• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Justice Always Triumphs." - Ryu Hayabusa for Smash Switch! (Ninja Gaiden/Dead or Alive)

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I'd really love Ryu Hayabusa in Smash, he has plenty of moves to draw on from both the NES trilogy and Modern trilogy as well as DoA.

He could even have both of his looks as alts.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
IT would surprise me if we don't at least get some sort of nod to Tecmo Koei, even if it's just Hyrule/ Fire Emblem Warriors related.

But the ultimate nod is of course playable Hayabusa.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I see what you did there.

I do agree with Warriors content. I imagine since Namco is working on the game and PacMan is returning that's why Pikachu Libre got in. So I assume similar logic can be applied to Tecmo.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
IT would surprise me if we don't at least get some sort of nod to Tecmo Koei, even if it's just Hyrule/ Fire Emblem Warriors related.

I can dream about Darios too (points to avatar) but I know that'll never happen sadly :p

Yeld

Smash Rookie
If we got Ryu Hayabusa in SMASH Ultimate, it would immediately elevate the game to GOD-tier status.

Yeah, Sony and Microsoft had some neat games at E3, but nothing would really compare imho.
Why would I ever play anything else if I could dominate my friends with Ryu Hayabusa in Smash?

Also, yeah I made an account just to get that off my chest!

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
If we got Ryu Hayabusa in SMASH Ultimate, it would immediately elevate the game to GOD-tier status.

Yeah, Sony and Microsoft had some neat games at E3, but nothing would really compare imho.
Why would I ever play anything else if I could dominate my friends with Ryu Hayabusa in Smash?

Also, yeah I made an account just to get that off my chest!
Izuna drop for uthrow? Would look rad.

What would you do for his moveset? I'd try to merge his modern and nes stuff as best as I could.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
One of my most-wanted newcomers.

I want his reveal trailer to be a recreation of the intro of the NES game, but with him and Greninja. :p

I personally want Ryu, HW version of Impa, and a Rygar Assist Trophy.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Have played the NES trilogy, loved it, would love to see Ryu get in Smash. He’s a part of Nintendo history, and with the rumor that Belmont is getting in this time, it’s basically only Ryu left to properly represent the NES era (then we can move to adding third parties from the SNES).

Also, would love to get a chance to play the new games, I’m really glad Ninja Gaiden managed to make the jump into the modern area (so many classic franchises have died trying). If they were to make a collection for the Switch, or a 4th one, I’d be stoked.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
I played the first NES game and found it pretty solid. Ryu was also a favorite of mine in the fangame Super Mario Crossover. I've also heard alot of good things about the 3D action titles so he has my support. I made these for you guys =) p.s I called him Hayabusa to distance himself from SF Ryu (also if you guys want I can make an alternate splash screen with the classic light blue suit)

Last edited:

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
One of my most-wanted newcomers.

I want his reveal trailer to be a recreation of the intro of the NES game, but with him and Greninja. :p

I personally want Ryu, HW version of Impa, and a Rygar Assist Trophy.
I love that trailer concept, and to keep it lighthearted it'd be hilarious for Greninja to start the crouch at the end, but instead of falling over he shoots off at an upward diagonal with the Smash smoke effect trailing behind, quickly followed by Ryu's splash screen.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Love the trailer concepts you guys are coming up with, also the cool thing with Hayabusa is he'd have his modern black and NES Blue sets for a pair of costumes too.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
If Hayabusa was added he needs his Dragon Sword, Scythe, Claws, Kusarigama, Ninpo and for his Final Smash; Art of True Flame Dragon.

As for a Stage; it needs to be Hayabusa Village.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I love that trailer concept, and to keep it lighthearted it'd be hilarious for Greninja to start the crouch at the end, but instead of falling over he shoots off at an upward diagonal with the Smash smoke effect trailing behind, quickly followed by Ryu's splash screen.
Or he just turns into a log. :p

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
If Hayabusa was added he needs his Dragon Sword, Scythe, Claws, Kusarigama, Ninpo and for his Final Smash; Art of True Flame Dragon.

As for a Stage; it needs to be Hayabusa Village.
I dno if he'd have all those things, he MIGHT have the Dragon Sword and his sub weapons from the NES games, plus his Modern grabs like the Izuna drop, not sure how much they'd go into all his weaponry from the Modern games though.

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I'd love to see Hayabusa make it in, I loved the NES game. Should he get in, I feel like having the infamous bird should be incorporated in some way.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The Dead or Alive games also give him a HUGE amount of material to work with on TOP of ALL his source games.

Come on Sakurai, he's perfect.

Yeld

Smash Rookie
I think JameStar's Moveset (the first one in the OP) is pretty much spot on.

