• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social King K. Rool's Kremling Kutthroats: This...Is Our Finest Hour!

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
I would rather not wait for Smash news until December 6 or similar. I know it might be too hasty to expect a Direct on July. But August is fine too... right?.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I like your optimism personally I CAN'T STAND the bongo/paon era. It was such a drop in quality for the series. The best thing I can say about the Paon era is that they actually used Rare's creations/work too bad the quality of the games themselves were mediocre. Arcade era DK is "okay" it's good for what it is/was and if it wasn't for the original DK, Nintendo might not be where they are at today. Rare is obviously my favorite DK era but Retro comes real close and even though they don't use Kremlings or any animal buddies besides Rambi (and I guess Squawks) least I can say is that their DKC are really fun and hell of a lot better than anything Paon developed and better than the Konga series that's for sure.
The only good thing the Paon games brought were Kremling chicks, and those aren't showing up again in the foreseeable future.

In regards to the Arcade era, I'd rather see Stanley get brought in, if only because his game is critically ignored.

They're still sitting on gold with the DK Racing concept.
Yet Star Fox is supposedly getting that instead. I have no idea how they even think.

At any rate, we'll see if stuff happens on the 22nd.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Not really news, same vague quote on Bill Trinen we’ve discussed before.
On the upside, at least this seems to confirm that there WILL be more characters revealed. Why not just reveal that it was the whole roster if it, indeed, was? Then again, I suppose most people didn't ever think E3 was it, but I'm paranoid... haha

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Question. does Rare or Nintendo own King K. Rool?
was trying to search this information, didn't find anything, but was hearing a bunch of people mention that Nintendo actually owns everything from the country games, even the original characters.

Space Detective

Smash Journeyman
was trying to search this information, didn't find anything, but was hearing a bunch of people mention that Nintendo actually owns everything from the country games, even the original characters.
Nintendo owns K. Rool, yes.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Nintendo owns everything from the Donkey Kong games that Rare developed. That’s why we’ve seen the characters show back up in other titles, while the likes of Banjo & Kazooie haven’t.

Also, I really hope that people aren’t putting any stock into that July 22 “leak”. Even if it’s supportive of King K Rool, the rest of it reads like a wish list of Nintendo fans. Cuphead practically destroys the credibility as that is one of Microsoft’s premiere console exclusives. Fallout 76 on Switch sounds like a crazy pipe dream considering they’d struggle to get Fallout 4 running on Switch... and that’s without the always online systems of that game.

More importantly, I’m sure Nintendo is holding back a couple of things for this year, but even they’re not so boneheaded as to have sat on this much information and let their stocks take such a hit...

Space Detective

Smash Journeyman
Also, I really hope that people aren’t putting any stock into that July 22 “leak”. Even if it’s supportive of King K Rool, the rest of it reads like a wish list of Nintendo fans. Cuphead practically destroys the credibility as that is one of Microsoft’s premiere console exclusives. Fallout 76 on Switch sounds like a crazy pipe dream considering they’d struggle to get Fallout 4 running on Switch... and that’s without the always online systems of that game.
I don't think anyone is unquestionably taking it as gospel, it seems to me that people are more like "this is unsettlingly plausible with all the coincidences surrounding it".

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
I don't think anyone is unquestionably taking it as gospel, it seems to me that people are more like "this is unsettlingly plausible with all the coincidences surrounding it".
I can't say I agree. After Ridley and Daisy, Ultimate opened a lot of doors to fanbases that were previously closed. Now anyone can "leak" a highly suggested character, because after Ridley got in, everything seems to be fair game.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
The only “Donkey Kong” characters Nintendo does not own is every DKR64 character besides Diddy and Krunch.

