• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jaystring's mod thread

Shren

Smash Journeyman
Infinite costumes!? never heard of that. sounds too awesome to be true!
I know. I can't wait for it to be a thing... even though things are pointing to a Brawl EX thing... (just imagine if it isn't and would be tourney viable)

Last edited:

jaystring

Smash Ace
I know. I can't wait for it to be a thing... even though things are pointing to a Brawl EX thing... (just imagine if it isn't and would be tourney viable)
I'm hoping it's not BrawlEx.

because if it's the LXP way, then it's not really "infinite". it takes up potential character slots.

+ it makes the build more unstable with the clone vs regular character crashes still unfixed.

The LXP way is great to have 2 similar but different characters on 1 slot. not so much for just costumes.

jaystring

Smash Ace
How about a twilight Princess costume for Hyrule Warrior Ganondorf!

(Don't mind the hole in the model, will get fix!)

This is not actually the exact HW twilight model, it's the Brawl model mixed with HW model

There was no point in importing the exact TP HW costume since they did exactly that : take the HW head and stick it on the Wii twilight princess model (and make the texture super dark and uglier for some reason)

Using the Brawl model saved me time on rigging and texture (since it's already ajusted to Brawl!)

and by the way, the official OOT HW costume is even worse. they stick a super high res head on a 3ds low res model...

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
That Ganondorf face looks even better than in Sm4sh, and i don't have anything against Sm4sh Ganon.

And yeah the OoT costumes in Hyrule Warriors are kinda ugly, they just reused the models from the 3DS remake, they looked fine for said game but not for HW, sadly the closest thing to an official "HD" OoT adult Link is HW Fierce Deity. (I guess Ocarina's Link amiibo is cool too, but that's not a model)

Heavy D88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HeavyD1488
3DS FC
1719-3686-1030
There is a slight difference in the HW TP model than the Brawl one. Gauntlets are longer, and the shoulder pads are fully modeled instead of being flat. Other than that though, they're pretty similar. He looks good by the way.

Oh, speaking of Smash U Ganon. You think you might be able to stick the HW head on the Smash U body like you did here? I'm only asking cause it would make him easier to import to Smash U with a better head. Just a thought.

Last edited:

jaystring

Smash Ace
That Ganondorf face looks even better than in Sm4sh, and i don't have anything against Sm4sh Ganon.

And yeah the OoT costumes in Hyrule Warriors are kinda ugly, they just reused the models from the 3DS remake, they looked fine for said game but not for HW, sadly the closest thing to an official "HD" OoT adult Link is HW Fierce Deity. (I guess Ocarina's Link amiibo is cool too, but that's not a model)
In my opinion, the smash 4 face for Ganondorf was horrible lol. One of the ugliest modern model for Ganondorf. Not sure how it made it to the final game honestly.. Link also looks pretty bad. it's a shame because his main art (which is the smash4 CSP) looks really good. They really didn't translated it well to 3D.

The Project M OOT Link is probably my favorite model of Link from the ocarina era.

There is a slight difference in the HW TP model than the Brawl one. Gauntlets are longer, and the shoulder pads are fully modeled instead of being flat. Other than that though, they're pretty similar. He looks good by the way.

Oh, speaking of Smash U Ganon. You think you might be able to stick the HW head on the Smash U body like you did here? I'm only asking cause it would make him easier to import to Smash U with a better head. Just a thought.
Yeah there is small details difference from the Brawl/Twilight model to the HW one. but it's pretty minor. You can tell it's still the same model from it's original game with slight edit

The gauntlets have to be much smaller for all HW ganondorf port to Brawl. That's because of his Brawl Squeletton. He's much more bulkier in HW and has longer arms. They had to be resize for PM. Same thing happened with the official HW costume. his gauntlet are a lot smaller then they are on the original model.

About the smash4 body, it would actually be much better for smash4 modder to take my head and fit it to their project instead of the contrary. Since the smash4 body will already be rigged to the smash4 squeletton, they only have the job of rigging the head (which is very very simple as most of the head is rigged to 1 bone minus the neck)

I have never compared the Ganondorf Brawl squeletton with the one from smash4 but looking at both model's proportions, I think they probably are very very similar so starting from my Brawl mod to bring it to smash4 should be quite easy.

Heavy D88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HeavyD1488
3DS FC
1719-3686-1030
I'm sure it would... but the person doesn't like making faces for him. But that's always been a thing. Oh well. I'll ask them and see what they think about doing that.

jaystring

Smash Ace
I'm sure it would... but the person doesn't like making faces for him. But that's always been a thing. Oh well. I'll ask them and see what they think about doing that.
I'm not sure I understand the issue, He's should be able to use my head exactly as it is. he just need to place it over the Smash4 body (and maybe slightly edit the vertex around the neck to match it correctly).

The head even have it's own splitted texture so he's not gonna have to change anything on the UVs etc.

He can even use all facial expression I modeled already as is too. (there's 5 or 6 I think for Ganondorf)

since Ganondorf is using facemorph, in Brawlbox, they are not normal 3d object that you can export, they are hidden inside the "vertex" folder.

but to export them, what I usually do is preview the model with a fitmotion, find an animation that actually change the facial expression, modifie the facial morph slider to put it to max on 1 facial expression and temporarely save it like that so I can export the mesh with the facial expression "baked" on it.

That's how I got them from Brawl Ganondorf to 3dsmax to then mimic them manually for HW ganon.

but whatever he does, he's gonna have to do the missing facial expression no matter what. Smash 4 have like 15 facial expressions for each characters while brawl have 5-6.

Heavy D88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HeavyD1488
3DS FC
1719-3686-1030
That's what I meant. Since Smash U has so many more, and the eyes and mouth are separate. If he's not super God damned lazy, I'll see if he'd be willing to ask. But I've done this before and he didn't want to himself. >__>

jaystring

Smash Ace
more default HW Ganondorf update

This time is more texture tweak.

I polished the spec map + reajusted all the texture colors to mimic the Hyrule Warrior in-game material better

essentially most of the model was too bright before so made it darker and made the golden part shine more so they stand out more like the HW shaders

I might rework some details in the texture but in terms of color balance, it's pretty close to final for the default costume

Here's the real HW in-game look for comparaison

D

Deleted member

How are you doing with HW Sheik?
I believe he works on them one at a time (which makes sense) so I don't think he's gotten to that yet. I'm still hoping for the one day he has the time in his schedule to work on Smash 4 Zelda myself.

jaystring

Smash Ace
How are you doing with HW Sheik?
I'm doing them 1 at the time for HW mods, so right now, only HW Ganondorf is in progress and no one else from HW.

That been said, I do have plans for more HW characters. Once I'm done with Ganondorf, I'll start the next one.

Keep in mind that importing HW characters require tons for work compare to Smash4 model

I could do a full smash4 export in 1-2 week (if concentrated on only doing this mod) but HW model take more like 1-2 months to do (if concentrated on only doing this mod) because of many things (reducing polycount a big reason why it's soo long. I also have to do all facial animation by hand (smash4 are all premade for me to reuse), I also have to do most of the skinning from scratch (smash4 skinning can be copy pasted to a brawl squeletton and be somewhat already fine with very little work)

I'm also never concentrated on only doing 1 mod so yeah...

but well, the good new for you is that sheik is high on the list so yeah, someday i'll port her.

I believe he works on them one at a time (which makes sense) so I don't think he's gotten to that yet. I'm still hoping for the one day he has the time in his schedule to work on Smash 4 Zelda myself.
as a matter of fact, Smash4 Zelda is already rigged to Brawl Zelda. She should be potentially already working in-game . She still need to be polish and optimized, facial integrated, texture work and CSP so I would say she was half done.

I showcased her a while back.

Here's she is in Brawlbox skinned to zelda! (triangle count and numnodes are way to high, will need optim)

D

Deleted member

as a matter of fact, Smash4 Zelda is already rigged to Brawl Zelda. She should be potentially already working in-game . She still need to be polish and optimized, facial integrated, texture work and CSP so I would say she was half done.

I showcased her a while back.

Here's she is in Brawlbox skinned to zelda! (triangle count and numnodes are way to high, will need optim)

Oh ****, dude! This has made me super happy! Haha glad she's at least half done. :D Keep up the fantastic work.

jaystring

Smash Ace
Small 3dsmax tease of HW OOT Ganondorf tonight

This is going to be the last costume for HW Ganondorf before recolors, CSP, bug fix and release etc etc

I won't be importing the real HW Ocarina of Time Ganondorf. It doesn't look good enought to me.

Instead, my version is going to be a custom edit from the HW one with PM's model.

Here's what I did to it :

1) made the PM body and HW OOT head model fit together
2) re-arranged and polished the hair model (will also polish the material to give it a XLU material, making the transparency look better then the PM model, even if it uses the same textures)
3) on the OOT HW head model, rearranged the beard/sideburn model so that it looks like actual OOT sideburn and not a patch of beard that HW Ganondorf forgot to shave.
4) made his nose longer and gave him his "creepy smile" default look to mimic the OOT PM model (only the OOT costume will get this edit)

Here's how he looks today :

ThatsBullocks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BullockDS
Oh holy crap that looks amazing. HW Ganon was amazing enough. TP HW Ganon is a great bonus. A HW Melee Ganon just makes this all superb. (Though, small question: will you consider making this Melee Ganon's ears round like in OoT/Melee? They seem a bit too pointed still.)

jaystring

Smash Ace
Oh holy crap that looks amazing. HW Ganon was amazing enough. TP HW Ganon is a great bonus. A HW Melee Ganon just makes this all superb. (Though, small question: will you consider making this Melee Ganon's ears round like in OoT/Melee? They seem a bit too pointed still.)
yeah sure, I'll tweak it for the OOT costume.

I didn't even noticed before really that they made Ganondorf an Elf in Hyrule Warrior.

Edit : BTW if you find other inconsistency like these, feel free to point them out!

I'll probably be making 2 additionnal version of OOT Ganondorf, the young period version and the adult period version

The young period version doesn't have a long cape and the adult period version have long hairs and red cape.

Last edited:

ThatsBullocks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BullockDS
As far as I know, OoT/Melee Ganon is the only time he's shown with round ears; Wind Waker gave him back pointed ears and that seems to have stuck ever since.

Heavy D88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HeavyD1488
3DS FC
1719-3686-1030
Well everyone else in the series has em. Would be a little odd for him to be the only one without the pointy ears.

ThatsBullocks

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BullockDS
Well everyone else in the series has em. Would be a little odd for him to be the only one without the pointy ears.
In OoT, he wasn't the only one. All the Gerudos were round-eared.

Plus, plenty of round-ear humans exist in Wind Waker and Twilight Princess.

And all the humanoid characters aside from Link, Zelda, Impa, and the Oracles have round ears in Link's Awakening and the Oracle games.

Come to think of it, Skyward Sword was the first game in some time to lack any round-ear human(oid) races.

(sorry for the nerd-out)

:p

Last edited:

jaystring

Smash Ace
You guy are like Zelda ears expert!

Since the official concepts for OOT had Ganondorf with very obvious round ears, I ajusted the model for him to have round ears.

All the other one will get the pointy ears.

I've started the end game long hair version (sorry, can't show you since Imgur is STILL not fix)(it's related to my ISP, nothing I can do about it except following the thread about it that barely got updated since august...)

I'm also going to add/tweak some details on the PM model taken from the concept art that are missing etc.

jaystring

Smash Ace
Is it a burden being this talented?
hum no I don't find any of it to be a burden. I'm not forced to do any of those mod, modifications, model/texture upgrade etc.

It would become a burden if I'm forced to do it but that's it.

I choose to do them because I find it fun to do and/or I think I can make the project better.

The satisfaction of seeing one of my project finished working in-game makes it enough fun for me to continue.

There's not much else to it really. This is a hobby just as much as someone playing music or drawing or painting etc.

jaystring

Smash Ace
I've been a bit busy lately so not super active on my part but I still manage to get some stuff done :

1) First, here's a 3dsmax preview of OOT Adult Link period Ganondorf (the end game look). He's got long hair and red cape. There's also going to be a young link look (basically the same as the Melee look except with a tiny cape)

2) Here's the OOT costume first look in-game. It's my first import test, It's not finished at all. I want to tweak the textures a little bit. The blacks are a bit too grey. ( I know black should never be full black in games but it's still not black enought I think)

3) Here's the Wii version of HW Default costume. i'm quite happy with it honestly because it's has a pretty good resolution texture and is fully featured (no half facial expression cut or stuff like that. It has the same feature as the dolphin version)

The big difference between both is

1) texture resolution is lower (well, it's actually higher then the dolphin version but the dolphin version is design to be used with HD textures only)

2) I manage to cut an additional 4000 triangles on the model (mostly the hair, beard and forearms)

3) the wii version is getting OPA transparency instead of XLU (so transparency is less good looking)

and finally, here's a WIP group shot!!

BTW, the sword on his back is because I'm using Triforce Ganon PSA. He's not gonna have that on default PM moveset.

jaystring

Smash Ace
OOT HW Ganondorf first costume is done! (young and adult period variant to be done soon)

He's looking pretty good!

Credit to PM team for the body model. I polished it, adjusted it to my needs and fixed some bugs/holes but it's mostly their job

Heavy D88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HeavyD1488
3DS FC
1719-3686-1030
Would be an easier chat method for us to get in contact. Or to share your mods.

jaystring

Smash Ace
Ganondorf update!

I've finished all 3 OOT variants.

1) the default PM model (which looks like Melee Ganondorf)

2) the Young Link era model (no cape, closer to canon look)

3) the adult Link era (end game) model (cape that get attach to front of the body, long hair)

Here they are! :

They'll all get the same recolors so you can use the one you want.

I've also completed the Twilight Model with all it's feature (facial, materials etc etc)

All model are now completed, what's left are the side stuff like sword, trident, recolors, CSP.

and maaybe exploring if Hyrule Warrior Ganon Final smash could be a possibility :) (if I do it, it's gonna take some weeks of work just to optimize the model so maybe it's better to release it as an update)

BTW, for people wondering what's up with Cloud.

I'm waiting for progress from the PSA. I'll need to redo some stuff to reduce filesize for the PSA so I was waiting for it to be done to ajust my work with it.

Heavy D88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HeavyD1488
3DS FC
1719-3686-1030
Eagerly awaiting this release. I need to replace some of my Ganon slots.

jaystring

Smash Ace
jaystring you're a beast man! still checking back in this thread now and again. Can't wait!
Thanks!

------------------------------

A small update just to show that recolors on all HW Ganondorf costumes are started.

For Default HW Ganondorf, I've done 4 custom recolors (red, green, blue, white) and all it's Wii U original HW recolors (+ the dark one)

Here's some screen of some of them :

OOT and TP have recolors too that are done but I won't show them now (since Imgur is still not working for me and tinypic is slow as hell...)

OOT Ganondorf will get all of it's default PM recolors

TP Ganondorf will get all it's Brawl recolors.

Top Bottom