• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I'm sure I'm not alone here when I say that my favorite additions to Smash are ones that I've been wanting for, for significant periods of time.

I think that's why I'm party unsatisfied with the crop of characters (not in terms of playstyle, in terms of who they actually are) they added as newcomers to this Smash game. Because of the shift in focus towards characters who debuted since Brawl, it really limited my enjoyment of the newcomer selection in many ways.

I greatly enjoy the Duck Hunt Duo, and it's partly because they're such a long time coming. I could have easily envisioned them on the original Smash Bros on N64, and they certanly felt like they should have been in by Brawl.

As much as I love Splatoon, I haven't wanted for the Inklings to be in Smash for years. I haven't had time to get that feeling for them. Whereas with Dixie and K. Rool, I've been ready for them since Melee. I'd be excited to use the Inklings should they get in now, and I think they're very likely. If they aren't DLC then they're as close to a guarantee as possible for the next game.

I'd probably enjoy their inclusion more if they come in the next game. Because I'll be hungry for them. But for now, I'm hungry for something else. Namely some form of delicious Croc and succulent Ape.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
You should consider looking at the perctange of 5 votes, 4 votes, 3 votes, 2 votes and 1 votes for both of them. If you do that it would be far more accurate as if more people had voted for Inklings (or whatever character) then that's how likely they might have voted for each choice.
I'm more concerned with how the average represents the data. We have hundreds of more people voting in both categories 1-3 for K Rool than Inkling, which messed up his average.

This is especially telling for the 3's. I think most people think of 3 as "I would be glad if he entered but he's not someone I'm ridiculously hype". A lot of the general audience fit this boat and since more of that "general" audience are voting for him (Group 1 is voted on more because human nature makes a lot of people ignore the other polls) , he's going to get more threes than Inkling.

I sincerely do not believe Inkling would get the same average or even percentage for each category if they were put into the same group as K Rool and had the same amount of votes.

Using a ratio to project data for the lower number of votes doesn't make sense if there tends to be a trend of an increased amount of votes for a character increasing the amount of neutral or negative votes a character has.

Especially for a community that has a general community that either is on a massive hate train or has a really mixed group of fanbases (e.g. if a voter is not a DK fan he/she will probably give K Rool a 3 and Dixie a 3 or 2).

It's not like all of us have rational reasons for liking or not liking a character. Look how many 1s a lot of seemingly "popular" characters get lol.

Edit: eh maybe a percentage of 4-5's divided by 3-5's and maybe 3-5's divided by 1-5's. Still trying to figure out how to make this system work.

Last edited:

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I'd rather wait for Smash 5 to get proper ICs.

So.. I found an old Donald Duck pocket book today... and the cover picture has a crocodile pirate that is nearly identical to Kaptain K. Rool. :drwtf:
You know, it always makes me wonder sometimes if K. Rool was secretly based off the Croc from Peter Pan, with the ticking eye and him being a pirate, it's almost like K. Rool was that croc who was chasing that other pirate we all know and got inspiration from him to take on the kongs lol.

As far as new K. rool personas go, I'm all for a cowboy sheriff type of persona as well. Maybe an evil Klown one too.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
On the Topic of a new alias for the next DKC game, I imagine Retro is just going with regular King K.

They need to introduce the Karackter to a whole new audience before they can start messing with aliases, after all.

It'd be cool to pull off something like in DK64, where he starts as King but dons another outfit for the final fight.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
On the Topic of a new alias for the next DKC game, I imagine Retro is just going with regular King K.

They need to introduce the Karackter to a whole new audience before they can start messing with aliases, after all.

It'd be cool to pull off something like in DK64, where he starts as King but dons another outfit for the final fight.
Or he returns as a pirate and you fight him in that form in one of the early worlds before fighting him in his King form in a more tougher final battle. I'm thinking have a cut scene where DK walks into his throne room and sees the pirate coat and hat of his hanging next to him at the entrance he came in then looks back ahead to see K. Rool up the stairs looking into a mirror next to his throne with his trademark red cape on as he puts on and fixes his crown before turning around at him and starting it off one more time.

