• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: PM BKupa666 for an Invite to the New K. Rool Thread

How would you feel if Sakurai were to say that he doesn't want the King to use the Kaptain's and Baron's equipment for his A moves for not flowing well enough together to make a good, cohesive move set/feeling awkward, and thought the King without that stuff wouldn't bring enough to the table?
That would be the dumbest reason to leave K. Rool out. Several characters use moves that were used by other characters in their games (for example Ness, Lucas and the Koopalings (although they're costumes))

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
How would you feel if Sakurai were to say that he doesn't want the King to use the Kaptain's and Baron's equipment for his A moves for not flowing well enough together to make a good, cohesive move set/feeling awkward, and thought the King without that stuff wouldn't bring enough to the table?
I've never seen anyone use Kaptain or Baron for A Moves anyway excepting people going full blunderbuss so I don't really see the issue raised in the question. If Sakurai doesn't want to dip into them for his specials then that's different but standard attacks is completely fine without them anyway.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't know if they'll reveal it or not, but it could be interesting...

... Alright, I feel like some tin foil hatting, so lemme type something up because I want to blow this meaningless detail out of proportion.
They are advertising the costumes again because they are going to reveal K. Rool soon. They know that once K. Rool is out, that nobody will buy the costume, so they want to push it for any last sales they could get.
They're also promoting Ryu on both Twitter and Facebook.

I've never seen anyone use Kaptain or Baron for A Moves anyway excepting people going full blunderbuss so I don't really see the issue raised in the question. If Sakurai doesn't want to dip into them for his specials then that's different but standard attacks is completely fine without them anyway.
Zombie Saurian's K. Rool moveset mixes it up quite a bit. Its mostly just regular King stuff, but there's at least one move as part of his A moves from his other movesets.

I could see K. Rool go full blunderbuss but still have a few regular attacks as well, too.

Last edited:

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
Characters taking weapons out of hammer space? Oh my god what a sin :c:4villager::4megaman::4gaw::4duckhunt:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Villager and Mr. G&W pull out stuff for like all of their A moves so that makes zero sense.
I've seen a few suggestions like the Blunderbuss propulsion being his dash attack.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I don't know if they'll reveal it or not, but it could be interesting...

They're also promoting Ryu on both Twitter and Facebook.

Zombie Saurian's K. Rool moveset mixes it up quite a bit. Its mostly just regular King stuff, but there's at least one move as part of his A moves from his other movesets.

I could see K. Rool go full blunderbuss but still have a few regular attacks as well, too.
That's fair. In the same breath creating a standard moveset without using Kaptain or Baron in the standard attacks is incredibly easy though. No way Sakurai can't do something interesting there.

Villager and Mr. G&W pull out stuff for like all of their A moves so that makes zero sense.

I've seen a few suggestions like the Blunderbuss propulsion being his dash attack.
This is true, but I maintain you can very easily make an interesting moveset without touching the blunderbuss outside of the specials. Heck, even if you restrict to DKC1 you can do some neat stuff.

This said I'm not sure why we'd place these artificial restrictions. Every character takes inspiration from multiple games and Diddy in particular from DK64 so it's not as if Sakurai would stick to one game.

K Rool using his weapons looks no more out of place than Kirby using his various power-ups without the hats and Mario without the costume changes.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
Everyone here has probably used up all their votes by now. It's easy to tell us to step up our game but I imagine, like pretty much any system of voting, the final result was probably pretty clear early on. Realistically we're at the point where the ballot will be pretty much dead as far as voting goes.
ballot may be dead right now, but i think the thing we can do right now is just to really spread his name all over the internet. Nintendo has been listening to the fans, so its not only the ballot their looking at. Just make it like a dangerous virus. It spreads and never stops. We just gotta really shoot his name out right now

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Sakurai didn't think Dr. Mario should use fireballs, what if he thought the King shouldn't use equipment that are only used by the Kaptain and Baron?

He thought that before adding him in Melee.
Really? I didn't know that, is that mentioned in some Sourcegaming's article? Anyway, Sakurai is unpredictable with these kind of things, Ness and Lucas using moves from other Mother characters and Koopalings turning into Shadow Mario is okay but Dr. Mario using fireballs and Dark Pit using the Three Sacred Treasures isn't.

Travix Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TravixMan
What if they announce new content tomorrow? Roy and Ryu were announced on a Sunday, so that isn't too far of a stretch. Plus with the new maintenance update coming on Monday, maybe the full update would release that day? Just my two cents, anyway.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Sakurai didn't think Dr. Mario should use fireballs, what if he thought the King shouldn't use equipment that are only used by the Kaptain and Baron?
Not gonna lie, it's a worry I've had a little while now. We have to hope that Sakurai's 'vision' of K. Rool includes more than just what his King persona uses.

