• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
We're nearing a very krucial moment for our Kampaign, Kutthroats. I have little to no doubt that we will bring King K. Rool back to where he belongs - in the heart of Nintendo All-Stars.

And that extra slot is something! Should it turn out that they fit my signature of most wanted Newcomers... Then this little clown would be even more happy! Now I go back to study.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Three spots! Wa wa wee wa!

So, this may or may not be a hard cut-off (still going to guess four), but now we have concrete proof that the data can be updated.

Maybe they wrote off K. Rool but changed their tune when they saw all the outcry from the costume, heh.

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
Why do people in the NeoGAF Smash Ballot thread seem to completely ignore K. Rool and view Dixie as the DK shoo-in? Sort of niggling me

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
Maybe they are more of a dixie fan, personally i think dixie will play too much like diddy
That may be true. I personally don't believe any character has to play like any other character, and those characters that (unfortunately) end up this way are a product of either laziness, or extra time to kill near the end of a development cycle. As much as I don't want Dixie over K. Rool, I can think of plenty of ways to set her apart from Diddy, and the same goes for candidates like Chrom. Chrom's "blue haired anime shounen swordsman" appearance aside, I think it's a cop-out to say he'd necessarily have to play similarly to Marth or Roy. If all else fails, make him a Great Lord. Even that subtle distinction opens up enough options to make him totally unique.

And this is coming from someone who, again, doesn't even want Chrom in the game.

There're too many inconsistencies in reasoning in regard to the exclusion of characters.

MandoBardanJusik

Smash Ace
Why do people in the NeoGAF Smash Ballot thread seem to completely ignore K. Rool and view Dixie as the DK shoo-in? Sort of niggling me
Same reason they seem to think that Shovel Knight is the second coming of Bowser: They got overhyped by rumors, and refused to let go of that hype long after those rumors proved false. Least Dixie is a real possibility. Shovel Knight is about as likely as Rocket Knight at this point in time. I'm not dissing his fans, but honestly there are so many reasons why he's a horrible choice for a ballot pick. Now if he gets another solid game or two out, and actually builds a relationship with Nintendo, I'm sure he'd have a chance at Smash 5, but Ballot is really not the place for him, he's not impossible, but he's the farthest from a shoe-in as possible.

People tend to overhype 'big' rumors that they want and refuse to let go.

Heh, with all the great art coming out I'm sad I didn't manage to achieve my project, heck didn't get out of the idea stage sadly. Although the other project I'm working on is coming along great, only got hands left to model(which is proving to be the problem), sorry guys, it's not K.Rool related

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Same reason they seem to think that Shovel Knight is the second coming of Bowser: They got overhyped by rumors, and refused to let go of that hype long after those rumors proved false
This is very true. Remember how after Gematsu, the Chorus Men were suddenly the best choice for a Rhythm Heaven character? Despite the fact that the most common suggestion for one beforehand was Marshal? But the hateboner for K. Rool? I just chalk that up to either not playing DKC, lingering bad feelings from the Rare buyout, Retro making TF instead of Metroid, or that he's more popular than whoever they want.

Last edited:

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I think Rareware definitely should have stuck with the Pirate theme for K. Rool and the Kremlings. It just works.

This is very true. Remember how after Gematsu, the Chorus Men were suddenly the best choice for a Rhythm Heaven character? Despite the fact that the most common suggestion for one beforehand was Marshal?
Might sound strange but I found that Wrestler was the character I saw the most people support before Gematsu, mostly due to his appeal outside of Rhythm Heaven fans. Everyone else was sort of tied beneath him. After Gematsu though all support for him just vanished for some reason.

Last edited:
This is very true. Remember how after Gematsu, the Chorus Men were suddenly the best choice for a Rhythm Heaven character? Despite the fact that the most common suggestion for one beforehand was Marshal? But the hateboner for K. Rool? I just chalk that up to either not playing DKC, lingering bad feelings from the Rare buyout, Retro making TF instead of Metroid, or that he's more popular than whoever they want.
I attribute people's K. Rool aversion to most of them having not played the DK series, or having never made it to the end of the game to see K. Rool.

That was my case, at least. As a kid, I only occasionally rented DKC, and despite its great visual and audio presentation, I found it frustrating to play; and that was that.

I will concede that during the Brawl speculation era, I was firmly against any more DK characters because I didn't want the game to be full of stupid monkeys. I eventually came to enjoy Diddy, and now Dixie is one of my most wanted. It took me a litttle longer to come around to K. Rool because, before I throw support behind a character, I need a firm idea of how they would play, and I used to draw a blank on the big guy. Funny how tastes can change.

Sorry for the polyparagraphic response. I got nostalgic midway through.

