• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'd honestly love that, DKC3 being my favorite of the SNES trilogy. Though, it would be an odd choice. How would he work? Andross 2.0?
If we ever get a DK assist (it's really stupid that we still haven't) I say it'll be either a non-fighter Kong (rip in peace Chunky) or an Animal Buddy. That Gogoat pokeball should've been a Rambi assist, imo.
I'd be over the moon with a Klubba Assist Trophy~

"THERE BE NO PASSIN' THROUGH THESE GATES, YE SALTY DOGS. TIME FOR AN INSTANT KO, HAR HAR~!"

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I was just on my Club Nintendo account to find out that aside from the starting survey (and I could be mistaken) there was also a post-survey! So I filled mine out for Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS mentioning how vital King K. Rool as DLC could be to the game. And I know I already suggested it when I joined the forum, but if we want this to happen. I advise EVERYONE in here to see if they have any surveys/post surveys in their Club Nintendo account and to fill them out for the 3DS (and soon Wii U) version! Here's the responses I gave for mine:

Nintendo DOES read these Surveys for those of you whom don't know, as mentioned in the official wordpress for the Kampaign, they have been known to respond to them sometimes through actions! (Also fill out any DKCR3D / Tropical Freeze surveys of how we want the Kremlings and King K. Rool back in RetroDKC3!)

P.S. in terms of today's words of Sakurai, its merely a marketing strategy saying to get people to at first buy the game thinking they have the full package. And even if Sakurai said no, It really isn't up to him. Nintendo has a wallet that needs money printing ;)
You beat me to mentioning this in the thread, but yeah, we know Club Nintendo responses actually get read by Nintendo staff members. Whether or not they listen to what they receive is up in the air, but consider that, in the latest Paper Mario, the developers removed all story elements because "less than one percent of Club Nintendo responses praised the story." These forms are a clear way to let our voices be heard, so let's squeeze every last drop we can out of them.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
You beat me to mentioning this in the thread, but yeah, we know Club Nintendo responses actually get read by Nintendo staff members. Whether or not they listen to what they receive is up in the air, but consider that, in the latest Paper Mario, the developers removed all story elements because "less than one percent of Club Nintendo responses praised the story." These forms are a clear way to let our voices be heard, so let's squeeze every last drop we can out of them.
Was that for the better or the worse for Paper Mario: Sticker Star?

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So, guys, at this point K. Rool has no competition at all in the forms of potential other villain candidates to be added in Smash. Ridley's never happening.

Zem-raj said:
“I definitely know that Ridley’s a much-anticipated name for fans, but if we made Ridley as a fighter, it wouldn’t be Ridley any longer,” Sakurai told IGN in an email interview. “It’d have to be shrunk down, or its wings reduced in size, or be unable to fly around freely.”

Providing accurate portrayals of characters is something I want to pay ample attention to,” he continued. “If I don’t stick to that thought, then we’d have to lower the quality or break the balance of the game. Something that goes way off spec could break the entire game.”

Sakurai instead opted to include Ridley as a stage boss for Pyrosphere, a new arena debuting in Smash Wii U. “Instead of going through a lot of very convoluted hocus-pocus to make Ridley a fighter, I figured it’d be better to keep Ridley as it currently is, the correct way, and have it feel like a truly threatening presence,” Sakurai explained. “There are other icons, too, like Metal Face and the Yellow Devil, which help effectively portray each of their world settings. They go a long way toward deepening the game world, and I think it’s been fun to experiment with.”

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Was that for the better or the worse for Paper Mario: Sticker Star?
Never played the game, but listening to friends who have, absolutely for the worse. The game was apparently lining up to be similar to Thousand-Year Door, by all accounts a superb game, before Miyamoto and other higher-ups demanded that all non-Mario characters be thrown out and the storyline be simplified down to yet another Bowser plot.

