• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
It's not that I mind Dixie. It's just that Dixie confirmed would give those damned "muh relevancy" ****ers fuel. Even if Dixie deserves it on her own.

Really, Tropical Freeze just came at a bad time. It's like if Minish Cap was the most recent zelda game in the pre brawl days, and everyone started screaming for Vaati instead of GANONDORF, or some Zelda character in that that was still relevant to the major series.

Speaking of Dorf, hasn't K. Rool had alot more appearances than he?
Ganondorf the Gerudo directly appeared in Ocarina, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess. K Rool was in all three of the original DKC games, as well as DK64, along with other DK/Mario spinoffs (DK Land, Jungle Climber, Mario Sluggers, and more).

So the Kremling King does technically appear in more individual games than the Gerudo King.

As for Dixie, so long as her inclusion does not come at K Rool's expense, then bring her on, whether as standalone or teamed with Diddy. :)

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It's not that I mind Dixie. It's just that Dixie confirmed would give those damned "muh relevancy" ****ers fuel. Even if Dixie deserves it on her own.

Really, Tropical Freeze just came at a bad time. It's like if Minish Cap was the most recent zelda game in the pre brawl days, and everyone started screaming for Vaati instead of GANONDORF, or some Zelda character in that that was still relevant to the major series.

Speaking of Dorf, hasn't K. Rool had alot more appearances than he?
I'm not sure about total number of appearances, but Ganondorf is a rather interesting thing to bring up in regards to K. Rool. By that, I mean that they share a similar situation of relevancy. Going back to Melee days, the most recent Legend of Zelda game was Majora's Mask, I believe, which of course did not feature Ganondorf at all. Despite that, Ganondorf was still added into to Melee as the main antagonist of the Zelda series. This is the same sort of issue K. Rool faces. He hasn't appeared in the most recent games (which there have actually been very few of over the years), but he is still THE main antagonist of the Donkey Kong series, and missing a few recent games doesn't really change that. Heck, Ganondorf is getting it much worse than K. Rool is right now. In more recent games, he has been at least referenced, but he hasn't really appeared that much. Technically, Ganondorf's last real appearance was Twilight Princess; granted, he has appeared in the remakes of Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker, but the last time we've really seen Ganondorf in something new was TP. There was also Ganon in Link Between Worlds, although that was kind of underplayed and wasn't GanonDORF. Despite that, most people don't question his inclusion. If that's the case, then King K. Rool is plenty justified as a main character to his series that just hasn't been seen recently, but is still integral to the series as a whole.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
That's all I ever see... Dixie is fine as long as K. Rool is in... Dixie is fine as long as she is not a clone of Diddy (she is not)... why does Dixie's inclusion have to be conditional?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Because I think most people, myself included, just want to see K. Rool again. I would've fought harder for Dixie before she was revealed to be in TF. Now, she at least gets an appearance SOMEWHERE, while K. Rool hasn't gotten much.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
That's all I ever see... Dixie is fine as long as K. Rool is in... Dixie is fine as long as she is not a clone of Diddy (she is not)... why does Dixie's inclusion have to be conditional?
Probably because more people want K. Rool in and think that he's more deserving as a character.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Not to speak on behalf of anyone, but as a supporter of K Rool, I'd want him first and foremost over any DK Newcomer. While Dixie has strong merits on her side (and I bear no enmity toward the character), she invariably represents some degree competition with respect to the Kremling King's inclusion.

So as a K Rool supporter, the ideal scenario would be to include both him and Dixie; but if push comes to shove, and only one DK Newcomer can make it in, my preference would evidently lean toward K Rool.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
So, it all comes down to desperation?
I mean, if you want to look at it that way. I really don't think it's a desperate situation if deep down my reasoning is I vastly prefer K. Rool.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
What do you mean? That K Rool's chances are slim, and that we here are clutching at straws?

It's a combination of personal preference (character appeal, moveset potential, nostalgia, etc.), and arguments in his favour (recurrence, series seniority, central DK antagonist, widespread and popular demand, etc.).

Aren't we all desperate for the inclusion of the characters we wish most to make the cut? ;)

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
You're going to get responses such as that when the majority of the people who will respond to you are K. Rool fans. They (and that includes myself) are going to want either
a) K. Rool on top of Dixie
b) At the very least an interesting and unique DK character if in the case that said character is not K. Rool.

