• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Dixie I could see, but Sonic would surprise me since he's third party.

Anywho, about K. Rool, does anyone know where the original artwork/original edit of this roster icon came from?

I want to edit the colors and whatnot to make it a bit of a better icon..
I made this icon, but I just extracted it from the header image in the OP post in this thread. BKupa perhaps knows where it comes from.

EDIT: Didn't see Reila's post. It does seem to be a lot more subdued in colors though.

Last edited:

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
You're a saint. Thanks so much.

(Unfortunately, I don't have the tool necessary to do it myself, but I can get the help of one of my friends.)
I made this icon, but I just extracted it from the header image in the OP post in this thread. BKupa perhaps knows where it comes from.

EDIT: Didn't see Reila's post. It does seem to be a lot more subdued in colors though.
I don't suppose you still have the extracted image, do you? If so, may I have it so I can tweak it a bit? Heck, if you don't have it and would be willing to extract the image from the original, that'd be even better, since I wouldn't have to worry about the image looking over-edited.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well, since it honestly wouldn't have made sense to reveal K. Rool today because people would be hyped for him and then upset he wasn't in TF, I think today was good for our good ol' King.

Not getting the Diddy+Dixie tag team on the best day to reveal it quite possibly shoots it down, and honestly see alot of hope for our Komrade.

The further we get from TF's release with no Dixie, the better things look for him. E3 might be good!

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't suppose you still have the extracted image, do you? If so, may I have it so I can tweak it a bit? Heck, if you don't have it and would be willing to extract the image from the original, that'd be even better, since I wouldn't have to worry about the image looking over-edited.
I don't have the image anymore. Even then the edges of the PNG were very jagged, it only looks half decent because it's scaled down and has the white glow. It's a decently hard picture to seperate from the blue background.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Precisely. I don't think things are looking terribly hot for Dixie or Cranky at the moment. It's Wonder Red not being shown off all over again. That being said, I'd need to see a different newcomer revealed following Diddy to be more sure of what you're getting at.
I wouldn't count Dixie out for the count. I still think she has a reasonably good chance, even if she ends up a semi-clone. As for K. Rool, well... He was always a very likely character.

D

Deleted member

Tell me I wasn't the only one chanting "K. Rool!" when Iwata said that the new Mario Kart 8 characters might not be who we expect. One of the Karts also looked like Gangplank Galleon, which made my heart skip a beat until I realized it was just a Koopa airship.
I was actually hoping for other Nintendo characters to get in the mix, like Kirby, Link, and Pit. I am not sure if I like seeing the Koopalings in MK8 or not.

D

Deleted member

I'm probably way late to the party but it is so odd how the final boss in DKCTF apes K. Rool. (Description of how at the end of this post due to a spoiler tag glitch.)

All in all, the similarities are remarkable and undeniable. It's so in-depth it is obviously a conscious decision by Retro and frankly it's worse than Tiki Tong in DKCR, which is a feat, in terms of originality. It's more of a fitting boss fight for DKC as a series but it's just a rip-off of the old fights. I'd rather they went a whole new direction with the character, the polar bear and seal for example have way better fights.

Anyway, this is relevant to K. Rool's chances because I just wonder if Retro is very, very aware of K. Rool's popularity and made the final boss the way they did as an homage. Tiki Tong even had the eye tic. They seem to have a lot of respect for the character but don't just want to re-use him yet. It's bad he doesn't appear in the game, but if it was for what are sort of artistic reasons, maybe it's not so bad...?

Anywho, the fact they stole K. Rool's tricks for an entirely different character speaks volumes for how deserving and fun K. Rool is as a character and for a potential moveset.

His horn is basically the blunderbuss with ice, in that it shoots penguin enemies above the screen that fall down (like K. Rool's cannonballs) and even fires projectiles along varying trajectories like K. Rool did in DKC2 with different kinds of clouds. He rushes at you where you can jump on him, basically the same as K. Rool only using his horns over K. Rool's crown. He goes into the background forcing the player to throw something at him like K. Rool does in DKC3 and even displays comic relief traits with his tippy-toe antics reminiscent of K. Rool. The only things he did that were not an ape of K. Rool were some ground stomping to make the platforms go up, and slightly changing size.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I played Donkey Kong Land on my stream recently and I plan on streaming the other two Land games if anyone wants to join; that wasn't what I came here to say though.

