• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Jan 3, 2015] Cincinnati Smash Revival Biweekly (Mason, Ohio)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Smash 4's just a side event there, we're not particularly interested in Melee or PM

Just_a_Smash_Thought

Smash Rookie
NNID
Legobaby899
3DS FC
0946-2423-1394
I'm really sorry about the mixup from last time! My mistake! It was my first ever tournament so I hope it doesn't leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth. I'll be there most likely at every one from no won, if you don't mind. Also, could we extange FC's? I'm looking to get better al the time. My FC is 0946-2423-1394

Just_a_Smash_Thought

Smash Rookie
NNID
Legobaby899
3DS FC
0946-2423-1394
Sorry about the mixup from last time! Totally my mistake! I hope it didn't screw any one up or leave a bad taste in anyones' mouth. Its was my first ever tourney so I hope I didn't mess it up too badly. I am always looking to improve and was hoping we could trade 3DS FC's? Mine is 0946-2423-1394

Kel

Smash Master
I don't see any information regarding smash 4 on the OP. What is the rule set? Are you running smash 4 doubles?

Kidbuu42

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kidbuu42
I don't see any information regarding smash 4 on the OP. What is the rule set? Are you running smash 4 doubles?
It's hidden under a sneaky little spoiler tag.

All matches are best 2 out of 3
2 Stocks
6 Minute Timer
No Items
Custom moves Allowed
Equipment Not Allowed
You can switch custom move sets in between games but they must already be set up.
1 stage ban by winner
Stagelist:
Starters:
- Battlefield
- Yoshi's Island
- Prism Tower
Counterpicks:
- Brinstar
- Arena Ferox
- Final Destination (when this is counterpicked, any omega variant can be chosen instead)

Also, doesn't look like any doubles event this week.

PiBs

Smash Journeyman
I would suggest copying OS's rule set, Colin. The game needs to be at least 3 stocks.
I'm still split on if I want 2/3 stocks. There is so many events to run. I'm gonna talk with the other local TOs tomorrow. I'm leaning towards 3 stocks at the moment though.

PiBs

Smash Journeyman
Also to people that are like "Why no Smash 4 3DS doubles?", I don't think the 3DS handles connections well enough from 4 players to run it in a competetive tournament. However, when WiiU edition is released, I will 100% run teams for it.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Also to people that are like "Why no Smash 4 3DS doubles?", I don't think the 3DS handles connections well enough from 4 players to run it in a competetive tournament. However, when WiiU edition is released, I will 100% run teams for it.
I have run Smash 4 3DS doubles successfully on two occasions now. The most lag experienced has been in singles between Kassandra and Katakiri and it was near unplayable, so the worst lag possible in doubles can't be worse than what we saw in their singles match.

Kel

Smash Master
I'm still split on if I want 2/3 stocks. There is so many events to run. I'm gonna talk with the other local TOs tomorrow. I'm leaning towards 3 stocks at the moment though.
Well cutting down on stock counts is NOT a way to attract smash 4 players. Why not cut PM or melee down to 2 stocks to save time? Same logic works with smash 4. The players won't want to go to this tournament over others (Hilt's) when you aren't using the best rules.

Overswarm ran has run 3ds doubles tournaments before with 4 games (16 people) playing at the same time. We've never had lag issues unless people sit too far away.

I'm currently planning on going to Hilt's tournament this weekend. I would prefer the CSR tournaments for local convenience and venue purposes, but I can't support 2 stock side events for my game.

Have fun guys.

Quint

Smash Rookie
Anyone in need of a Melee doubles partner this CSR coming up? I'm an okay Marth player =D Very little teams experience though so I very well might kill you on accident.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
I have run Smash 4 3DS doubles successfully on two occasions now. The most lag experienced has been in singles between Kassandra and Katakiri and it was near unplayable, so the worst lag possible in doubles can't be worse than what we saw in their singles match.
Even that might be chalked up to a glitch in Palutena's programming and not necessarily wireless lag itself. It happened again later in a friendly the same night and it only happened when I was playing as Palutena with the custom move Lightweight. In both instances it was fixed by restarting my 3DS even if I picked Palutena again afterward.

PiBs

Smash Journeyman
Well cutting down on stock counts is NOT a way to attract smash 4 players. Why not cut PM or melee down to 2 stocks to save time? Same logic works with smash 4. The players won't want to go to this tournament over others (Hilt's) when you aren't using the best rules.

Overswarm ran has run 3ds doubles tournaments before with 4 games (16 people) playing at the same time. We've never had lag issues unless people sit too far away.

I'm currently planning on going to Hilt's tournament this weekend. I would prefer the CSR tournaments for local convenience and venue purposes, but I can't support 2 stock side events for my game.

Have fun guys.
Okay, I switched Smash 4 3DS to have 3 Stocks. I figure this will work because my PM list now runs with 3 stocks instead of 4 (PM has been taking too long, may switch back to 4 when 3.5 releases). Also the 3DS doesn't require consoles and the tournament seem to run much faster because all you have to do is find your opponnet. Also, the Columbus TOs seems to agree with and like 3 stocks. I'm still not going to run Smash 4 3DS doubles, I've had many problems playing with 4 people at Arcade Legacy on fight nights when there are 25+ 3DS around. I love Smash 4 doubles though and look forward to the WiiU version to run it.

PiBs

Smash Journeyman
Anyone in need of a Melee doubles partner this CSR coming up? I'm an okay Marth player =D Very little teams experience though so I very well might kill you on accident.
You can probably find a partner at the event if you show up early. Also post in the facebook group.

