• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'd say pretty good. I can't really think of anything that's really going against K. Rool at this point. He'd be a shoe-in if it weren't for the fact that we have no idea what Sakurai thinks of playable K. Rool, but we'll find out soon enough.
Well, that's nice to hear. I do hope he ends up in the game-

The Gematsu leak is probably real at this point.
...I was hoping not to read something like this in a partial response to me...

I still don't buy it, for reasons that have driven the Mii thread insane.

Last edited:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
I don't want Miis in for the sole reason of the various inappropriate ones that are everywhere. On the flip side, beating Pit up as Jesus Mii would be hilarious.

Also, the Gematsu Leak may be real, but it only as like 8~ new comers. Considering Brawl had at least 17 by my count, there could be more not mentioned.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
I don't want Miis in for the sole reason of the various inappropriate ones that are everywhere. On the flip side, beating Pit up as Jesus Mii would be hilarious.
I'd imagine that would only be a problem offline. Online, if they're content to regulate customized movelists, guaranteed they'll force us to use the stock Mii avatars. Get ready to play as Miyamoto and Reggie Mii's online!

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
I'd imagine that would only be a problem offline. Online, if they're content to regulate customized movelists, guaranteed they'll force us to use the stock Mii avatars. Get ready to play as Miyamoto and Reggie Mii's online!
My body is Readii.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
...Did I just start a Mii discussion by accident?

That's not the point I was trying to make...

D

Deleted member

Also, the Gematsu Leak may be real, but it only as like 8~ new comers. Considering Brawl had at least 17 by my count, there could be more not mentioned.
Brawl had eighteen newcomers.

If we count both the Gematsu leak (Pac-Man, MIi, Chrom, Shulk, Palutena, Chorus Men) and confirmed characters (Mega Man, Little Mac, Villager, Wii Fit Traner, Rosalina, Greninja), that brings us up to twelve characters. I'm sure there will be more, though, so this leak doesn't rule out K. Rool by any means.

Last edited by a moderator:

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Brawl had eighteen newcomers.

If we count both the Gematsu leak (Pac-Man, MIi, Chrom, Shulk, Palutena, Chorus Men) and confirmed characters (Mega Man, Little Mac, Villager, Wii Fit Traner, Rosalina, Greninja), that brings us up to twelve characters. I'm sure there will be more, though, so this leak doesn't rule out K. Rool by any means.
Ah, I miscounted. Thanks for clearing it up!

D

Deleted member

Could we please stop discussing leaks here, the only character that would help the leak is Choir Boys, which i think are pretty unlikely considering that they are not the main characters of the game
Anyway, who would be bigger: K. Rool or Ridley?

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Could we please stop discussing leaks here, the only character that would help the leak is Choir Boys, which i think are pretty unlikely considering that they are not the main characters of the game
I imagine Ridley will be bigger in overall size, but K. Rool will be heavier (dat girth).

D

Deleted member

Easily Ridley.
Though, size shouldn't be an issue with either of them.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
While I think that the opposite may very possibly be the case, I do think it should be pointed out that the included characters that are capable of being used for promotion are naturally going to be shown off earlier, regardless. "Irrelevant" newcomers such as K. Rool may very well be in the game, but simply haven't been revealed yet because they have no release to promote. Such newcomers, if they exist, will likely end up as the hidden characters that are only revealed once the roster gets leaked.
This is why I'm confident, if we're getting a DK newcomer, it's K. Rool. It'd make sense to save him as an unlockable, like Melee Mewtwo and Ganondorf, whereas a promotional tool like Dixie or Cranky would be paraded around in close proximity to Tropical Freeze, most likely.

Screw Ridley "appearing at any second," K. Rool's the one we really have no idea when to expect.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I will be absolutely baffled if we don't get a new DK character. The series is underrepresented as it is, and it's recent rebirth makes that even harder to ignore.

D

Deleted member

I will be absolutely baffled if we don't get a new DK character. The series is underrepresented as it is, and it's recent rebirth makes that even harder to ignore.
I feel the same way. Not just because of the rebirth and the fact that it is unrepresented like you've mentioned, but there is a great deal of demand for a third character.
King K. Rool and Dixie Kong are amongst the most wanted characters worldwide. I would be extremely surprised if neither of them made it in. Sakurai had to take wind of the love for Donkey Kong...