CelerinaTheJackrabbit

Smash Cadet
Personally I see it as maybe K.Rool could go through multiple Alias throughout a game.

Sort've like Starts as a king, but after a rematch, the next world he jumps to a pirate. After the fourth world, to mad-scientist, and then finally ending on a hodgepodge of all of them in the last world. Sort've the perfect call-back for the fans, while reintroducing the persona-crazed king to everyone in full force.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
Personally I see it as maybe K.Rool could go through multiple Alias throughout a game.

Sort've like Starts as a king, but after a rematch, the next world he jumps to a pirate. After the fourth world, to mad-scientist, and then finally ending on a hodgepodge of all of them in the last world. Sort've the perfect call-back for the fans, while reintroducing the persona-crazed king to everyone in full force.
So basically all his same battles from the first 3 DKC games but in HD quality and then fighting him last as if he were basically a Smash fighter?

CelerinaTheJackrabbit

Smash Cadet
So basically all his same battles from the first 3 DKC games but in HD quality and then fighting him last as if he were basically a Smash fighter?
I guess you could say that! A sort've 'welcome' back to K.Rool, while also saving Retro some time to think up their own interesting personas. Heck, they could even add a Tiki Rool and Viking Rool as well, just to nod to the other villians as well.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
These are my impressions. Who am I neglecting/why should I feel otherwise?
I'd move Chibi Robo to D tbh. Bandana Dee should be in B, add Krystal to C. Also agreed on putting Banjo in F.

The new Chibi-Robo game is being made to just keep the franchise alive. Its not being promoted very well at all. If they really intended to make him playable they likely wouldn't have made a standalone Amiibo for him. I definitely don't think he's coming to Smash and they ever had Smash on their minds.

Bandana Dee is surprisingly popular. He should be in B.

Krystal is pretty popular as well, but not as much as the Dee. Her questionable Star Fox future puts her lower, but C is still a good fit for her.

Banjo is owned by MS. The odds are extremely slim of ever seeing him.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Here's how I see things right now.
S: Wolf
A: K. Rool
B: Bandana Dee, Isaac, Inklings
C: Dixie, Paper Mario
D: Captain Toad, Chibi-Robo, Snake, Krystal.

Snake by merit of being a veteran is the only way I see more 3rd Party characters before Smash 5.

Edit:
What about Roy though? He was added to Melee before his game was even released
Roy's game came out later that year (we don't have any estimate for YL), Roy's a 1st party fighter, and he was only rushed in as a clone by a push of Intelligent Systems when Sakurai was fairly desperate to pad out Melee's roster.

Last edited:
Here's how I see things right now.
A: K. Rool
B: Bandana Dee, Isaac, Inklings
C: Dixie, Paper Mario
D: Chibi-Robo, Snake, Krystal.

Snake by merit of being a veteran is the only way I see more 3rd Party characters before Smash 5.

Edit: Roy's game came out later that year, Roy's a 1st party fighter, and he was only rushed in as a clone by a push of Intelligent Systems when Sakurai was fairly desperate to pad out Melee's roster.
My "likelihood chart" would be almost identical, except that I would add Captain Toad to C or D tier (probably D).

Morbi

Scavenger
These are my impressions. Who am I neglecting/why should I feel otherwise?
I actually agree with this "tier" list. Well, I would more or less replace C tier with D tier because I am fairly confident that we will get a third party character and Dixie/Chibi Robo seem as though they would be after thoughts rather than top contenders. Furthermore, I personally believe that Bandana Dee is far more likely than Chibi Robo. Snake and Ice Climbers are highly requested and whatnot, but I cannot overlook their logistical issues. That being said, I have no problem with E or F tier for them.

So, maybe I do not agree a lot. But I like Banjo's placement. Everyone and their mother believes that he should be down in Ice Climbers tier which I find laughable.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
This "leak" sounds like a whole bunch of nothing. Some guy says that Nintendo will do something at some point and everyone thinks K Rool is confirmed. Wat.

If anything at all comes from this, I anticipate an announcement like a new Pokemon game or a release date for Zelda. This has nothing to do with Smash and does not mean Isaac or K Rool is confirmed.