With this and Mario Baseball lately I came here to say that K. Rool is truly a character we need in smash no matter the arguments for/against!

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I played Donkey Kong Land on my stream recently and I plan on streaming the other two Land games if anyone wants to join; that wasn't what I came here to say though.

With this and Mario Baseball lately I came here to say that K. Rool is truly a character we need in smash no matter the arguments for/against!
He's just one of those characters with so much history and general appeal that it's a crime he wasn't already in. As long as Sakurai feels the same this time around, I think we're golden.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
I don't particularly like K. Rool as a character (i could never put my finger on it, maybe his weird eye?) but honestly, he deserves to be in Smash. He's too important to the DK series. Plus, it's pretty obvious the DK series deserves another rep.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
I think K Rool is the most interesting villain compared to the rest of the Smash Rogues Gallery (Bowser, DDD, Wario, Wolf, etc.) since he's basically the Joker - a totally psychopathic anarchist lunatic.

No other character - and no other antagonist/rival - can be said to have such a gleefully twisted zaniness to them. :grin:

D

Deleted member

K. Rool is a villain like no other in Nintendo's gallery, that's for sure. He has an inherent depth to his character. I think it's a disservice to compare him to The Joker. Joker has more in common with Bowser as of late in being spammed and overused. K. Rool is so long overdue for an appearance and has so much left to offer!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
K. Rool is a villain like no other in Nintendo's gallery, that's for sure. He has an inherent depth to his character. I think it's a disservice to compare him to The Joker. Joker has more in common with Bowser as of late in being spammed and overused. K. Rool is so long overdue for an appearance and has so much left to offer!
Bowser is a bit more serious in temperament than K Rool. Bowser strikes me as the gruff schoolground bully, whereas K Rool is the weird kid who clandestinely dissects live woodland critters and is excited by fire. That sort of manic bent is more reminiscent of the Joker than any other Batman Rogues, I find.

Dedede is a narcissist with a lot of charisma, who sees all other people as means to his self-aggrandizing ends. Wario is a ruthless miser, while Wolf is harder to pin down, since he's more of an amoral anti-hero.

And Ridley's the Antichrist. XD

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Isn't Donkey Kong Country's 20th anniversary coming up soon? While many can wish, I think that date might be reserved for Diddy. I mean, as much as I like King K Rool, the poor guy won't bring a whole lot to Smash in the end.

D

Deleted member

Isn't Donkey Kong Country's 20th anniversary coming up soon? While many can wish, I think that date might be reserved for Diddy. I mean, as much as I like King K Rool, the poor guy won't bring a whole lot to Smash in the end.
Hm, I don't agree at all. K. Rool brings quite a lot to Smash Bros as simply a unique character type. He's far more unique than say, Diddy.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
The only good thing King K Rool could bring to Smash is throwing his crown, butt smashes and shoulder charges. We've already got Peach, Bowser, Yoshi and Captain Falcon for all that. Plus Diddy is a generally more popular character. More kids are going to care about Diddy Kong than King K Rool.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
It sounds as though you're only taking K. Rool's king transformation into consideration there. Check out the OP to see the sorts of unique attack ideas K. Rool could take from his Kaptain and Baron costumes as well.

D

Deleted member

Yeah K. Rool has quite a lot to him outside just the King K. Rool attacks. All it takes is him equipping the blunderbuss, and he has about five more attacks he can perform. If you even began to include the Roolenstein stuff, there are infinite possibilities.

Diddy Kong is fun to play as but ultimately his moves are pretty much made up or wildly interpreted from the canon. K. Rool comes with all the bells and whistles attached without any need to re-interpret what he does. It's already all very good for a moveset, and he has enough to fill every input easy.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
K. Rool is probably one of the characters that can bring the most to Smash. Technically he could be everything from a slow heavy-hitter that takes up Bowser's old role, to a semi-ranged heavy-weight with tons of projectiles, or heck, he could even be a stance change character. K. Rool is a rather whacky guy too, so he could have some pretty weird attributes for a heavy weight too.