I really don't mean to sound rude to you or to the people you're speaking of, but I don't really know what answer you're expecting from fans of K. Rool. I can understand if you'd want them to be more respectful towards your choice, I completely understand, but they're not going to drop support for K. Rool altogether and say that Dixie in any way shape or form would be fine as well. Unless you ask people who have absolutely no opinion one way or the other.

Ultimately. They're both serious contenders with they're pros and cons. People have different reasons to like/dislike the other. And, unfortunately, as has been said, they compete with each other. (At least as far as we can speculate that seems like it's the case. Who knows, maybe we will get both.)
It all just comes down to your personal bias in the end. Which one you think is more unique, important, nostalgic, cooler, deserving, prettier, and any other "in the eye of the beholder" type of things you can think of. While I think "desperation" is bit of a harsh word, but that doesn't make it not at least somewhat accurate.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Desperation? No, not really. At worst, I'd say impatience, given that K. Rool will eventually be back in the DKC series, just potentially not soon. As in, years down the road once Retro hands off the series to someone else. It'd be kind of nice to cut the crap (i.e. Retro's other one-off villain groups DK would inevitably go through like wet toilet paper and never see again) and get K. Rool back sooner rather than later, which Smash would help accomplish.

Even if that weren't a factor, however, and K. Rool had never left the series, I'd still vastly prefer him over Dixie or anyone else, considering my personal connection to the character (my first exposure to gaming was his DKC fight). I understand that Dixie is a deserving character, and I'd like her to be included eventually, but, no matter how you cut it, personally, I don't see any way she could possibly contribute as much to the game as K. Rool could, especially as far as moveset and personality go. Like, as a general rule, you'll see people gushing about how great K. Rool would be in the game, whereas with Dixie, few people do that, and instead talk up why she wouldn't be a boring character; she wouldn't be, she just wouldn't bring anything as above and beyond as K. Rool would IMO. She's also not the sort of character I'd ever see myself using, whereas I absolutely adore virtually every heavyweight currently in the game.

So yeah, there's no dislike for Dixie on my end, though it is a touch grating when people condense the two down to just "a DK Congressional Roster Rep" and don't care about either of them one way or the other. They're definitely not interchangeable characters, which is why I don't like to compare the two to begin with, but since it's being asked here, might as well.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
That's another thing to me. If I was Sakurai, and was looking at potential reps that would bring a unique flavor and style to the game, I'd personally find it much harder to find that in Dixie, despite how much I might love her, than if I was looking at K. Rool. And if Sakurai hasn't so much as glanced at K. Rool, despite every chance he gets referencing him as DK's main villain, I may as well change my name to Incorrect McBitch.

So there's that.

And it's not to say that Dixie doesn't deserve it. She does! It's just that K. Rool deserves it more. He's the main villain, the unique personality, and the fan favorite from the series. I know Sakurai knows that. I'd better be right, too...

Besides that: The opportunity of having an Event Match where it's Mac versus DK and then K. Rool or vice versa is like, the stuff dreams are made of.

Last edited:

Korporal K. Reep

Smash Apprentice
I was looking at some DK manga scans from DK Vine - even though I couldn't read it, hoped for a glimpse of K. Rool heh. And look! Wouldn't it be cool if in 3 or 4 player matches K. Rool's Krown could ricochet off of opponents like a glaive (in addition to having boomerang functionality of course) like depicted here? It'd be cool if his golden belly slightly reduces damage/knockback if direct attack hits too.

Also a pic of K. Rool that I drew on Miiverse today:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ignoring the size argument, if you compare Ridley and K. Rool, the kremling slots into Smash far easier due to his shape (basically the same shape as Dedede or Bowser) and his arsenal is all easily-implemented too, whilst being creative. I don't get why Ridley gets all the hype when DKC is far more successful than Metroid - maybe the DKC fans simply aren't as dedicated? Metroid fans, ignored by Nintendo for so long, seemed to become ferocious in demanding Ridley in these games, while DKC fans are contented, especially when they're being given the new Retro games and right now Prime is collecting dust. Ridley would be a great rep in my opinion, but you could make K. Rool work with half the effort and it'd be just as fun a moveset.