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
I may not have played a game with the king in it, or own any console he was on, but d*mn it I want him in Smash, not just so we have a new villain, but so you guys can be happy.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
I like your optimism personally I CAN'T STAND the bongo/paon era. It was such a drop in quality for the series. The best thing I can say about the Paon era is that they actually used Rare's creations/work too bad the quality of the games themselves were mediocre. Arcade era DK is "okay" it's good for what it is/was and if it wasn't for the original DK, Nintendo might not be where they are at today. Rare is obviously my favorite DK era but Retro comes real close and even though they don't use Kremlings or any animal buddies besides Rambi (and I guess Squawks) least I can say is that their DKC are really fun and hell of a lot better than anything Paon developed and better than the Konga series that's for sure.
I honestly don't see a reason why people don't like the Paon games other than "They're not the Rare games." King of Swing wasn't a great game. It was easy and short, but the concept was fine and fun overall, it was average.

Barrel Blast was a very fast-paced action packed racing game with intensity that wouldn't have fit in the casual Mario Kart games. When you're playing against other good players, you have to stay vigilant because they can use melee attacks and wild moves, which you have to anticipate and dodge. Players have a lot more tools at their disposal to keep things competitive. The only thing I'd complain about is that, instead of giving players free reign over the tracks, they're restricted to what I would describe as lanes. However, Super Mario 3D World kept movement restricted to 8 straight directions with no deviation allowed at any time and people praised that as one of the best 3D platformers ever, so such a thing couldn't be too much of a problem.

I'd give the most praise to Jungle Climber. It was an entirely creative platformer that took what King of Swing did and refined the formula, with faster mechanics, inspired level design echoing DKC2 and DKC3, and a progressive difficulty. While I wouldn't personally rank it above any DKC except the first one, I'd say it deserves credit for creativity and how it refined the gameplay ideas King of Swing pitched.

StormC

Smash Hero
Jungle Climber is a genuinely great game and I’m sad we never got KOS3.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I don't believe that people are taking it as gospel, but honestly, any form of consideration of this leak feels wrong to me. There's way too much going against the idea of this specific direct with that specific information. There is too much here that is too perfect for many Nintendo fans, and there is basically no mention of 3DS related stuff they've yet to talk about in detail for some time now... All I've seen plausible is the possibility of Metal Sonic's reveal as playable in Mania, the third Pokemon gym, and the Funko Pop toys, none of these predictions feel too out there.

Now if I'm wrong I'll gladly eat my words and revel in the wonder of those announcements... I'll also be more than a little frustrated as to how much it continues to show Nintendo being out of touch with their own marketing and the importance of E3. But outside of maybe a direct date, I doubt any of the additional information is correct.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Besides, the '22th leak' still doesn't hit any point at 100%.
-Mario, Zelda and PKMN Funkos, not only Pikachu.
-A detailed MK8D DLC, not vague promises about support in the future.
-Metal Sonic playable, not a mayor role in an animated short.
-Pokemon let's Go info suitable of happening today or tomorrow, pretty soon anyway.
Still not a single sure shot and the info with FF7 or Cuphead, just too unbelivable.
I will relax about it.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Now if I'm wrong I'll gladly eat my words and revel in the wonder of those announcements... I'll also be more than a little frustrated as to how much it continues to show Nintendo being out of touch with their own marketing and the importance of E3. But outside of maybe a direct date, I doubt any of the additional information is correct.
Id argue that Nintendo has gotten more in touch with their marketing, as the Switches marketing has been miles more succesful than the Wii U and it shows. As for why they would sit on this sort of gold mine and not reveal it for E3... Nintendo looks at E3 very differently from other publishers. For some companyies out there, it is the only time in the year to show what they have and get the public's attention. For Nintendo it's one of a dozen times they can do that, and all of the other occasions have little competition. Why unload everything you have in a time where some of the shots can be drowned out by other competitors when you can keep it under wraps for a month or two and reveal your plans in a Direct with little to get in your way when it comes to gaming news. It's why for the last couple years Nintendo has rid of live conferences and went digital. It is also why they always primarily focus on one big hype inducing game like LoZ, Super Mario Odyssey, or Smash. They know what game will bring the most attention, so they pool most of their time into that game. Of course, this doesn't always work, as this years post E3 had Nintendo's stock lower, but E3 isn't make or break for Nintendo due to the numerous opportunity in the future to show off there games. Nintendo has games, they themselves have alluded to the fact that they have a fall plan, they just didn't show it at E3.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
-Pokemon let's Go info suitable of happening today or tomorrow, pretty soon anyway.
Still not a single sure shot and the info with FF7 or Cuphead, just too unbelivable.
I will relax about it.
Well of course none of the info has come up 100%. Why would there be a Direct if everything was already announced beforehand?