DKC's anniversary is in November, so I'm not sure what you're getting at with that. Even then K. Rool would be saved for a Direct, and not a simple anniversary, unless it happened to fall on the anniversary. I'm still betting on Diddy by the end of February, in which case all ways will be cleared for K. Rool to pass through.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I do wonder, if and when K. Rool is revealed on the dojo, what will he be advertising? So far every newcomer has advertised something or other. He can't advertise Tropical Freeze or Sluggers realistically, it could end up being a digital release of DKC1-3.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
How can things not be looking too hot for Dixie and Cranky? By comparison to who?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I do wonder, if and when K. Rool is revealed on the dojo, what will he be advertising? So far every newcomer has advertised something or other. He can't advertise Tropical Freeze or Sluggers realistically, it could end up being a digital release of DKC1-3.
If you look at the profiles of Mega Man, WFT or Villager, you'll see that this is actually not the case. None of their profiles link to any websites, so that wouldn't be a hindrance to K. Rool either.

This Direct would have been a perfect opportunity to advertise Dixie or Cranky as newcomers; Diddy could have been revealed earlier in the week if one of the two had been in the cards as a reveal, so his absence shouldn't be an excuse in that regard. They still have alright chances, of course, but at the same time, I don't think them being passed over in this Direct is something to be overlooked, either.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Y'know, I've been thinking about it.

If the Ice Climbers, Takamaru, ROB, G&W showed up, they'd likely have nothing to advertise for as well. It's not like Sakurai picks these characters to advertise things. It's merely a convenience for Nintendo if he has them ready by X date.

In addition, I've been thinking: Once again, it wouldn't have even made sense to reveal K. Rool yesterday, considering he himself would be anti-hype for TF (it's not like they could have said "Want to know more about K. Rool? Check out the website/go play Tropical Freeze!"

Therefore, it makes alot of sense for him to be revealed at E3 or something. You'll have a ton of gamers there, who know exactly who he is, and would be awestruck to see him. And besides that, all the hype for Tropical Freeze would've died down by then. (Hell, we might even get another DKC game announcement.) Perfect opportunity to drop the King bomb.

If we don't hear anything before release, he's also a good candidate for a secret character. Then again, so is Dixie, so if we don't get a new DKC character by then, expect the two of them to be fighting over it.

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
The only good thing King K Rool could bring to Smash is throwing his crown, butt smashes and shoulder charges. We've already got Peach, Bowser, Yoshi and Captain Falcon for all that. Plus Diddy is a generally more popular character. More kids are going to care about Diddy Kong than King K Rool.
and he has a giant gun that shoots out cannon balls. Dont forget about his electric propeller jetpack, or generate shock waves. Or his gun can shoot out stuff that freezes you in place.

Im guessing you have never heard of donkey kong country 2, 3 and 64...

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
In addition, I've been thinking: Once again, it wouldn't have even made sense to reveal K. Rool yesterday, considering he himself would be anti-hype for TF (it's not like they could have said "Want to know more about K. Rool? Check out the website/go play Tropical Freeze!"
Not to give the typical 'muh relevance' fare any credence, but it wouldn't have made sense to show K. Rool off within a few days of Tropical Freeze's release even if he were in the game.

"You know that ultra top-secret shadowy guy we've been hiding for months? Look at him, everyone who hasn't played Tropical Freeze! That's your final boss! Oh, and in case you hadn't heard, Snape kills Dumbledore."

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Not to give the typical 'muh relevance' fare any credence, but it wouldn't have made sense to show K. Rool off within a few days of Tropical Freeze's release even if he were in the game.

"You know that ultra top-secret shadowy guy we've been hiding for months? Look at him, everyone who hasn't played Tropical Freeze! That's your final boss! Oh, and in case you hadn't heard, Snape kills Dumbledore."
Well, I suppose it's better to have no word of the DK series on the release date rather than have Dixie revealed, at least for K. Rool's chances.

