• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

C-G

Smash Journeyman
probably will be both.

I dont think it'd be unlike them at this point to have a smash direct, and it's more likely than a general one. They hyped up 3.0 without giving details so there's that and enough other reasons for there to be a direct.
They need to announce the next dlc character soon too. It might be somewhere random, but it's still more likely in a direct.
We'll still get Smash info via direct.

But it won't be a dedicated Smash direct. At best there'll be 5 minutes of a direct dedicated to Smash while they go on to talk more about Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing

Teeb147

Smash Legend
We'll still get Smash info via direct.

But it won't be a dedicated Smash direct. At best there'll be 5 minutes of a direct dedicated to Smash while they go on to talk more about Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing
We've already had a general nintendo direct. That's why people are saying it's likely to be a smash direct.
I'll let someone else carry if you want to keep it going like that, i dont feel like debating over something that should be speculation.

Last edited:

TrashLad

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7561-8858-3881
probably will be both.

I dont think it'd be unlike them at this point to have a smash direct, and it's more likely than a general one. They hyped up 3.0 without giving details so there's that and enough other reasons for there to be a direct.
They need to announce the next dlc character soon too. It might be somewhere random, but it's still more likely in a direct.
I completely agree with this. There is enough information for them to reveal that could make up a short direct. From what they teased regarding 3.0 there seems to be something big in the works for that update, they could also go into detail about Joker's moveset like they did with some of the Smash 4 DLC and also reveal the character for challenger pack 2 so there is definitely no shortage of things to show off

amageish

Smash Master
Nintendo won't dedicate a direct to Smash bros, they'll prioritize hyping up games they need to sell over ones they've already sold.

The smart money is on March 30-31st for gameplay/full trailer stuff, premiered at Sega FES. Assuming we're getting FeMC mode, they'll lead with the new version of Persona 5 with FeMC in the event, then have Joker Smash Trailer including FeMC near the tail end when the hype slows down. Might also have gameplay stations. As for actual release date, late april still most likely.
I mean, they dedicated 2 Directs to Smash Brothers DLC on the Wii U and that game had a much smaller install base to sell the DLC to.

I'd be very surprised if Nintendo let SEGA reveal Joker's gameplay on their turf. I also would be kind of surprised if we got that much news at the SEGA event, as ATLUS has a concert to reveal things at next month (though I suppose they could save the spin-offs for the concert, while detailing the enhanced P5 at FES)...

C-G

Smash Journeyman
I mean, they dedicated 2 Directs to Smash Brothers DLC on the Wii U and that game had a much smaller install base to sell the DLC to.

I'd be very surprised if Nintendo let SEGA reveal Joker's gameplay on their turf. I also would be kind of surprised if we got that much news at the SEGA event, as ATLUS has a concert to reveal things at next month (though I suppose they could save the spin-offs for the concert, while detailing the enhanced P5 at FES)...
Counterpoint: By the time Smash DLC was coming out, Wii U's poor sales numbers were leading to a slowing down of releases. Cloud dropped 1 year after Smash 4 did in december of 2015. In the time between then and the launch of the Switch on March 3rd 2017, there was Star Fox, Paper Mario, Pokken, Xeno Blade and Mario Tennis. They were prioritizing Smash because there was nothing else going for the Wii U. Most developers had moved on to the Switch games. (And no, I am not counting BotW as a Wii U title. Everyone knows that was a Switch Launch title for a reason.)

Compare that to now, where we have Metroid Prime, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Bayo 3, and of course Pokemon (which I expect will be what takes up the majority of the direct). Especially since Nintendo isn't splitting focus with the 3DS anymore. There's just more people are looking forward to that they're going to want to promote.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Nintendo won't dedicate a direct to Smash bros, they'll prioritize hyping up games they need to sell over ones they've already sold.