Don’t get me wrong; I absolutely think the leak is fake, there’s just too much going on in it that makes no sense. However, I do feel there are some major coincidences going on that at least deserve an ounce of suspicion.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I will relax about it.
Well there's part two on the leak

And that's kink rool and Dixie kong are revealed at the ending of the direct

But the real thing that kills it for me is cuphead on switch

I heard them say it's exclusive game except for steam

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I suppose Nintendo showing off King K. Rool and Dixie at Comic Con would make sense since their western made characters. Then again, I could be being really hopefull.
Wait wat? When did this happen?

Also, I loved the PAON games. Shame I missed out on DK Barrel Blast, always wanted to play that... DK Jungle Climber was AMAZING and if you missed out on that, you basically missed out on the more Rare-like Donkey Kong game ever since Rare left.

Last edited:

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
I suppose Nintendo showing off King K. Rool and Dixie at Comic Con would make sense since their western made characters. Then again, I could be being really hopefull.
Good point, even though they were actually made by a British studio. But I think that for the sake of spacing out the hype correctly, I don't think Nintendo would reveal him just after Ridley. But hey, I'd love to be proven wrong, and I'm much more confident about our King's chances that in Smash 4.

Mccdbz5

Smash Journeyman
I'm honestly quite surprised at how many people here think that there may be some legitimacy to this July 22nd leak. My personal impression of it is that it has a snowball's chance in Hell of being real. Mother 3D? Final Fantasy 7? Kingdom Hearts 3? Fallout 76? Cuphead? Forgive me, but I just find this laughable. I don't see a scenario in which Nintendo had all these huge announcements, but wanted to wait until the month AFTER E3 to reveal all of them. I feel like at least some of these titles would've been part of their E3 presentation. And I understand that Nintendo's not overly concerned with having as much of a presence at E3 as some of their competitors, but it's almost completely devoid of reason and logic to have so many big time announcements that you would delegate to a more niche presentation, rather than an event where everyone is paying attention.

I really feel that we occasionally give leaks like this some credence because of how badly we want King K. Rool to be in the game, and anytime we see some leak that includes him, however ridiculous the leak itself is, we always try to find something within the leak to latch onto. I say all this just to remind everyone to taper their expectations. I know most of you here also understand that this leak is most likely fake. I just feel like we're trying to find any piece of evidence that lends support to this leak, and I just think that to protect ourselves from another major disappointment, we should take a step back and just wait to see what happens. With all this being said, I certainly hope it's true for the sake of the King. I just don't see it happening. Not by virtue of this "leak" anyway.

SeasideKingDumb

Smash Apprentice
While I don't believe the July 22 leak is real, there is a bit more going for it than you may think. The Funko Pops and Mario Kart DLC were all accurately predicted before either of those were announced in any capacity. Also, it would make sense for Nintendo to do a big presentation because their stock dropped considerably after E3. Putting together a small presentation with a lot of brand new information would be enough to give them a lot of positive buzz.

Now, there's a lot of farfetched statements in the leak. I think the person who wrote it up probably knew some things via other leaks (like the Mario Kart stuff) and decided to add his own wishlist of items to make it sound more exciting. But people don't think it's possible JUST because K. Rool is part of it. This is the first fake leak, ironically, that has actually a decent amount going for it, despite sounding like a gigantic wishlist of things everyone would be happy about. So we'll see when July 22 rolls around and notice that there's nothing there, but it is probably, ironically, the best leak since Vergeben's in terms of accurate information.

