• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
DK Island Swing remixes in SSB4:
--Congo Jungle 64
--Jungle Level (Brawl)
--Jungle Level Jazz Version
--Jungle Hijinxs
--Swinger Flinger (remix of second half of song)

Unconfirmed, possible remixes:
--Jungle Japes
--Jungle Level, Vers. 2 (Brawl)
--Donkey Kong Country Returns - Vocals

That's just pathetic.
Yeah, this is probably the last Smash Brothers I'll ever look into.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
...Everyone now hates everything about this new Smash Bros. I guess I'll probably be the only person who'll ever enjoy the game... And I'll probably borrow @ Kaptain K. Roolenstein Kaptain K. Roolenstein 's signature for this and for now, but
(Don't worry, I'll be back later on, but I'll be a bit busy today.)

Last edited:

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
...Everyone now hates everything about this new Smash Bros. I guess I'll probably be the only person who'll ever enjoy the game...
That's not true. Some people complain for right reasons (like this music selection) and others complain that their most requested character didn't make the cut. I for one will enjoy the absolute living hell out of Smash Wii U and so should everyone else (never touching 3DS version again in 2 weeks lol).

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
It's not a great choice of songs, I grant you, but that's hardly enough to toss in the towel and call it a day just yet. Who knows what's waiting just 'round the corner?

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
...Everyone now hates everything about this new Smash Bros. I guess I'll probably be the only person who'll ever enjoy the game...
Don't mistake disappointment in this one aspect for complete hate for the game, please. I'm going to love the game in general, it's just that this particular bit is...well, disappointing.
This new pic of mine is really coming in handy right about now.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Saw this tip on one of the new videos: "Bowser's a real tough guy. When he's only lightly damaged, weaker attacks won't make him flinch."

I wonder who else could make use of such a mechanic. . .

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Don't mistake disappointment in this one aspect for complete hate for the game, please. I'm going to love the game in general, it's just that this particular bit is...well, disappointing.
This new pic of mine is really coming in handy right about now.
You're right. The DK series has lots of great songs, and I think some favourites include Crocodile Cacophony and Pompy the Presumptuous. Really great boss themes, but I do think that it's important the series' music receives a fair share of representation too. Also, (for my Roy Bias) no Winning Road? :( Where's the love for my boy, where's his victory theme?

Saw this tip on one of the new videos: "Bowser's a real tough guy. When he's only lightly damaged, weaker attacks won't make him flinch."

I wonder who else could make use of such a mechanic. . .
I was thinking about Super Armour for King K. Rool as well. It'd make sense given all that fat he has around his belly. Also, I've noticed something about each of his appearances being slightly different, more than just that tail that sometimes goes missing. If you look at Baron K. Roolenstein's right eye, it's bloodshot, but King K's bloodshot eye is his left eye. Comparison:
I've also noticed that sometimes his belly's gold like armour or it's generic skin, too, as seen in his 3DS trophy. (I think we should also assume that he'll get a trophy in the Wii U version too)

Last edited:

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
I've also noticed that sometimes his belly's gold like armour or it's generic skin, too, as seen in his 3DS trophy. (I think we should also assume that he'll get a trophy in the Wii U version too)
If my limited knowledge is correct, that golden belly of his actually is armour, and his cape is attached to it. The original Kremling designs depict them wearing armour of a similar design, sort of visible below:

I've just assumed that with the Paon model (the K. Rool design used after Rare died), he's discarded the armour and chosen to wear just the cape. Who knows WHY, but y'know.

You're right. The DK series has lots of great songs, and I think some favourites include Crocodile Cacophony and Pompy the Presumptuous. Really great boss themes, but I do think that it's important the series' music receives a fair share of representation too. Also, (for my Roy Bias) no Winning Road? :( Where's the love for my boy, where's his victory theme?

I was thinking about Super Armour for King K. Rool as well. It'd make sense given all that fat he has around his belly. Also, I've noticed something about each of his appearances being slightly different, more than just that tail that sometimes goes missing. If you look at Baron K. Roolenstein's right eye, it's bloodshot, but King K's bloodshot eye is his left eye. Comparison:
his hands also got considerably bigger in dkc 2 and 3 compared to dkc 1,sometimes hes missing his jewel,which i assume is like a pin that holds the cape,in dkc 1 it was a green jewel,his paon design made it blue.

example with the "hand" thing

Last edited:

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
I guess unlike most people, I'm extremely grateful for what we are getting. I was jumping for joy when I saw that Mangrove Cove is going to be a song in the game.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
everybody needs to remember that there are 114 songs we don't know about, at least one of them should be dk related
*113 (probably less). Jergingha's theme was heard on Mario Galaxy but didn't appear in the default music screens.