The smart money is on March 30-31st for gameplay/full trailer stuff, premiered at Sega FES. Assuming we're getting FeMC mode, they'll lead with the new version of Persona 5 with FeMC in the event, then have Joker Smash Trailer including FeMC near the tail end when the hype slows down. Might also have gameplay stations. As for actual release date, late april still most likely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWM-SCjIuNg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1JERhUoQoU

So, do these two DLC-focused Directs from the Smash 4 days not count in your mind, or...? They would absolutely dedicate a Direct to Smash Ultimate, even though it's already been released.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

They dedicated a mini direct to smash dlc last game. I don't see why they wouldn't now. Especially since there is clearly more to the update than Joker, like the datamined home run contest and stage builder modes. And there's absolutely no way Nintendo will let another company announce smash stuff.

And why would Nintendo not have a smash direct just because they have other games coming out? How much production value do you think a five to ten minute presentation has?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Consider the following: we barely had much in the way of exclusive Nintendo announcements this year, and we're supposed to expect the next Direct to be a general one under these circumstances? At this point it'd basically just be about third parties and/or indies with the amount of scraping the barrel they have to do before E3 happens.

And there's no bleeding way they'd delay the second character announcement any further when the pass is supposed to be finished by February 2020. The first quarter of the year is nearly done.

Last edited:

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Consider the following: we barely had much in the way of exclusive Nintendo announcements this year, and we're supposed to expect the next Direct to be a general one under these circumstances?
Mario Maker 2
Luigi's Mansion 3
Animal Crossing
Fire Emblem Three Houses
POKEMON

These are all dropping this year. There's no way they're dedicating an entire direct to Smash when all of this is on the docket, spring update or not. Each of the listed above is strong enough for Nintendo to dedicate 15+ minutes of time talking about (ok, maybe not Luigi's Mansion). And this is only first party titles we know about.

Also, Regarding the 'They did it for Wii U' thing. In addition to the counterpoint I brought up earlier, don't forget how we learned about Joker in the first place. Nintendo isn't limiting themselves to their own directs anymore, and announcing/showing off Joker at a Persona heavy event a month before his vague release window would be a good timing for wetting the whistles of the general public.

We'll get a small stinger in a general direct of about 4-5 minutes, and a new character trailer, with Joker being covered more indepth by Nintendo at FES.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Mario Maker 2
Luigi's Mansion 3
Animal Crossing
Fire Emblem Three Houses
POKEMON

These are all dropping this year. There's no way they're dedicating an entire direct to Smash when all of this is on the docket, spring update or not. Each of the listed above is strong enough for Nintendo to dedicate 15+ minutes of time talking about (ok, maybe not Luigi's Mansion). And this is only first party titles we know about.

Also, Regarding the 'They did it for Wii U' thing. In addition to the counterpoint I brought up earlier, don't forget how we learned about Joker in the first place. Nintendo isn't limiting themselves to their own directs anymore, and announcing/showing off Joker at a Persona heavy event a month before his vague release window would be a good timing for wetting the whistles of the general public.

We'll get a small stinger in a general direct of about 4-5 minutes, and a new character trailer, with Joker being covered more indepth by Nintendo at FES.
I suggest we move on. This doesnt seem like a worthwhile debate.
just my recommendation.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, there's no way to prove anyone wrong until three weeks later, so you win this round, for now. :glare:

Anyway, Phantom Thieves, what do you think could be in the Nindies? My expectations are rock-bottom, so I'd like to see a bullet hell shmup being shown off in there.

Last edited:

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, there's no way to prove anyone wrong until three weeks later, so you win this round, for now. :glare:

Anyway, Phantom Thieves, what do you think could be in the Nindies? My expectations are rock-bottom, so I'd like to see a bullet hell shmup being shown off in there.
I hope we get a release date for that untitled goose game.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Mario Maker 2
Luigi's Mansion 3
Animal Crossing
Fire Emblem Three Houses
POKEMON

Listen, I ain't sayin' a Smash Direct is guaranteed, but I AM sayin' that it's not completely impossible like you're trying to make it out to be. To counter your point, they could easily save more news for all of those until E3 (Mario Maker 2 possibly excluded, since it comes out the same month as E3). And while they may have announced Joker during an event not sanctioned by them, that doesn't mean much. Sure, they could talk about Joker during Sega FES, as there's precedent for such a thing now, but they could just as easily talk about him on their own terms, since there's more than enough precedent for that too.