StormC

Smash Hero
I’m still in the camp that some of the info might be real but the leaker threw in a bunch of outlandish bull crap to cover their tracks.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
I really only feel this leak has any legitimacy because of the few tidbits that dropped a few days after it was posted. It was like how I thought the Verbegen leak had any credibility because he was mostly right about Namco Bandai stuff, and rumors were circulating NB was making the new Smash.

The problem we have now is the lack of real updates. Before we could speculate on not only newcomers, but returning veterans, and those filled the gaps while we were waiting for the new fighters. Now that we know everyone is back, we're just sitting here, twiddling our thumbs, hoping one of these supposed "leaks" end up true, and when one seems like it's gonna be right, we latch. And boy, do we latch.

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
A friend of mine had brought up a good point today when me and him went out to breakfast... he said, Nintendo has done a direct of some sort in July almost every year but one.. whIle a fake leaker could easily use that a means to make a fake leak for July.. given that 3 things from the leak seem eerily possible at this point (before info came out about them) plus the fact that Nintendo has done directs in July (something I never realized till today) I'd say the things stacking in this leaks favor are pretty decent. I agree that there could be fake info peppered in with it to make it look fake and help the leaker cover their a**.

If that's the case let's hope the K. Rool and Dixie reveal are not one of the fake parts.....

My mindset towards the leak is cautiously optimistic, I don't think it's a gaurantee but there's too much that has come to pass that was listed for me not at least take another look. Plus I've said it before and in say it again, even some of the more outlandish parts of the leak are more realistic than some are giving credit for. MS allows Minecraft to be published on a Nintendo system and that's a MS owned IP and is vastly more popular than Cuphead.. it's not that outlandish to see Cuphead on a Nintendo platform at this point especially how Nintendo and MS have been very friendly with one another as of late.... for goodness sake they did an advertisement about the crossplay element of Minecraft a kid is playing on an Xbox in a Nintendo add if that's not a friendly relationship I don't know what is. I can see MS throwing Nintendo a bone and giving them Cuphead. It's just an Indy game that had mildly good sales and response. The devs of Cuphead would no doubt want their game on a system that has been boasting some of the highest indy game sales to date..

Not to mention Kingdom Hearts is multi plat go begin with and FF7 has been rumoured to be multi plat as well and considering Square is having fantastic sales on Switch AND they are devoting more development to Switch games it's not impossible.

Lastly Fallout 76 is made with Fallout 4's engine and assets.... I want to reiterate that if Doom and Wolfenstien can run on Switch so can Fallout 4 and if FO4 can so can 76.... it's not that unrealistic..

cothero

Smash Lord
A friend of mine had brought up a good point today when me and him went out to breakfast... he said, Nintendo has done a direct of some sort in July almost every year but one.. whIle a fake leaker could easily use that a means to make a fake leak for July.. given that 3 things from the leak seem eerily possible at this point (before info came out about them) plus the fact that Nintendo has done directs in July (something I never realized till today) I'd say the things stacking in this leaks favor are pretty decent. I agree that there could be fake info peppered in with it to make it look fake and help the leaker cover their a**.

If that's the case let's hope the K. Rool and Dixie reveal are not one of the fake parts.....

My mindset towards the leak is cautiously optimistic, I don't think it's a gaurantee but there's too much that has come to pass that was listed for me not at least take another look. Plus I've said it before and in say it again, even some of the more outlandish parts of the leak are more realistic than some are giving credit for. MS allows Minecraft to be published on a Nintendo system and that's a MS owned IP and is vastly more popular than Cuphead.. it's not that outlandish to see Cuphead on a Nintendo platform at this point especially how Nintendo and MS have been very friendly with one another as of late.... for goodness sake they did an advertisement about the crossplay element of Minecraft a kid is playing on an Xbox in a Nintendo add if that's not a friendly relationship I don't know what is. I can see MS throwing Nintendo a bone and giving them Cuphead. It's just an Indy game that had mildly good sales and response. The devs of Cuphead would no doubt want their game on a system that has been boasting some of the highest indy game sales to date..

