• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Hideout of the Phantom Thieves - Joker Social

Best girl?

• Sae

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Futaba

Votes: 91 33.7%
  • Ann

Votes: 26 9.6%
  • Haru

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Kawakami

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • Takemi

• Ohya

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Chiyaya

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Hifumi

• Makoto

Votes: 65 24.1%

• Total voters

C-G

Smash Journeyman
The Brawl Pokemon Trainer had a weakness mechanic that everyone hated and was removed for Ultimate. Given its reception, it seems unlikely they'd try to do it again.
I'm aware of the weakness mechanic in Brawl. But it has nothing related to Persona Weak Points. So I am confused.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Nosferatu is usable, but not nearly strong enough to require a recharge period as a limiter. And for a recovery to go away for a period of time is absolutely awful. It should have to be the best recovery in the game for that. I don't want to deal with that with Joker. I think they should be outrageously strong like the Levin sword if they require SP. But even if they are, I don't want to deal with losing my recovery.
Robin's recovery is actually so much better in ultimate. And you can mix up by going away from the stage and then in.
Nosforatu isn't quite as good as bowser's command grab, i find it has a bit too much lag after it, but well timed it's actually a great move and you can survive longer thanks to it. I dont think it warrants charges, but I think it's useful to use it just to throw the book too :p

I've only run out of wind magic once up to now, so it's alright so long as you dont overuse it. I'm not saying it's justified, just that it's not that bad. And I agree levin sword is really the only one that's fully justified. Tho i dont know why they decided not to give it at the start of battle.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
I'm aware of the weakness mechanic in Brawl. But it has nothing related to Persona Weak Points. So I am confused.
Persona weak points are also based off of elemental weakness, so one imagines they wouldn't try to use them in Smash given how they failed with Pokemon.

I suppose Persona weaknesses also knock the player down, but I really doubt they would include a mechanic wherein other players can just knock Joker off the stage based on what elemental attack they use?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Persona weak points are also based off of elemental weakness, so one imagines they wouldn't try to use them in Smash given how they failed with Pokemon.

I suppose Persona weaknesses also knock the player down, but I really doubt they would include a mechanic wherein other players can just knock Joker off the stage based on what elemental attack they use?
I could imagine a move being able to trip, but other than that, how would you include weaknesses in a way that's different?

C-G

Smash Journeyman

I could imagine a move being able to trip, but other than that, how would you include weaknesses in a way that's different?
First off, it wouldn't be a weakness Joker would have. That's super dumb. It'd be an offensive tool.

Second, I do not support the idea of multiple Persona, but if he had them, it'd give him access to different elements that he could use. You use different moves to scope out the Weak Point, and if you land it, it causes a crumple state that can open up for a Smash attack (causes Helpless if hit in the air). Anything past that would be up to balance testing

Teeb147

Smash Legend
First off, it wouldn't be a weakness Joker would have. That's super dumb. It'd be an offensive tool.

Second, I do not support the idea of multiple Persona, but if he had them, it'd give him access to different elements that he could use. You use different moves to scope out the Weak Point, and if you land it, it causes a crumple state that can open up for a Smash attack (causes Helpless if hit in the air). Anything past that would be up to balance testing
Ok. It's very unlikely that they'd add a random (hidden?) weakness to characters, but that's not a bad concept for some mechanic.

Another thing could be that some skills like magic could sometimes have a tripping effect that would have a signature persona-esque effect to it like hitting weakpoints. (and maybe being able to follow up on it somehow like an all-out attack).

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Ok. It's very unlikely that they'd add a random (hidden?) weakness to characters, but that's not a bad concept for some mechanic.

Another thing could be that some skills like magic could sometimes have a tripping effect that would have a signature persona-esque effect to it like hitting weakpoints. (and maybe being able to follow up on it somehow like an all-out attack).
It wouldn't be something they actually add to the characters. In reality, it's a buff that is randomly assigned to Joker. When he triggers it, it gets shuffled around again.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Question, what do you think are the chances that Joker will have his gun?
I want to say pretty high, but I'm not sure. The gun would make sense, and other characters have fairly realistic firearms, but Sakurai has gone on record saying he does not want realistic guns in smash. Joker's gun is technically just a model gun, not even airsoft or Nerf, but it's designed to look super realistic. That said, some of his gun choices look pretty far from a real gun. I seem to remember one that kind of looks like the rage blaster. So maybe that will fix the problem.