Dustydog96

Smash Ace
What if they announce new content tomorrow? Roy and Ryu were announced on a Sunday, so that isn't too far of a stretch. Plus with the new maintenance update coming on Monday, maybe the full update would release that day? Just my two cents, anyway.
If they announce something tomorrow I'm super hyped. Simple as that lol

oinkers12

Smash Apprentice
I fear about the whole Dr. Mario comparison as well, but I feel like there are a lot of ballot submissions that tell Sakurai word for word about the multitude of options for the character. If that's his excuse then that would literally show that he didn't read them at all and was just compiling the names.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
To be fair, that's probably exactly what they do; there's a METRIC TON of votes on the Ballot, so namecounting is the most efficient way to do it.
I expect there's a bit of both. Namecounting first followed by reading submissions more carefully for a shortlisted few.

On King only - even if you do this, there's still a lot to work with. Krown Toss, Dropping Cannonballs, and the various charging attacks all amount to as much inspiration as Diddy Kong had and it wasn't a problem for him. If you include Krusha (Which I really don't think is a dramatic aesthetic departure at all so could still slip in even if Baron and Kaptain were rejected) then you have huge amounts to work with.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
There has to be a reason for the 500 characters' worth of feedback, though. Otherwise it'd just be as simple as "character name, gender, submit, job done!"

EDIT: Why is gender even a necessary aspect of the form? Do you think Sakurai will really consider votes based on that sort of demographic?

Last edited:

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
I expect there's a bit of both. Namecounting first followed by reading submissions more carefully for a shortlisted few.

On King only - even if you do this, there's still a lot to work with. Krown Toss, Dropping Cannonballs, and the various charging attacks all amount to as much inspiration as Diddy Kong had and it wasn't a problem for him. If you include Krusha (Which I really don't think is a dramatic aesthetic departure at all so could still slip in even if Baron and Kaptain were rejected) then you have huge amounts to work with.
And that's before even taking the PAON Games into account!

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
My King persona moves would be crown toss (trademark move), vertical cannonball drop, charge (run over a victim to put them into prone), a Klaptrap-releasing oil drum, a leaping green shockwave butt slam and a Kredits Final Smash. Maybe he can also do general DKC things like rolling TNT barrels or deflecting foes off of his golden belly like a Klump or Krusha.

I really hope they translate the votes with good write-ups, otherwise all the great moveset ideas we've put in would be for naught. They wouldn't seriously ignore all of them, right?

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
There has to be a reason for the 500 characters' worth of feedback, though. Otherwise it'd just be as simple as "character name, gender, submit, job done!"

EDIT: Why is gender even a necessary aspect of the form? Do you think Sakurai will really consider votes based on that sort of demographic?
Maybe they won't add K. Rool because no woman wants him (in the game). :troll:
:sadeyes:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

It discourages multiple voting, I think. The JP and PAL sites in particular ask for your name, age, and gender. The more info you have to type in, the more effort is the effort needed to vote again.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Neutral-b - Kannonball

K. Rool summons a kannonball from thin air. It falls down from above just in front of him and rolls briefly when it hits the ground.

Side-b - Krown Toss

K. Rool throws his krown, which can be freely aimed while it's in effect. It will snap back to K. Rool when it encounters a hurtbox or K. Rool himself is hit.

Up-b - Kroc Buster

K. Rool leaps into the sky and crashed down with tremendous force. It doesn't go very far, but it releases a powerful shockwave when he touches down.

Down-b - Klaptrap

K. Rool releases a Klaptrap that scuttles across the stage. It will snap onto any opponent it encounters and do consecutive damage before jumping off, or K. Rool can pick it up and throw it at will. It vanishes if it doesn't encounter anybody or when it's thrown.

Final Smash - Kredits

K. Rool calls on the Kredits to usher in his finest hour! The Kredits come up at the center of the stage and will pull off-screen anybody that stands on them when the words reach the upper blastzone.

There we go, a moveset totally inspired by just King K. Rool! :3

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed

The data isn't just for Smash-related use is the likely reason (and not all regions' forms ask for nickname or gender, as far as I know; I know the UK one asks for both, though). I know I've linked to this at least half a dozen times by now (sorry guys :laugh:) but I think it's really important to understand the distant origins of the present-day surveys, consequences of writing/talking to customer service representatives, and ballots, be they game-specific or not.