Not to mention Kingdom Hearts is multi plat go begin with and FF7 has been rumoured to be multi plat as well and considering Square is having fantastic sales on Switch AND they are devoting more development to Switch games it's not impossible.

Lastly Fallout 76 is made with Fallout 4's engine and assets.... I want to reiterate that if Doom and Wolfenstien can run on Switch so can Fallout 4 and if FO4 can so can 76.... it's not that unrealistic..
Now that's some good points.

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
considering Square is having fantastic sales on Switch AND they are devoting more development to Switch games it's not impossible.

Great points!

To add to Square Enix having amazing sales - I read a few places that Octopath Traveler oversold both Enix and Nintendo's predictions and they have run out of physical copies in alot of stores... so good for them!

Last edited:

Tubbers09

Smash Cadet
NNID
Tubbers09
3DS FC
4811-7028-1398
Switch FC
5712-1549-9596
I don't think anyone is thinking the leak is real just because it has K. Rool in it. People are just keeping an eye on the leak because of a few things that seem like they may be on to something. If by the very unlikely chance that the leak is real, I would not be surprised that the direct would be a response to their stocks dropping after E3.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I honestly don't see a reason why people don't like the Paon games other than "They're not the Rare games." King of Swing wasn't a great game. It was easy and short, but the concept was fine and fun overall, it was average.

Barrel Blast was a very fast-paced action packed racing game with intensity that wouldn't have fit in the casual Mario Kart games. When you're playing against other good players, you have to stay vigilant because they can use melee attacks and wild moves, which you have to anticipate and dodge. Players have a lot more tools at their disposal to keep things competitive. The only thing I'd complain about is that, instead of giving players free reign over the tracks, they're restricted to what I would describe as lanes. However, Super Mario 3D World kept movement restricted to 8 straight directions with no deviation allowed at any time and people praised that as one of the best 3D platformers ever, so such a thing couldn't be too much of a problem.

I'd give the most praise to Jungle Climber. It was an entirely creative platformer that took what King of Swing did and refined the formula, with faster mechanics, inspired level design echoing DKC2 and DKC3, and a progressive difficulty. While I wouldn't personally rank it above any DKC except the first one, I'd say it deserves credit for creativity and how it refined the gameplay ideas King of Swing pitched.
I just didn't like the gameplay of either Jungle Climber or King of Swing. I got bored of them quickly. I also didn't like the art style or soundtracks to either game. Maybe I suck at the swing from peg to peg thing which also hampered my enjoyment. But I couldn't get past the first world in either game. Barrel Blast is a guilty pleasure of mine I'll admit. I wouldn't classify the game as "fast-paced" the game always felt slow and easy even on the hardest difficulty to me. The controls also take some getting use to. But I did have a lot of fun with it even if it is considered by many one of the worst games Nintendo has made.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
It's far more unrealistic than you're implying. Doom and Wolfenstein 2 run on the Id Tech 6 engine which is extremely friendly towards the user and both games run on dynamic resolutions targeting 60 FPS. Panic Button achieved these games on Switch by using the flexibility of this engine, cutting the frame rate in half, and downgrading a substantial amount of the assets like texture to lower quality.

Fallout 4, and Fallout 76 by extension, use a heavily modified version of the Gamebryo engine that Bethesda has been relying on for years. An engine that doesn't work well in its best moments. When Fallout 4 struggless on base PS4/Xbox One to maintain the consistent 30 FPS, trying to port that game to the Switch isn't going to do the game any favors. You can cut 60 FPS down to 30 FPS, but you can't really cut 30 FPS down any further. Let alone the always online brother of said game on to a console that fundamentally still hasn't figured out online services...

Honestly, besides Cuphead, this is the part where the leak fundamentally falls apart for me is why I make a semi-big deal out of it.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Top Bottom