• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
No matter what, just continue requesting King K. Rool and show some desire for him to be playable. Sakurai may eventually look at King K. Rool when considering more DLC characters.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Captain Toad and Toad, two new characters for SSB6!
Separate but equal, of course!

Also Roy, Chrom, and Lyn. Gotta rep those anime men who aren't psy adepts.

Obviously we will get Medusa, Pandora and Hades.

Two more Mii fighter options.

Monita.

Solo Popo.

Greninja and Charizard cut in favor or Blaziken and Grumpig.

Am I missing anyone?

OH! I think we are likely to get the WFT male/female as separate.
Robin's too.

There we go.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
And Toad.

Poor guy is more iconic than all of them combined and he never gets any respect.
True. I was fine with Toad until we got Bowser Jr.

Wait, King of Swing had a playable K.Rool and it'll be on VC? Sweet! *US release* Dammit, no PAL
It'll be on PAL soon enough. Hey, you get DKC1-3 first!

I still want K. Rool in a DKC platformer. He's playable in nearly every DK spinoff, let's get him in a main DK platformer! Give him the Blunderbuss as his gun, Kopter as his double jump, and hilarious poses during his jump attacks. Have it so that in DKCR3, K. Rool joins up with DK to defeat a common foe, then he betrays DK and you fight DK as K. Rool and K. Rool as DK (and the other Kongs). It'd be glorious.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

At this point, he's pretty much the only big name first party character left.
Once King K. Rool gets in as playable, there's really no other reason for me to discuss in threads of unconfirmed characters. I'll have all the characters I care for with this game and the previous games and as such, no further reason to pay attention to characters for future Smash games (although I am already completely done with speculation at this point). There are others I do want, but I either strongly doubt them or I can live without them.
I didn't think his current voice was too bad, but damn that is absymal.
Wait, King of Swing had a playable K.Rool and it'll be on VC? Sweet! *US release* Dammit, no PAL
You got the DKC trilogy on the Wii U Virtual Console as does Japan (they even have the Gameboy Color exclusive Donkey Kong Land 3 whereas we don't). North America STILL doesn't have the DKC trilogy after all of this time. Beside, King of Swings is certainly coming anyway.

speaking of which, if DS games on the Virtual Console becomes a thing, I wonder if we could get Jungle Climbers?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Once King K. Rool gets in as playable, there's really no other reason for me to discuss in threads of unconfirmed characters. I'll have all the characters I care for with this game and the previous games and as such, no further reason to pay attention to characters for future Smash games (although I am already completely done with speculation at this point). There are others I do want, but I either strongly doubt them or I can live without them.I didn't think his current voice was too bad, but damn that is absymal.You got the DKC trilogy on the Wii U Virtual Console as does Japan (they even have the Gameboy Color exclusive Donkey Kong Land 3 whereas we don't). North America STILL doesn't have the DKC trilogy after all of this time. Beside, King of Swings is certainly coming anyway.

speaking of which, if DS games on the Virtual Console becomes a thing, I wonder if we could get Jungle Climbers?
If DS games become a thing, yes, definitely. Maybe even Diddy Kong Racing DS, though probably not if we're getting DKRU.

D

Deleted member

If DS games become a thing, yes, definitely. Maybe even Diddy Kong Racing DS, though probably not if we're getting DKRU.
Not sure why the release of Diddy Kong Racing Wii U would interfere with a potential Diddy Kong Racing DS. Rare was still allowed to develop games for Nintendo during the GBA and DS era and I haven't seen anything indicating they couldn't do the same for a 3DS.

Plus it's not like a game's released had stopped an older game from coming.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Not sure why the release of Diddy Kong Racing Wii U would interfere with a potential Diddy Kong Racing DS. Rare was still allowed to develop games for Nintendo during the GBA and DS era and I haven't seen anything indicating they couldn't do the same for a 3DS.

Plus it's not like a game's released had stopped an older game from coming.
Diddy Kong Racing DS already exists, though. I was talking about porting it to Wii U VC if Wii U gets DS VC. However, then I wonder: what's the point if we just get DKRU anyway?

Also, as I recall correctly, Rare's handheld division closed years ago.

D

Deleted member

Diddy Kong Racing DS already exists, though. I was talking about porting it to Wii U VC if Wii U gets DS VC. However, then I wonder: what's the point if we just get DKRU anyway?

Also, as I recall correctly, Rare's handheld division closed years ago.
...well, there goes that hope of a Diddy Kong Racing on the Virtual Console.

