• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ivysaur As A DLC! - VOTE NOW FOR HIM IN THE SMASH BALLOT!!

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Cut characters left are:
-Wolf
-Pichu
-Young Link
-Snake
-Ice Climbers
-Squirtle
-Ivysaur

I feel like Sakurai is trying to bring back all cut characters if possible. Ice climbers has the limitations with the 3ds and snake is going through some problems with Konami and Metal Hear sadly...

If say everyone cut were to get in down the road we'd have this for the Pokemon roster

-Pikachu
-Charizard
-Lucario
-Greninja
-Jigglypuff
-Mewtwo
-Pichu
-Squirtle
-Ivysaur

9 Pokemon characters. Is this a lot? Yes but SAKURAI DOESNT care if a series Is overrepped(Fire Emblem has 5 reps).

I can easily see Ivysaur making a return alongside Squirtle as solo fighters.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Cut characters left are:
-Wolf
-Pichu
-Young Link
-Snake
-Ice Climbers
-Squirtle
-Ivysaur

I feel like Sakurai is trying to bring back all cut characters if possible. Ice climbers has the limitations with the 3ds and snake is going through some problems with Konami and Metal Hear sadly...

If say everyone cut were to get in down the road we'd have this for the Pokemon roster

-Pikachu
-Charizard
-Lucario
-Greninja
-Jigglypuff
-Mewtwo
-Pichu
-Squirtle
-Ivysaur

9 Pokemon characters. Is this a lot? Yes but SAKURAI DOESNT care if a series Is overrepped(Fire Emblem has 5 reps).

Finally, someone who doesn't think 11 or more DLC characters is too farfetched. :)
Here is my take on the veterans:
  • Wolf is the most obvious choice for DLC.
  • Pichu has Pikachu to use as a template, and then the decloning and balancing process begins. (Sadley for Pichu, decloning and balancing are probably going to be the same thing.
  • Young Link has Link to use as a template. I can see him being a combo based Link as opposed to the power and projectile based ones.
  • Snake has a pretty big fanbase, so I don't think he is down and out just yet.
  • Ice Climbers have the boon of a big fanbase, and being almost completely done before they were cut. I have also created a theory of how to get around the 3Ds limitations based on how Rosalina & Luma, and the Flying Man are able to work in the game.
  • Squirtle was most likely in development before he was cut, as Sakurai was trying to minimalize cut characters. I think he has a pretty good chance.
  • Ivysaur is pretty much in the same boat as Squirtle.
As for how many Pokémon we'd have, I feel like 9 is a good number. It is a lot compared to the other series, but it's not invading the entire roster. And besides, the number of "reps" a series should have should be determined by how many characters have the ability to be very unique, and still represent his or her or its series.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
It's very likely that Squirtle and Ivysaur were worked on on the development of the game, but since they found out that "transformations" wouldn't work due to the 3DS, they decided to just bring Charizard back. I think Charizard was also mentioned in that transformation direct along with Zero Suit Samus and Sheik. I think they left Squirtle and Ivysaur out then for having more characters of other series in there. But I think that the veterans character except maybe Pichu and Young Link have pretty high chances. Wolf, Snake and Ice Climbers due to a big fanbase, and Squirtle and Ivysaur due to their individuality and because they were most likely worked on yet, like I said before.

Still, I want to have every veteran back (just look at my signature). Everyone would be awesome, because you shared good memories with everyone.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Everyone would be awesome, because you shared good memories with everyone.
I agree. Even if the character is not unique, and I think they will change that if Young Link and Pichu get in, you still have that connection with that character. Even if you haven't played Melee, you want to see what these characters are like, because only Dark Pit and arguably Lucina play the same way as their counterparts.
I think we should get all of the Squirtle, Ivysaur, Pichu, Young Link, Ice Climber, and maybe even Snake, and Wolf supporters together.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Ivysaur was my favorite Pokemon from Brawl, we need him back! :D

Ivysaur in Smash is actually female. She has the seed in her bulb like female Venusaur's do.