Was just coming in here to post that Ridley article. If I weren't already sincerely hoping for new blood directing the game next time around, this clinched it, in my mind. This is a complete cop-out, an arrogant one to boot. . .the "correct way" to handle the character, making him a purple puppy dog, my scaly green arse.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Ridley being DLC was a pretty long shot compared to the other characters anyway. But yeah, now I guess I can say I know the true despair that Chrom fans felt. I guess it strengthens my will for that certain other reptilian villain even more.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I dunno... I still would find it weird having someone take over for Sakurai, but I do like the idea of a new developer getting behind the game.

Ridley being DLC was a pretty long shot compared to the other characters anyway. But yeah, now I guess I can say I know the true despair that Chrom fans felt. I guess it strengthens my will for that certain other reptilian villain even more.
The good news is, based on everything I'm hearing... K. Rool is probably the most likely DLC character at this point. Popularity and sales matter a lot, and K. Rool is very popular. Smash DLC seems like it could take longer than we were expecting; namely, it may not start until after Mewtwo is released, or shortly before. Which could be as late as potentially June, around E3. By then we may have already learned about K. Rool's return to the DK franchise.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Was just coming in here to post that Ridley article. If I weren't already sincerely hoping for new blood directing the game next time around, this clinched it, in my mind. This is a complete cop-out, an arrogant one to boot. . .the "correct way" to handle the character, making him a purple puppy dog, my scaly green arse.
I actually agree with Sakurai's reasoning, but he contradicts himself too many time for me to take him seriously. When has a Wario game ever portrayed the title character as a fat slob who does nothing but eats and farts? Sure the WarioWare games have their fair share of gross humor, but not to such an extreme extent. As usual, Sakurai just makes things up as he goes along in order to justify his biases against certain characters. I wonder what his reason was for not including King K. Rool.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
So, guys, at this point K. Rool has no competition at all in the forms of potential other villain candidates to be added in Smash. Ridley's never happening.
You've gotta be ****ting me. So the Too Big idiots were right on the money with Sakurai's thought process.

I think it's time for some alcohol.

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
I actually agree with Sakurai's reasoning, but he contradicts himself too many time for me to take him seriously. When has a Wario game ever portrayed the title character as a fat slob who does nothing but eats and farts? Sure the WarioWare games have their fair share of gross humor, but not to such an extreme extent. As usual, Sakurai just makes things up as he goes along in order to justify his biases against certain characters. I wonder what his reason was for not including King K. Rool.
I couldn't agree with you more. Sakurai isn't the only one who does this (looks at Akira Toriyama for some of the more recent info for DBZ) but Sakurai changes his mind like the weather. I will bet money on him making another Kid Icarus game despite him saying he wouldn't. I honestly think it may be for the best if we get a new director for the next Smash.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
You've gotta be ****ting me. So the Too Big idiots were right on the money with Sakurai's thought process.

I think it's time for some alcohol.
They weren't idiots, it was brain-dead obvious to anyone who wasn't biased by being a Ridley fan that he's not appropriate as a playable character and that he wouldn't be made one.

He's a giant, non-humanoid boss character whose size and features would have to be altered greatly for him to be a fighter. If people think Ridley is a reasonable fighter, then literally every Nintendo character ever would be reasonable as you could just 'resize them and alter their features to the point where they have barely any resemblance to how they were in their main games'.

I honestly have no sympathy for Ridley fans because they were stupid enough to get their hopes up over a clearly inappropriate character (many were convinced he'd be playable) and were hostile to anyone who provided THE LEGIT REASONS why he's not.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
They weren't idiots, it was brain-dead obvious to anyone who wasn't biased by being a Ridley fan that he's not appropriate as a playable character and that he wouldn't be made one.

He's a giant, non-humanoid boss character whose size and features would have to be altered greatly for him to be a fighter. If people think Ridley is a reasonable fighter, then literally every Nintendo character ever would be reasonable as you could just 'resize them and alter their features to the point where they have barely any resemblance to how they were in their main games'.