I'm just glad Engage the Enemy (original version) and the Dark Bowser battle theme are in the game but yeah DK got shafted. I don't think we need 3 Ridley themes or 3 Mute City themes. Kraid's lair, Rundas and Mother Brain need some love music David
wise.

Rattle-Kalimba

Smash Apprentice
Wow..... just wow..... Sakurai really hates the DKC. Look at it:

- no Newcomer
- only one freaking stage and this time around we have two SSB for two systems
- The same song used 8 times
- no AT
- no new Items
- no Bosses
- only two Smash Run Enemies

Jeez, the DK-Franchise is portrait in SSB like a minor series.... Maybe it really had something to do wit Rareware back than. They created all the songs, they created all the characters, the now how to make KKR a great villain.... If you ask me, it seems like Sakurai really has a vendetta against this series.

I would be surprised if we get another KI-Character like Hades or Medusa as an character or another FE-Character. Even Waddle Dee has more chances to get in, than anything DKC-Related.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
his hands also got considerably bigger in dkc 2 and 3 compared to dkc 1,sometimes hes missing his jewel,which i assume is like a pin that holds the cape,in dkc 1 it was a green jewel,his paon design made it blue.

example with the "hand" thing

It's probably just to make it more conducive to holding the blunderbuss. You can really tell that they're now important parts of his anatomy rather than just being there because, well, he's gotta be able to throw the krown somehow, y'know?

CJ Falcon

Smash Lord
Wow..... just wow..... Sakurai really hates the DKC. Look at it:

- no Newcomer
- only one freaking stage and this time around we have two SSB for two systems
- The same song used 8 times
- no AT
- no new Items
- no Bosses
- only two Smash Run Enemies

Jeez, the DK-Franchise is portrait in SSB like a minor series.... Maybe it really had something to do wit Rareware back than. They created all the songs, they created all the characters, the now how to make KKR a great villain.... If you ask me, it seems like Sakurai really has a vendetta against this series.

I would be surprised if we get another KI-Character like Hades or Medusa as an character or another FE-Character. Even Waddle Dee has more chances to get in, than anything DKC-Related.
If you ask me, I think you're wrong.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Are you serious? Just because of the music selection? Wow, please tell me your joking!
Yeah, I'm being slightly facetious.

However, the unfortunate reality is that Nintendo of Japan will probably never incorporate inspired ideas from a European-based company within their games. It goes against their culture and ideas of honor.

Donkey Kong hasn't always been about the jungle. It has an unfathomable array of stages and music to choose from, and that's just looking at the DKC games alone.

However, as @ BKupa666 BKupa666 points out, whenever Japan handles Donkey Kong, it will most likely be restricted to a jungle setting. They have little passion about a character who is an animal that's "silly" and "dumb" in Japanese culture. The music and stages over the history of Smash makes it out to be that way. I crave diversity, because this isn't inspired.

Retro is a different story, though.

It's tough that Smash is really only made in Japan.

Last edited:

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562
Well since sakurai has revealed his true colors, I say that we find a way to be bias in return- Game sales revenue-wise from what they send to us including any Mario game or other games (except a Dk game or smash game in the future cuz we need to make DK sales rise to what they can). We need to send a message to Sakurai through DK sales, becuz he needs to realize it's about the consumers and their wants and not about what the Japanese want.

Though I know it won't work, due to people outside of the smash community that will be buying every Mario game and other Nintendo game made by Japan when it comes overseas. :(

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well, its notable that there's plenty of room for both K. Rool and Dixie in the Smash Wii U roster if they really wanted to add them both. In fact, with the full 3DS roster the top row comes up short. When transferring custom characters from 3DS to Wii U, it shows the full roster you've already unlocked.

Well since sakurai has revealed his true colors, I say that we find a way to be bias in return- Game sales revenue-wise from what they send to us including any Mario game or other games (except a Dk game or smash game in the future cuz we need to make DK sales rise to what they can). We need to send a message to Sakurai through DK sales, becuz he needs to realize it's about the consumers and their wants and not about what the Japanese want.

Though I know it won't work, due to people outside of the smash community that will be buying every Mario game and other Nintendo game made by Japan when it comes overseas. :(
We already did that with Returns. 6 million copies sold, and Tropical Freeze is doing fairly well and should improve over the next year or so.

If kid icarus gets more songs than DK in the Wii U version I'm going to be seriously pissed
Not going to happen. DK has at least 3 stages. Granted, there's about 8 different versions of the exact same theme...

Last edited:

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
It is disappointing the lack of DK content. All we can do is stress to Nintendo we will not stand for this via Club Nintendo surveys and direct e-mails. I am most personally upset at the lack of assist trophies. I believe DK is the biggest Nintendo series not to have one now.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
It is disappointing the lack of DK content. All we can do is stress to Nintendo we will not stand for this via Club Nintendo surveys and direct e-mails. I am most personally upset at the lack of assist trophies. I believe DK is the biggest Nintendo series not to have one now.
Yes, DK definitely is. Here's hoping Chunky Kong really is a thing...