Last edited:

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
I kinda of knew we were at LEAST getting 3 characters. I was expecting only 2 but at least 3. This is hype! :D I hope that king k. rool is playable! Now that you think about.. because were now getting only 3 characters, I don't think wolf should come back. I love wolf but I want new blood! Lets just hope k rool has a spot in there guys! FOR THE KING!

btw, based on how much support a character gets, who are the 3 characters you think will make it? Well two actually cause of course our king needs to be in there! For me it should be

1:King K. Rool
2: wolf or Krystal
3: its going to be a third party character. I know it will be

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
Doesn't this also prove though that they can add more character slots whenever they want?
Maybe, but we are not entirely sure as of it. We do now have an idea of how many characters are coming. Maybe they'll add a fourth but for now, it looks like were getting three

I kinda of knew we were at LEAST getting 3 characters. I was expecting only 2 but at least 3. This is hype! :D I hope that king k. rool is playable! Now that you think about.. because were now getting only 3 characters, I don't think wolf should come back. I love wolf but I want new blood! Lets just hope k rool has a spot in there guys! FOR THE KING!

btw, based on how much support a character gets, who are the 3 characters you think will make it? Well two actually cause of course our king needs to be in there! For me it should be

1:King K. Rool
2: wolf or Krystal
3: its going to be a third party character. I know it will be
Like many, I'm very confident in Wolf. In fact, I figure that extra placeholder is because the ballot persuaded them to restore Wolf, since the other two were likely reserved for entirely new characters.

I want to say that K. Rool and Waddle Dee are the most rational choices, but I can also see it going a more avant garde route.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Doesn't this also prove though that they can add more character slots whenever they want?
It does, but since its close to the end of the ballot, it could mean that's all we're getting. They originally planned two, but added one more (the "one more" I'd bet is due to a surprise third-party addition or bringing back Wolf).

At the same time, it could just be because they're planning to release three characters at once to sell more copies of Smash. I can see that happening due to the holiday season coming up.

Like many, I'm very confident in Wolf. In fact, I figure that extra placeholder is because the ballot persuaded them to restore Wolf, since the other two were likely reserved for entirely new characters.

I want to say that K. Rool and Waddle Dee are the most rational choices, but I can also see it going a more avant garde route.
My bets are on K. Rool and Isaac, honestly. I think they'd definitely want to include at least one new franchise character, and Isaac is the easiest, the best pick, extremely original with a unique portrayal for him, and has been getting a ton of attention, easily the second highest requested character outside of Japan.

Plus Sakurai doesn't seem to care for Bandana Dee that much, while him cutting Isaac's AT could be argued as him thinking "well, he's got potential, maybe we might consider him for DLC" or something.

Sakurai even directly referred to "Waddle Dee" as a bad choice for a character (alongside Toad). Bandana Dee has always been known as just Waddle Dee, and isn't really regarded as anything but random Waddle Dees that happen to wear bandanas to differentiate them (the latest Kirby game even has three Bandana Dees acting just like Toad's).

Last edited:

Senselessbreak

Smash Lord
So haven't seen this mentioned yet....but as we know, two additional stages were added as placeholders.......and one of them is called "Tikibuzz."

I'll leave that as it is.

So haven't seen this mentioned yet....but as we know, two additional stages were added as placeholders.......and one of them is called "Tikibuzz."

Specifically, a few of them were labeled tikibuzz. That is, of course, a Smash Run enemy, so its resource being pointed to in stage data is odd. I'm not sure what's going on in those parameters in the angled brackets. Would anyone like to clarify?

I'm guessing if this meant anything, the folks sharing would have pointed it out, though.

Edit: The comments here explain it a little. Apparently it was just a roundabout way to give empty strings as the stage's name.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

All three of the placeholders (three placeholder stages, one omega and one normal each). are called TikiBuzz. Not sure why they are called that.

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
Why are you guys all so hyped that there are 3 new characters. Did you really expect them to do an 8 month ballot and only do 1-2 characters? That would have been setting fans up for disappointment, even if K Rool was one of them.

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Megaton.

This means the "2 Character Limit" is now no longer true. We are getting at least 3 and this proves they can always add more. But JUST before the end of the ballot? Smells fishy.

But hey, I'm glad it's more than 2. K. Rool's chances just shot up dramatically I feel, and they were already pretty good to begin with.

J Joeyd123 yes, actually. There are quite a few on Smashboards thinking we'd only get 2 more characters. A lot of people are used to being routinely disappointed by Sakurai, so there's that. But I'm glad it's AT LEAST 3. This is huge.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
So I just watched Xplain's video about a guy that datamined the dlc and saw that there are 3 characters to be revealed.
I can't freacking wait, I want K.Rool sooo bad.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
3 slots eh? great news, my guesses are:

1. King K. Rool
2. Isaac
3. Either Wolf or some third party character

2 stages looks interesting too, I hope one of them is gangplank galleon or flying krock (but if anything it'll probably be congo jungle from melee as a returning stage). The other will probably be either Isaac's Golden Sun or whoever else makes it in as a new character.