At least I got the N64 version to go to.

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
I believe that Japan is already getting DS games. They have a brain age game.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I believe that Japan is already getting DS games. They have a brain age game.
On the Wii U Virtual Console?

...well, there goes that hope of a Diddy Kong Racing on the Virtual Console.

At least I got the N64 version to go to.
Are you referring to Rare's handheld team being killed off?

I don't really see the problem. Nintendo owns the publishing rights to the game.

Last edited:

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
On the Wii U Virtual Console?
I believe so. It's a fine example of how they DO have to make modifications to the game. The game is not displayed on two screens, since the gameplay has the DS sideways.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Ah, I do see one Brain Age DS game, so its definitely possible.

I believe so. It's a fine example of how they DO have to make modifications to the game. The game is not displayed on two screens, since the gameplay has the DS sideways.
Well, what they'd need to do is enable the ability to turn the screen.

Wow, i forgot the gamepad could act like the second screen for the DS.
Of course it could, the problem is its complex. Looking down to the GamePad and back up to the TV would get very frustrating.

Raxxel

NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
Wow, i forgot the gamepad could act like the second screen for the DS.
Yep. Now allow me to cry to myself knowing that NA won't be getting DS VC for a long time, and when they finally do, they will take forever to add that one Layton game I missed.
Of course it could, the problem is its complex. Looking down to the GamePad and back up to the TV would get very frustrating.
You could just hold the gamepad up to the television.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
K.Rool was also playable in one other game right? That racing game...
K. Rool has been playable in 4 games at this point, but has been planned to be playable in more.

K. Rool was playable in King of Swing, Jungle Climber, Barrel Blast, and Super Mario Sluggers.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
Hey guys, you're going to love this one. I guess K. Rool isn't unique enough for lord Sakurai.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/11/...n-clone-characters-and-costumes-in-smash-bros

Sakurai said:
We do various kinds of research during the planning stage. We consider the inclusion of characters that feature in games being developed at the same time, are highly requested by users and are popular within their series. We then think about how they could be unique if they were to appear in Super Smash Bros. Even if a character is highly popular and famous, they might not be chosen to appear as a fighter in Smash Bros because they lack uniqueness.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Hey guys, you're going to love this one. I guess K. Rool isn't unique enough for lord Sakurai.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/11/...n-clone-characters-and-costumes-in-smash-bros
No, that doesn't mean anything. No specific characters were referenced here. Also keep in mind, characters could've started development but been cancelled.

To suggest that this immediately means K. Rool isn't "unique" enough is ludicrous. This isn't directed at K. Rool at all. K. Rool's lack of a recent appearance would be more to blame than K. Rool not being unique.

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
To suggest that this immediately means K. Rool isn't "unique" enough is ludicrous. This isn't directed at K. Rool at all. K. Rool's lack of a recent appearance would be more to blame than K. Rool not being unique.
I hope you realize that I was being sarcastic.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
I honestly think K. Rool didn't even come up when they were planning the game outside of a trophy. As in, they were just like "hey, did you get the K. Rool trophy done?" "Yeah" and that's all they ever said about him. There's just no way that he was considered without getting in unless they really do have some sort of vendetta against Donkey Kong.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I honestly think K. Rool didn't even come up when they were planning the game outside of a trophy. As in, they were just like "hey, did you get the K. Rool trophy done?" "Yeah" and that's all they ever said about him. There's just no way that he was considered without getting in unless they really do have some sort of vendetta against Donkey Kong.
No, he may have been considered and they were like "Oh, K. Rool wasn't in Returns, let's not bother." And Tropical Freeze if they even BOTHERED to ask Retro about TF, of course.

Rattle-Kalimba

Smash Apprentice
Maybe Sakurai just hates KKR and DK in general. I mean look the DK-Series, one of Nintendo biggest Franchises, only has two characters, only two Smash Run enemies, only one new stage, no new items, and they recycled one song over 8 times! While a way smaller franchise like Kid Icarus gat's so much more content! That does not make any sense to me.

Let's be obvious: Sakurai hates the DK-Series and he always hated it. I mean look, we get absolutely nothing from the DK-Series in every SSB. the biggest step forward was including Diddy Kong in Brawl but that's was for it! If we get nothing now, after the big Comeback thanks to Retro, than we will get nothing. Why have all this great character if Nintendo really only wants to use DK and Diddy Kong?

Maybe they should sale Tiny, Lanky, Chunky, Kiddy, King K. Rool, the Kremlings, Taj and all the other Animals Buddies to some other company.