I honestly have no sympathy for Ridley fans because they were stupid enough to get their hopes up over a clearly inappropriate character (many were convinced he'd be playable) and were hostile to anyone who provided THE LEGIT REASONS why he's not.
I don't think think calling people stupid for disagreeing with you is appropriate forum conduct. I can see WHY Sakurai decided to omit Ridley, but I'm a firm believer in doing things, certain things that you may personally find objectionable, in order to please the fans. Sakurai is far too arrogant for that, and I hope he handles the inevitable backlash with class.

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
I don't think think calling people stupid for disagreeing with you is appropriate forum conduct. I can see WHY Sakurai decided to omit Ridley, but I'm a firm believer in doing things, certain things that you may personally find objectionable, in order to please the fans. Sakurai is far too arrogant for that, and I hope he handles the inevitable backlash with class.
Why do I have a feeling Sakurai would answer to K. Rool fans "I didn't put him in the game because he isn't relevant"? Like you mentioned, it seems like he randomly makes things up as he goes. Can we please start making a list of potential new directors? I love Sakurai to death, but if he keeps doing this and also contradicting himself, then we need a new director.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I stopped caring for Ridley after the 3DS roster got revealed, so I don't care about this news. Still, I sympathize with Ridley supporters because this reason is clearly BS.

Anyway, with Ridley out of the way, that leaves King K. Rool as the last of the big four (the other three being Mewtwo, Mega Man, and Ridley). He's the last one that hasn't been either playable or totally shot down (as he could still appear as DLC).

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman

"He's a giant, non-humanoid boss character whose size and features would have to be altered greatly for him to be a fighter."
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/humanoid?s=t
Dictionary said:
"Having Human characteristics or form."
Just saying. I also don't see why they're idiots for wanting a character, if fans want a character playable just make the adjustments for him/her to be playable. I mean this game is fan-service, so fans can't have a character playable just because other people think it would look wrong to them? In the end, it'd be just more content towards the game that would be a unique fighter (you know as in not a clone, the thing everyone ******* about when Smash 3DS released). On another note, Sakurai changes his opinions (and some times contradicts himself in the process) too many times to take everything he says as if its set in stone, this is the same guy who said Animal Crossing characters wouldn't be "appropriate" for Smash due to their cuteness, but look at where we are in 2014 with the Villager as a playable fighter. I never thought Ridley was playable to be honest. I just wanted him in so the arguing would stop, but it SEEMS at this point it is how it is. I honestly don't care if he's never included at this point.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If the Project M team recognizes the opportunity that has fallen into their lap and adds Ridley into some future update, the cognitive dissonance will even more delicious to watch unfold than it already is with the various modders. "Ridley cannot work, ever ever ever, because it doesn't look right! Project M doesn't count because I say so!"

And also a big spit in the face to the guy who believes his interpretation of characters is the objectively correct one. . .Mario being a super serious guy, Luigi being a creepy weirdo, Bowser being a mindless monster, DK being a dumb ape, Wario being an obese farting man, etc.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
It wasn't just me, pretty much everyone who wasn't a hardcore Ridley fan knew how it would play out, it was that obvious. It's one thing to simply hope for an obviously unlikely character, but to practically expect him when he'd been clearly teased as a boss and be hostile towards anyone who thought otherwise was stupid.

They used to mock the 'too big' people, because they were so confident he'd be playable and thought that argument was so stupid it wouldn't be a factor. They must feel really stupid now, now that the boss tease WAS ACTUALLY BECAUSE HE'S A BOSS, and that his size was a legitimate obstacle for his playability.

Last edited:

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
Just heard about the Ridley thing. That's complete BS. Wario, DK and several others are not portrayed accurately. Aside from the lack of DK content and the cutting of veterans, I am stating how idiotic that is in the Club Nintendo survey.

At least K. Rool is the most popular newcomer now.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Just heard about the Ridley thing. That's complete BS. Wario, DK and several others are not portrayed accurately. Aside from the lack of DK content and the cutting of veterans, I am stating how idiotic that is in the Club Nintendo survey.

