• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The other difference that came to my mind was that DK Jr. was flat-out replaced by a new character in Diddy when Rare's redesign for the character was deemed too far from the original, and only got used later on in Tennis when Camelot wasn't sure who owned Diddy. Since K. Rool, there's never been a new villain or enemy group to usurp his role, allowing him to keep the title by default. That's something that I don't think will change anytime soon, especially not if he makes even just one more appearance.
The other thing is precisely how long DK Jr. appeared in comparison to K. Rool. DK Jr. was in, what, DK Jr. and DK Jr. Math? Was there anything else? Yeah, he appeared in a few spinoffs here and there, but that was it.

K. Rool appeared consistently for 14 years. That's a much, much bigger track record than DK Jr. got.

Seriously, its ridiculous about all these contrived comparisons people keep trying to make to discredit how important K. Rool is to the DK franchise and how "unlikely" he is to come back. Another one I've seen is that stupid pic comparing K. Rool, the MAIN antagonist of the DK franchise for 14 years, to Wart, a one-time Mario villain.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I think Dixie and K. Rool are major characters but they're not super important. DKCR demonstrated that DK can sell without either of them. If both of them were cut from the series it would still sell well as long as they kept Diddy and stayed true to the Country formula.

Diddy is like Luigi in that his individual character is probably more popular than the main protagonist. Diddy could probably go off on his own and make titles that sell, eg. Diddy Kong Racing.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I think Dixie and K. Rool are major characters but they're not super important. DKCR demonstrated that DK can sell without either of them. If both of them were cut from the series it would still sell well as long as they kept Diddy and stayed true to the Country formula.

Diddy is like Luigi in that his individual character is probably more popular than the main protagonist. Diddy could probably go off on his own and make titles that sell, eg. Diddy Kong Racing.
Men, they could cut Diddy and the game would still sell well. But sales and relevancy don't make a good character, personality does and Diddy's got plenty but K. Rool has more in my opinion.

Platformers are rarely known for their interesting antagonists, K. Rool is a great exception to that formula.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Men, they could cut Diddy and the game would still sell well. But sales and relevancy don't make a good character, personality does and Diddy's got plenty but K. Rool has more in my opinion.

Platformers are rarely known for their interesting antagonists, K. Rool is a great exception to that formula.
The original question was which character was more important. The truth is neither character is really that important because the series would still do well if neither of them ever showed up again anyway.

Diddy is on a different level. If the next title didn't include Diddy sales would probably take a hit, unless it's a solo DK experience. Although Jungle Beat didn't do that great anyway so even then it'd still probably suffer.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

My problem is however: When will they indeed give Diddy his spin-off title? I've been waiting for it forever.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That's not really a spinoff I'd say, but wouldn't Diddy's Kong Quest count for that?
Technically yes it should of course. But it was Rare's creation, and my point being that Nintendo nor Retro really has done anything with Diddy himself. Outside of him being Donkey's "power up", which is an extreme downgraded role from what was before. Sure, Rare didn't put as much focus on :4dk: himself as Nintendo and Retro do, but more the world around him. And in order to do so, he needed a strong supporting cast. :4diddy: was as important to the 'Golden Days Of Rare's Donkey Kong Country' as :4dk:, if not more important.

Anyway, if @ Dre89 Dre89 is right and Dixie Kong and King K.Rool are indeed lesser namesakes than Diddy in the franchise, I want them to make a Diddy Kong spin-off as soon as possible, so that the King can return as well. Ideally I'd like a DKCR-styled game starring Diddy and Dixie as a classic tag team.

DKC has Returned, but am still awaiting of the return of something even grander; Donkey Kong Country 2.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

In terms of marketing value, sure.

In terms of narrative role, it's kind of difficult to outright replace the main antagonist, at least without significant fan backlash demanding his imminent return.

My problem is however: When will they indeed give Diddy his spin-off title? I've been waiting for it forever.
Kinda surprised they haven't already, seeing as how Luigi and even Yoshi got their own spin-off series.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Honestly I don't think Diddy needs a spinoff, unless it's another Diddy Kong Racing. Donkey Kong Country 2 sits in my mind as one of the greatest games of all time, that's Diddy's game and I know that no spinoff platformer will ever live up to that game.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Honestly I don't think Diddy needs a spinoff, unless it's another Diddy Kong Racing. Donkey Kong Country 2 sits in my mind as one of the greatest games of all time, that's Diddy's game and I know that no spinoff platformer will ever live up to that game.
True dat though. DKC2 will never be topped, it's literally the peak of gaming. At least, in my humble, modest opinion.

Still, wouldn't mind seeing Diddy Kong spin-offs that at least tried to step into DKC2's glorious footsteps.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
The original question was which character was more important. The truth is neither character is really that important because the series would still do well if neither of them ever showed up again anyway.

Diddy is on a different level. If the next title didn't include Diddy sales would probably take a hit, unless it's a solo DK experience. Although Jungle Beat didn't do that great anyway so even then it'd still probably suffer.
This is actually an interesting discussion topic, since there are multiple ways to look at it. If we measure importance in terms of "who is needed to sell a game?" neither K. Rool nor Dixie qualify, since Returns' barebones approach to DKC still sold millions (and TF sold less, albeit due to other factors). But can this really be attributed to DK and Diddy being present? Maybe, since Jungle Beat sure didn't come anywhere close to Returns, but how much of that was due to its overall package vs. its characters?

