• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The thing with Sakurai is... when he decides to add a character, he knows how to please the fans of the character. Robin, Rosalina, Villager, Mega Man, Pac-Man etc, all have original movesets while making full use of the character potential, and they also were able to please many who were skeptical of those characters and they are beloved newcomers now.

Once Sakurai decides on K. Rool, I think we can feel assured that the end result will please everyone. Our aim is to get it to the point that Nintendo/Sakurai cannot look away from the demand for K. Rool.

After seeing the newcomers we got this time, I think that an innovative moveset can be made for most characters by studying the source material hard enough and a few creative interpretations and liberties. I personally think we should also focus on why he's a compelling candidate - his long history, his enduring popularity, his endearing character traits, etc. - along with his moveset potential.

:231:

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Unless you're a Ganondorf fan :^)
I was talking about Smash 4 newcomers. Ganondorf was a victim of unfortunate circumstances.

In Smash 4, you certainly won't see King K. Rool become King K. Oopa, for example. :p

Last edited:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I was talking about Smash 4 newcomers. Ganondorf was a victim of unfortunate circumstances.

In Smash 4, you certainly won't see King K. Rool become King K. Oopa, for example. :p
What about Wario? He is not a victim of circumstance like Ganon and still hugely divisive amongst his fanbase.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
What about Wario? He is not a victim of circumstance like Ganon and still hugely divisive amongst his fanbase.
Fal's referring to character whose moveset potential was questionable at best. I don't think anybody doubted Wario would fit into Smash, just that he ended up totally different to what most fans reckoned he'd be.

I think K. Rool is comparable to Mega Man: tons of moveset potential, the issue is getting it to work as cohesively. However he may feel about the character, I definitely think Sakurai can make K. Rool work and ensure his moveset feels natural.

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
I do wish that there were more Wario Land representation for the guy, but after reading @PushDustIn's two part epic about Wario's representation in Smash, I feel happier about it now. :laugh: (I find localisation a fascinating thing, and I'd honestly had no idea until I read that article just how much it had affected Wario as a character, thus affecting his appearance in Smash as well.)

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Fal's referring to character whose moveset potential was questionable at best. I don't think anybody doubted Wario would fit into Smash, just that he ended up totally different to what most fans reckoned he'd be.

I think K. Rool is comparable to Mega Man: tons of moveset potential, the issue is getting it to work as cohesively. However he may feel about the character, I definitely think Sakurai can make K. Rool work and ensure his moveset feels natural.
@ FalKoopa FalKoopa said that when Sakurai adds a character he knows how to please fans of the character.

Wario is a counterexample given how many fans hate his implementation. Nothing to do with what moveset potential he might have.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Im starting to wish its Kaptain K. Rool the version we get. Just because I imagine him swinging a giant Kleever (sword boss from DKC2) for his smash attacks. After all, a pirate uses both pistols and sabers in a fight.

The only way I can accept more sword users in this game.

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
@ FalKoopa FalKoopa said that when Sakurai adds a character he knows how to please fans of the character.

Wario is a counterexample given how many fans hate his implementation. Nothing to do with what moveset potential he might have.
Wario and Ganondorf are exceptions, not the general case, really.

Though I'll be honest, I can't say I have much of an idea why Sakurai chose to base him completely on WarioWare. I wonder if WarioWare is far more popular in Japan than Wario Land...

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Reminds me of an apparently Wario Land inspired moveset I saw on Twitter.

I never found the comical aspect of Wario ill-fitting. The lack of Wario Land references was -- is -- the real blemish for me.

I don't think it would happen, but if it does, K. Rool being based just around his King persona would be a huge disservice to the character. It would be gutting his personality.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Wario and Ganondorf are exceptions, not the general case, really.

Though I'll be honest, I can't say I have much of an idea why Sakurai chose to base him completely on WarioWare. I wonder if WarioWare is far more popular in Japan than Wario Land...
I get that they're not the norm, and would be fine with saying that Sakurai generally does a good job of pleasing fans with his characters. But what you said read as a blanket statement to me when there is a realistic probability that K Rool fans will be disappointed.

For me, getting K Rool even is only half the struggle when you could have a special moveset consisting of something like this:

Side B - Blunderbuss Dash (DKC2)
Down B - Krusha Ground Pound
Up B - Leaping Attack

Heck, I'm not even going to bother with a neutral attack because if K Rool gets any two of these moves wasting his special slots I will personally be disappointed.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I get that they're not the norm, and would be fine with saying that Sakurai generally does a good job of pleasing fans with his characters. But what you said read as a blanket statement to me when there is a realistic probability that K Rool fans will be disappointed.
I admittedly did say it as a blanket statement in regards to Smash 4, because we didn't get a Wario/Ganondorf case this time. You could say Lucina, but she was never intended to be unique.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Wario as a comedian 'fits' the role he's had as a character.

King K. Rool's quick, erratic nature would no doubt be noticed by Sakurai.

So there's no need to worry.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I hope K. Rool's ranged nature is also picked up. You see a lot of detractors and non-DK fans claiming "all his fans' moveset ideas are stupid and obscure because the character mostly fights you physically like Bowser." And yet, if you look at most of his boss fights, K. Rool's go-to strategy is "throw/shoot/rain down a projectile (or a few dozen), then upon getting hit, sprint/jump/jet away and try again." Sometimes traps like the spiked cannonballs and electricity enter the equation as well. All of the above would make him way more competitively viable than his heavy peers.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'd be okay with K. Rool, I reckon, irrespective of how moveset worked.

You don't need to be big and flashy to win this kitten's heart~ :4pit:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Reminds me of an apparently Wario Land inspired moveset I saw on Twitter.

