• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Fake. If there was gonna be anytime Doom Slayer were to be announced it was this month at the VGA. I think his chances have pretty much gone down the drain at this point.
Ehhh, I don’t think Nintendo gives a crap about timing at all. Yeah, VGA would’ve been damn near perfect for his reveal but that doesn’t mean he can’t happen in the future. Plus, I’m sure they wouldn’t shift characters around just for the sake of lining up with VGA or an anniversary. Sephiroth was probably always meant to be CP8 and number 78. It just so happens that development lines up to coincide with VGA so they threw Geoff a bone.

I mean I’m always one of the most skeptical about these leaks, because of how often Hayabusa has been burned on them, so I don’t believe them but I don’t think Doom Slayer not being revealed at VGA just because it was Dooms Anniversary means that he can’t happen. It just means development didn’t line up for that.
Goodbye everyone. It's been nice talking to you all...
Sorry to see you go. Be sure to stop in if you ever feel like it.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
To everyone in this thread, did anyone here initially/originally want Hayabusa to be unplayable, but then changed their mind and decided to support Hayabusa instead?

I used to want Hayabusa to be an assist trophy, but then I eventually changed my mind and decided that Hayabusa warrants to be playable in Smash.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
To everyone in this thread, did anyone here initially/originally want Hayabusa to be unplayable, but then changed their mind and decided to support Hayabusa instead?

I used to want Hayabusa to be an assist trophy, but then I eventually changed my mind and decided that Hayabusa warrants to be playable in Smash.
I've never been the biggest supporter for Hayabusa, but I do believe he deserves to be in the roster since he's one of the last remaining NES All-Stars MIA from the roster along with Lance Bean/Bill Rizer from Contra, Battletoads, Arthur from Ghost N' Goblins, and Billy Lee/Jimmy Lee from Double Dragon.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It’s been a minute since we’ve posted on here so I might as well confess this for the comedy of it.

Last night I had a dream that Hayabusa made it into Smash which is really weird because I never have Smash related dreams. Funny thing is the whole build up of the trailer made it seem like it was a Dark Souls or Bloodborne character. One thing I remember pretty thoroughly is that the camera drifted away from the action, that was between Link and Sephiroth for some odd reason, and ended up zooming in on this shield with a bunch of arrows in it sitting in front of a big grate-like door. At this point I was like, yeah this is absolutely Dark Souls. Then I heard the very distinct 8-bit run sound from NG Classic, like from the intro, saw a shadow go across the shield and was like oh ****.

Then he sliced through Link and Sephiroth and he was... almost nothing like how I remember him. He was a generic Ninja in blue. And I remember his moves looking SUPER stiff and TERRIBLE I was just like... what? It was so weird because I love the NES games but something about this Hayabusa was so... off putting. It was REALLY weird. So yeah I just thought I’d share that with y’all, I’m really glad that was a dream lol.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, your guy's chances probably shot up with this.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Well, your guy's chances probably shot up with this.

I mean, it’s definitely cool to finally see some Koei-Tecmo content of SOME kind in the game even if it’s just Hyrule Warriors. So yeah I guess in that way it’s clear Nintendo has had talks with KT for content and that makes Hayabusa’s chances better.

Shame about Impa though. She was my choice for the next Zelda rep. If we ever get one at this point.

Last edited:

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
I mean, it’s definitely cool to finally see some Koei-Tecmo content of SOME kind in the game even if it’s just Hyrule Warriors. So yeah I guess in that way it’s clear Nintendo has had talks with KT for content and that makes Hayabusa’s chances better.

Shame about Impa though. She was my choice for the next Zelda rep. If we ever get one at this point.
There's already a KT assist trophy, Yuri Kozukata from Fatal Frame. The FF (not Final Fantasy nor Fatal Fury) series has two spirits. There were trophies in for Wii U as well, IIRC.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I feel bad for Impa, she's such a major legacy character in the series. Well, I hope that she'll get her chance someday
New plan: get the Geno supporters to support her.

