• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Japanese Results Compendium

Djent

Smash Champion
I made a list of all the top- and high-level players I found in each pool:
A01: Ranai :4villager:
A02: Komorikiri :4sonic:
A03: Rain :4sheik:, Nga :4megaman:
A04: Nietono :061:
A05: Earth :4pit:, El :rosalina:
A06: Umeki :4peach:
A07: Nyanko :4sheik::4dk:, Shimitake :4pikachu:
A08: Hayato. :4tlink:
A09: Songun :4gaw:
A10: Sakasaka :4sheik:
A11: FILIP :4mario:
A12: Salena :4metaknight:
A13: Paseriman :4pit:, Motsunabe :4ryu:
A14: Ice :rosalina:
A15: Ruriruri :rosalina:, Yusan :4duckhunt:
A16: Kept :4villager:

B01: Choco :4zss:
B02: Abadango :4pacman::4metaknight::rosalina:, SH :4fox:
B03: Shu :4sheik:
B04: taranito :4ness:
B05: 9B :4ryu:, Mr. II :4robinm:
B06: Daiki :4megaman::4diddy:
B07: Some :4greninja:, Brood :4duckhunt:, Kappamaki :4pit::4darkpit:, Eim :4sheik:, Lightning Igarashi :4samus::4mario:, Taiga :substitute: (!!!)
B08: Pichi :4falcon:
B09: KEN :4sonic:
B10: Nasubi :4wario:, Tamanyaso :4metaknight:
B11: Yuzu :rosalina:, Kisha :4megaman:, Shuto :4diddy:, mow :4lucario:, Ninomiya :4yoshi: (!!)
B12: Kamemushi :4megaman:, YOC :4sonic:, Fuwa :4villagerf:
B13: Octo :4sonic:, Tige :4falcon:
B14: Tsu- :4lucario:, Shogun :4fox:
B15: Aiba :4yoshi:, Shadow :4sheik::4falcon:, Nojinko :4myfriends:, Lean :4sheik::4pikachu: (!!)
B16: Nariyasu :061:

Last edited:

juddy96

Smash Lord
A1: G3 | Ranai:4villager:
A2: G3 | Komorikiri:4sonic:, ♪:4zelda:
A3: G3 | Rain:4sheik:, Nga:4megaman:, G3 eSR | Rom:substitute:
A4: G3 DNG | Nietono:061:, G3 | Haruki:4sheik:
A5: G3 | Earth:4pit:, G3 | El:rosalina:
A6: G3 | Umeki:4peach:, Tsu~:4falcon:
A7: Nyanko:4sheik::4dk:, G3 SHIG | Shimitake:4pikachu:
A8: Hayato.:4tlink:
A9: Songun:4gaw:, Yui:4fox:, T:4link:
A10: Sakasaka:4sheik:, Pasutaa:4pit:
A11: G3 | FILIP:4mario:, Shiki:4greninja:, G3 | Dol:4jigglypuff:
A12: Salena:4metaknight:, Coral:4charizard:
A13: Paseriman:4pit:, Motsunabe:4ryu:, Moori:4rob:, Z~Tan:substitute:
A14: Ice:rosalina:, G3 | Dainosuke:4diddy:
A15: Ruriruri:rosalina:, Yusan:4duckhunt:, shky:4zss:
A16: kept:4villager:

B1: Choco:4zss:, Fujita:4ryu:
B2: G3 #THE | Abadango:4pacman::4metaknight::rosalina:, SH:4fox:
B3: Shu:4sheik:, Gurumia:rosalina:, Menma:4sonic:
B4: taranito:4ness:
B5: G3 SHIG | 9B:4ryu:, Mr. II:4robinm:, Takoman:4falcon:
B6: Daiki:4megaman::4diddy:, Kuchitsupa:substitute:
B7: Some:4greninja:, Brood:4duckhunt:, Kappamaki:4pit::4darkpit:, Eim:4sheik:, Lightning Igarashi:4samus::4mario:, Taiga:4mario:
B8: Pichi:4falcon:
B9: KEN:4sonic:, Reo:4myfriends:
B10: G3 | Nasubi:4wario:, RYO:4sonic:, Hare:4falcon:, Tamanyaso:4metaknight:
B11: Yuzu:rosalina:, Kisha:4megaman:, Shoot:4diddy:, mow:4lucario:, SHIG | Ninomiya:4yoshi:
B12: Kamemushi:4megaman:, Yoc:4sonic:, Fuwa:4villagerf:, Hacyappy:4alph:, Qoo:substitute:
B13: Octo:4sonic:
B14: Tsu-:4lucario:, Shogun:4fox:
B15: SHIG | Aiba:4yoshi:, SHIG | Shadow:4sheik::4falcon:, Nojinko:4myfriends:, Lean:4sheik::4pikachu:
B16: Nariyasu:061:

Last edited:

juddy96

Smash Lord

Djent

Smash Champion
Pools for Umebura~Tokaigi GP (yes I know I call it something different every time deal with it) have now concluded. Juddy is working on the translated bracket, which is now in the OP. There are some interesting early matches, such as Abadango vs. Choco projecting for WR2. I also regret to inform you all that certain fan-favorites such as Nga, Some and Shimitake have drowned in pools. But fret ye not, because we're in for a long night of hype.

Last edited:

Djent

Smash Champion
So it is the same guy who gave Otori trouble at SRT, huh?

I am super impressed with Ranai, because I'm pretty sure he just won without dropping a game. I'm also impressed with Choco, who made it to Grands after playing the entire bracket in losers. Both accomplishments are kind of absurd when you think about it. I am also happy to see Shu developing into a truly top-level player again. It's been some years, but I'm glad he's finally back where we all knew he could be.

juddy96

Smash Lord
So it is the same guy who gave Otori trouble at SRT, huh?

I am super impressed with Ranai, because I'm pretty sure he just won without dropping a game. I'm also impressed with Choco, who made it to Grands after playing the entire bracket in losers. Both accomplishments are kind of absurd when you think about it. I am also happy to see Shu developing into a truly top-level player again. It's been some years, but I'm glad he's finally back where we all knew he could be.
Unless he lost one to Buta, Yui, or Brood offstream, then no he didn't drop a game.

Last edited:

Jucchan

Smash Journeyman
Ranai said on stream that he didn't drop a game the whole tournament.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Brood and Earth are so ridiculously good with their characters. Really sick stuff by both of them.

:059:

Jucchan

Smash Journeyman
Not related to Umebura, but Karisuma 5.5 isn't a tournament but a Smash chill party so it should be removed from the "upcoming events" on OP.

juddy96

Smash Lord
A few videos (including grand finals) from HST7 in Hokkaido are now on SHI-G youtube.

Also, some of the more overlooked performances at Umebura:

Good

T :4link: defeating Top 20 players Daiki and taranito, along with Aiba for 17th
Shoot :4diddy: defeating Songun and Sakasaka for 9th
Motsunabe :4ryu::4lucario: defeating Ice, Shogun, and Yui for 9th

Not so good

Umeki :4peach: losing to Nietono and Keya for 49th
Some :4greninja: drowning in pools
The entire :4megaman: squad of Daiki, Nga, Kamemushi, and Kisha for winning a total of 2 sets in Top 96 bracket

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Man he played so patient against Choco. But he also flubbed game 2 with Fsmash instead of downb for a possible game 3 win.
It's sad that he prefers wifi over offline, there any reasoning's behind it? Like him telling some people why he does Online only or no.