I never found the comical aspect of Wario ill-fitting. The lack of Wario Land references was -- is -- the real blemish for me.

I don't think it would happen, but if it does, K. Rool being based just around his King persona would be a huge disservice to the character. It would be gutting his personality.
Faithful portrayals by Sakurai. Seriously though I like that set a whole lot better than the one we have, and I hope King K rool is an amalgamation of all of his appearances because if not I'll be happy with his inclusion but disappointed at how he was implemented. Also I have the urge to choke people who dare call him a Bowser clone, that Etika stuff from yesterday really got me in a bit of a funk. I mean, the ignorance of some people is astounding, "hur hur his games are old" When did age have anything to do with anything? Duck Hunt is a sprite from the 80s yet he is in. I don't get people.

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I'm pretty certain they are aware of the King right now. Hence the costume, and with Miiverse flooded with K. Rool pictures and adds and even winning a Miiverse photo contest. The King K. Osplay mii outfit is stated as such, an outfit to mimic the King of Kremlings, rather than the other costumes who try to pass off as "play as this character in smash! Kind of!" and despite that is front and center in promotional material. I'm not sure where the source is, but didn't the King K. Rool outfit sell more than the other outfits? That should be a good indicator that a playable K. Rool would sell.

They know the King is popular and is getting the votes. He has the moveset potential (i'd argue there's too much instead of not enough to make a moveset cohesive and flow well while also properly representing the King/Kaptain/Baron). He's also backed by Retro and could possibly star in a new game made by them as the main villain.

I'm not sure what more we can do besides sending in personalized letters or such but they're most likely to end up in the garbage pail anyway. I think at this point it's (almost) out of hour hands. They know K. Rool is wanted, it's up to Sakurai and co. to deliver the goods. It's a matter of whether or not they want to do so, which is what I'm worried about.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
In seriousness, I always thought that since the Kremlings are so industrial, perhaps K. Rool wanted to move his industrious empire to the Kong's island, and wanted to convince it's current residents to join a more "civilized" Kremling society (as in a means to control them). So when the Kongs refused, K. Rool opted to steal their food off the island, forcing them to work to pay for it back, or starve trying to take them back by force.

And when that plan went up in smoke, K. Rool opted to take personal revenge on the Kongs, hence Donkey Kong's kidnapping. And later, both Donkey and Diddy. Once the kidnapping thing stopped working, he opted to just blow up their island to kingdom come. Thwarted once more he just disappeared.

So what's this about DLC potentially coming on Monday?
There's a 1 hour server maintenance on Monday. People speculate a software patch might come with it, hence DLC. I think it's jumping the gun, because it could just literally be maintenance on the servers. I'd love to be wrong, though.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
So what's this about DLC potentially coming on Monday?
It's because server maintenance was announced for Smash 3DS/Wii U for that day.

However, do bear in mind that it's since been announced that the Wii U services for Disney Infinity 3.0 are also undergoing maintenance on Monday, and I imagine that a few other games will probably get the same treatment at the same time, as well.

It would be nice if we do get something, but I wouldn't expect it.

Last edited:

Uzume

Orange Heart
When K. Rool noticed Donkey Kong having trouble with lower back pain, he offered him a rope assisted kannon ball massage aboard the flying kroc. :troll:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
And he kindly moved all of those potentially-harmful bananas out of the way because slipping on banana skins is dangerous, too!

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
When K. Rool saw K. Lumsy's huge character model, he had no choice but to lock him up in his own secluded area.
"This game has enough frame rate issues", he mumbled.

He's always thinking about the fans.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Not to mention that heavenly F-Breeze scents he let Diddy and Dixie sample. The King was always the generous sort.

Travix Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TravixMan
And K. Rool moved Diddy, Tiny, Lanky, and Chunky away from each other because they were having a fight. He wanted the tension to die down.

Family does matter, after all!

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
And K. Rool moved Diddy, Tiny, Lanky, and Chunky away from each other because they were having a fight. He wanted the tension to die down.

Family does matter, after all!
Not to mention they were all bothering Donkey Kong on his vacation so K. Rool took it upon himself to give Donkey Kong some space. Sadly a certain meddlesome bird thought to give Donkey Kong misinformation in order to defame the kind King.

And in DK64, in the final boss fight K. Rool just wanted to help prepare :4dk: for his boxing match in Punch Out Wii :troll:
It's unfair that Little Mac get's Doc Louis as his own personal trainer, and the benevolent King sought to correct this injustice by training Donkey Kong himself.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
We interrupt these hilarious pro-K. Rool messages to bring you news that the costume's French advertisement as "retro" alongside the Flying Man has made it to the U.S. banner.

Thanks to @toadster101 (who's currently dealing with what I hope is a temporary ban for a signature dispute) for pointing this out.

Bananija

Count of Trickery
Welcome to the K.Rool's support thread, where we try to justifie K.Rool actions. Not like if it was a bad thing...

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Note that it says "Dress up your Mii as King K. Rool or a Flying Man!" and not "Play as Chrom, Lloyd Irving or Heihachi with these Mii Costumes!"

Welcome to the K.Rool's support thread, where we try to justifie K.Rool actions. Not like if it was a bad thing...
Just doing it how the Kremlings do.

Last edited:

Bananija

Count of Trickery
We interrupt these hilarious pro-K. Rool messages to bring you news that the costume's French advertisement as "retro" alongside the Flying Man has made it to the U.S. banner.

Thanks to @toadster101 (who's currently dealing with what I hope is a temporary ban for a signature dispute) for pointing this out.
Note that it says "Dress up your Mii as King K. Rool or a Flying Man!" and not "Play as Chrom, Lloyd Irving or Heihachi with these Mii Costumes!"

Excellent! These Kongs will finally get what they deserve.

Top Bottom