I don't feel like many people take things like moveset potential or actual substance into account when they think about what newcomers they'd like. More often than not, they will misplace relevance for popularity, like a self-fulfilling prophecy. I would put Dixie in the same category as Toad for that reason. She has no substance to her or good moveset potential, she's only a part of DKC. Unlike "Bowser = K. Rool" arguments, it is actually true that Dixie is almost the exact same shape and would draw from similar inspiration for moves as Diddy, who himself already has to make up 90% of his moves, and the other 10% is insane re-interpretations like his bananas and up special that work totally different to in DKC. Obviously this is true for other veterans, but at this point, I don't think Sakurai should have to add characters just for the sake of it, and so far newcomers as a rule tend to be very easy fits. Even if you make them a tag team, that naturally would get rid of Diddy's bananas if you have the traditional switching mechanic.

That's why I don't want Dixie in this game. I respect if you do like the character, but if she gets into the game it may hurt K. Rool's chances, and I personally don't see how she would bring anything new to the game, making it a total loss. As far as DKC reps go, I'd prefer about half-a-dozen other characters first over Dixie, and of those, I'd only say Cranky and Funky would be acceptable at all to me if K. Rool is not added as well. That's mostly because those two are very fun personalities and would actually bring something new to the table.

Judging by how Sakurai has acted I'd say K. Rool does have a good chance of getting in based on how he easily could be given a moveset that is creative, unique and interesting without much work at all. There is no newcomer revealed or even on the tables who resembles K. Rool let alone with his popularity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vez

Smash Apprentice
That's another thing to me. If I was Sakurai, and was looking at potential reps that would bring a unique flavor and style to the game, I'd personally find it much harder to find that in Dixie, despite how much I might love her, than if I was looking at K. Rool. And if Sakurai hasn't so much as glanced at K. Rool, despite every chance he gets referencing him as DK's main villain, I may as well change my name to Incorrect Mc*****.
Problem is Sakurai is a weirdo. He might find something that interests him about Dixie and then see K. Rool and find him boring. This is the man that made Ganondorf a Captain Falcon clone yet made Rosalina into an incredibly interesting character.

D

Deleted member

Problem is Sakurai is a weirdo. He might find something that interests him about Dixie and then see K. Rool and find him boring. This is the man that made Ganondorf a Captain Falcon clone yet made Rosalina into an incredibly interesting character.
To be fair, he only did that for Ganondorf because he ran out of time, and wanted to make him an original set but opted to make the clones instead. There's a good chance Ganondorf will have a unique set in SSB4. Rosalina does have the Luma and magic to her credit, while Dixie has... hair. There are a few interesting attacks you can get out of hair, but too many and it starts to become weird. It's not like magic, which can be made to do anything.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Problem is Sakurai is a weirdo, He might find something that interests him about Dixie and then see K. Rool and find him boring. This is the man that made Ganondorf a Captain Falcon clone yet made Rosalina into an incredibly interesting character.
Not to mention Sakurai planned to add Dixie in Brawl even though she was not relevant in the main Donkey Kong series in 2008... she had less spin-off appearances compared to Diddy at the time too.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Not to mention Sakurai planned to add Dixie in Brawl even though she was not relevant in the main Donkey Kong series in 2008... she had less spin-off appearances compared to Diddy at the time too.
Although technically, that was supposed to be as part of a tag team with Diddy. It could be argued that he didn't see her as quite her own character, and rather just an extension of another character. Ultimately though, he didn't add her in, and that might say something.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Although technically, that was supposed to be as part of a tag team with Diddy. It could be argued that he didn't see her as quite her own character, and rather just an extension of another character. Ultimately though, he didn't add her in, and that might say something.
Not necessarily... perhaps Sakurai couldn't figure out how to make them work together as a team without glitching or he couldn't finish Dixie on time since he had to work on adding Sonic... so he had to scrap Dixie Kong and make Diddy Kong a standalone character... but two of his special moves tell me he was supposed to have Dixie with him... see his Side+B move? The one where he inexplicably throws himself? It would have made sense if Dixie was the one throwing Diddy... see his Down+B move? The one where he throws bananas? The animation looks like he was waiting for Dixie to tag his hand.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Am I the only Kutthroat that doesn't mind Dixie Kong either?
I would love to have Dixie Kong (SOLO ONLY) as a playable character. However, I strongly prefer K. Rool obviously. I also probably would rather have Cranky.

But alas, none of them really effect the other's chances, sans the amount of limited roster spaces (which has nothing to do with what franchises characters are from).

This whole thing reminds me of pre-Brawl when people said "we either get Falco or we get Wolf". What happened there=???