Djent

Smash Champion
Jucchan Jucchan was nice enough to translate this entry from Abadango's blog (it is about counterpicking). I'm posting it here because I think it will likely be of interest to many of you. He strongly implies that he'll be phasing out Pac-Man and Rosalina, which I think is wise. MK is by far his strongest character now despite the fact that he's only been using him for a few months.
Here's the translation:

Is Counterpicking Strong?
Isn't it true that the more balanced a game is, the stronger counterpicking is? I'm not so confident that this is true anymore. As long as no one character is way ahead of the others, players usually have one pocket character as a secondary (I am also one of these people). USF4 is overflowing with Evil Ryu and Elena, but I think the character that is easy to use, strong, and good for a pocket in Smash 4 is (atm) Meta Knight. He has many good matchups and is not hard to use. If it were the previous patch, characters like Luigi. If you use her well, Rosalina is good too.
However, the popular idea that "having secondaries is strong" is obscuring the disadvantages of using secondaries, so I, as a user of multiple characters, will write about my thoughts the pros and cons of doing so.

Pros
You can fight advantageous or well-practiced matchups
Obviously, since you are counterpicking, you can force your preferred matchup against a solo-main. This is the #1 pro of secondaries. I think the most popular usage is to use secondaries to cover your main's bad matchups.

It becomes harder to prepare against you
This is simply because the more characters an opponent has, the more you have to prepare against. This is only a real advantage when all of your characters are strong.

It's fun to use many characters
Well, it's a game, so of course it's more fun if you can use many characters.

You can avoid the ditto
I think that there are many people that dislike dittos (I am one of these people too). By using a secondary, you can avoid the ditto.

You can get better at the game in general (maybe)
When only using one character, you tend to only get better at that character, not the game. I think that people that are really good a one character but become very bad when using any other are either clumsy or bad at the game.

Cons
You become weak to counterpicks and double-blind picks
Secondaries are usually only trained towards doing certain matchups, so if you get counterpicked on your secondary you are at a large matchup experience disadvantage. In addition, if two multi-character players face-off, there will certainly be a double-blink pick first game. It means that you can't only train secondaries for counterpicking, but also for being counterpicked against.

You need more practice time than solo-mains
In order to cover the first con, you need to train your secondaries as if they were your main. However, time is limited, and you need twice the training time (main+secondary) compared to a solo-main (even more if your two characters control differently). If you spend the same time training as a solo-main, of course the quality of your characters will be lower than theirs. Spending a lot more time training is the only solution that would solve the first con, so you are forced to accept either the first con or this one.

"Easy" counterpicks do not exist
If you are counterpicking, that means you think that you gain a matchup advantage doing so. It means that from your opponent's standpoint it's a disadvantageous matchup, and the first matchup that they will try to train themselves in. If you counterpick just because it's an advantageous matchup and without properly training yourself, your supposedly disadvantaged opponent will rather be at an advantage.

You don't have a main to rely on in a pinch
This is another comparison to solo-mains, but solo-mains only use one character. No matter who the opponent is, they do not waver. However, since multi-character players use various characters, there times when they don't know who to choose (especially when none of the characters have a clear advantage against the opponent). You are at a mental disadvantage at the character select screen. Although you might end up choosing the character that the opponent seems to dislike the most, it's clear that in the long run this is not a reliable strategy.

It's not hype
Generally, the crowd does not want to watch the character with the advantage winning. The crowd wants the disadvantaged character somehow beat the advantaged one, so even if your counterpick works as planned and you win, it's not hype. In comparison, it is cool and hype when a solo-main overcomes a disadvantageous matchup.

Conclusion
What do you think? Don't you think that the cons seem to be larger than the pros? By the way, my opinion as a player who has used multiple characters and continues to use multiple characters is that Being a solo-main is better. (Of course, you have to main a character that is fairly strong) I think that there are many people that split up their time practicing multiple characters when you improve much faster as a solo-main. I think that it is best for people that can't seem to do well at tournaments to limit themselves to one good character. If you want to add a character, I think that you should play that character only, extensively, for a certain period of time.
In Brawl, I used Olimar, Falco, and Wario, but I couldn't choose who to use against Meta Knight and switched it around depending on the opponent or how I felt before the match. In the end, I used Wario the most, and relied on him the most. For now, (as long as there aren't nerfs,) I want to use Meta Knight only in as many matchups as possible.
I only thought of this while writing this but I can't understand players in Melee that use Sheik against Fox but use Fox against Sheik

Illuminose

Smash Ace
am I correctly interpreting that the nintendo niconico championships will only have 6 participants?

Jucchan

Smash Journeyman
The announcement was a while ago, but a SHI-G sponsored 80-man offline tournament is happening in Kanto the 7th of February. It even has a prize pool apparently. Not many details have been released yet though.

Djent

Smash Champion
Pre-KVO is this weekend. There are a surprising # of good players signed up so far despite the low amount of entrants (~55):

Ranai :4villager:
Komorikiri :4sonic:
Aki :4sheik:
9B :4ryu:
Earth :4pit:
OCEAN :4rob:
J! :4sheik:
Souther :4falcon:
Saiya :4falcon:
Yusan :4duckhunt:
Ikep :rosalina:
aMSa :4greninja:
Paseriman :4pit:
Ruriruri :rosalina:
Shimitake :4pikachu:
Sylph :4sheik:
Kei :4ryu:
Masashi :4sheik:

Last edited:

Hazzuh

Smash Rookie
Just looked at tournaments listed in the OP and Ranai and Earth seem like they have a pretty fierce rivalry going. Ranai is up 6-5 in sets as far as I can tell. Much closer than I would have thought.

juddy96

Smash Lord
:4luigi: Calpis
:4diddy: Isotaku, Macho
:4sheik: Sylph, Z~Tan, G3 | J!, tk3, vent, Aki, Edge, Koiwai, Hiraga
:4rob: OCEAN, Sopumo
:rosalina: Ruriruri, Atelier, Jan, GAZER, ikep, G3 #THE | Abadango
:4ryu: G3 | Kei, G3 SHIG | 9B, Chiruchiru, Aki
:4lucario: Gomamugitya
:4dk: HIKARU, Araemon
:4pit: Ako
:4gaw: Notty
:4ness: Chata, Namyu, Honiya, Saturn
:4tlink: Rima, Sigma
:4villager: G3 | Ranai, DoubleA
:4mewtwo: M2_KENTO
:4peach: Kakashino, Wax, Nute, Mizero
:4zss: Lagnel, Kurousa, Yamanyon, Macho
:4duckhunt: Yusan
:4cloud: G3 | Komorikiri, Martan
:4pacman: Ginko, G3 #THE | Abadango
:4wario2: G3 | Nasubi
:4myfriends: Nojinko
:4metaknight: G3 | Lucia, G3 #THE | Abadango
:4fox: SH, Shogun
:4falcon: Hare, Tsu~, Souther
:4sonic: G3 | Komorikiri, Hare
:4wiifit: G3 | Rin
:4yoshi: DIO, PAL, Punsuko
:4jigglypuff: G3 | Dol
:4ganondorf: Gungnir
:4falco: Emiya
:4olimar: Shuton
:4mario: G3 | FILIP, Tatsutsuyo
:4megaman: Yuman
:substitute: SHIG | JUN

:4greninja: Shiki
:4tlink: Hayato.
:4sonic: KEN, RYO, PhiT, Octo
:4sheik: Shu, G3 | Haruki, harvest, Eim, TONY
:4pit: Pasutaa
:rosalina: G3 | el, Gurumia, Yuzu, Ice
:4zss: Choco, shky
:4pikachu: Lean
:4diddy: Shoot, G3 | Dainosuke
:4ryu: Motsunabe
:4lucario: Motsunabe, mow
:4fox: Yui
:4jigglypuff: P-
:4robinf: Keya
:4falcon: Pichi
:4link: T, JACK
:4duckhunt: Brood, Light
:4megaman: sinth
:4gaw: Songun
:4yoshi: SHIG | Aiba, SHIG | Ninomiya, Rotsuku
:4olimar: Hacyappy
:4bowser: KENT
:4palutena: Jyala
:substitute: Nariyasu, G3 eSR | Rom, G3 | Ayuha