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
The man behind the Sonic The Hedgehog cartoon show Eggman (reponsible for what became Pingas) behind K. Rool? I can dig it.
Wrong Sonic cartoon (Though Jim did voice him in the pilot). He was Robotnik on Sonic SatAM

dammit, I've been ninja'd

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Oh, we're doin' tiers, now? All right.

pretty self explanatory

A: K.Rool, Inklings, Isaac

These are the 3 characters that I see in the leading role of a DLC-newcomer. Inklings just make too much sense, Isaac is heavily requested and K. Rool is just NEEEEEEDED (Duh, I don't spend my time in the K Rool threat if I didn't want him in smash)

B: Shovel Knight, Dixie

Shovel Knight, in my opinion, has a good chance to enter smash. it seems that yach club and nintendo are working very closely together (hence the amiibo) and I feel like SK already has cemented himself as an icon of the indie scene.
Dixie is the Plan B DK rep. I do pray for K.Rool, but Dixie is just a character that makes a lot of sense

C: Chibi Robo, Paper Mario

These characters seem to kind of lack something compared to the more "iconic" headliners of the ballot discussions. Sure, Papaer mario is great, but diversity is king in a game like smash. I am not claiming that paper mario won't bring anything new to the table, but it may rub people the wrong way to have another mario rep join the cast.
Chibi Robo, as charming and as lovable as he is, is also sort of...subpar compared to other nintendo characters...

Not sure where to put shantae, maybe B- tier, whereas I'd outright drop Icies and Snake completely.

Just my opinion, though

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
Oh, we're doin' tiers, now? All right.

pretty self explanatory

A: K.Rool, Inklings, Isaac

These are the 3 characters that I see in the leading role of a DLC-newcomer. Inklings just make too much sense, Isaac is heavily requested and K. Rool is just NEEEEEEDED (Duh, I don't spend my time in the K Rool threat if I didn't want him in smash)

B: Shovel Knight, Dixie

Shovel Knight, in my opinion, has a good chance to enter smash. it seems that yach club and nintendo are working very closely together (hence the amiibo) and I feel like SK already has cemented himself as an icon of the indie scene.
Dixie is the Plan B DK rep. I do pray for K.Rool, but Dixie is just a character that makes a lot of sense

C: Chibi Robo, Paper Mario

These characters seem to kind of lack something compared to the more "iconic" headliners of the ballot discussions. Sure, Papaer mario is great, but diversity is king in a game like smash. I am not claiming that paper mario won't bring anything new to the table, but it may rub people the wrong way to have another mario rep join the cast.
Chibi Robo, as charming and as lovable as he is, is also sort of...subpar compared to other nintendo characters...

Not sure where to put shantae, maybe B- tier, whereas I'd outright drop Icies and Snake completely.

Just my opinion, though
Honestly, Dixie actually makes more sense than K Rool. I think Dixie would have a better chance, but with the trademark, mii, and the photo contest I see K Rool with equal chances but definitely not better.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Only here cause I wanted to reread the whole rumor stuff but then realized Bkupa sperged out and lost his mod, so decided to go through the remaining pages to see how.
Anyone who says banjo doesn't have a chance is silly. He has as much of a chance than K Rool. He'd prolly have more of a chance and along with your character K Rool if the ballot votes weren't wasted on Indie trash.

https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/584023190692737024

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Only here cause I wanted to reread the whole rumor stuff but then realized Bkupa sperged out and lost his mod, so decided to go through the remaining pages to see how.
Anyone who says banjo doesn't have a chance is silly. He has as much of a chance than K Rool. He'd prolly have more of a chance and along with your character K Rool if the ballot votes weren't wasted on Indie trash.

Let's not point fingers at other characters, please. Also, while I'd like say Banjo has the same chance as K.Rool (not to sound rude or anything), he just has too many blockades in front of him (especially since he's owned by Microsoft), and I don't think Nintendo wants to do business with a rival. Either way, let's get back to K. Rool related topics, please.