Nothing's impossible, and sitting here saying "there's absolutely no way this is happening" is a fool's errand.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

well, i dont think it would be about winning or losing in the first place :p
There's more stuff i could say about the infrequency of general directs (and pattern over the last years), but it just seems like the tone of the talk doesnt bring much.

I'm not expecting much at all at the nindies except indie games :) Which is good enough for me. 30 mins is quite a bit of time for it, so i wonder what they have in store.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
well, i dont think it would be about winning or losing in the first place :p
There's more stuff i could say about the infrequency of general directs, but it just seems like the tone of the talk doesnt bring much.

I'm not expecting much at all at the nindies except indie games :) Which is good enough for me. 30 mins is quite a bit of time for it, so i wonder what they have in store.
Well for some reason some folks that came in this thread recently absolutely want to be right about something. Is that what character confirmation does to a character support thread these days?

You know, it's too bad not everyone is easy to please like you, that'd make things less complicated overall. :ohwell: C'est la vie, I suppose.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well for some reason some folks that came in this thread recently absolutely want to be right about something. Is that what character confirmation does to a character support thread these days?

You know, it's too bad not everyone is easy to please like you, that'd make things less complicated overall. :ohwell: C'est la vie, I suppose.
I'm easy to please? I dunno I feel like im pretty complicated sometimes. XD
I think sometimes people project certain emotions into whatever outlet they have. So say someone's dealing with something internally and they feel like they need to be right about something, it can end up going into something they happen to do or want to talk about. And it aint always good because it muddens the talk and isn't a good outlet too. I dont have the answer to that kind of stuff, but I guess I still try to find ways to handle things if there's better ways.

Maybe sometimes it's better to just let 'em hash it out and I'm actually the one out of line, so that's why i dont want to impose either. And, cest la vie, + live and learn, basically :p

I do notice some stuff sometimes. Including differences in threads. This one is pretty chill but then you have a few exceptions. it's kinda interesting.
Kinda unrelated, but I'm not as big of a persona fan as i am of dragon quest, but i really like a lot of stuff including how many personas there are, and being able to fuse and everything. It reminds me a bit of dragon quest monsters because you can fuse monsters to transfer skills. It's one thing i like about both.

Last edited:

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Nothing's impossible, and sitting here saying "there's absolutely no way this is happening" is a fool's errand.
If you don't mind, I'd like to be personal for a minute.

I admit I fight hard for what I believe, but I'm open to being wrong if someone is able to convince me. I may not believe in what everyone is saying about the direct but I'm not going to call their beliefs out as 'fool's errands'. I got a dissenting opinion that I stand behind, but there's no need to belittle it or make it personal in a similar manner. That's how things can start turning ugly.

Yes this is also me making it personal about myself and I'll take full responsibility for any escalation that comes from this post. And I will also accept any perceived notions about my caused by my actions (as that is a failure on my part to communicate effectively). But I want to be clear about where I stand in regards to talking about things like this. I WILL keep a conversation going if I think there is more room to express my point and I WILL abandon a conversation if I think we start running in circles or we reach an impasse. And as much as being right is enjoyable, it's not an end-all be all. Debate is a great way to express passion (as I like to do), but it's incredibly easy to misinterpret intent and tone and thus create hostile exchanges and I've come to accept this as a price of doing online.

Just trying to be transparent and avoiding conflict based on miscommunication in the future. If you want to reply to this specifically, feel free to PM me, but I won't hash out anything personal in a public thread. That would just be selfish.

Thank you for understanding.

With that out of the way, what do you think the gap will be between gameplay footage and availability? At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they do it day-of like with......I wanna say Ryu? Mewtwo?

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
With that out of the way, what do you think the gap will be between gameplay footage and availability? At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they do it day-of like with......I wanna say Ryu? Mewtwo?
Depends on when they talk more about him. If it's sometime this month, like we've been speculating, then maybe a couple weeks at most. If they talk about him in April, then I could see a "day of" release.