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
There's also still a DK: Jungle Climber website floating around if they're desperate for -some- link, not that I think they are.
Since DS games are coming to the Wii U's eshop, it would make sense to link that website to promote it's release on the VC. Who knows? Maybe Nintendo will talk about it's DS VC line-up this E3 and we'll get an announcement for K.Rool in Smash along with the release of Jungle Climber (and other DS titles) on the eShop. Then we'll have them link that website on his profile and it would help promote the games digital release. I know the chances of that happening are low, but it's still a possible scenario.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Just realized we recently passed the Fire Emblem thread in reply numbers.

That's nice, I guess.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Dixie Kong was intended for Brawl, so I'm pretty conifdent we'll be getting at LEAST one new DK fighter. 2 IF they Chorus Men thing turns out true because I believe that opens up a way to more fighters.

fill

20EggsEggs
This is why I'm confident, if we're getting a DK newcomer, it's K. Rool. It'd make sense to save him as an unlockable, like Melee Mewtwo and Ganondorf, whereas a promotional tool like Dixie or Cranky would be paraded around in close proximity to Tropical Freeze, most likely.

Screw Ridley "appearing at any second," K. Rool's the one we really have no idea when to expect.
i don't think we are going to see him until the game is out, maybe E3, but since he wouldn't be promoting anything i think he is going to be a secret character. My guess is the newcomers revealed during E3 will have other games coming out

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing

Smash 64: 12 "Newcomers"
Melee: 13 Newcomers
Brawl: 16 Newcomers
Wii U/3DS: AT LEAST 6 Newcomers

Shog

Smash Ace
I don't like K.Rool. Although I watched this when I was a kid:

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I wonder how many of that video's views came from this thread...that video, and "K. Rool's Finest Hour," too.

D

Deleted member

Just wait until someone starts drawing fanart of K. Rool's buttocks; we'll really whip the Fire Emblem thread then.
A big reason for that probably has to do with Chrom being part of the Gematsu leak while K. Rool has not.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
A big reason for that probably has to do with Chrom being part of the Gematsu leak while K. Rool has not.
I think that has more to do with the amount of fan service already in Fire Emblem Awakening than anything.

bellboy64

Smash Journeyman
I wonder how many of that video's views came from this thread...that video, and "K. Rool's Finest Hour," too.
Most of them will be from me tbh. I've been kind of addicted to it ever since I discovered it... And I quite earnestly don't regret it.

I never knew there was such a thing as a good train-wreck up until now...!

It's just that freaking stupid. Conceptually, lyrically, character-wise and... just in general-- and I think the creators of it knew it fine well! It's charming in such a gleefully goofy way. And you can be damn sure I'll post it again should K. Rool get in!
"One of Us" indeed!

Last edited:

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I am 100% certain Sakurai is fully aware of K. Rool's popularity. If he's aware of Little Mac, who is honestly only popular and well known in the West, then there's no doubt he knows about K.Rool, who is popular all across the world.

K. Rool has only one disadvantage, which is also an advantage at the same time: He's a villain. The Smash series has always had very few villains, and King K. Rool is a perfect villain to add to the ever-growing roster. However, King K. Rool is in danger of only appearing as a boss character on a possible new
Dk stage. Sakurai stated boss characters will make appearances in other stages, and the only characters we know that are bosses are Yellow Devil, Dark Emperor, and Other M Ridley. Whether it's likely or not, the possibility of K.Rool being a boss is there, and this is something Dixie Kong doesn't necessarily have to worry about.
Please note, this does not reflect my personal opinion of whether or not he's in the game, just a factor that positively and negatively affects K. Rool's chances.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
If many recurring villains are relegated to boss roles, I'll be furious. It would be a cheap copout imo. Counting Wolf (who's role as a villain is debatable now), Smash Bros. has only four villains. We play as the heroes enough, let the bad guys have a chance to shine.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Yea king k rool, has a higher advantage than dixie kong, due to the kermlings "and the hint from the lights falling from the arena stage." Just like in Dk64

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I don't think K. Rool possibly being a boss is much of a concern. IMO he wouldn't translate well as a Smash-styled boss, not compared to characters like the Yellow Devil, Dark Emperor or Ridley (who could easily be playable, but I'd like to avoid getting into that here. He was a boss in Brawl, so just using him as an example.) I guess it's because K. Rool is generally around Donkey Kong's size, and furthermore, there aren't any particular attacks that I can really see him using and working well as a stage hazard, not in a way similar to most bosses we've seen in the Smash series thus far. I guess it's more of a gut feeling than anything else.