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
Quick question Ganondorf can ONLY be defeated by the Master Sword and Light Arrows correct? If the answer is "Yes" can you provide a source? Send it to me through a PM, I'm in the middle of a debate.

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Just wanted to share another thought with you guys that I've had for a while:

Although Krystal is my #1 most wanted newcomer for Smash and K. Rool is my #2 most wanted (in reality they're pretty much neck-and-neck), I have to say that K. Rool outright deserves it a lot more than Krystal does. He deserves to be in Smash and reclaim his position as the "Bowser" of the Donkey Kong series. I can understand Nintendo making new enemies for Donkey Kong and all, but not to the detriment of a prevalent villain. The new enemies shouldn't be an excuse for Nintendo to not have K. Rool in Donkey Kong, as an addition. I'm baffled, honestly. Why wouldn't Nintendo want to cement a prevalent villain in the main game series of Donkey Kong? I just don't get it. I mean, beyond all this, his potential and originality for Smash are off the freaking charts. His moves and style would undoubtedly make people smile even if they didn't know who he was! And that's something I don't think Nintendo really understands about him...

As for Krystal, the only reason why she tops K. Rool in my wanted list is because she needs it in order to become an interesting character for once. So much of her potential was lost in the shrouded past of Star Fox development, and she became restricted to high hell within the current lore and context of Star Fox (which we have Miyamoto to thank for). That's why Krystal is such a controversial character, in my opinion. The discussion about her has been based around the notion of whether or not she deserves a spot in Smash. Honestly, from what she has been in the series, she doesn't deserve it. However, if she can be redeemed, her best chances are through Smash, not Miyamoto. I'll link a longer version of a quote of why I supported Krystal, for those who are interested (but I'm going to hide it under a spoiler so that this post doesn't become too far off topic):

I supported Krystal for reasons that many people might not expect.

See, I always felt that Star Fox as a franchise has so much untapped potential. There are many things that can be brought to the table to breathe new life in the franchise. So many possibilities... some of which I discussed roughly 80-100 pages ago in this thread.

And yet, I knew Nintendo was restricting the franchise from these possibilities--whether it was intentional or not doesn't matter. So, if I already knew the franchise was being limited by focus, why did I support Krystal for Smash?

It's a multifaceted answer.

For starters, I'm not a guy who looks to the face value of things for enjoyment. I like to look at the implications.

For instance, a question I have asked myself a few times was: what would be implied unto the Star Fox franchise if Krystal managed to get in Smash with her staff?

Quite possibly, many things. Allow me to elaborate:

Long have I fancied the logic of exposure. If you understand the logic of exposure (and all it can imply), you would understand why many people want certain veterans back in Smash. They're used to these characters being in Smash, as they've already been exposed to them. If you're exposed to something for a certain amount of time, you could easily get used to it (not saying everyone does, but it is pretty effective).

Exposure is only half of the equation, however.

The thing you're exposed to generally needs to have effort put into it for you to eventually enjoy it.

Allow me to sidestep briefly with an important note: this second half of the equation is what Star Fox is missing as a franchise. The characters don't have that much effort put into them. For starters, you can't even really play as them. They're restricted to be things that revolve the story of Fox McCloud--you only really ever get to play as Fox.

Tell me, why do you think so many people are interested in the Star Fox characters in Smash Brothers?

It's simple. It completes the equation. They have effort put into them. Fox, Falco, and Wolf have NEVER had the chance to display their martial arts in ANY of the Star Fox games. This makes them interesting, particularly in the field of Smash. They've generally been restricted to the sky/space (or underwater in a few circumstances). Point is, they've usually had to use vehicles for their escapades. And when they were on-foot, well, it was very restricted and lackluster (Star Fox: Assault).

Another sidestep: being able to play as the character is a form of exposure. This is something that, like I said, was lacking from a lot of the Star Fox characters. Sure, Command allowed us to play as them, but it was the wrong way to go about it. There are other playable ways you could better distinguish the effort in the characters, and Smash is one of them.

Smash is a venue where some characters are able to do things they can't normally do in their franchises. We may not realize it, but it gives us an interesting perspective on these characters. This usually allows us to become even more interested in the characters, and deepens the experience as a whole. Naturally, because we are fans, we usually cross-reference our experiences of the franchises with the experience of Smash.

What does this have to do with Krystal? Many things, potentially.

For starters, having Krystal in Smash (granted she'd need something interesting, like her staff) would plant the seeds of exposure to the players. "Whoa, that's different". Or, "Wait, she can do that?!"