The only thing I would change is the neutral B.

I would handle it like this:

Tap B ==> Hayabusa throws a single small shuriken at the position of the closest enemy (much like in modern Ninja Gaiden).
Tap B up to four times to throw a flurry of shuriken this way. Throwing more shuriken is obviously more of a commitment, but also makes it harder to dodge them all. Additionally, throwing shuriken in the air gives Haybusa a little bit of height, aiding in recovering.

Hold B ==> Hayabusa readies the windmill shuriken and throws it after a short delay. If he dodges it on the return trip, it can return in his direction once again - working exactly as JameStar envisioned.

The normal shuriken could be used to snuff out enemies approaching from the air (with similarly weak knockback and damage as Megaman's buster shots) or to string together free-form combos much like in the modern Ninja Gaiden series. The windmill shuriken is a more elaborate, but will knock enemies upwards in a combo-friendly manner and can also be useful to cover your approach if you mange to dodge it twice.

Last edited:

jamesster445

Smash Lord
The regular shuriken and the windmill shuriken were considered different items in both series. I wanted to maintain that consistency.

Ideally my windmill would've been fast enough to maintain similar functions that a regular shuriken could.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I support this so much, Hayabusa would be awesome.

Yeld

Smash Rookie
The regular shuriken and the windmill shuriken were considered different items in both series. I wanted to maintain that consistency.

Ideally my windmill would've been fast enough to maintain similar functions that a regular shuriken could.
It would be similar to Samus using either normal or Super Rockets with the same special move, but I understand what you mean.

Would be kinda awesome though if you could launch an enemy, juggle him with shuriken and follow up with a Flying Swallow, as you would in the modern series. :)

Throwing a single shuriken was also used to mix up attacks mid-combo, but I am not sure if that would be a bit too much for Smash.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Ryu Hayabusa is pretty much the last NES era legacy third party and from the last major japanese game company without a stake in Smash.

Come on Sakurai brin on Koei Tecmo and Hyrule warriors into smash!

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Considering how nobody saw Simon coming, and he didn’t seem to have huge demand, I think it bodes well for Ryu, being classic NES brethren with him and Mega Man.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Considering how nobody saw Simon coming, and he didn’t seem to have huge demand, I think it bodes well for Ryu, being classic NES brethren with him and Mega Man.
Simon was wanted since the Brawl days. And he was a popular pick during the ballot days. Sakurai even states in the direct that Simon "finally makes his debut."

Hayabusa would be a great addition to Smash. At this point, I see him more likely as an assist in Ultimate given the fact that he hasn’t been as highly requested, but definitely for the future!
I don't think Nintendo would bother getting rights to a foreign company's character just for an Assist.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Simon was wanted since the Brawl days. And he was a popular pick during the ballot days. Sakurai even states in the direct that Simon "finally makes his debut."

I don't think Nintendo would bother getting rights to a foreign company's character just for an Assist.
There's Shovel Knight, plus they got permission to use CommanderVideo and Rayman only to have them as trophies.

Different circumstances, I know, but it's not unheard of.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Didn't Nintendo publish all of those games in Japan? I sure about Rayman and Shovel Knight but not sure about Commander Video.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
He's probably my new #1 request now that Simon got in, followed closely by Bill Rizer/Lance Bean from Contra and Arthur from Ghosts 'n Goblins.

toonito

Smash Ace
Now that we know all the major third party companies are back into it. (Konami, Sega, Capcom, Bandai Namco, Square Enix)

I can't help but feel out of all these major Japanese gaming companies Tecmo Koei is still not involved, is a glaring shame.

Ryu Hayabusa shares a commonality with a lot of these other third party characters...

Final Fantasy, Pac-Man, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Metal Gear all had their series on the NES and existed during that NES/ Arcade era.
As did Ninja Gaiden!
bolded is the reason i support Hayabusa for Smash....the precedent is already there with Cloud repping FF as a whole despite minimal relationship w/ Nintendo

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
bolded is the reason i support Hayabusa for Smash....the precedent is already there with Cloud repping FF as a whole despite minimal relationship w/ Nintendo
That's not even a needed precedent for Hayabusa. His first 3 games were on the NES. The Ninja Gaiden series was huge on that system.

Last edited:
BTW, I just noticed that OP doesn't mention Dead or Alive Dimension having a Metroid stage. :o

Here's a video of the stage with Ryu.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gvlucy0JBkw
Probably following Metroid: Other M which was co-developped by Team Ninja (co developper of most modern Ninja Gaiden games with Tecmo).

Btw, i support this 3rd ninja for smash (would be the coolest one imo).

Yeld

Smash Rookie
Simon is in.
Hayabusa is the only missing part of the NES-glory days now!

Top Bottom