At least K. Rool is the most popular newcomer now.
He already was. Ridley just had a more vocal fanbase.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Ya no, these statements always seem off, due probably in part due to translation, but fact is half of the time it seems to be lack of personal interest, and perhaps the fact he hasn't come up with an idea he'd like. Fact is with enough creativity anything is possible, and fact is there are a number of iconic characters that would be great in smash and could be considered too big!

Fact is the roster is starting to reach a point where while we will get a couple of more iconic characters, there are a number of either great power, ridiculous moveset and size who could bring a lot to the game. Issue is we've reached a point where rather than add characters in unique and diverse ways they're trying to make it balance more like a traditional fighting game.
At this point, what we need is a mode where balance is thrown out the window for fun and characters, a Boss mode persay, where characters that wouldn't be 'balance-able' could be added to the game in their full glory, and helping bring back some classic chaos

Also the "Stay true to the characters attributes" line pisses me off since Wario has nothing representing his classic Wario Land moveset, DK only just got his role, and well the travesty of Ganondorf

Admittedly, that means K.Rool has a higher chance, but I still feel bad for the Ridley fans, since it seems well more of a bias and lack of effort to an extent

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
Mewtwo and Mega Man are in, Ridley is dead, no news of any cut veterans...there's literally nothing standing in K. Rool's way now. He's the only member of the Big Four that's unaccounted for, and the most popular newcomer in general.

Hopes, what are you doing? Get back in the basement where you belong

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
If the Project M team recognizes the opportunity that has fallen into their lap and adds Ridley into some future update, the cognitive dissonance will even more delicious to watch unfold than it already is with the various modders. "Ridley cannot work, ever ever ever, because it doesn't look right! Project M doesn't count because I say so!"

And also a big spit in the face to the guy who believes his interpretation of characters is the objectively correct one. . .Mario being a super serious guy, Luigi being a creepy weirdo, Bowser being a mindless monster, DK being a dumb ape, Wario being an obese farting man, etc.
Great, now you have me wanting to do a model of him with some more modern details mixed with NES proportions, fact is Smash should take all aspects of a character not just one, and make a version that fits Smash, which is part of the reason Wario is a travesty

again though K.Rool has a good chance, and we need to keep pushing and get the word out, we don't want the Mewtwo effect where it blew up in a stream of good support and a ton of Naysayers, we want to keep the good word strong, and help spread it

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
Ya no, these statements always seem off, due probably in part due to translation, but fact is half of the time it seems to be lack of personal interest, and perhaps the fact he hasn't come up with an idea he'd like. Fact is with enough creativity anything is possible, and fact is there are a number of iconic characters that would be great in smash and could be considered too big!

Fact is the roster is starting to reach a point where while we will get a couple of more iconic characters, there are a number of either great power, ridiculous moveset and size who could bring a lot to the game. Issue is we've reached a point where rather than add characters in unique and diverse ways they're trying to make it balance more like a traditional fighting game.
At this point, what we need is a mode where balance is thrown out the window for fun and characters, a Boss mode persay, where characters that wouldn't be 'balance-able' could be added to the game in their full glory, and helping bring back some classic chaos

Also the "Stay true to the characters attributes" line pisses me off since Wario has nothing representing his classic Wario Land moveset, DK only just got his role, and well the travesty of Ganondorf

Admittedly, that means K.Rool has a higher chance, but I still feel bad for the Ridley fans, since it seems well more of a bias and lack of effort to an extent
And this is where Sakurai's unending contradictory of himself shows yet again. You have to take almost anything the guy says with a grain of salt. "Animal Crossing characters don't fit with Smash" :4villager:, "Marth and Roy will be Japanese exclusive characters in Melee" :marthmelee::roymelee: in NA and Europe, "We accurately represent characters in Smash" :4ganondorf: :4wario2: :4darkpit: would like to say otherwise. And the list goes on and on.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
And this is where Sakurai's unending contradictory of himself shows yet again. You have to take almost anything the guy says with a grain of salt. "Animal Crossing characters don't fit with Smash" :4villager:, "Marth and Roy will be Japanese exclusive characters in Melee" :marthmelee::roymelee: in NA and Europe, "We accurately represent characters in Smash" :4ganondorf: :4wario2: :4darkpit: would like to say otherwise. And the list goes on and on.
Unfortunately I'm sure the comments about Ridley pretty much are final at this point. But he does contradict himself left and right, which is why I don't buy this DLC comment.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Actually apparently someone has already made a playable Ridley in Smash

