• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Hmm don’t remember that happening in the NES trilogy...
Oh, you never mentioned the original NES games but the newer games did exhibit such gore, although toned down in Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 and the original modern Ninja Gaiden 3.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Oh, you never mentioned the original NES games but the newer games did exhibit such gore, although toned down in Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 and the original modern Ninja Gaiden 3.
Well yeah, that’s true.
But what I meant to say is that with how much the content changes from game to game, I think it’s a little more fair to say that the respective M-rated NG games are more defined by the violence rather than the character himself, if you catch my drift.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I don’t know exactly where we stand with Vergeben but the long awaited Minecraft claim has finally come to be, so....COULD IT BE TRUE!? https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/79011455?jumpto=162#162
Just about to post that

Maybe shifty as well

Oh by the way found out about steve

He was on the table 5 years ago so that means Wii U days

So thinking about it

So Minecraft Steve/alex was probably intended to be FP5 based on vergeben statement

Last edited:

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Koei Tecmo is so close to Nintendo I will be upset if Ryu is not one of the last fighters in FighterPass Vol 2. I mean just look at the history. Koei support Nintendo more than any other Third Partie Company.

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
Yeah I pray for that to NOT happen please, that would be doing Koei Tecmo dirty
If this were to happen, Koei Tecmo would've had to agree with this outcome as well so don't place the blame on Nintendo if this occurs.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Given that it took 5 years for Steve to come to fruition, it's possible that Ryu Hayabusa could be part of the latter part of the pass

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Just about to post that

Maybe shifty as well

Oh by the way found out about steve

He was on the table 5 years ago so that means Wii U days

So thinking about it

So Minecraft Steve/alex was probably intended to be FP5 based on vergeben statement
I had a theory that when Shifty/Brew's source last year said that Hayabusa was the next character coming. What they meant was that Hayabusa was at the time the most recent character to be locked for Season 2. Like they heard that Hayabusa was being added but what Shifty/Brew thought was CP4 of Vol 1 was in reality CP8-11 of Vol 2.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Koei Tecmo is so close to Nintendo I will be upset if Ryu is not one of the last fighters in FighterPass Vol 2. I mean just look at the history. Koei support Nintendo more than any other Third Partie Company.
Exactly! Koei Tecmo is a HUGE partner to Nintendo, like I said, Nintendo would be doing Koei Tecmo dirty if they didn’t give them a playable character in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Travis Touchdown is a Mii Costume, for a bit it’s been stated that Ryu Hayabusa and Travis Touchdown were kind of competing as the M reps for this pass, now that he is a Mii Costume it seems like Ryu Hayabusa’s chances increased (don’t want to jinx it though)
7646FC39-7DE7-4674-9C50-6DF90890AC9C.jpeg

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
There's something I've been meaning ask about the M theory; they said it won't feature a title that is a M rated game but didn't Castlevania have some M-rated games and they still showed that with the Smash Ultimate logo? I don't see how they would be any different from Ninja Gaiden.

Travis Touchdown is a Mii Costume, for a bit it’s been stated that Ryu Hayabusa and Travis Touchdown were kind of competing as the M reps for this pass, now that he is a Mii Costume it seems like Ryu Hayabusa’s chances increased (don’t want to jinx it though)
I'm honestly not surprised if Hayabusa won that particular spot. His series is just far more iconic and significant than No More Heroes. Not only that but you can pretty much say Hayabusa is a major part of Nintendo's history too, since it was one of the first NES series to feature cutscenes in a video game.

Last edited:

jamesster445

Smash Lord
There's something I've been meaning ask about the M theory; they said it won't feature a title that is a M rated game but didn't Castlevania have some M-rated games and they still showed that with the Smash Ultimate logo? I don't see how they would be any different from Ninja Gaiden.
The lack of M rated logos is only in America due to ESRB. I dont think that's going to affect anything. And yes later Castlevania games were M rated.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
At this rate given the negotiations for Steve lasting 5 years and the fact, Vergeben had been right all along regarding Minecraft (He just might have gotten things a little wrong). I'm certainly thinking Ryu Hayabusa is among the final four. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the next character tbh.
Given that it took 5 years for Steve to come to fruition, it's possible that Ryu Hayabusa could be part of the latter part of the pass
Don't forget how Vergeben may have been right all along, he probably got his "Minecraft content" a bit wrong was all. Fairly certain on Ryu's chances now.

Last edited:

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord
The lack of M rated logos is only in America due to ESRB. I dont think that's going to affect anything. And yes later Castlevania games were M rated.
Yeah and they still used that name in the logo, so they can do the same with Ninja Gaiden, right? Maybe use the NES logo?

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
Since Smash Ultimate is a behemoth gaming crossover now, Nintendo has a tight relationship with Koei Tecmo and Ninja Gaiden has a legacy that started on the NES, I really can't see Hayabusa not being in at this point.
Plus after seeing Steve's crazy move set today, I feel like Hayabusa can live up to the precedent made by him and Min Min. Dude has SO MANY moves he can pull from and not even mentioning all the great music he could bring.

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Wait so where do we stand about the ESRB affecting Hayabusa’s chances? Will it affect him because his game is rated M?

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Wait so where do we stand about the ESRB affecting Hayabusa’s chances? Will it affect him because his game is rated M?
Ryu isn't a particularly vulgar character like Bayonetta or Travis so I'm not worried about them having to tone down his personality in any way. And minus the blood and dismemberment, Ryu's overall fighting style should be on par with the other fighters.

M rating censorship seems to be an American thing only. I remember that Sakurai is also just not a fan of ratings boards, especially after they stopped him from putting Mai in the Kof stage.

My biggest concern is something else. Min Min and Steve are mechanically unique characters with interesting gimmicks. I personally never felt that Ryu needed a gimmick, so I never considered what it could be. But given the current landscape of Volume 2, that seems to be what they're going for. Again I've never considered a gimmick for him, and if that's going to be a problem.

Last edited:

RETROROTER

Smash Journeyman
Ryu isn't a particularly vulgar character like Bayonetta or Travis so I'm not worried about them having to tone down his personality in any way. And minus the blood and dismemberment, Ryu's overall fighting style should be on par with the other fighters.

M rating censorship seems to be an American thing only. I remember that Sakurai is also just not a fan of ratings boards, especially after they stopped him from putting Mai in the Kof stage.

My biggest concern is something else. Min Min and Steve are mechanically unique characters with interesting gimmicks. I personally never felt that Ryu needed a gimmick, so I never considered what it could be. But given the current landscape of Volume 2, that seems to be what they're going for. Again I've never considered a gimmick for him, and if that's going to be a problem.
It’s more of the American thing I’m taking about, what if that stops his chances entirely because they can’t put his video game series logo at the end of his trailer? I know that Nintendo probably wouldn’t let a rating board get in their way but it is something to consider

Wonder Smash

Smash Lord

He could have a unique counter ability based on the Dead or Alive series which allows him to do the Izuna Drop. That gimmick alone would be enough to make him stand out.

Last edited:

iMACobra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
iMACobra
3DS FC
2638-0959-8965
Switch FC
SW 5478 1069 7302
I don't think Nintendo of America (NoA) censoring out rated-M series title logos whilst the rest of the world doesn't give a **** has any bearing on whether or not Ryu Hayabusa has a spot in Fighters Pass Vol. 2. We have multiple rated-M characters already in the roster: Snake, Bayonetta, Simon, Richter, and Joker. Two of those were DLC at one point in time. NoA is just weird and they can't do anything about it if Sakurai and Nintendo of Japan added an M-rated series character in this Fighters Pass. If they have to use the retro Ninja Gaiden logo for whatever petty reason, so long as I get modern Ryu's design, Izuna Drops, Guillotine Throws, Flying Swallows, Ultimate Techniques, Shurikens, etc. I'm good.

As for whether or not Ryu would have a unique gimmick, I don't think he needs one. Banjo & Kazooie arguably don't have one. Wonder Wing is just another move, unlike something that is a huge defining part of his kit like Joker's Arsene, Cloud's Limit Meter, Hero's random Spell List, etc. You could argue giving Ryu the Windmill Shuriken and it working like it does in the NES games where it boomerangs around Ryu until it finally comes back to him would be a gimmick akin to Banjo's limited use of Wonder Wing. Wall running/climbing and running on water could also be possible gimmicks used. After Steve, I don't think anything can top his moveset in terms of gimmickiness and complexity. Sakurai's team had to modify every single stage to get Steve's material gathering and block placing mechanic to work properly which probably increased Steve's development time to be the longest out of any DLC fighter they made and are currently making.

If it is true that Ryu Hayabusa is coming to Smash, him being revealed and released later probably has to do with Koei Tecmo wanting it to coincide with any future Ninja Gaiden projects currently in the works. There is that Chinese publisher leak of a Ninja Gaiden Sigma Trilogy coming to PS4 and Switch and the rumors of a new Ninja Gaiden game coming to Xbox Series X. Those are just my thoughts and could easily be false but I'm hoping for them to be true. Square Enix used Hero to blantantly advertise Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition so there is precedence for this.

I'd be more worried about if Koei Tecmo would rather choose a Dynasty Warriors character since that is their most popular and profitable series worldwide or Atelier Ryza since she is recent and getting a new game at the end of the year.

Sorry for the wall of text.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm making a decent amount of progress in Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge, and I'm enjoying it more than the other Ninja Gaiden games that I've tried. (the fights with random enemies seem fairer, which helps, and the bow makes it easier to deal with random enemies at a distance - my only issue is when enemies jump literally out of thin air to hit me with a grab attack, but that doesn't deal as much damage as some of their other attacks) The boss fights are still hard, but they're nowhere near as frustrating as Ninja Gaiden Sigma or the platforming in the NES original (at least in my experience) - a lot of them just seem to take patience.

The Golden Scarabs seem to have some pretty important abilities locked behind them (extra health, new weapons, and I'm not sure what else) - while I'm not intentionally trying to get all of them, I might go back and get any that I missed if it turns out that I'm close to getting all 50. (I'm pretty sure the game has the option to replay chapters)

While it seems to be looked down upon among the Ninja Gaiden games, I'm glad that I got it, and I'm looking forward to beating at least one Ninja Gaiden game.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace
Not to mention that Castlevania also got a hiper 18+ tv show on Netflix not too long ago, full of excessive violence and gore.

But how exactly does ESRB ratings count as “reps” and how does the inclusion of one M-rated debunk other M-rated characters, anyway???
I mean, I know Smash is supposed to be a goofy kid friendly fighting game but as long as they’re including characters from M-rated franchises that actually make sense and that have moveset potential, (and obviously if the content from their games doesn’t go too far for Smash’s standards), I really don’t see much of a problem tbh.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I guess my thought is that if Nintendo and/or Sakurai really want him in, they can figure out ways to get past or downplay the M rated nature of his current games. This is the same team that made Minecraft Steve work as a fighter (even with all the reprogramming necessary for it), so the sky's the limit. Heck they could make his default look the NES appearance, have his splash screen be "Smash Bros x Ninja Gaiden" with the old 80s logo, and have elements from his newer games be subtly incorporated in his moveset if they absolutely had to.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I'd be more worried about if Koei Tecmo would rather choose a Dynasty Warriors character since that is their most popular and profitable series worldwide or Atelier Ryza since she is recent and getting a new game at the end of the year.
Fun Fact: Monster Hunter and Resident Evil sell better than Street Fighter and Mega Man, yet the latter two got reps in Smash, while MH only got a Boss and RE, Capcom's golden Goose...............just gets Spirits.

Also while Dynasty Warriors is popular, i think it says something that the most popular among them tend to be Hyrule Warriors or other crossover-themed ones. Of course it's gonna be their most popular one if they slap recognizable IPs like Zelda or Fist of the North Star.

Sales aren't everything, and yes Sakurai made a big deal about MC's beign the best selling game in the world, but not every character or franchise must be held to that standard.

and why are people thinking Ryza is suddenly likely?, because she is recent? This is Smash Ultimate, where we got K.Rool and Banjo & Kazooie. Atelier Ryza is Spirit Event fodder just like Octopath Traveler and Trials of Mana Remake, games that came out recently and got Spirit Evens to celebrate.

When it comes to promotional Guests, yes we got the Luminary, but he still came with the Heroes from other DQ games. Only Fire Emblem has followed the path of getting characters from the most recent games as DLC. and while i guess she could be compared to Joker due to Atelier beign far older than people think, even the boom Atelier had after Ryza's game is nowhere as big as Persona got after Persona 5, so even then that comparison doesn't work as well in my opinion.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Not to mention that Castlevania also got a hiper 18+ tv show not too long ago, full of excessive violence and gore.

But how exactly does ESRB ratings get “reps” and how does the inclusion of one M-rated debunk other M-rated characters, anyway???
I mean, I know Smash is supposed to be a goofy kid friendly fighting game but as long as they’re including characters from M-rated franchises that actually make sense and that have moveset potential, (and obviously if the content from their games doesn’t go too far for Smash’s standards), I really don’t see much of a problem tbh.
One m rated?

Snake
Joker
Bayonetta
And the belmonts recently went to M rated like mentioned (but the two belmonts in the game were pre m-rated Castlevania games)

Ryu case easily the NES era of him

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Aren't Dynasty Warrior characters all real historical people? Wouldn't that make them ineligible? Regardless, who even comes to mind when you think of characters from DW? Who stands out enough to be considered a character?

I have renewed hope for Ryu again y'all, it's great. I didn't even remember that Verge had said what he did about Ryu. I'm still astounded the Minecraft content came true. I'm hoping to see Crash too, but I'll consider myself lucky if I get to see at least one of them.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Aren't Dynasty Warrior characters all real historical people? Wouldn't that make them ineligible? Regardless, who even comes to mind when you think of characters from DW? Who stands out enough to be considered a character?

I have renewed hope for Ryu again y'all, it's great. I didn't even remember that Verge had said what he did about Ryu. I'm still astounded the Mincraft content came true. I'm hoping to see Crash too, but I'll consider myself lucky if I get to see at least one of them.
TBF tho, we do have Dr. Kawashima, who is also an IRL person. A DW character wouldn't be too far off.

But out of all Koei Tecmo characters, Ryu would still be the frontrunner.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I've written up a hypothetical moveset for Ryu Hayabusa. Admittedly, I don't know how well it represents the character since I haven't beaten a Ninja Gaiden game yet, but I think it speaks volumes that I'm only halfway through my first game in the series, and I'm able to come up with an entire moveset based on a single weapon set (the Dragon Sword/Jinran-Maru attacks from Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge) and some other attacks that are used with any weapon.

Ryu Hayabusa Infiltrates Smash!

Ryu Hayabusa would have two costumes – his modern black bodysuit (which would be his default) and his blue ninja garb from the NES games. For his bodysuit, the palette swaps could be based on the outfits for Kasumi (blue with white highlights), Ayane (purple with dark blue highlights), and Momiji (white with red highlights) – I chose those three because they’re also playable in the Ninja Gaiden games. His NES-era outfit could have more traditional Smash palette swaps with red and green outfits; the red outfit could do double duty by referencing his father Jo, from the intro to the original NES game. The last palette swap would be light purple, to reference his sprites in the NES game.

For a series logo, I’m going to go with a falcon head, which is in Ninja Gaiden 3’s upgrade menu where it’s used for Ryu’s unlockable costumes. I could use a shuriken, but I’m not sure if that would be too generic. (then again, Mega Man used a gear, so being generic might not be an issue) From what I’ve seen, Ryu’s associated with both dragons and falcons, so a series logo could go any number of ways, but the falcon is a symbol used in NG3’s menus to represent Ryu (other characters have different symbols for their unlockable costumes, like a flower for Kasumi), so that’s what I’ll pick.

For a stage, I’m not overly familiar with the environments of Ninja Gaiden, given my inexperience with the series. One place that comes to mind, however, is Hayabusa Village. A traditional Japanese village seems very different from what we’ve gotten in Smash so far in terms of stages, with the sloped hills and wooden houses making for some unusual fighting terrain. If the stage has hazards (most of the DLC stages don’t, but Mementos had the trains), I could see falcons flying in to smack fighters out of the air, or members of the Black Spider Ninja clan showing up to attack the village and the fighters. If they’re limited to being background elements, maybe the Black Spider Ninjas could still show up, only to have Ayane fighting them off in the background.

Ryu starts out already on the stage, invisible (though it’s Predator-style invisibility, so he can faintly be seen) before fully appearing and drawing his sword. For his idle animations, Ryu looks at his sword or spins it around in a dramatic flourish.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is largely going to be based on Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge, as that’s the main game that I’ve played. I’m not sure how different it is from the other games in the series in terms of combat, and I haven’t played a Dead or Alive game, so I’m not sure how Ryu fights there (I wound up looking up his throws when I got to that section, but I figured I should stick to one type of fighting style for the sake of consistency and simplicity). I’m using Ryu’s sword moves from Razor’s Edge as a reference, so I’ll include the commands from the original where they apply.

A-->AA-->AAA: Slant/Crescent/Lotus Slash. Ryu uses his basic light-light-light sword combo – a downwards swing, followed by a vertical swing, followed by a heavier downwards swing.

Forward A: Violent Wind/Gale. Ryu swings the sword twice horizontally, shouting on the second swing. (light attack while moving)

Up A: Ryu kicks his opponents into the air, based on one of his finishing moves on dismembered opponents.

Down A: Ryu uses a sliding kick, based on his slide dodge.

Forward Smash: Annihilating Demon. Ryu lunges forward, swinging the sword diagonally like when he charges a heavy attack.

Up Smash: Scarlet Dragon. Ryu swings his sword upwards, which works as a launcher attack. (light-hold heavy) At max charge, Ryu will leap up after the opponent (Azure Dragon; light-tap heavy)

Down Smash: Dragon Ring Slash. Ryu spins around, slashing his sword horizontally at head level, chest level, and finishing at his opponent’s feet if the attack is fully charged. (heavy-heavy-heavy) If it’s not charged, he’ll only use the foot attack, while if it’s partially charged, he’ll aim at the chest and feet. The blow to the head does more damage, but the blow to the feet is what sends the enemy flying.

Neutral Air: Ryu flips in midair while slashing with his sword, like his upgraded midair attack from the NES game.

Forward Air: Ryu swings his sword forward, like his regular air attack from the NES game.

Back Air: Falling Falcon. Ryu turns around, swinging his sword downwards. (running jump light attack)

Up Air: Flip Kick. Ryu flips to kick above himself; based on the flip that he does at the end of an upwards wall run.

Down Air: Helmet Splitter. Ryu stabs straight downwards, impaling whoever’s below him (air heavy attack)

Dash Attack: Piercing Wind. Ryu stabs forwards as he skids along the ground. (running heavy)

Wake-Up Attack: Crouching Crane. Ryu spins around with his sword outstretched, knocking enemies away from him. (360 motion + heavy)

Climb Attack: Ryu leaps back on stage, stabbing his sword in front of him. (this is based on what happens to whatever unfortunate enemy is standing by a ledge when you’re climbing up the wall beneath him)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grab: Ryu grabs the opponent with one hand, keeping the other on his sword.

Pummel: Ryu knees the opponent.

Forward Throw: Guillotine Throw. Ryu jumps over his opponent, grabbing them by the head before flipping to throw them a great distance.

Back Throw: Ryu stabs his sword into the enemy before flinging them behind him; based on one of his finishing moves on dismembered opponents. (along with some of the Steel on Bone attacks)

Up Throw: Izuna Drop. I feel like it has to be this. Grabbing the opponent, Ryu leaps into the air, spinning around like a drill before flipping around, falling back down, and slamming them into the ground head-first.

Down Throw: Ryu throws the opponent to the ground before disappearing in a puff of smoke. He appears above the opponent, and lands on top of them with his arms crossed as his scarf billows dramatically. I looked into his throws in Dead or Alive while trying to come up with his down throw; DOA has a much larger amount of throws than I expected, but it’s based loosely on this team throw.

Up Taunt: sheathing his sword, Ryu clasps his hands together with his index fingers held up in a stock ninja pose before drawing his sword again.