And again, the Kremlings returning is still a huge thing. It's a safe bet to say that K. Rool was at least on Sakurai's mind for a while.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't think K. Rool possibly being a boss is much of a concern. IMO he wouldn't translate well as a Smash-styled boss, not compared to characters like the Yellow Devil, Dark Emperor or Ridley (who could easily be playable, but I'd like to avoid getting into that here. He was a boss in Brawl, so just using him as an example.) I guess it's because K. Rool is generally around Donkey Kong's size, and furthermore, there aren't any particular attacks that I can really see him using and working well as a stage hazard, not in a way similar to most bosses we've seen in the Smash series thus far. I guess it's more of a gut feeling than anything else.

And again, the Kremlings returning is still a huge thing. It's a safe bet to say that K. Rool was at least on Sakurai's mind for a while.
That's something that I've been noticing about King K. Rool, if Sakurai handles bosses like he did in Brawl, there's no way I can see him fitting. The bosses in that game are all massive sized characters with giant, sweeping hitboxes. That's why characters like Rayquaza, Ridley (even though he really shouldn't be a boss, but still...), etc worked better and I can't see K. Rool ever working out like that (he's a character that focuses a lot on projectile attacks). If Smash Run handled bosses differently, then I guess I could see K. Rool as a boss, but not if Sakurai is focused on similar-type bosses. For now, I see playable and an Assist Trophy (as unfortunate as that may be) as more likely possibilities.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
That's something that I've been noticing about King K. Rool, if Sakurai handles bosses like he did in Brawl, there's no way I can see him fitting. The bosses in that game are all massive sized characters with giant, sweeping hitboxes. That's why characters like Rayquaza, Ridley (even though he really shouldn't be a boss, but still...), etc worked better and I can't see K. Rool ever working out like that (he's a character that focuses a lot on projectile attacks). If Smash Run handled bosses differently, then I guess I could see K. Rool as a boss, but not if Sakurai is focused on similar-type bosses. For now, I see playable and an Assist Trophy (as unfortunate as that may be) as more likely possibilities.
Mega Man focuses primarily on projectile attacks. Samus focuses primarily on projectile attacks. That's all Pit used to do in his origin games, and he mostly does that in Uprising, too. All three are characters in Smash Brothers, all three are interesting and fun characters. If they can flesh them out into legitimate fighters, Samus especially, then I can honestly see them having no issue incorporating K. Rool into Smash.

Not especially considering they've done magic with characters that don't even traditionally fight.

D

Deleted member

Mega Man focuses primarily on projectile attacks. Samus focuses primarily on projectile attacks. That's all Pit used to do in his origin games, and he mostly does that in Uprising, too. All three are characters in Smash Brothers, all three are interesting and fun characters. If they can flesh them out into legitimate fighters, Samus especially, then I can honestly see them having no issue incorporating K. Rool into Smash.

Not especially considering they've done magic with characters that don't even traditionally fight.
King K. Rool should be one of the easier characters to implement into the game. I am not a person who does move sets (I haven't made a single one, literally), but even I can come up with four special moves and a Final Smash without too much trouble for him.

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
King K. Rool should be one of the easier characters to implement into the game. I am not a person who does move sets (I haven't made a single one, literally), but even I can come up with four special moves and a Final Smash without too much trouble for him.
Indeed. A lot of people think pretty linearly about K. Rool as a playable fighter. Don't have enough fingers and toes to count how many people think all K. Rool could do in Smash is charge around the battlefield and shoot/drop cannonballs. Fairly sure they could make K. Rool an interesting character. They've got some pretty savvy folks over there in Japan slaving away on the game.

D

Deleted member

Indeed. A lot of people think pretty linearly about K. Rool as a playable fighter. Don't have enough fingers and toes to count how many people think all K. Rool could do in Smash is charge around the battlefield and shoot/drop cannonballs. Fairly sure they could make K. Rool an interesting character. They've got some pretty savvy folks over there in Japan slaving away on the game.
This is the same man that made Wii Fit Trainer of all things interesting and made what most people expected to be a Peach Clone (Rosalina) into one of the best newcomers gameplay-wise. If Sakurai actually makes Chrom an unique & fun character to play with (and hopefully he does, although I'd be lying if I wasn't skeptical), then surely K. Rool would be right up Sakurai's alley (not that Chrom being unique would do any good for K. Rool's chances, but still).

Top Bottom