I really hope they translate the votes with good write-ups, otherwise all the great moveset ideas we've put in would be for naught. They wouldn't seriously ignore all of them, right?
As per the above, no, they wouldn't. They've been translating stuff and passing it back to teams in Japan for decades - they're surely not going to make an exception now. ;)

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
Really? I didn't know that, is that mentioned in some Sourcegaming's article? Anyway, Sakurai is unpredictable with these kind of things, Ness and Lucas using moves from other Mother characters and Koopalings turning into Shadow Mario is okay but Dr. Mario using fireballs and Dark Pit using the Three Sacred Treasures isn't.
Sakurai is a dirty liar who has been proven to be less trustworthy then the King himself. I make it a point to not believe anything he says and just assume he's going to do whatever he feels like because who gives a crap about consistency, amirite?

Morbi

Scavenger
My King persona moves would be crown toss (trademark move), vertical cannonball drop, charge (run over a victim to put them into prone), a Klaptrap-releasing oil drum, a leaping green shockwave butt slam and a Kredits Final Smash. Maybe he can also do general DKC things like rolling TNT barrels or deflecting foes off of his golden belly like a Klump or Krusha.

To be fair, in the description box, I do not believe they were looking for move-set ideas. Sure, general stuff here and there would probably be taken into consideration; however, Sakurai is the creative director. If he is anything like most creators, he wants things done his way. I believe that there is MORE than enough precedent to support that claim.

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
... Alright, I feel like some tin foil hatting, so lemme type something up because I want to blow this meaningless detail out of proportion.
They are advertising the costumes again because they are going to reveal K. Rool soon. They know that once K. Rool is out, that nobody will buy the costume, so they want to push it for any last sales they could get.
So why are they promoting Ryu also?

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Sakurai is a dirty liar who has been proven to be less trustworthy then the King himself. I make it a point to not believe anything he says and just assume he's going to do whatever he feels like because who gives a crap about consistency, amirite?
You know, I don't think he's a liar. I think he's just fickle and overflowing with ideas at the same time, leading to a lot of chopping and changing his mind. Some creators are just that way inclined.

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
Question: What if K Rool leads the ballot by a huge amount, but Sakurai just doesn't want him; Could the rest of Nintendo overrule Sakurai because the obvious profit they would make ?

Morbi

Scavenger
You know, I don't think he's a liar. I think he's just fickle and overflowing with ideas at the same time, leading to a lot of chopping and changing his mind. Some creators are just that way inclined.
Indeed. I have no idea why people believe that once someone says something, especially in regard to a completely different title (some people use what he said in Melee or Brawl as evidence for what will or will not happen in this game), that they are held to that standard FOREVER. People change, people change their minds, and circumstances change. It is not exclusive to creators in the slightest.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Question: What if K Rool leads the ballot by a huge amount, but Sakurai just doesn't want him; Could the rest of Nintendo overrule Sakurai because the obvious profit they would make ?
Absolutely they could.

Sakurai may be an independent developer, but he's contracted to work on this game by Nintendo, so he ultimately answers to the chain of command in Kyoto.

Morbi

Scavenger
I suppose this is could versus should. They COULD, but it is highly doubtful that they would. The profit difference from the winner of the ballot and the runner-up is more likely than not, completely negligible and they clearly value him as a developer. So there is no reason to be petty and overrule his choices if they are not absurd.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
To be fair, in the description box, I do not believe they were looking for move-set ideas. Sure, general stuff here and there would probably be taken into consideration; however, Sakurai is the creative director. If he is anything like most creators, he wants things done his way. I believe that there is MORE than enough precedent to support that claim.
They're not specifically soliciting moveset ideas, no (because they're not going to turn rabid fans away from voting, just because they can't spell out why their character is interesting), but if people submit them, I'd think they'd make it a point to at least read some.

"Why should this character become a fighter" is very easily and broadly answered by "This character can be cool because of moveset potential, like (list of examples)."

It's not a matter of "could they?" because yes, they definitely could, but "would they?" Nintendo at large seems to defer to Sakurai as some super genius where Smash is concerned, so if he were to defend his passing on K. Rool as "I, Sakurai, find this character boring and this one, my favorite, interesting," Nintendo would probably not press him on the matter. As much as the ballot votes speak for themselves as to the people who would buy a character, Nintendo could also think "more creative characters mean more publicity/money," and thus invest that creativity into their favorite characters instead of the ones with more votes.