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
Random inspirational/somewhat maybe egotistical paragraph about K. Rool in Smash Bros.

I'm not exactly a competitive Smash player. I'm not bad, but I'd probably get destroyed if I went to any sort of tournament.
But when K. Rool becomes a playable fighter, I'm going to devote myself to becoming one of the best K. Rool mains. I'm gonna have to live up to this name. Even now, just imagining being able to destroy anyone while playing as (in my opinion) the greatest Nintendo villain to date...just, I need this to happen. One way or another...the Kutthroats have to succeed.
I doubt I'm alone, either.

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
Reminder that Kid Icarus actually has more characters than Donkey Kong.
Now see, there's something called bias and Sakurai has uncontrollable bias for Kid Icarus since he is the reason why the franchise is actually relevant today. The main reason why Dark Pit was included is because Sakurai created him.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Now see, there's something called bias and Sakurai has uncontrollable bias for Kid Icarus since he is the reason why the franchise is actually relevant today. The main reason why Dark Pit was included is because Sakurai created him.
To be fair, it also helps that Dark Pit is extremely easy to create from the original data and Sakurai already has all the assets at hand. The only clone from Donkey Kong I could potentially see as a clone is Dixie Kong - and even then, it's would be a huge and absurd stretch and would efinitely alienate a lot of the fans. Dark Pit is pretty much the lesser of several evils, if you consider clonesto be a poor thing at all. It may or may not be Sakurai bias, but it's certainly not borne from actively resenting Donkey Kong.

On the subject of Donkey Kong music versus Kid Icarus music, these are the tracks in the Wii U version for Kid Icarus:

Brawl

Title
Underworld
Overworld (Skyworld)
Kid Icarus Retro Medley

Uprising

Magnus' Theme
Boss Battle 1
Dark Pit's Theme
Hades' Infernal Theme
Thunder Cloud Temple

Remixes

Wrath of the Resset Bomb
Destroyed Skyworld
Lighting Chariot Base

So aside from a few remixes, of which one is already in the 3DS version, the vast majority of these tracks are ports from Brawl and Uprising. I don't think there's any bias present here and I'm being earnest when I say that.

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Y'know, an interesting fact is that Kid Icarus: Uprising was going to originally be a Star Fox game.

I wonder how the content in Smash would have differed had that taken place...

EDIT: Don't reply; don't wanna go off topic too much.

Last edited:

NATGamer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NATGamer
3DS FC
3737-9639-8538
Y'know, an interesting fact is that Kid Icarus: Uprising was going to originally be a Star Fox game.

I wonder how the content in Smash would have differed had that taken place...
It would've been interesting to say the least. But honestly, Kid Icarus desperately needed a revival more than Star Fox. And lucky for us we get the best of both worlds since Star Fox U is on its way! Now if we can only get K. Rool in Smash...:p

Geoffrey Druyts

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1993-7715-4423
Switch FC
SW-6723-8387-1403
By the way, Kongo Jungle 64 looks literally identical to its N64 counterpart. And I am not even kidding. The bushes are still pre-rendered sprites. They didn't even TRY to update it. Even though I still find the N64 aesthetic charming, this just screams of laziness, as if the DK series hasn't been shafted enough already. Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurgh.
None of the N64 stages updated in Melee, so thats a pointless complaint.

Zombie Saurian

Smash Journeyman
Of course not! How can I be pissed that a franchise that just got a revival selling barely over 1 millon units has more stuff in the 3ds and the wii u version than the franchise that gave nintendo international fame and has sold over 45 millon games worldwide?
It really does make me angry knowing this...

I already wanted a new director for Smash 5, but now I certainly want a new director for Smash 5.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Of course not! How can I be pissed that a franchise that just got a revival selling barely over 1 millon units has more stuff in the 3ds and the wii u version than the franchise that gave nintendo international fame and has sold over 45 millon games worldwide?
Actually I'm pretty sure DK has sold over 55 million...

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
... I loved Kid Icarus Uprising, and I can see that the overrepresentation it's getting is ridiculous.

IMainKingKRool

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NYEH_HEH_HEH
I kinda feel like the worst part is that it's not even the series of Kid Icarus that's getting too much representation. It's specifically KI: Uprising. One game has more representation than many of the series featured in Smash. Like, what even...

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Not that it's gonna happen so long as Iwata is at the helm, but I'd love to see what Retro could do with a Smash game.

Imagine the sheer creativity that went into Tropical Freeze's stages, applied to each of Nintendo's series as a whole.

Tell me you wouldn't prefer that to three DK jungles, another Metroid lava stage, another form-changing Pokemon stage. . .

Top Bottom