Also, Mewtwo wasn't released day of (revealed October 23rd, released April 28th). But Ryu and Roy were.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

I admit I fight hard for what I believe, but I'm open to being wrong if someone is able to convince me. I may not believe in what everyone is saying about the direct but I'm not going to call their beliefs out as 'fool's errands'. I got a dissenting opinion that I stand behind, but there's no need to belittle it or make it personal in a similar manner. That's how things can start turning ugly.

Yes this is also me making it personal about myself and I'll take full responsibility for any escalation that comes from this post. And I will also accept any perceived notions about my caused by my actions (as that is a failure on my part to communicate effectively). But I want to be clear about where I stand in regards to talking about things like this. I WILL keep a conversation going if I think there is more room to express my point and I WILL abandon a conversation if I think we start running in circles or we reach an impasse. And as much as being right is enjoyable, it's not an end-all be all. Debate is a great way to express passion (as I like to do), but it's incredibly easy to misinterpret intent and tone and thus create hostile exchanges and I've come to accept this as a price of doing online.

Just trying to be transparent and avoiding conflict based on miscommunication in the future. If you want to reply to this specifically, feel free to PM me, but I won't hash out anything personal in a public thread. That would just be selfish.

Yeah, I agree. I think they'll drop Joker right after the announcement. And that was Ryu, Roy, and Lucas.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Yeah, I agree. I think they'll drop Joker right after the announcement. And that was Ryu, Roy, and Lucas.
The only characters out of those two released the day of their announcement were Roy and Ryu. All three characters were released on June 14th, but Lucas had been announced a couple months prior on April 1st.

Fun fact, also: Roy and Ryu are the ONLY DLC characters in Smash (so far, who knows what Ultimate holds) who were released the same day they were announced.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The only characters out of those two released the day of their announcement were Roy and Ryu. All three characters were released on June 14th, but Lucas had been announced a couple months prior on April 1st.

Fun fact, also: Roy and Ryu are the ONLY DLC characters in Smash (so far, who knows what Ultimate holds) who were released the same day they were announced.
Yeah, I could see that happen again, especially given how the Feb. 2020 deadline is getting ever closer, so I don't see any more cases like Joker being teased for months.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

Lucas was announced before, but got no release date. Then they had the direct and were like "available today!". So it's pretty much the same position Joker would be in if they drop him after the announcement.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
How many of you think Joker's already the hottest character Smash is ever gonna get?
I don't know, there is some pretty stiff competition from the rest of the cast. I don't think we can adequately judge until we see Joker in game. After all, we saw what Ultimate could do to attractive characters. Never forget the tragic loss of Snakes most pronounced feature...

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Interesting. I appreciate you sharing your principles.

In my experience, going with certain tones of fighting hard often goes hand in hand with not able to be convinced. The mind just keeps finding reasons and excuses as to why the belief is right, overlooking everything that goes against it.

At some points, debates become slug fests and the point of speculation and sharing ideas becomes lost. We certainly dont know the truth, and we can base ourselves on some things, though we'll find out soon anyway in this case. It'd be much easier to give your predictions and stop there rather than taking them on as beliefs. We may have leanings based on our past experiences, but to make a prediction into a conviction that you'd even try to push or convince others is ... well only you can know why it matters to you that much. To me it feels like a compulsive belief.

Beliefs themselves can be imposing sometimes. It's like saying that something is the truth and everyone else's thoughts on it can't be right.
The tone of how we share our thoughts, and even beliefs, can make a big difference with that.

The question is, why is it so important for you to express your point so long as there's room to do so? And does the point need to be shared in an adamantly assertive way? (if so, then why, and if not, then s'all good ;))

My own prediction is that there'll be a small bit of persona-related info on the 23rd, like tidbits of the new games coming, then a much bigger part at Sega Fes, including more info on p5r (and hopefully the details on what'll be new :)), and then the first week of april will have a smash-focused direct in which we'll see 3.0 details, joker gameplay details, and possibly the next dlc reveal (I feel a tad iffy on it tho for whatever reason).

