• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ivysaur's a girl????

WITH

Smash Apprentice
uhhh, why is everyone referring to ivysaur as "she?"

...have you heared her voice????

if i'm being dumb and its written in the manual or something then oh well, but its hilarious to me that that manly plant could be a girl.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Ivysaur's nickname is Ivy.

Ivy is a ... girl in SC.

Therefore, Ivysaur is a girl.

But really, it doesn't matter lol. I call it an it.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Yeah, I actually play the Pokemon Games and check in on Pokemon cites (Like Serebii.net) and there is an 87.5% chance that Ivysaur is a boy. This sticks for all non-legendary Pokemon received through special events.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Weird, anyway, I think that it is just how Ivysaur sounds in Japan, which may translate in a change of tone across the Pacific, and I bet there is a different tone in the other languages when they come out.

Chaotic Yoshi

Smash Lord
Squirtle and Charizard are generally accepted as male. I'm pretty content with Ivysaur being female, I normally say her when referring to her, not sure why though since that's the underlying question in your post.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
I usually say he, because Ivy's face looks kind of masculine to me, and it's voice is a guy's in the NA version.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
OK, from an educated guess, I can conclude that Jigglypuff is female, while all the other Pokemon are male. Pikachu is the only playable Pokemon with a 50-50 chance of being either gender, but Pikachu also has gender differences and this one is male (females have a groove in their tail so the end is shaped somewhat like a heart). Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard, and Lucario are all obtained by special events (and evolving) and all of them have an 87.5% chance of being male (and because Lucario talks [somewhat] he is definetly male). Jigglypuff is an interesting one, because there is no gender differences or special events yet it is easy to infer it's gender, because there is a 3 in 4 chance of it being female, so we can guess it's gender just by that. If we go overboard and ask about the Pokemon from Melee, Pichu is either or and Mewtwo is genderless (yes, I know it talks, but it doesn't have a gender). Wow this is long, well, I hope this stops any confusion (or it could cause problems, I don't know which).

TheREALShadowChaos

Smash Journeyman
OK, from an educated guess, I can conclude that Jigglypuff is female, while all the other Pokemon are male. Pikachu is the only playable Pokemon with a 50-50 chance of being either gender, but Pikachu also has gender differences and this one is male (females have a groove in their tail so the end is shaped somewhat like a heart).
Ah yeah, your right Pikachu is male too, I forgot. :-)
But how do you know that Jiggly is female? Jiggly had no gender differences I thought and was 50%-50% too? Jiggly could be some guy with a girly voice because he was kicked in the nutts when he was young....

Charizard92

Smash Champion
It is not 50-50. I thought that to until I looked it up (again, on Serebii.net) where it was a 75% chance of being female (or 3 in 4), which is quite interesting for an average Pokemon (average means you obtain it normally).

G-Beast

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
OK.
i play in 4th gen diamond version here, and i just did a gender comparison.
THERE IS NO DISTINGUISHABLE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE GENDERS.
didnt meanto think that im yelling... just trying to make things clear so theres no more arguing ^^. also in the anime, girl pokemon have had the exact same voice sound as the male versions... were they have appeared...

Fearmy

Smash Ace
OK.
i play in 4th gen diamond version here, and i just did a gender comparison.
THERE IS NO DISTINGUISHABLE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE GENDERS.
didnt meanto think that im yelling... just trying to make things clear so theres no more arguing ^^. also in the anime, girl pokemon have had the exact same voice sound as the male versions... were they have appeared...
ahem, looks at what ash's bayleef before and that girl's (in the electrobuzz baseball player person's) bayleef, you could tell one was a male (weird girl) and the other was a female (ash's) Ash's bayleef had a way higher pitched voice

KoalaBear

Smash Apprentice
pokemons are ANIMALS!!!! they can be either just your imagination can make it whatever you want .. either she or he or a heshe or shehe :p

Eaode

Smash Champion
This thread provided many lols. I congratulate all of you and have provided twenty two Canadian dollars as reward for everyone, which you will find under your chair. Thank you again and good day to you all.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
It's a boy (educated guess) and I explained it all in my first post. By the way, gender differences aren't that obvious, but Pikachu is often used as an example and I explained what a female Pikachu's tail looks like (males have a straight edgedtail [which this one has] and females have a groove in it so it's shaped somewhat like the top end of a heart)

Atacusbebop123

Smash Journeyman

Fearmy

Smash Ace
well pikachu has ash's hat, and i'm pretty sure pikachu is a guy in the anime

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Proof from the games: Depending on the generation, starter Pokemon you get from the prof. are ALWAYS male to prevent breeding eggs without a ditto.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Does it really matter if the Pokemon are male or female? I mean, since you are playing as the Pokemon Trainer, can you not decide what gender your pokemon are? I mean, there isn't a Daycare around to hatch a Bulbasaur.

TheLake

Smash Master
This discussion is very simple

Ivys DEFINATLY a girl, because we WANT her to be a girl. We can conclude this by her lovley bulb and amazing singing voice. Plus girls with with whips are hott.

Squritles a male homosexual, we can conclude this based on how he amazing he performs. Homosexuals perform well in smash...look at marth.

and charizards a lumberjack. He head butts rocks AND breaths fire..enough said.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
What the ****, I explained in my posts, all three of them are male, there is no way that there is a non stupid (or creepy) argument that says not.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
I'm not, but I kinda know he's male. I play the video games and you are more than likely to get a male starter (although I do have a female Swampert)

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
I swear, we need a freaking sticky dealing with this. I think something like 60% of all threads in this section get derailed by this debate sooner or later.

1) Ivysaur has a really feminine voice in the Japanese version of the game. A lot of us played that before the U.S. version came out. So a lot of people got into the habit of thinking of Ivysaur as being female and didn't feel like changing their minds just because they butchered the voice in the English version.

2) Really, any given Squirtle, Ivysaur, or Charizard has a one-in-eight chance of being female, none of them display even the slightest bit of sexual dimorphism, and there isn't actually any legitimate reason to assume that Pokemon voices follow the same patterns as human voices in respect to gender. You can call any of them whatever you want and not be wrong. I mean, people call Jigglypuff "he" all the time and nobody complains about that, and Jigglypuff is a lot more feminine than Ivysaur is masculine (mainly owing to its choice in clothing).

3) It's nice to feel like at least ONE new female character got into the game.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Sigh. I'm tired of repeating this myself.

I doubt any of you have watched the Japanese version of Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden, the episode where an Ivysaur was first shown. The Ivysaur (or should I say Fushigisou?) had scratchy voices that weren't exactly feminine. The Japanese version of Brawl has a Fushigisou that sounds like Haruka's (May's) Fushigidane (Bulbasaur), who was female. Supposedly, there was a Famitsu article that had facts about the characters, and confirmed Squirtle and Charizard as male while Ivysaur was female.

With all of these things, I've come to believe that Ivysaur is female in the Japanese version, and male in the English version. Hopefully this issue can be put to rest. -_-;

chubas

Smash Apprentice
Or we can pretend we are breeding our own pokemon, and call them whatever we want. Oh yes, my Charizard is a she.

</discussion>

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Lol, it's so hard to imagine some Pokemon as female...and Ivysaur is one of them. His voice (which is akin of that of a mental patient) is also not very...feminine.

Top Bottom