There's already a KT assist trophy, Yuri Kozukata from Fatal Frame. The FF (not Final Fantasy nor Fatal Fury) series has two spirits. There were trophies in for Wii U as well, IIRC.
This here is why it's seen as odd why KT only got minor content to this extent without a stage or music to speak of.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Eh if they ever add Impa then I hope they stick with her Ocarina of Time/Hyrule Warriors design. Nothing against the new one except for how it doesn’t really fit the concept of her character all that much imo.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
The Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity spirits coming to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is a good sign for Ryu Hayabusa as it definitely shows Nintendo and Koei Tecmo were talking about Smash as they would’ve definitely had to inform Koei Tecmo about the artwork because well they made Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, so they could’ve also talked about a potential rep in Smash. My only fear is that I hope the Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity spirits aren’t the only thing that was discussed between Nintendo and Koei Tecmo in regards to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
So yeah I guess in that way it’s clear Nintendo has had talks with KT for content and that makes Hayabusa’s chances better.
I'm pessimistic about KT rep coming in, because I think the Hyrule Warriors Spirit event would have created a bigger tribute to Koei Techmo by coming after the KT Fighter. In my opinion, the effect of welcoming a new company would have been better without announcing Spirits earlier in the year. There are only 3 DLC left, but Smash just gave Koei Tecmo content with 2 ninjas ; I can't imagine that a Koei Tecmo fighter would be teased by Impa. But this is only my intuition and I could be wrong.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
I'm pessimistic about KT rep coming in, because I think the Hyrule Warriors Spirit event would have created a bigger tribute to Koei Techmo by coming after the KT Fighter. In my opinion, the effect of welcoming a new company would have been better without announcing Spirits earlier in the year. There are only 3 DLC left, but Smash just gave Koei Tecmo content with 2 ninjas ; I can't imagine that a Koei Tecmo fighter would be teased by Impa. But this is only my intuition and I could be wrong.
The 2 Ninjas (Impa and Master Kohga) are Nintendo characters due to it being The Legend of Zelda IP which is owned by Nintendo not Koei Tecmo

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Yes, Square had 2 spirit events
I know I forgot that at the time I posted that I was thinking “ah damn if they have this then it would make sense for them to wait until a Koei Tecmo character came” and then I remember Square ENIX had not one but TWO of these events before Sephiroth was revealed so I hope the same thing happens and they announce Ryu Hayabusa next (please Nintendo)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I know I forgot that at the time I posted that I was thinking “ah damn if they have this then it would make sense for them to wait until a Koei Tecmo character came” and then I remember Square ENIX had not one but TWO of these events before Sephiroth was revealed so I hope the same thing happens and they announce Ryu Hayabusa next (please Nintendo)
They also had Arc System Works copyrighted for the River City Ransom spirits, so I'm not sure if this is super meaningful. (though I wouldn't complain if we wound up getting Ryu Hayabusa and Sol Badguy as two of the three remaining characters)

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It is pretty weird that Arc System randomly got a Spirit Event out of nowhere so I wouldn’t be surprised to see Sol show up as one of the remaining 3. This KT one is a little more understandable since it is Zelda but I don’t think either of them really brings bad tidings for either company making it in. I feel like it’s the contrary.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Hmm, do spirit events hint upcoming DLC fighters?
So far, not really - Joker was announced before we got spirit events, Square-Enix didn't get any new spirits between the game's launch and Hero's reveal, and Banjo and Terry were from new companies that had no other content in Smash.

People thought a Three Houses character was likely due to the lack of a Fire Emblem: Three Houses spirit event, but that's not quite the same thing. (and it's not exactly consistent - we didn't get a Luigi's Mansion 3 spirit event, but that doesn't mean that King Boo is going to be playable) There were already ARMS spirits in the game before Min Min, so it's not like there'd be a conspicuously missing spirit event for that game.

There weren't any Microsoft-themed spirits between Banjo and Steve (unless you count Cuphead, but they're owned by Studio MDHR), and while there were Square-Enix spirit events before Sephiroth (Trials of Mana and Octopath Traveler), they could have pointed towards any number of Square-Enix characters. (Geno, 2B, Lara Croft, someone from Bravely Default, etc.)