Side Taunt: Ryu holds out his arm, and a falcon lands on it before flying off.

Down Taunt: Ryu places a fist on the ground, meditating. In Razor’s Edge, this gains him health, though it does nothing in Smash.

B: Shuriken. A staple tool for a ninja, though this move can be charged. If it’s tapped, Ryu throws out an ordinary throwing star; it’s quick, making it easy to catch an opponent off-guard from a distance, but it barely does any damage. Holding down the button until Ryu has a faint purple aura (which doesn’t take long) and releasing it causes Ryu to throw a windmill shuriken, which is much larger, more damaging, and returns to Ryu like a boomerang. Much like in the NES game, Ryu can jump over it to make it go back and forth, though it’s tricky to do this multiple times in a row. Holding the button longer, until Ryu gains a red and orange aura, and releasing causes Ryu to throw out flames, which are much faster than the shurikens, more damaging, and can travel a longer distance before they disappear.

Up B: Wind Blades/Falcon Dive. Concentrating, Ryu glows blue before creating a tornado around himself, which launches him upwards and damages nearby enemies. Once he reaches the peak of his jump, he transitions into a Falcon Dive to launch himself forwards. He glides through the air, though he has no control over the speed of his glide, making his movement fairly predictable and leaving him open to attack. The glide can be cancelled by dodging in midair or pressing B – pressing B will cause Ryu to dash forward slightly, and if he makes contact with an opponent, he uses a command grab where he stands on the opponent’s shoulders before leaping off of them, spiking whoever he hits and getting some more horizontal distance. However, canceling it with either of these methods will put Ryu into a helpless state afterwards.

Side B: Bow. Taking a bow off of his back, Ryu fires an arrow at his opponent. If the B button is held, the angle that Ryu fires at can be changed by moving the control stick, making it effective at keeping the enemy from returning to the stage. However, it has a relatively lengthy cooldown after firing compared to the Shuriken.

Down B: Fire Wheel. Three fire balls spin around Ryu, similar to Mega Man’s Leaf Shield. Unlike Leaf Shield, this doesn’t block projectiles; however, it does much more damage than the Leaf Shield to enemies that come near Ryu. If an enemy touches a fireball, the fireball disappears, and Ryu can move while it's active. Pressing down B again while the Fire Wheel is active causes Ryu to use Art of the Inferno, which causes the fireballs to merge into a larger fireball above Ryu’s head before being flung to the ground in front of Ryu. Upon landing, or getting far enough from Ryu, they create a large explosion. The wheel will disappear after a while.

Final Smash: Art of the True Inferno. Ryu chants as fire gathers around his hands, before drawing his arms back. As he thrusts his arms forwards, a flaming serpentine dragon flies out of the flames, spinning around the stage before stopping to roar and flying straight into the air.

For one victory pose, a straw dummy is sitting on the victory screen before Ryu slashes its side with a kunai, leaving him crouched on the ground near the camera with his kunai held out. In another victory pose, Ryu and a ninja wearing gray leap at each other, slashing before they hit the ground. The gray ninja collapses as Ryu stands up straight, in a reference to the original game’s opening cutscene. For a third victory screen, he stands with his back to the camera, before he glances over his shoulder as the camera zooms in on his face. This is partially based on the ending to the original arcade game, but I thought the concept would look cool.

For a victory theme, a remix of the Act Start jingle from the NES game seems like it would fit.

If Kirby absorbs Ryu, he gains Ryu’s modern mask and scarf. He also gets Ryu’s shuriken special, along with the charged variants.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I'm surprised I haven't all that contributed to this forum; but I will say that since he's become a lot more popular in terms of speculation, I've thought that Ryu Hayabusa would be a pretty cool addition to this cast of all-stars. I've played a fair bit of the NES Ninja Gaiden through the NES Online and enjoyed it, and sometimes played as Ryu in the off-times I've tried Dead or Alive.

Given that Steve miraculously happened after Vergeben's insistence finally paid, off, I definitely have a suspicion that Hayabusa is probably still on the table, given his legacy and Koei-Tecmo's partnerships. So yeah, feel free to sign me up for the support squad, even if I'm not much of a speculator these days!

Top Bottom