And Snape... wait, WHAT!?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I will say that we shouldn't exactly use Doneky Kong Country: Tropical Freeze as a deterioration. In fact it's sort of a blessing in disguise, considering we didn't get anything relating to that, so there isn't going to be any sort of conflicts spawned from it.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, I suppose it's better to have no word of the DK series on the release date rather than have Dixie revealed, at least for K. Rool's chances.
That sounds selfish... I interpreted that as saying it is better to have no DK newcomers than to have Dixie as a DK newcomer instead of K. Rool...

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
That sounds selfish... I interpreted that as saying it is better to have no DK newcomers than to have Dixie as a DK newcomer instead of K. Rool...
No, I really didn't mean to phrase it like that. The "at least for K. Rool's chances" at the end is important. I do think a DK newcomer is better than none, but for those who support K. Rool (which is what this thread is for), a lack of Dixie Kong means a better chance for K. Rool.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
No, I really didn't mean to phrase it like that. The "at least for K. Rool's chances" at the end is important. I do think a DK newcomer is better than none, but for those who support K. Rool (which is what this thread is for), a lack of Dixie Kong means a better chance for K. Rool.
Brawl lacked Dixie... but it also lacked K. Rool... therefore Dixie deconfirmed =/= K. Rool confirmed and vice versa.

Groose

Smash Champion
Am I the only Kutthroat that doesn't mind Dixie Kong either?
If she didn't have the onus of severely hurting K. Rool's chances if she were selected, she'd be one of my most wanted characters. While the two could potentially coexist, it's likelier that we'll get one or the other, so I'd just take K. Rool and call it a day.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Brawl lacked Dixie... but it also lacked K. Rool... therefore Dixie deconfirmed =/= K. Rool confirmed and vice versa.
But at the same time, Brawl was the first game to actually add a new DK character at all in Diddy Kong. They probably could have added a third, but considering that the only series that got more than one character in that game were the Kirby series and the Pokemon series (the latter of which lost two characters as well, so I guess that evens out), it seems reasonable enough that they only added one at the time. Now with the fourth installment coming up, they have a pretty good opportunity to add a third character to one their biggest franchises that is still going strong. Most people regard the DK series as one of the most likely series to get a new character this time around, so the big question is, who? The two most likely candidates seem to be Dixie Kong and K. Rool, with Cranky Kong being a dark horse candidate. So in this case, if evidence suggests that Dixie will not be appearing, that helps the chances of her biggest competitor, and vice versa.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
How can things not be looking too hot for Dixie and Cranky? By comparison to who?
Yesterday was the PERFECT day to reveal them.
Not seeing them on that day makes me questionable if we'll see them at all. Many will disagree with me though.
Am I the only Kutthroat that doesn't mind Dixie Kong either?
No, I like Dixie, but getting Dixie over K. Rool would feel kind of disappointing.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'm still not counting Dixie, Cranky, and yes, K. Rool out from an April Nintendo Direct reveal (I think Palutena is the favorite for such a reveal).

As for E3, my general thoughts these characters will be shown:
-Snake
-Mewtwo
-All of the Original 12 not already revealed (probably the current 4 minus Yoshi)
-Miis
-Pac-Man
-Several other veterans (probably at least 6 total)
-1 other newcomer

I think there's a solid chance K. Rool could be that other newcomer.

Still, even if he's not revealed then, I think K. Rool and Ridley would be perfect late sumer or Q4 reveal characters, especially considering that they are fan favorites.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You know... some of you guys are saying that a Diddy & Dixie team not confirmed yesterday boded well for King K. Rool since they don't have to tie a character to Tropical Freeze and King K. Rool could be it... but it also could mean a Dixie & Kiddy team since it is also not tied to Tropical Freeze.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It's not that I mind Dixie. It's just that Dixie confirmed would give those damned "muh relevancy" ****ers fuel. Even if Dixie deserves it on her own.

Really, Tropical Freeze just came at a bad time. It's like if Minish Cap was the most recent zelda game in the pre brawl days, and everyone started screaming for Vaati instead of GANONDORF, or some Zelda character in that that was still relevant to the major series.

Speaking of Dorf, hasn't K. Rool had alot more appearances than he?

Top Bottom