Back on topic. I feel like every cut character does have a shot at returning.

Pichu can be hella buffed. Play like a Pikchu on crack by being faster and stronger at the cost of being the lightest fighter in Smash and damages herself when attacking. Ultimate glass canon.

Squirtle and Ivysaur would get new down b's and be fitted into Smash 4's engine.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Ivysaur in Smash is actually female. She has the seed in her bulb like female Venusaur's do.
Key word being Venusaur, as we don't know if male Ivysaur loose that seed when they evolve.
Back on topic. I feel like every cut character does have a shot at returning.

Pichu can be buffed. Play like a Pikchu on crack by being faster and stronger at the cost of being the lightest fighter in Smash and damages herself when attacking. Ultimate glass canon.

Squirtle and Ivysaur would get new down b's and be fitted into Smash 4's engine.
Here is what I think:
:pichumelee: He needs some new moves to elongate his range, and get the electricity out of his forward, and down areals. Then he needs his back areal, and his up, down and forward smashes to get some more range, use electricity, and have as much force as Ganondorf's back areal, up, down, and forward smashes. He needs a new neutral special so that it's not electric or more usefull. (I had the idea of giving him Volt Switch) And Thunder needs much more KO power if you hit Pichu with it.
:younglinkmelee: I can see him becoming a combo based character as opposed to the power based :4link:, and the projectile based :4tlink:.
:popo: In theory all Nana needs is Luma's AI and limitations, the ability to be launched farther before going into her tumbling animation, and both Popo and Nana need to be 8-bit on the 3Ds. (They can be in 3D on the Wii U.)
:ivysaur: I think he would benefit from the powder or spore moves. (I say or because DLC fighters don't have customs. :cry:)
:pt: If he joins, he will just act as the random button. Pick him, and it will randomly pick Squirtle, Ivysaur, or Charizard. If you die, then he will pick the next in line as your next stock. This way it's not forced for you to learn them all, and you can just play the one by selecting them. I can see them giving him some victory animations. One of him praising each of his Pokémon.
:snake: I think Smash 4 physics is all he needs.
:squirtle: I would like him to have Water Pulse.
:wolf:Same as Snake

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
It's very likely that Squirtle and Ivysaur were worked on on the development of the game, but since they found out that "transformations" wouldn't work due to the 3DS, they decided to just bring Charizard back.
Imagine 4 people online playing as Pokemon Trainer all using their :GCD::GCB: at once.

Heck imagine 8 Players in 8 Player Smash playing as Pokemon Trainer and Zelda/Shiek all using their :GCD::GCB:
Someone's console would break a leg! :pow:

Yo, here we are. Sadly, we are a pretty small group here...
And I Really don't get why we're so small!
I guess it's because Squirtle and Ivysaur fans aren't as salty and vocal as other fans? Maybe we're just patient?
Maybe because Pokemon Trainer isn't often used in tournaments?
Whatever the reason, this thread deserves a signal boost!

Last edited:

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
...I'd rather have Sceptile.

About Ivysaur, I do not see it happening, but I wouldn't mind it. Although, a fully evolved Pokémon would be more feasible.
:4pikachu:Yes a fully evolved Pokemon would be much more feasible.:4jigglypuff:
This is only in effect when the demand for DLC lowers considerably. At the moment Ivysaur doesn't need to step on anyone to get to the top.
Agreed. If Roy and Lucas didn't step on Ryu being developed, I doubt Ivysaur and Squirtle could step on anyone else

I think it's more due to the fact that Squirtle and Ivysaur weren't that much noticed on Brawl's roster, because they were part of the Pokemon Trainer. And the Pokemon Trainer wasn't really popular too.
Charizard was part of Pokemon Trainer. I can not agree with that.

I think more people should come to all the veterans threads. Snake, Wolf and Ice Climbers have a big fanbase, but Young Link, Pichu, Squirtle and Ivysaur need more help!
I Can agree with this!

Last edited:

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
I think it's more due to the fact that Squirtle and Ivysaur weren't that much noticed on Brawl's roster, because they were part of the Pokemon Trainer. And the Pokemon Trainer wasn't really popular too.

And yep, you're right. I think more people should come to all the veterans threads. Snake, Wolf and Ice Climbers have a big fanbase, but Young Link, Pichu, Squirtle and Ivysaur need more help!

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
And I Really don't get why we're so small!
I guess it's because Squirtle and Ivysaur fans aren't as salty and vocal as other fans? Maybe we're just patient?
Maybe because Pokemon Trainer isn't often used in tournaments?
Well it's because:
We have too many Pokémon/six is the perfect amount, we can't go higher or lower.
Lack of popularity.
Sceptile would be so much better.

I don't share any of these views. I find two out of the three to be stupid.
Snake, Wolf and Ice Climbers have a big fanbase, but Young Link, Pichu, Squirtle and Ivysaur need more help!
Yeah. I think the veterans should stick together.
I can fix it! Combee use Signal Beam! (They probably can't learn that move but whatever.)
More seriously, maybe this will help.

Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo 3Ds/Wii U has the biggest roster yet, but there are some characters missing from the previous game. With DLC, now is the perfect time to get them back. All they need is support!
Wolf
The leader of the rival team: Star Wolf is looking more likely every day! But every supporter counts. :3 http://smashboards.com/threads/cant-let-you-cut-me-sakurai-wolf-for-dlc.324209/page-128
Ice Climbers
These two kids had some trouble working on the 3Ds version, but with the proper adjustments, I believe that SoPo won't be the only way they can rejoin the fight. Let's support a fellow veteran in their darkest hour!
http://smashboards.com/threads/brea...ion-thread-under-new-ownership.324176/page-71
Squirtle
This Pokémon was most likely worked on before, and maybe even after Charizard's reveal. Popularity was the only thing keeping him out then, and it's the only thing keeping him out now. He needs your support now more than ever! http://smashboards.com/threads/squi...-squirtle-in-the-fighter-ballot.380462/page-2
Ivysaur
Ivysaur was cut along side Squirtle because Charizard was more popular. Ivysaur is going to need your help so he can join Squirtle and Charizard back into the fray with a shiny new Down Special!
http://smashboards.com/threads/ivys...-the-smash-ballot.386368/page-6#post-19460373
Snake
Most people think Snake can't get in because he is owned by a third party company that isn't doing well, and that de wouldn't fit the cartooney style of Super Smash Bros. for the 3Ds/Wii U. It's time to show them how wrong they are, and with enough support, anything can happen!
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-solid-snake-for-smash-dlc-thread-new-revamped-op.324205/page-174
Young Link
Young Link was cut back in Brawl, supposedly replaced by Toon Link. It's time to show everyone how different Young Link can be from Toon Link. The dawn of the third day is upon us. This is Young Link's last chance!
http://smashboards.com/threads/dawn...hope-for-moveset-changes-rises.324215/page-12
Pichu
This poor Pokémon has been the center of hate for years. Not only was he a Pikachu clone, but he hurt himself when using an electric attack. But now that Sakurai has shown us that he is willing to put work into the clone veterans, Pichu has a chance to become something better, and more unique. All he needs is the support!
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...n-under-new-ownership-vote-now.324198/page-14
Now is our time! Let's get our veterans Back!