:4diddy: G3 DNG | Nietono
:4sheik: G3 | Rain, Nyanko
:4pit: G3 | Earth, Paseriman
:4ness: taranito
:4villagerf: Fuwa
:4peach: G3 | Umeki, Kie
:4metaknight: Salena
:4sonic: Yoc
:4pikachu: G3 SHIG | Shimitake
:4falcon: Moropupu
:4megaman: Kamemushi
:4lucas: Moropupu
:4greninja: Some

Last edited:

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
:4luigi: Calpis
:4diddy: Isotaku, Macho
:4sheik: Sylph, Z~Tan, G3 | J!, tk3, vent, Aki, Edge, Koiwai, Hiraga
:4rob: OCEAN, Sopumo
:rosalina: Ruriruri, Atelier, Jan, GAZER, ikep, G3 #THE | Abadango
:4ryu: G3 | Kei, G3 SHIG | 9B, Chiruchiru, Aki
:4lucario: Gomamugitya
:4dk: HIKARU, Araemon
:4pit: Ako
:4gaw: Notty
:4ness: Chata, Namyu, Honiya, Saturn
:4tlink: Rima, Sigma
:4villager: G3 | Ranai, DoubleA
:4mewtwo: M2_KENTO
:4peach: Kakashino, Wax, Nute, Mizero
:4zss: Lagnel, Kurousa, Yamanyon, Macho
:4duckhunt: Yusan
:4cloud: G3 | Komorikiri, Martan
:4pacman: Ginko, G3 #THE | Abadango
:4wario2: G3 | Nasubi
:4myfriends: Nojinko
:4metaknight: G3 | Lucia, G3 #THE | Abadango
:4fox: SH, Shogun
:4falcon: Hare, Tsu~, Souther
:4sonic: G3 | Komorikiri, Hare
:4wiifit: G3 | Rin
:4yoshi: DIO, PAL, Punsuko
:4jigglypuff: G3 | Dol
:4ganondorf: Gungnir
:4falco: Emiya
:4olimar: Shuton
:4mario: G3 | FILIP, Tatsutsuyo
:4megaman: Yuman
:substitute: SHIG | JUN

:4greninja: Shiki
:4tlink: Hayato.
:4sonic: KEN, RYO, PhiT, Octo
:4sheik: Shu, G3 | Haruki, harvest, Eim, TONY
:4pit: Pasutaa
:rosalina: G3 | el, Gurumia, Yuzu, Ice
:4zss: Choco, shky
:4pikachu: Lean
:4diddy: Shoot, G3 | Dainosuke
:4ryu: Motsunabe
:4lucario: Motsunabe, mow
:4fox: Yui
:4jigglypuff: P-
:4robinf: Keya
:4falcon: Pichi
:4link: T, JACK
:4duckhunt: Brood, Light
:4megaman: sinth
:4gaw: Songun
:4yoshi: SHIG | Aiba, SHIG | Ninomiya, Rotsuku
:4olimar: Hacyappy
:4bowser: KENT
:4palutena: Jyala
:substitute: Nariyasu, G3 eSR | Rom, G3 | Ayuha

:4diddy: G3 DNG | Nietono
:4sheik: G3 | Rain, Nyanko
:4pit: G3 | Earth, Paseriman
:4ness: taranito
:4villagerf: Fuwa
:4peach: G3 | Umeki, Kie
:4metaknight: Salena
:4sonic: Yoc
:4pikachu: G3 SHIG | Shimitake
:4falcon: Moropupu
:4megaman: Kamemushi
:4lucas: Moropupu
:4greninja: Some
When are those tournaments?

Djent

Smash Champion
Sumabato GP is on 12/26 (it's GMT+9, so plan for conversions). Umebura 20 is the very next day. For reference, there's a calendar in the OP that lists other upcoming events as well.

Jucchan

Smash Journeyman
On the 11th of January there will be the Umebura Genesis Cup. The players going to Genesis 3 get to register ahead of time so they can get some practice in before they go to the US. About 80 entrants.

Umebura 21 is scheduled for the 11th of February.

Top Bottom