Coincidentally, people also thought "we either get Toad or we get Bowser Jr.", and nothing happened there.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I think a lot of Dixie's support comes from her "relevance", no offense intended to those who actually like her as a character (I'm one of them). I clearly remember Dixie not being as nearly as popular a candidate before Tropical Freeze was revealed, though to be fair, she had been picking up steam for a while beforehand. After her accompanying return to the series, however, support for her instantly skyrocketed, and for the first time, a small but still noticeable anti-K. Rool movement formed. As Arcadenik mentioned, Dixie was planned for Brawl despite being just as "irrelevant" at the time as K. Rool is now. But one new appearance and she's suddenly more important?

Don't get me wrong. I like Dixie as a character (more than Diddy, that's for sure), but before Tropical Freeze, was she really that notable of a character? She was a sidekick of a sidekick, co-starring in two DKC games but nothing much else besides that. She didn't appear in DK64 while K. Rool did, and the only other somewhat major appearance I can recall after that was in King of Swing, but K. Rool was also in that too, and he actually had plot relevance. Aside from simply being a much more appealing character in my eyes, K. Rool is just overall more important and popular, evidenced by the fact that before Tropical Freeze, Dixie's support base was hardly a blip on the map compared to K. Rool's. I feel that the Average Joe would be more inclined to recognize the recurring main villain of the series than the "girl Diddy Kong".

I do want Dixie Kong to become playable, since she is one of Nintendo's most notable female stars and I do believe she has enough of the popularity to make it, but obviously, she is in competition with K. Rool in some ways, and I think that she's much less of a priority. If her return to the DK series indicates anything, she'll be around long enough to get into the next Smash, whereas K. Rool actually needs a Smash appearance to stay ingrained in the public conscious for the next 7 or so years.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I was looking at some DK manga scans from DK Vine - even though I couldn't read it, hoped for a glimpse of K. Rool heh. And look! Wouldn't it be cool if in 3 or 4 player matches K. Rool's Krown could ricochet off of opponents like a glaive (in addition to having boomerang functionality of course) like depicted here? It'd be cool if his golden belly slightly reduces damage/knockback if direct attack hits too.

Also a pic of K. Rool that I drew on Miiverse today:
Oh hey, DK manga's actually a thing? Looks old as expected, but I love the artwork for K. Rool in that. Wonder if there's a translated version of that stuff somewhere.

And nice job on the Miiverse pic, with the face/eye and all.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
I just realized something. Do you think this affects K. Rool in any way?
So Sakurai doesn't want to use "real guns" in Smash... And one of the most unique things K. Rool has to offer is his blunderbuss. Would it be classified as a "real gun" despite actually being more like a multipurpose cannon? It does resemble one, after all, apart from the funnel at the end.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So Sakurai doesn't want to use "real guns" in Smash... And one of the most unique things K. Rool has to offer is his blunderbuss. Would it be classified as a "real gun" despite actually being more like a multipurpose cannon? It does resemble one, after all, apart from the funnel at the end.
I would think that Star Fox's blasters would have more issues with this than that giant funnel.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
If Blunderbuss was one of K. Rool's only options I could see that being a potential problem, but as it is I see no cause for concern there...

Even though it would make no sense, I would kinda love if K. Rool's intro involved him shooting the hapless captured DK like when you first encounter him in the flying krock in DKC2.

Last edited:

Dropkick JD

Unexpected Smash God
Am I the only one here who actually doesn't want Dixie in?

Yeah, I'll take the heat for it. I just don't see the interesting points of her being included. I think the best option for her would to be tagged with Diddy. That's the only way I'd probably be happy with her being included.

King K Rool just seems like the most interesting choice, period. Hell, at this point, I want King K Rool in more than Ridley, more than Pac-Man, more than most of the other fan requested character. His arrival is long past overdue.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Hey, do you think one of my fellow kutthroats might be able to help me with something here?

I got @Bauske to crop this K. Rool image so that I could change the colors and whatnot to match SSB4's art style (to use in roster icons, signature icons, etc.), but the program that I'm using (paint.net) is too limited for me to get it how I want it. Could someone with better editing skills get the colors in this image to more closely match the general color scheme of SSB4? Simple saturation doesn't quite do it.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

On the off chance it was considered a "real gun" then everyone must be absolutely terrified of Elmer Fudd.

D

Deleted member

I've brought this up before.

The only aspect that would affect K. Rool would be that he just doesn't use the blunderbuss if it's an issue.
Even if it has rather bizarre ammunition, it's still designed like an old-world blunderbuss with just a few comical exaggerations.

Top Bottom