Kidbuu42

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kidbuu42
Awesome. Totally support the 3 stock ruleset and have been in support of custom moves since the beginning. Only thing that's a bit odd is FD not being a neutral, but I think that will make things interesting.

Heroofhatz

Smash Journeyman
Oh hey I can bring a Dazzle for recording, but I don't have a computer to run the recording software since. If anyone brings their laptop, I'll let you use the Dazzle to record

Heroofhatz

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I switched Smash 4 3DS to have 3 Stocks. I figure this will work because my PM list now runs with 3 stocks instead of 4 (PM has been taking too long, may switch back to 4 when 3.5 releases). Also the 3DS doesn't require consoles and the tournament seem to run much faster because all you have to do is find your opponnet. Also, the Columbus TOs seems to agree with and like 3 stocks. I'm still not going to run Smash 4 3DS doubles, I've had many problems playing with 4 people at Arcade Legacy on fight nights when there are 25+ 3DS around. I love Smash 4 doubles though and look forward to the WiiU version to run it.
So I know that I don't really hold much weight here, but let me put a couple things out there.

When Peppy ran his first Smash 4 tourney, it took almost 7 hours to finish the thing, and it only had like 20 entrants. And this was a 3 stock ruleset. And pretty much everyone there said that 3 stocks was too long. And in addition to that, Double GF took one and a half hours for two game 5 sets.

In addition, when Columbus went up to TBH4, some specifically refused to enter PM just because of the 3 stock ruleset.

I understand that this is an experimental tournament since this is the first one with 3DS singles in it, so feel free to do what you feel is correct.

Heroofhatz

Smash Journeyman
Then let's drop Melee dubs if time is going to be an issue. Dubs always messes with tourneys more than other things. But if we drop PM down to 3 stocks then we're jeopardizing a good part of the PM scene not showing up.

QuincyJones

Smash Rookie
I'm carpooling with a bunch of others from Columbus down to Cinci for this tournament, and we're pretty much all strongly against the 3 stock ruleset. Most of what takes up time for the tournaments is people not actually playing their matches in a timely manner, taking extra time on CPS, etc.

Allow me to post this analysis that Colten(Soulpech), one of our local players had on the 3 stock ruleset after playing with it at BH4.
"3-STOCK:

Pros - 1) It's definitely quicker. The matches appear to be about 5 minutes shorter, which is awesome from a TO's standpoint. There were some matches that still ran it to be 2 minutes left (Ripple v HBox for example), but for the most part, it was super fast.

2) Easy to maintain lead. 3 stocks is great for those who are great in keeping and maintaining a lead. Because of a shortened stock, it takes players less time to adapt or they have to adapt during the set instead of a few stocks. From what I noticed, most matches went by "You took first stock = YOU WIN!"

Cons - 1) It can be too quick. I saw sets that took no more than 5 minutes (i.e. Armada vs everyone in his pool). From a player standpoint, this isn't fun.

2) Hard to come back. When I was playing or spectating some of these matches. I actually got bored. Roughly 90% of the time I was watching these matches I knew the outcome by "who took first stock". Plus, you have a chance to come back at 4 stocks...

TL:DR - I didn't like it. Good on a TO's perspective; bad on a player's perspective

-------------------------"

In the end less time for adaption is the part that really matters in my opinion. Smash is a game of understanding and adaptation, and shortening the time that we have to feel our opponents out is only going to severely lessen the potential for us to see players' download eachother.

QuincyJones

Smash Rookie
Well not 90% exactly, but 90% of the people who were vocal about it. Which means that there are a great many who feel very strongly against it, and not many who felt strongly for it.

Last edited:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
PiBs gonna come ni this thread and just be like "FINE. MARIO KART 8 AND MARIO PARTY 2. THAT'S WHAT WE'RE DOING ON SATURDAY."

Doctor X

Smash Lord
As OS has pointed out... 3-stocks for Smash 4 does not coexist well with other events. Each set can wind up taking upwards of 20 minutes. A 32-man bracket could easily approach 12+ hours. It simply isn't realistic.

Cutting PM down to 3 stocks will not make this more realistic. It will only annoy the PM fans-- which comprise a good portion of your regular attendance and nearly 100% of the non-local talent. There is no sense whatsoever in alienating them for the sake of pleasing people who rarely come to your tournaments and-- unless you make Smash 4 the sole main event-- probably still won't come to your tournaments.

Last edited:

Russy

Russydorf of Cincy
As OS has pointed out... 3-stocks for Smash 4 does not coexist well with other events. Each set can wind up taking upwards of 20 minutes. It simply isn't realistic.

Cutting PM down to 3 stocks will not make this more realistic. It will only annoy the PM fans-- which comprise a good portion of your regular attendance and nearly 100% of the non-local talent. There is no sense whatsoever in alienating them for the sake of pleasing people who rarely come to your tournaments and-- unless you make Smash 4 the sole main event-- probably still won't come to your tournaments.
Dr. X with the knowledge bombs up in this thread

Overswarm

is laughing at you
As OS has pointed out... 3-stocks for Smash 4 does not coexist well with other events. Each set can wind up taking upwards of 20 minutes. A 32-man bracket could easily approach 12+ hours. It simply isn't realistic.

Dr. X is right. You should cut PM from your tournaments and host Smash 4 only for future events. :B

Suyon

Smash Lord
To me 3 stocks or 4 stocks doesn't bother me at all. I may not even enter PM. Get rid of Melee Doubles. For smash 3DS 2 or 3 stocks is fine for me. I think 4 stocks is just too much. Until the Wii U version comes out I will play be it 2 or 3 stocks.

Top Bottom