It could easily be different than that, but it's just my thoughts on it. I guess I could bet 15$ fictional dollars on it :p

Last edited:

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
I'm thinking info on the 23rd is pretty likely seeing as they made the announcement of it after the previous special. But either way, we'll be getting news soon.

amageish

Smash Master
I don't know, but I'm interested. It's especially abnormal as both NoA and NoE tweeted about it. Generally nindie directs are region-specific, and while this one is American-focused, Europe promoting it as well is abnormal... That said, it's possible that Nintendo has just realized that doing region-specific things when the internet is worldwide is going to just cause confusion...

For my general predictions, I think I've said this before, but I would predict we'll get a teaser trailer for P5R on the 23rd for people on the internet to do a frame-by-frame analysis of, a ~3 minute proper trailer at FES, then a full "Okay, here's the game plus the planned spin-offs for 2019" at the concert. For Smash, we get a Smash Mini-Direct in either last week of March or first couple weeks of April to detail Joker, the 3.0 update, and challenger pack two.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._has_sent_animal_crossing_fans_into_overdrive

So, now it's assumed the main Direct could be on the 15th. Godammit...
That seems like quite a stretch to me. It'll be the 15th because it's US tax day, and because Reggie is retiring on that day? I wouldn't count on it. A Direct could happen on the 15th, but I find myself doubting that Nintendo thought, "Ah, it's tax day in the US! Perfect time for a Direct!" Just seems like a fun Tweet to me.

lukinator1

Smash Apprentice
That seems like quite a stretch to me. It'll be the 15th because it's US tax day, and because Reggie is retiring on that day? I wouldn't count on it. A Direct could happen on the 15th, but I find myself doubting that Nintendo thought, "Ah, it's tax day in the US! Perfect time for a Direct!" Just seems like a fun Tweet to me.
i think reggie + animal crossing anniversary being on the day before are moreso reasons for it to be on the 15th than the tax day thing

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
What would animal crossing have to do with a smash direct? I doubt we'll see that until E3. I'm still thinking the 9th looks good.
Ehhh. This feels like it's just saying that Tom Nook wants you to spend your tax rebate on buying a Nintendo Switch, not that it'll be a direct.
Yeah, I guess it may just not mean anything. The thing is that I don't want the Direct to happen outside of my planned week-off from work, I have no idea which time of the day it'll air at..

Goose game is still delayed though, that is the truth.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Yeah, I guess it may just not mean anything. The thing is that I don't want the Direct to happen outside of my planned week-off from work, I have no idea which time of the day it'll air at..

Goose game is still delayed though, that is the truth.
Your week off is the week of the 9th right? If so I think you're in a good spot. Second week of April seems like a very likely time for the direct.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Ehhh. This feels like it's just saying that Tom Nook wants you to spend your tax rebate on buying a Nintendo Switch, not that it'll be a direct.
Or there might just be some post on that day about animal crossing.
Maybe there'll be a tribute to reggie too somehow. Not necessarily related to AC :p

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Your week off is the week of the 9th right? If so I think you're in a good spot. Second week of April seems like a very likely time for the direct.
Yeah, that is correct.

Also, on a different note, how likely is it that we might get spirits for the Persona 1/2 cast? Smash seems fair enough for a cameo appearance, seeing as ATLUS hasn't used them at all since the remakes.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
For those of you wondering "hey what gives, how does this tweet with Tom Nook imply anything new is happening", I've heard that the render of Tom Nook used in that tweet is brand new.

I dunno if that's true, but that's why people are speculatin' right now.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah, that is correct.

Also, on a different note, how likely is it that we might get spirits for the Persona 1/2 cast? Smash seems fair enough for a cameo appearance, seeing as ATLUS hasn't used them at all since the remakes.
That's one of the things that'll be interesting to see. Joker' release will really tell us what kind of stuff they might add with the dlc characters (besides the obvious). Setting the precedent.
For those of you wondering "hey what gives, how does this tweet with Tom Nook imply anything new is happening", I've heard that the render of Tom Nook used in that tweet is brand new.

I dunno if that's true, but that's why people are speculatin' right now.
Well there is a new animal crossing game in the works, so there's plenty of stuff they could drop about it.

Top Bottom