Last edited:

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman

Everybody knows that Microsoft is OK with Banjo and Kazooie in Smash Bros. The thing is that it's Nintendo that is most likely not OK with funding a project where a part of the income would have to go to a direct competitor in the console market.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
For those wondering, I'm not a mod because of "overall site and board activity." I'm more surprised the demotion didn't happen sooner; when I became a mod, I visited way more threads than I do now. As of late, though, I've channeled almost all of my time on this forum into this one thread, with occasional visits to the character discussion thread. I'm okay with the decision...it was cool to have the position while it lasted, but since I don't plan on being super active post-DLC and there are better, more active candidates waiting in the wings, it was the right one to make. I've been told that I can regain my position if I start contributing more. If K. Rool gets in and I stick around to partake in his sub-forum, that may just happen...we shall see.

Now, in terms of tiers, I put Wolf at the tip-top, K. Rool and Inklings one tier lower, Isaac and maybe Bandana Dee slightly lower than them, Shovel Knight at Wolf level if the leak is legit and at the complete bottom if not, ditto for Snake if his situation is overlooked, and everyone else in sort of a gray zone.

The gray zone characters can get in if they were pre-ballot Sakurai picks or if Sakurai doesn't care about the ballot results, but otherwise, they don't make sense to single out as 'winners.' Our polls have done a good job at identifying runaway favorites, but leave the mid-level characters right behind them in murky territory that we can't really predict well.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
he just has too many blockades in front of him (especially since he's owned by Microsoft), and I don't think Nintendo wants to do business with a rival.
These two points are prolly the most overused but weakest ones.
I don't really visit the millions of social threads on characters outside of moments like this recent rumor or the Rayman thing that happened a few months back, but one of the times I did lurk back here I faintly remember a good post on Banjo's chances in Smash being high and that any excuses like
>rivals
>owned by microsoft
Is a load of bullz. Gimme a second to find it.

http://smashboards.com/threads/banj...uo-project-dream.397443/page-16#post-18943288
There we go

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
These two points are prolly the most overused but weakest ones.
I don't really visit the millions of social threads on characters outside of moments like this or the Rayman thing that happened a few months back, but one of the times I did lurk back here I faintly remember a good post on Banjo's chances in Smash being high and that any excuses like
>rivals
>owned by microsoft
Is a load of bullz. Gimme a second to find it.

http://smashboards.com/threads/banj...uo-project-dream.397443/page-16#post-18943288
There we go
1) Banjo-Kazooie weren't considered for 64, they were considered for Melee. This means that they went through no major stage of planning but was a name tossed around and was stopped then due to the legal issues around Rare. That was when they were at their peak of popularity and relevancy.

2) Even IF Sakurai still would have interest in them, after being lukewarm at best since the N64 Era with fairly low demand prior to the Phil Spencer tweet, there is no evidence at hand that suggests that Nintendo would go through the business deal to make this happen. Sakurai is the director, the team is largely from Bandai-Namco, but Nintendo is the one funding it. Considering our new president is one who takes a hard stance on business, that holds my belief that we're seeing no 3rd Parties from now until Smash 5.

Last edited:

JayJay55

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to see that picture without the overlapping so you can see what an insane amount of horizontal space Ridley is taking up with his wings closed
Well I got these images:

And these above are with his wings opened.

Below however:

I don't see the problem with the horizontal space, the vertical space however seems to be a more prominent issue with Ridley. If you could clarify so I can get a better understanding, that would help considering my little knowledge of game design.

Edit:
I've found these now:

Now I'm really not understanding the real issue, I need enlightenment.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Considering our new president is one who takes a hard stance on business, that holds my belief that we're seeing no 3rd Parties from now until Smash 5.
Where did this part even come from. You the President's son or something? Gimme that juicy info mang since you appear to know everything.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
there is no evidence at hand that suggests that Nintendo would go through the business deal to make this happen.
There have been two Banjo games exclusively on Nintendo systems since the rare buyout. That's not "no evidence". You're also completely understating their popularity. They frequently appear at the top end of the smash ballot polls.

They're very unlikely, but they're not completely implausible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom