• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jaystring's mod thread

jaystring

Smash Ace
I haven't said this so, I love the Wii U FE costumes so much that my BeX build has Wii U Marth, Ike, Roy, and Lucina with their own slot. This goes to show ho much I love your work.
Nice Nice! Happy to hear that!

Has the limit of 50 character in the CSS been fix yet for PM BeX? it's the only thing making me wait to start adding BrawlEx to my build

Heavy D88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HeavyD1488
3DS FC
1719-3686-1030
Just wanted to mention that the most recent updates you've made to Roy and Marth are great. Using them now. I have Wii U Marth over Brawl, and his Brawl costume for Wii U over the custom slot that he had before. I also got a mix of Wii U and Brawl costume Roy as well.

Can't tell you how badly I'm wanting that new Ike you got cookin'. Keep up the good work Jay, hope you like what I gave ya as well.

jaystring

Smash Ace
Just wanted to mention that the most recent updates you've made to Roy and Marth are great. Using them now. I have Wii U Marth over Brawl, and his Brawl costume for Wii U over the custom slot that he had before. I also got a mix of Wii U and Brawl costume Roy as well.

Can't tell you how badly I'm wanting that new Ike you got cookin'. Keep up the good work Jay, hope you like what I gave ya as well.
Thank you!

I'll be posing and test rendering Ike this weekend probably so if I manage to get a cool pose this weekend, I should be able to have Ike done next week.

yeah I'll check your animation tonight after work!!

PrinceGal3n

Smash Journeyman
Yeah it's really cool! If I have it in my build, it's good!

Most of the time I always use the same stages for screenshots.

You've seen a lot PM Skyloft before because it was my favorite lighting at the time but my new favorite one right now is Edwguard Flows's Omega Palutena Temple. I don't know how he did the lighting in this map but it's incredibly good, miles ahead any other stage I've seen in Brawl/PM.

But when I do huge gallery with tons of costumes and screenshot, to add a bit of diversity, I usually choose some random stages for some costume

That's how I choose that Kirby one. lighting was actually pretty good!
Do you have a link to that Kirby stage? I am highly intrigued now.

jaystring

Smash Ace
Do you have a link to that Kirby stage? I am highly intrigued now.
If nobody answer before me, I'll check it out tonight and let you know. I don't remember the name of the stage right now.
I don't think it has.
all right, I guess I'll wait more

I think there's only 8 available extra slot to add with BrawlEx to reach 50 with Vanilla Project M. That's definitively not enough for all the thing I would like to add.

jaystring

Smash Ace
So tonight I decided to dig up some old mods of my 3.02 build I made long time ago and put them in my 3.6 build either permanently or as placeholder until I get the time to update them or do a new version.

All of these are texture edit of other people's mod as they were done even before I knew how to make custom imports myself

I thought it would be cool to share some screens of some of them! If there is interest, I might even share some of these eventually!

1) I always loved Project M's model of Ocarina Link but it always bugged me that he's a bit too saturated compared to the rest of Brawl cast so I made a tweak version of his textures where his colors where rebalanced a bit to blend better with the rest of Brawl's cast. I still really like these so I'll probably keep them and I could release them if anyone want them.

Green :

Red :

Blue :

2) Long time ago, I made a retexture of a good Dixie Mod I found on the Vault. This one still looks quite good but the original mod has some bones issues that are quite annoying (The bone index where changed to have the hair rigged properly over Diddy's tail but because of this, she has some bugs like some hitbox not been exactly at the right place or the item not been oriented correctly in her hand). I wish I knew how to fix this.

Default color :

The original DCK2 Player 2 Recolor I made :

3) Made a King K rool retexture too of someone's mod. While it's not ugly, I think it's a bit Dated now. Since I really like King K Rool, I do intend to make an import of him at some point. and probably give him back his DCK2 and DCK3 costume as custom project!

4) I made some time ago a retexture of a Duck Hunt skin that was over Wario. Because of Wario's animation and the "dead duck" in his hands, I alway really love that skin because of how ridiculously funny he was. I'll probably gonna keep this one since Wii U Duck Hunt couldn't properly fit on anyone's squeleton without major modification.

5) Last one for today, I made a retexture of someone's Eggman too a while back. This one looks a bit dated and the model wasn't skinned that well. I'll probably do a better version at some point!

Heavy D88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HeavyD1488
3DS FC
1719-3686-1030
I like those OoT Link recolors you did. They look good.

WildestSpade1

Smash Cadet
Hey jaystring,
A while back I was talking about trying to add glowing eyes to your Mewtwo model, and after some time today I actually was able to. I exported the "Mewtwo_Eye_SHADOW" texture, opening it in Gimp, and adding a light blue transparent layer. Then, I saved without compression (with compression it was very messed up) and imported it as "MewtwoEyeBlue" in the pac file's TextureData. It works! I haven't been able to recreate the slightly glow that applies to the rest of the model, though, but the eye looks great. Also, I noticed a minor bug with the model today: If you jump forwards, his "second neck" disappears. Absolutely no clue how to fix that.

jaystring

Smash Ace
Hey jaystring,
A while back I was talking about trying to add glowing eyes to your Mewtwo model, and after some time today I actually was able to. I exported the "Mewtwo_Eye_SHADOW" texture, opening it in Gimp, and adding a light blue transparent layer. Then, I saved without compression (with compression it was very messed up) and imported it as "MewtwoEyeBlue" in the pac file's TextureData. It works! I haven't been able to recreate the slightly glow that applies to the rest of the model, though, but the eye looks great. Also, I noticed a minor bug with the model today: If you jump forwards, his "second neck" disappears. Absolutely no clue how to fix that.
I've not yet had the time to check that issue out but if it's as simple as adding an extra texture named correctly, it's really nice and quite simple. eventually i'll update mewtwo with the fix

I'm guessing after you finish Old School Ike and the CSPs, You'll work on Cloud.
after Ike, Dante and Vergil are getting CSP then yes it's Cloud

but i'll be slowing down new stuff for a small while right after the CSP because i'll be working next on 2 PSA project I promised I would do for some people!

WildestSpade1

Smash Cadet
Awesome! Also I got the slight body glow to work during hover as well. For that, I just added the "Edge2" texture from the PM model and renamed the "Mewtwo_Body" material as "Body" to be consistent with what the animation loads.

Last edited:

Cynapse

Smash Ace
Awesome! Also I got the slight body glow to work as well. For that, I just added the "Edge2" texture from the PM model and renamed the "Mewtwo_Body" material as "Body" to be consistent with what the animation loads.
It's pretty basic. The textures are called by the PSA, not the model.

WildestSpade1

Smash Cadet
It was very simply once I figured out what was going on. I'd never edited a model before though so it still took me a few hours. I couldn't seem to find a good tutorial for how to use BrawlBox's various animation options (the CHR, SRT, ect)

jaystring

Smash Ace
It's pretty basic. The textures are called by the PSA, not the model.
That makes me very happy to learn because the update should be simple in that case and I won't need to re-import anything from 3dsmax.

I've got a specific update idea planned for Mewtwo once I get my hand on a specific model from a new specific game. I'll update the eye thing at the same time.

PrinceGal3n

Smash Journeyman
That makes me very happy to learn because the update should be simple in that case and I won't need to re-import anything from 3dsmax.

I've got a specific update idea planned for Mewtwo once I get my hand on a specific model from a new specific game. I'll update the eye thing at the same time.
Would that happen to be what we discussed earlier? Or is it of a certain dark variety?

Panudroid

Smash Journeyman
Hey jaystring,
Awesome! Also I got the slight body glow to work during hover as well. For that, I just added the "Edge2" texture from the PM model and renamed the "Mewtwo_Body" material as "Body" to be consistent with what the animation loads.
Could you point me to the guide(s) that you followed?

WildestSpade1

Smash Cadet
Could you point me to the guide(s) that you followed?
Unfortunately I didn't find a guide. I looked through YouTube and such, and most of the guides weren't helpful at all. Basically, I sat down with some paper and pencil and took detailed notes on all the differences between the regular PM FitMewtwo00.pac file and jaystring's pac. Then, I messed around with the animation window in BrawlBox until I concluded that the PAT option was responsible for loading textures. Then, I looked through the FitMewtwoMotionEtc.pac file and found the hover animation (named fuwafuwa for some reason). After some time I concluded that the game was looking to load a "MewtwoEyeBlue" texture for each eye (EyeL / EyeR materials) and an "Edge2" texture for the Body material. So I did some renaming / adding. I'm guessing what I did isn't important to what you're trying to accomplish, but I thought I'd share anyway just in case someone finds it helpful.

jaystring

Smash Ace
If you guy can wait, I'll make an "official fix" for Mewtwo's blue eye glow updating all the old costumes + the new one i'll add

In the mean time, he's the first shot of Cloud In-game!

Keep in mind it's early stuff and I'll be updating his texture even more meaning he's gonna look even better. The rigging is pretty much done except some bugs but the rest need lots of work (textures, material, shader, good Hair transparency, facial expression, etc.)

AC Cloud is a significantly heavier model then FF7 Cloud too so I'll try and look into optimization option. maybe including a partial facial expresion like Roy for Wii User.

WildestSpade1

Smash Cadet
If you guy can wait, I'll make an "official fix" for Mewtwo's blue eye glow updating all the old costumes + the new one i'll add

In the mean time, he's the first shot of Cloud In-game!

Keep in mind it's early stuff and I'll be updating his texture even more meaning he's gonna look even better. The rigging is pretty much done except some bugs but the rest need lots of work (textures, material, shader, good Hair transparency, facial expression, etc.)

AC Cloud is a significantly heavier model then FF7 Cloud too so I'll try and look into optimization option. maybe including a partial facial expresion like Roy for Wii User.
Thanks, and no pressure or rush. I'm looking forward to all your cool new stuff :)

Javln Mastr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Modernlykos
3DS FC
3823-8516-1685
It's actually funny that in PM, Cloud still has most of his same aerial animations, if not almost identical to Sm4sh
-Nair
-Fair
-Bair

jaystring

Smash Ace
It's actually funny that in PM, Cloud still has most of his same aerial animations, if not almost identical to Sm4sh
-Nair
-Fair
-Bair
Well Cloud is like an almost semi-clone of Ike in term of animation, he shares multiple animation with Ike even in the Wii U game i've noticed

Talking about Cloud! here's some new WIP progress!

Both base costumes pac files are almost done actually. I'll make a "Wii Version" for AC Cloud because the default version (which will become the dolphin version) is the heaviest model import i've done up until now, having more poly and facepoint then Wii U Roy

The "wii version" will have partial facial expression + he's gonna lose all his holster in the back (like the dissidia model) + all his straps and stuff will be plane model instead of 3d model, saving a bit of triangles. I'll see after if he need more cuts then that.

The "dolphin version" of AC Cloud actually has all his back holster rigged over Ike's cape bones so they move along with his movement, working quite well actually

So, screenshots! This is without HD texture so the default pack for Wii User that can't use HD texture will look like this

FF7 Cloud

AC Cloud

About Ike, I'm a bit late on him because i've been playing around with his poses and render and still haven't got one I liked enough. So I still need to figure that out before releasing him.

Heavy D88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HeavyD1488
3DS FC
1719-3686-1030
Cloud looks good man.

Some criticism though... I'd put a bit of shading across the top of his forehead. So it looks like his hair is casting a shadow. It looks a bit bright otherwise.

If you need pose suggestions I could help you out. I make a lot for myself just for fun.

Last edited:

jaystring

Smash Ace
Cloud looks good man.

Some criticism though... I'd put a bit of shading across the top of his forehead. So it looks like his hair is casting a shadow. It looks a bit bright otherwise.

If you need pose suggestions I could help you out. I make a lot for myself just for fun.
yeah you're right! will totally get that fixed.

While a good pass on re-texturing has be done, there's still some stuff I would like to tweak on them

For exemple, I don't particularly like AC Cloud's hair yet, could have a bit more contrast and a bit of saturation

Heavy D88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HeavyD1488
3DS FC
1719-3686-1030
Yeah... I see what you mean there.

What pose ideas for Ike do you have so far?

Last edited:

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Man, your stuff looks better every time I see it lol

EDIT: Suprisingly, I found two more relevant things to post before anyone else commented on this beautiful stuff.

(1) Was wondering if you had interest in making a Pokken Shadow Mewtwo! He looks like this:

(2) I found a very good use for your Ike models, in case you would like to use them in this way :) :

Last edited:

jaystring

Smash Ace
Yeah... I see what you mean there.

What pose ideas for Ike do you have so far?
I didn't save most of my multiple tests I've done but I've got this right now that I think will work! Still need some tweaking but I'll probably go with this!

Wii U

Brawl

Man, your stuff looks better every time I see it lol

EDIT: Suprisingly, I found two more relevant things to post before anyone else commented on this beautiful stuff.

(1) Was wondering if you had interest in making a Pokken Shadow Mewtwo! He looks like this:

(2) I found a very good use for your Ike models, in case you would like to use them in this way :) :

Thank you!

and about you're questions

1) yeah I'll probably port Pokken Dark Mewtwo at some point as an update to Wii U Mewtwo (and fix his blue eyes at the same time). I'll wait until I get my hand on the 3D model. No point in losing time making a custom model when the game is soon going to be released and someone will probably rip the models at some point.

2) Since this PSA is based on DSX8 export and I think he integrated FF7 cloud as an Ike costume just like I did, my mod will probably be 100% compatible with it from the start (or ALMOST compatible. It's possible it crash if the PSA is super heavy in filesize. My Cloud model will be quite heavy too. Downscaling a couple of texture should fix it. I've kept them as heavy as possible to keep the best visual possible).

I've almost finished editing AC Cloud's Wii Version + the "dolphin version" for Sleeveless AC Cloud + better face texture and hair texture for ACCloud. Should be able to showcase them soon!

Heavy D88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HeavyD1488
3DS FC
1719-3686-1030
Those look just fine Jay. I'd keep em. Anticipation for Ike rising

jaystring

Smash Ace
AC Cloud Sleeveless!

Edit : Also has tweaked Hair texture and face texture!

Last edited:
Top Bottom