These are the sorts of inferences people make that pique interest value.

However, I'm not necessarily interested in the inferences made about Krystal in such hypothetical situations alone...

I'm more interested about the implications on the Star Fox franchise that result from these inferences made about Krystal in Smash.

For starters, the exposure of Krystal in Smash, what with her being different and actually enjoyable for once, would allow some people to become more open to the idea of her being in Star Fox. She is the epicenter of the negativity revolving the Star Fox franchise within the fandom. If this epicenter can be weakened by the exposure to her actually being an interesting character in Smash, the negativity that follows would also weaken.

If the negativity is replaced by positive outlook (as a result of them being exposed to an interesting Krystal for once), the fans would be less occupied by the things that are weighing the franchise down (because Krystal was the epicenter of negativity). They will be more able to look at the possibilities of Star Fox rather than "what's wrong" with it.

But that's not all.

You see, if they are less focused on the negativity, they would be more open to the idea that the developers make the decisions behind the games. Then, the realization hits:

"Oh, so it wasn't Krystal's fault that Star Fox has been so lackluster, it's the developers fault! I mean, look at what Sakurai did with Krystal in Smash! She's a lot better there than she has been in Star Fox!"

And from this realization, the talk about what could be done with Star Fox begins. They'll realize all the different gameplay styles that Star Fox could do: on-foot, aerial, in-space, underwater, etc. All in the same game. Oh, but then, there are subcategories in each style of gameplay. Depending on the situation, you could have it to where you focus on martial arts on-ground OR with weapons. Hell, give them some of their Smash Brothers abilities on the ground, like the Fox Illusion! Similar differences could be made from the other forms of gameplay that Star Fox could encompass. For instance, an upgrading system not only for your on-ground weapons or physical (or for Krystal, psychic) prowess, but also different kinds of upgrades for your different vehicles. There's just so much you could do, it's almost unfathomable. I'm not even talking about how good the stories and characters OR multiplayer possibilities could be, either.

Do those concepts make you excited about the possibilities in Star Fox? If they do, good. They should.

Star Fox, as a franchise, needs to evolve if it hopes to become something truly legendary. Right now, it's just... a franchise.

Unfortunately, it's going to have a hard time becoming legendary if it becomes riddled with hardware technology and controls that try too hard to be different (I'm looking at you, Miyamoto). Mark my words.

. . .

So, were you expecting those reasons? They're not personal reasons, believe me.

See, I support Krystal for Smash Brothers for reasons that extend beyond Smash. There are many possible implications that could take place if she were to get in as a unique newcomer.

In the end, I can't wrap my head around how ironic the position I sit in is, currently. I've said before that the two franchises I wanted to see new content from the most were Star Fox and Donkey Kong. And just look at what we have in Smash 4... I don't know how to feel about it, to be honest.

Anyways, the reason why I brought up Krystal was because I see one similarity between K. Rool and her. In order to be done properly in Smash, they would both require Nintendo delve into more intricate parts of Donkey Kong and Star Fox history respectively (i.e. to flesh out their movesets). Nintendo would need to work to make them who they should be. Honestly, I enjoy the thought of Nintendo having to look into these parts of their franchises' histories. I think Nintendo would be better off if they started to consider all aspects of their franchises instead of merely representing the franchises' origins or their most recent iterations. They're missing certain chunks in the middle of these franchises' histories. It's not proper representation, in my opinion.

Ah, apologies for dithering so much. It's just another thing I wanted to get off my chest--sort of like a Smash Confession, if you will.

Huh. We'll see what the future brings us.

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
Thanks for always making this thread amazing BKupa (best title ever). Can't believe Smash Wii U launches in a few short hours. I pray Sakurai isn't ******** and actually makes more DLC characters and stages to extend the game's life and the first DLC newcomer better be K. Rool! (Or Isaac with K. Rool coming later of course).

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Nice thread title BKupa :chuckle:
And Toad.

Poor guy is more iconic than all of them combined and he never gets any respect.
He's the most iconic character in the Mario series that is not playable and yet he is stuck as Peach's neutral special for the third time. Such a shame. I would like to see Toad playable in Smash someday.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I would love King K to be in the game, but to call him a "shoo-in" is rather incorrect. Likely, sure. A shoo-in? Lol no.
Whose calling him a shoe-in?

Oh, you mean the title? Its a JOKE. J-O-K-E, JOKE. Seriously. If you actually read the thread, no one really thinks he's a shoe-in at all.

Top Bottom