After the "experimental" approaches to DK during the GameCube era, people were calling for DKC's gameplay en masse. The general public seems to view Retro as a "golden dumpster" into which to place all of Nintendo's inactive franchises, and DKC easily fit the bill in 2010 (hence the b****ing in reponse to TF, a non-revival DKC). But back to characters, I think gameplay trumps characters for the most part in terms of sales. . .example, would the presence of Mario really have saved Captain Toad from mediocrity? Would the Mario cast have prevented Wonderful 101 from flopping? Heck, depending on how you look at this game's newcomer roster, this Smash title sold well despite the absence of any noteworthy first party additions.

An alternate interpretation to character importance could be "if you take this character out of a new game, what's the reaction?" Very few people are out there requesting that Wart return to Mario (his name does come up, but often in the context of "We need someone other than Bowser" to relieve Mario's creative bankruptcy with boss fights). But if you followed that suggestion and sat Bowser out for a game, a lot of people would go absolutely nuts, because he's that intertwined with his franchise. K. Rool and Dixie aren't to the same extent, since the DKC universe only existed from 1994- vs. DK's existence from 1981-, and Diddy was the bigger breakout star. But people were still upset when neither were in Returns and wanted both back (albeit phrased sometimes as "a more unique villain like K. Rool" or "More Kongs"). That sets them above a sizable chunk of characters, including a handful already in Smash.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Speaking of Spinoff's, would you guys like to see K. Rool have one of his own? if Bowser and Ganondorf can go on their own adventures from time to time (Bowser's Inside Story and Hyrule Warriors) then what's to stop our King?

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Either a cover or a dramatic reading (or both) would be a great bonus to come out of this thread, since it's by far the most-posted video in here.
If someone gets me the lyrics, I might just read it somewhat dramatically.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
If someone gets me the lyrics, I might just read it somewhat dramatically.
Weeeeeeeeeellllll! Listen here, while I make it clear!
I can't believe you can't see what we see here!
A crocodile the superior species,
You're Donkey Croc, initials D.C!
Looking at your claws,
you could be one of my in-laws!
Because you're one of us! One of us!
Your mean and green, scaly sheen
Can't you see you're one of us?
You walk the line, my brother Croc.
Arm in arm, together we rock!

Well, if what you say is true...
Then I guess we're brothers, same color and a similar view.
With these fangs and this scaly skin...
There's no question that we're family, next of kin!

Cause I'm one of you! One of you!
Same crew, nothing I can do. I can see I'm one of you.
One of you, one of you! The same crew,
I'm really one of you!

Get to it.:4dk:
I remember all this because ages ago, I made a Smash Bros. themed version. Wish I could find it.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I thought this as a kid, then I realized that it really does suck. But its kinda charming in its own way.
Oh come on. It's not that bad. Well, this may just be me speaking, but I think that even if it has some bad parts, it is still good. I especially like the songs, personally.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Weeeeeeeeeellllll! Listen here, while I make it clear!
I can't believe you can't see what we see here!
A crocodile the superior species,
You're Donkey Croc, initials D.C!
Looking at your claws,
you could be one of my in-laws!
Because you're one of us! One of us!
Your mean and green, scaly sheen
You walk the line, my brother Croc.
Arm in arm, together we rock!

Well, if what you say is true...
Then I guess we're brothers, same color and a similar view.
With these fangs and this scaly skin...
There's no question that we're family, next of kin!

Same crew, nothing I can do. I can see I'm one of you.
I'm really one of you!

Get to it.:4dk:
I remember all this because ages ago, I made a Smash Bros. themed version. Wish I could find it.
Do you people want me to simply record it seriously or silly?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Say, the topic says something about taking a survey in Club Nintendo. So, is that still available?

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Say, the topic says something about taking a survey in Club Nintendo. So, is that still available?
You have until March 31st to register your products and fill out your surveys, and until June 30th to redeem your coins. Speaking of which, the final rewards have been announced, and Donkey Kong Country 3D is available for a mere 600 coins. Though I can't say I'm a fan of that version. The framerate ruins it for me. Unless they can magically fix that in an update, I'll always prefer the Wii original.

https://club.nintendo.com/rewards.do (the site is VERY slow right now)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
If possible, go through your Wii games and look for codes. Even if the paper that comes with them says to register the games to MyNintendo, they'll still work (Wii Fit got me 100 coins and Kirby's Return to Dreamland got me 50, though those were the only unusually high ones). The same might go for DS and Gamecube games; I've found codes in some of those boxes, but the site hasn't been stable enough for me to confirm that they work.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
:4mario::4dk::4link::4samus::4yoshi::4kirby::4fox::4pikachu:
Weeeeeelllll, Listen here, while we make it clear!
We're so glad you're finally here!
A crocodile, a banana stealer,
You're K. Rool, a real death dealer
Looking at your jawwwwws,
You could be one of our big draws!
Cause you're one of us! One of us!
Your A-moves and final smash!
A newcomer! To our clash!
Arm to arm, together we smash!

Weeellll, since what you said is trueeee....
Then I'm a smash brother, with alt colors and a similar view...
With these B moooovess...and this HD skiiinnnn...
There's no question that I'm no longer a haaas-beeeeen...

Same crew, nothing you (:4dk:) can do. I'm finally one of you.
I'm finally one of youuuuuuuuuuuuu!
@ Xzsmmc Xzsmmc

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Hey guys, it's been a while.

Anyways, did you guys know that one of the tags you can randomly get is KROOL?

I'm not sure if it means anything, but the only other character other than KROOL with a tag that didn't make an appearance was Isaac.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Hey guys, it's been a while.

Anyways, did you guys know that one of the tags you can randomly get is KROOL?

I'm not sure if it means anything, but the only other character other than KROOL with a tag that didn't make an appearance was Isaac.
That was in Brawl as well. It means nothing at all.

Top Bottom