Also just because he is primarily air doesn't mean he has to be in the air, just make a lot of his attacks result in upward movement, and hovering base

But this isn't the place for this XD

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
... Oh how much I want a new director right now. So I suppose :4littlemac:is an angry, growling hulk ****** in his games? :4duckhunt: totally has the man's best friend personality in his game. :4pacman: totally could use Mappy's trampoline. :4roy: totally has the same body size as Bowser Jr., hell all of the Koopalings have the same body size as each other! :4robinm: can use nosferatu, and :4wiifit: has the powers to throw beams of energy at people!

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
The whole thing about Ridley being awkward while sized down is so bs. I wonder what goes through Sakurai's head sometimes.
Sigh. Both DK and F-Zero got one new stage and one new song. Course it had to be two franchises I adore.
I feel your pain bro.
I'd be over the moon with a Klubba Assist Trophy~

"THERE BE NO PASSIN' THROUGH THESE GATES, YE SALTY DOGS. TIME FOR AN INSTANT KO, HAR HAR~!"
I want to see Gen. Klump as an Assist Trophy, throwing exploding oranges at everyone.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Imagine the butthurt if he said that about K.Rool like some Japanese fans do.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
You are a Ridley hating bigot, but I like the way you think.
I don't hate Ridely himself. I was mostly indifferent to him, if anything I came to think he was cool from the Ridley thread, where I saw his designs and found out that he was sentient and had a backstory and not just a mindless savage.

What I didn't like was the attitude of the Ridley supporters. He was always unlikely due to his size and composition, got teased as a boss, yet his fans still expected him to be playable and were hostile to/mocked anyone who thought otherwise.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't hate Ridely himself. I was mostly indifferent to him, if anything I came to think he was cool from the Ridley thread, where I saw his designs and found out that he was sentient and had a backstory and not just a mindless savage.

What I didn't like was the attitude of the Ridley supporters. He was always unlikely due to his size and composition, got teased as a boss, yet his fans still expected him to be playable and were hostile to/mocked anyone who thought otherwise.
To be perfectly fair, Ridley fans have been bullied since Pre-Brawl.

They had to be stubborn to survive.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
To be perfectly fair, Ridley fans have been bullied since Pre-Brawl.

They had to be stubborn to survive.
So what you're basically saying is that the reasons why Ridley wouldn't be playable this game have been obvious to the public since pre-2008.

Being stubborn with regards to character speculation is just stupid, because it doesn't increase the character's chances at all. Bullying is wrong (if it even really was bullying) but there's a reason why they get singled out as opposed to other support communities. It's because it's obvious to everyone else he's not appropriate for being a playable character yet they insist otherwise.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So what you're basically saying is that the reasons why Ridley wouldn't be playable this game have been obvious to the public since pre-2008.

Being stubborn with regards to character speculation is just stupid, because it doesn't increase the character's chances at all. Bullying is wrong (if it even really was bullying) but there's a reason why they get singled out as opposed to other support communities. It's because it's obvious to everyone else he's not appropriate for being a playable character yet they insist otherwise.
To be fair...

I could say exactly the same for K.Rool.

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman

There is no "obvious" reason Ridley should not be playable, and if you say "He's too big" I will literally reach through the internet to slap you.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
There is no "obvious" reason Ridley should not be playable, and if you say "He's too big" I will literally reach through the internet to slap you.
No slapping of anyone.

Slap free zone.

Only hugs and Karesses.

Top Bottom