That would suck, but isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Last edited:

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
Indeed. I have no idea why people believe that once someone says something, especially in regard to a completely different title (some people use what he said in Melee or Brawl as evidence for what will or will not happen in this game), that they are held to that standard FOREVER. People change, people change their minds, and circumstances change. It is not exclusive to creators in the slightest.
It's more the fact that he says completely opposite things within a super small amount of time. People can change their mind, but the fact that Sakurai flip-flops so quickly makes REALLY hard to take what he says seriously.

Morbi

Scavenger
They're not specifically soliciting moveset ideas, no (because they're not going to turn rabid fans away from voting, just because they can't spell out why their character is interesting), but if people submit them, I'd think they'd make it a point to at least read some.

"Why should this character become a fighter" is very easily and broadly answered by "This character can be cool because of moveset potential, like (list of examples)."
Right, but there is a difference between: "Hey, it would be cool if he used his blunderbuss" and "his neutral special should be this, his side-special should be that." There is also a difference between listing out moves as opposed to explaining why a couple of key moves are significant to his character. That is all I meant.

Sakurai and his team will make the move-set. The ballot is not there for people to post their dream move-sets. But again, if someone has a couple ideas or if one idea is prevalent among voters, sure, I hope they would consider it.

I agree with you. It is just that I do not believe that they would. There are thousands upon thousands of votes. To read all of them, especially the translated ones, is quite simply impossible. So, primarily, they are probably going to filter the votes with anything under 400 characters so that they save their time to read the good ones with a lot of information. Secondly, I doubt the (Japanese) team is going to read ANY translated votes unless the region selects them for marketing purposes. It is good enough to have say,Nintendo of America, read a fraction of their votes and relay the general consensus back to the team.

All I know is that even though I am a huge fan of King K. Rool, I do not waste time reading move-set ideas. There are some excellent ideas, nevertheless, I go into "skim mode." I am sure that people that do this as a job, rather than for fun, are even more inclined to skim those. Once you have read four or five, you have read them all.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I always envisioned Sakurai's independence working in our favor. DK Jungle Beat, DKCR, and DKCTF feel like suggestions that Nintendo themselves didn't like K. Rool and the Kremlings. Conversely, it was not until Smash Bros 3DS that we saw Kritters again. Hopefully this post doesn't bite me in the ass later, but if there's anyone who might deliver on K. Rool, I would think it would be Sakurai.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Right, but there is a difference between: "Hey, it would be cool if he used his blunderbuss" and "his neutral special should be this, his side-special should be that." There is also a difference between listing out moves as opposed to explaining why a couple of key moves are significant to his character. That is all I meant.

Sakurai and his team will make the move-set. The ballot is not there for people to post their dream move-sets. But again, if someone has a couple ideas or if one idea is prevalent among voters, sure, I hope they would consider it.

I agree with you. It is just that I do not believe that they would. There are thousands upon thousands of votes. To read all of them, especially the translated ones, is quite simply impossible. So, primarily, they are probably going to filter the votes with anything under 400 characters so that they save their time to read the good ones with a lot of information. Secondly, I doubt the (Japanese) team is going to read ANY translated votes unless the region selects them for marketing purposes. It is good enough to have say,Nintendo of America, read a fraction of their votes and relay the general consensus back to the team.

All I know is that even though I am a huge fan of King K. Rool, I do not waste time reading move-set ideas. There are some excellent ideas, nevertheless, I go into "skim mode." I am sure that people that do this as a job, rather than for fun, are even more inclined to skim those. Once you have read four or five, you have read them all.
Right. They don't need thousands of people telling them that DK characters, villains, heavyweights, K. Rool using the blunderbuss, K. Rool getting costumes, etc. are in high demand. What I'm hoping will happen, though, is that they'll take some ideas that stand out, like "K. Rool can drag foes off the screen with the Kredits as a Final Smash" or "K. Rool can have a playstyle where he's not a strong heavyweight, but he has a lot of traps that he can exploit while surviving to crazy percentages," and share those with the developers for their consideration.

"Consideration" is the word that keeps getting thrown around with relation to the ballot, so it would hopefully apply to ideas as well as the characters themselves.

Morbi

Scavenger
I always envisioned Sakurai's independence working in our favor. DK Jungle Beat, DKCR, and DKCTF feel like suggestions that Nintendo themselves didn't like K. Rool and the Kremlings. Conversely, it was not until Smash Bros 3DS that we saw Kritters again. Hopefully this post doesn't bite me in the *** later, but if there's anyone who might deliver on K. Rool, I would think it would be Sakurai.
Good point. And, in regard to the Mii costume, he used the favored design. Although, if King K. Rool does not make the Kut, I have no doubt that Sakurai helped lay the ground work for a subsequent developer to finish the job. His demand has never been more observable.

Top Bottom