D

Deleted member

I say about 50/50.
On one hand, it's iconic for Joker to use a gun as it has been seen in a lot of promotional art (some might argue that it's his preferred weapon).
On the other hand, Sakurai mentioned that he doesn't want Snake to use realistic firearms, which I think will be applied to Joker even with P5's lore in mind.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It wouldn't be something they actually add to the characters. In reality, it's a buff that is randomly assigned to Joker. When he triggers it, it gets shuffled around again.
I see. well you managed to find a way that it could work in a way. I do have some concerns with that, one being that it seems to stray from what weaknesses really are, and the other is that there's probably only 3 skills it could work with, assuming up-b is mainly for recovery. So you'd only have 3 magic skills to try out for it. But who knows.

I definitely think it'll be in the moveset somewhere, but i have no idea how. I dont picture them using guns for b moves when there's plenty of cool personas and skills :p

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master

That is a cool, albeit complicated idea. Sorry for misunderstanding; I thought you were suggesting a way to nerf him, as we were discussing that with regards to SP meters and Persona break...

It's decently likely, I think. Maybe have him pull it out when using the Final Smash to mimic the Hold Up mechanic (assuming the final Smash is an All-Out Attack).

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
Out of Joker's potential Specials: I think the one I am THE most intrigued of speculating and seeing is his Up+B. I've seen many ideas from him flying with Arsene, using Garu skills (though I worry it would just be a direct copy of Robin's Up+B), or just jumping around all stylish and stuff. The crazy (or shipper lol) in me even imagined implementing Necronimicon though that might also be a copy of Snake's Up+B lol.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yep! I mean, one assumes only one of them is a Persona 5 enhanced version, with the other 4 being either project plans or spin-off titles. But that does imply we're getting some more spin-offs beyond Persona 5 Arena - so you can probably come up with any genre and there is a non-zero chance we're getting a spin-off in it.

Can't wait for the Persona 5 F2P MOBA, which includes all of the characters from every Persona game (even including 1/2 when they run out of characters) fighting in a dreamlike pocket-dimension beyond time and space over which Velvet Room attendant has the best chocolate chip cookie recipe!
Personally, I'll/I'd look forward to the bullet hell shoot em up that has everyone fly in the skies to bomb demons. It would make more sense than KOF Sky Stage.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Out of Joker's potential Specials: I think the one I am THE most intrigued of speculating and seeing is his Up+B. I've seen many ideas from him flying with Arsene, using Garu skills (though I worry it would just be a direct copy of Robin's Up+B), or just jumping around all stylish and stuff. The crazy (or shipper lol) in me even imagined implementing Necronimicon though that might also be a copy of Snake's Up+B lol.
Necronomicon helping him is a fairly adorable idea, though I dunno if Sakurai would risk entering the waifu war like that haha.

I just want it to be something loosely related to Joker's actual skills and not just "He can grow Arsene's wings now!"

Personally, I'll/I'd look forward to the bullet hell shoot em up that has everyone fly in the skies to bomb demons. It would make more sense than KOF Sky Stage.
Every once in a while a series has a spin-off weirder then Persona does...

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Necronomicon helping him is a fairly adorable idea, though I dunno if Sakurai would risk entering the waifu war like that haha.

I just want it to be something loosely related to Joker's actual skills and not just "He can grow Arsene's wings now!"

Every once in a while a series has a spin-off weirder then Persona does...
Quick, let's find out Sakurai's taste in waifu! A while back I saw some people claim that he chose Futaba, but I saw no proof of it anywhere.

I don't think we have to worry about that. Sakurai stays pretty on point with the third party characters and only really starts making new moves when there is a lack of sources for such(Like if you were confined into a car the whole time or are a real life toy that was made to sell consoles, that sort of thing), which Joker is not a victim of.

lukinator1

Smash Apprentice
i don't know if they'll give him it or not but i hope they do, even the bullet effects in the original persona 5 were made to look pretty cartoonish and they can create a smash bros. original gun for him if they think the design is too realistic

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
While Futaba showing up would be the greatest thing ever, I think the idea I've heard that I like the most is the "thief dash".

You know how Joker clips to different patches of cover when dashing in stealth mode? The idea is he does that dash and clips on to the stage. If he's in range of course. And if he uses it on the stage it works like a command grab. He clips to the nearest opponent and does the take of the mask thing into a throw. So basically like the ambush dash. I forget who posted it but I really love the idea.

amageish

Smash Master
Quick, let's find out Sakurai's taste in waifu! A while back I saw some people claim that he chose Futaba, but I saw no proof of it anywhere.
I don't think he's said that? Weirdly, he wasn't asked about who he romanced during the ATLUS interview he had after Joker's reveal... He did say his favourite character was Yusuke though.

While Futaba showing up would be the greatest thing ever, I think the idea I've heard that I like the most is the "thief dash".