The fact that Koei-Tecmo (and Arc System Works) randomly got a spirit event could mean something, but it could mean nothing - Warframe got two spirits thrown into an otherwise unrelated event, but that doesn't mean that we're getting a Warframe character (or a character from Digital Extremes, its developer) as DLC.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
So far, not really - Joker was announced before we got spirit events, Square-Enix didn't get any new spirits between the game's launch and Hero's reveal, and Banjo and Terry were from new companies that had no other content in Smash.
That was because Ren (Persona) was revealed on the release date of Smash Ultimate.

The fact that Koei-Tecmo (and Arc System Works) randomly got a spirit event could mean something, but it could mean nothing - Warframe got two spirits thrown into an otherwise unrelated event, but that doesn't mean that we're getting a Warframe character (or a character from Digital Extremes, its developer) as DLC.
I doubt Warframe would get any playable characters in Fighters pass 2.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Whoever the next fighter turns out to be, things are going to start getting ugly in this community afterwards as the Pass will be down to 2 more fighters and for all we know right now, that is it. The biggest flame war in the Smash community's history is about to start.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Whoever the next fighter turns out to be, things are going to start getting ugly in this community afterwards as the Pass will be down to 2 more fighters and for all we know right now, that is it. The biggest flame war in the Smash community's history is about to start.
Not complaining, but why are things getting Ugly? And could you give more explanation about the enormous flame war.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Not complaining, but why are things getting Ugly?
So in Smash 4 after Bayonetta was announced as the last fighter, a lot of people complained about it saying she stole the Smash Ballot and such. Some people were a angry she was the last fighter same with Wolf in Brawl. And since Ultimate is literally the Ultimate Smash game, the last newcomer and their fanbase is going to carry a lot of weight on their shoulders as people are going to be angry and do nothing but complain on why their characters didn't make it in after Ultimate is completely done.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Not complaining, but why are things getting Ugly? And could you give more explanation about the enormous flame war.
The same sort of thing happened in Smash 4. As more and more characters get revealed, there are less spaces for characters to get in. The developers can't please everyone, so no matter who the last character or two are, they'll become a lightning rod for the Smash fandom because "how dare the developers include this character over [insert user's favourite character here], who was obviously far more deserving!"

To see this in action, look at Bayonetta in Smash 4, where people are still throwing around conspiracy theories five years later that the real winner of the Smash Ballot was [insert user's favourite character who was popular at the time here], and Bayonetta was only included for promotional purposes. (to promote a non-Nintendo game that had came out a year or two ago on a system that very few people had bought)

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
So in Smash 4 after Bayonetta was announced as the last fighter, a lot of people complained about it saying she stole the Smash Ballot and such. Some people were a angry she was the last fighter same with Wolf in Brawl. And since Ultimate is literally the Ultimate Smash game, the last newcomer and their fanbase is going to carry a lot of weight on their shoulders as people are going to be angry and do nothing but complain on why their characters didn't make it in after Ultimate is completely done.
Oh dear, Max! I can already imagine people ranting and whining about why their wanted characters didn't make it in/got excluded. Once again, flattery isn't going to get them anywhere.

The same sort of thing happened in Smash 4. As more and more characters get revealed, there are less spaces for characters to get in. The developers can't please everyone, so no matter who the last character or two are, they'll become a lightning rod for the Smash fandom because "how dare the developers include this character over [insert user's favourite character here], who was obviously far more deserving!"
It has never been confirmed nor implied that Smash 6 will never happen.

To see this in action, look at Bayonetta in Smash 4, where people are still throwing around conspiracy theories five years later that the real winner of the Smash Ballot was [insert user's favourite character who was popular at the time here], and Bayonetta was only included for promotional purposes. (to promote a non-Nintendo game that had came out a year or two ago on a system that very few people had bought)
I'm sorry, but from what I know, Bayonetta probably deserved/earned the protest against her, primarily because she is genuinely obscure. Ren (Persona) and Terry on the other hand, they are only faux obscure, and in fact, they are actually well known/famous.

My definition of faux obscure is something or someone who is typically believed to be obscure, when they actually aren't

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Oh dear, Max! I can already imagine people ranting and whining about why their wanted characters didn't make it in/got excluded. Once again, flattery isn't going to get them anywhere.
For most people, the salt is going to be worse for them than Bayonetta as not only said character will be Ultimate's last newcomer, but probably Smash's last newcomer for several years as that is probably how long it will be until we see Smash 6.

Last edited:
Top Bottom