Also, if they ever make a DK area as part of the Nintendo amusement park in Disney or Universal Studios (forget which one) Florida then I think this should be one of the songs played on one of the rides, pirate kremlings!

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Wanted to tell ye something: if K.Rool somehow will not be playable in 4 even as a DLC character (nothing is 100% safe with Sakurai), im preparing contingency plan for ye all.
What exactly it is? Well, a Brawl/PM mod (i've done enough research on him for that) with custom model by Fhanel (same guy who made the model used on BKupa666's profile pic) with few things added or changed to make him more accurate to DKC design (for example, a tail). Model itself is ~70% done at this point and its been requested like 1-2 days ago, so, it should be ready soon. This won't be same as K.Rool in Smash 4, but better than nothing. Posting this here because, well, this is the best place for it and im still supporting K.Rool and stuff. Still confused why K.Rool isn't in the game since release.

Last edited:

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
3 slots?

Obviously they're gonna be Dr Pit, Dark Dark Pit, and Baby Tanooki Pink Gold Palutena :p

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
A bit of a copy paste from what I said over at the Isaac thread - I want those three slots to be Isaac, Inkling and King K. Rool. Also hopeful for Snake too.

Submitted my last ballot vote (with computer), for K. Rool. I know it doesn't most likely matter anymore, but I decided to do it anyway (yesterday I submitted my second-last vote, for Bandana Dee, with my phone).

I've been really enjoying this (minecart) ride, and I'm really glad that I've been a member of the Kutthroats.

3 SLOTS!

WE GOT 3 SLOTS GENTS!
Here hoping for King K. Rool, Bandana Dee and Wolf. I will be really, really disappointed if none of them gets in.

bellboy64

Smash Journeyman
Hey folks, I'm on Twitter now. Named as bellboy_64

Same avatar. I began by tweeting some thank yous to Playtonic and co for their retweets of my work...and a howdy to BKupa666 BKupa666

Hmmm so 3 more stage slots, quashes the no more stages theory after Pirate Ship :p

Looking like at least 3 more characters as well, this is obviously a good thing for us.

I remember asking this before and getting a response, but doesn't 3 more characters even up the spaces on the select screen on the Wii U? So that is properly aligned without having to change the size of the icons?

About an hour and a half to go till the clock ticks past midnight here in Australia.... I'm excited but not expecting an announcement about newcomers straight away(time difference too), more relieved and eagerly awaiting with what is in store. I'm at peace with our efforts and am confident we've done all we can and it's all on Nintendo, Sakurai and his team now to deliver the goods.

Last edited:

PineappleProducer

Smash Rookie
A bit late to the party, but just decided to make an account today. I've been following this thread for a few months now, and am glad to see that I'm not the only one clamoring for some King K. Rool action in Smash. I hope we get to see this great iconic villain ascend to the honor of Smash fighter, and maybe after that, come back into the limelight and become a mainstay in the DK games. It's been great reading everybody's posts, and seeing all the awesome pictures shared as well. Here's to our King's (hopefully) triumphant return!

TropicalBreeze

Smash Apprentice
A bit late to the party, but just decided to make an account today. I've been following this thread for a few months now, and am glad to see that I'm not the only one clamoring for some King K. Rool action in Smash. I hope we get to see this great iconic villain ascend to the honor of Smash fighter, and maybe after that, come back into the limelight and become a mainstay in the DK games. It's been great reading everybody's posts, and seeing all the awesome pictures shared as well. Here's to our King's (hopefully) triumphant return!
Welcome, Kutthroat.

bellboy64

Smash Journeyman
Welcome, man! We're happy to have you.

TropicalBreeze TropicalBreeze has already done the honours.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Welcome to PineappleProducer PineappleProducer !

Hmmm so 3 more stage slots, quashes the no more stages theory after Pirate Ship :p

Looking like at least 3 more characters as well, this is obviously a good thing for us.

I remember asking this before and getting a response, but doesn't 3 more characters even up the spaces on the select screen on the Wii U? So that is properly aligned without having to change the size of the icons?

About an hour and a half to go till the clock ticks past midnight here in Australia.... I'm excited but not expecting an announcement about newcomers straight away(time difference too), more relieved and eagerly awaiting with what is in store. I'm at peace with our efforts and am confident we've done all we can and it's all on Nintendo, Sakurai and his team now to deliver the goods.
No, it takes just two spots to even out the current CSS, which was a big argument people used for "only two characters." This is a big deal, because it means the icons will have to be resized to fit spot number three.

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
Ah, I knew we weren't just getting one character from the ballot, but possibly three?! That's great! Gives K. Rool an even bigger chance of getting in.

Top Bottom