You know how Joker clips to different patches of cover when dashing in stealth mode? The idea is he does that dash and clips on to the stage. If he's in range of course. And if he uses it on the stage it works like a command grab. He clips to the nearest opponent and does the take of the mask thing into a throw. So basically like the ambush dash. I forget who posted it but I really love the idea.
It's entirely possible she'll turn up somewhere, even if not in that part... I'm hoping they find some way to work everyone into the Final Smash, though I also don't want it to be impractically long...

Ooo! I like it a lot! I also recall hearing that a while ago, though also don't recall who it was that said it.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I don't think he's said that? Weirdly, he wasn't asked about who he romanced during the ATLUS interview he had after Joker's reveal... He did say his favourite character was Yusuke though.

It's entirely possible she'll turn up somewhere, even if not in that part... I'm hoping they find some way to work everyone into the Final Smash, though I also don't want it to be impractically long...

Ooo! I like it a lot! I also recall hearing that a while ago, though also don't recall who it was that said it.
I've posted it a couple of times before. It was first suggested back when Joker was announced, but I can't find the original poster. And no one has taken credit for it so I just preface it with "I forget who posted it".

D

Deleted member

I've posted it a couple of times before. It was first suggested back when Joker was announced, but I can't find the original poster. And no one has taken credit for it so I just preface it with "I forget who posted it".
Although I can't take credit for it during his announcement, I did mention his side special would be a command grab way before Joker was announced.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
i don't know if they'll give him it or not but i hope they do, even the bullet effects in the original persona 5 were made to look pretty cartoonish and they can create a smash bros. original gun for him if they think the design is too realistic
As long as it's not just Tron aesthetics. :ultzss:

I'll be satisfied if Ann is somewhere in it.

FamicomDisk

Smash Journeyman
Funnily enough, that actually ended up being a mistranslation - he said that he'd managed to max out every Social Link except Yusuke, and said his favorite character was "everyone". :p

(Also, hey everyone! Haven't posted here in a while! I'm just as excited as all of you, I've just been reading the thread silently for a while. ;) )

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Nindies on Wednesday. Non nindies almost always happen 2 weeks after a nindies. Last time was the only exception, where it was 3 weeks after. Smash direct on April 3 or 10?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Nindies on Wednesday. Non nindies almost always happen 2 weeks after a nindies. Last time was the only exception, where it was 3 weeks after. Smash direct on April 3 or 10?
An early smash direct makes sense to show off joker and 3.0, so I'd bet sometime in the first week of april

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, Nindies may be bunk, but that's one good thing they bring, at least. I hope it's the 10th, I'm off from work that week!

Funnily enough, that actually ended up being a mistranslation - he said that he'd managed to max out every Social Link except Yusuke, and said his favorite character was "everyone". :p

(Also, hey everyone! Haven't posted here in a while! I'm just as excited as all of you, I've just been reading the thread silently for a while. ;) )
Nice, nobody's left out!

But man, I sure wish one of those pro fansub translators translated these interviews instead, crucial details keep being misinterpreted.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'm thinking the 9th is actually looking pretty likely. If they're doing the direct that week anyway they might as well line it up with the P5 calendar.

amageish

Smash Master

Oooh! Interesting (and very non-committal) answer!

(Also hi!)

You know, since Sak likes the cast equally, I wonder whether they'll get swapped out every so often for an All-Out FS.~
The Final Smash is "The Power of Bonds" and every single confidant in the game cameos somehow... /s

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I'd be lying to myself if i didn't say that is the fanciest looking Joker i've ever seen. :eek:
It's just showcasing the clothing under his coat. Joker is no less fancy in this art than he(Or possibly she in this case) was in game. Still amazing art though.

C-G

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo won't dedicate a direct to Smash bros, they'll prioritize hyping up games they need to sell over ones they've already sold.

The smart money is on March 30-31st for gameplay/full trailer stuff, premiered at Sega FES. Assuming we're getting FeMC mode, they'll lead with the new version of Persona 5 with FeMC in the event, then have Joker Smash Trailer including FeMC near the tail end when the hype slows down. Might also have gameplay stations. As for actual release date, late april still most likely.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Nintendo won't dedicate a direct to Smash bros, they'll prioritize hyping up games they need to sell over ones they've already sold.

The smart money is on March 30-31st for gameplay/full trailer stuff, premiered at Sega FES. Assuming we're getting FeMC mode, they'll lead with the new version of Persona 5 with FeMC in the event, then have Joker Smash Trailer including FeMC near the tail end when the hype slows down. Might also have gameplay stations.
probably will be both.

I dont think it'd be unlike them at this point to have a smash direct, and it's more likely than a general one. They hyped up 3.0 without giving details so there's that and enough other reasons for there to be a direct.
They need to announce the next dlc character soon too. It might be somewhere random, but it's still more likely in a direct.

Last edited:
Top Bottom