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
Wolf
The leader of the rival team: Star Wolf is looking more likely every day! But every supporter counts. :3 http://smashboards.com/threads/cant-let-you-cut-me-sakurai-wolf-for-dlc.324209/page-128
Ice Climbers
These two kids had some trouble working on the 3Ds version, but with the proper adjustments, I believe that SoPo won't be the only way they can rejoin the fight. Let's support a fellow veteran in their darkest hour!
http://smashboards.com/threads/brea...ion-thread-under-new-ownership.324176/page-71
Squirtle
This Pokémon was most likely worked on before, and maybe even after Charizard's reveal. Popularity was the only thing keeping him out then, and it's the only thing keeping him out now. He needs your support now more than ever! http://smashboards.com/threads/squi...-squirtle-in-the-fighter-ballot.380462/page-2
Ivysaur
Ivysaur was cut along side Squirtle because Charizard was more popular. Ivysaur is going to need your help so he can join Squirtle and Charizard back into the fray with a shiny new Down Special!
http://smashboards.com/threads/ivys...-the-smash-ballot.386368/page-6#post-19460373
Snake
Most people think Snake can't get in because he is owned by a third party company that isn't doing well, and that de wouldn't fit the cartooney style of Super Smash Bros. for the 3Ds/Wii U. It's time to show them how wrong they are, and with enough support, anything can happen!
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-solid-snake-for-smash-dlc-thread-new-revamped-op.324205/page-174
Young Link
Young Link was cut back in Brawl, supposedly replaced by Toon Link. It's time to show everyone how different Young Link can be from Toon Link. The dawn of the third day is upon us. This is Young Link's last chance!
http://smashboards.com/threads/dawn...hope-for-moveset-changes-rises.324215/page-12
Pichu
This poor Pokémon has been the center of hate for years. Not only was he a Pikachu clone, but he hurt himself when using an electric attack. But now that Sakurai has shown us that he is willing to put work into the clone veterans, Pichu has a chance to become something better, and more unique. All he needs is the support!
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-cute-baby-pokémon-the-melee-underdog-pichu-for-dlc-discussion-under-new-ownership-vote-now.324198/page-14
Now is our time! Let's get our veterans Back!
So do we just paste this all over other support threads?
Especially on the veterans that made it back threads?

I've put it on the Pichu and Young Link threads. I wasn't sure about the rest because they either have no active members (Squirtle) or may get mad at me for posting a "vote for this character" on another character's thread. You're welcome to put it on the other veteran's threads though.
Done.
I got my vinegar chips ready, because here comes a lot of salt...

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
So do we just paste this all over other support threads?
Especially on the veterans that made it back threads?
I've put it on the Pichu and Young Link threads. I wasn't sure about the rest because they either have no active members (Squirtle) or may get mad at me for posting a "vote for this character" on another character's thread. You're welcome to put it on the other veteran's threads though.

D

Deleted member

Cut characters left are:
-Wolf
-Pichu
-Young Link
-Snake
-Ice Climbers
-Squirtle
-Ivysaur

-Pikachu
-Charizard
-Lucario
-Greninja
-Jigglypuff
-Mewtwo
-Pichu
-Squirtle
-Ivysaur

The great thing about DLC characters is you can make the argument that they're just extra anyway, so who cares how many there are from each series, you know? If all 9 of the Pokemon appeared in this game, all I can say is...how awesome would that be?!? Before Roy came back I never would have thought it would happen, and most people would have said he didn't deserve to come back. But now that he's in the game, it feels great. GREAT. I've really been enjoying playing as him and who effing cares that it's another Fire Emblem rep or another Marth clone? He's a fun character and a Smash veteran. Bring them all back, I say!!

IVYSAUR

^Brawl Artwork From Brawl 2008

UPDATE!! : VOTE FOR IVYSAUR NOW IN THE SMASH BROS FIGHTER BALLOT!!
https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/us/

Facebook group to discuss about this :
https://m.facebook.com/groups/988229497878718?ref=bookmarks

Ivysaur Is A Veteran Of Super Smash Bros Brawl who have a ton of fans who havent been included in the newest edition of Super Smash Brothers.

^By @Codex9

FREQUENTS OBJETIONS

Too many Pokemon characters!!!!
*points for the mario series (7 Chars)

Ivy Is A Trophy!
*And Mewtwo?

Why is ivysaur deserving? He isn't popular
*Besides, Ivysaur would be the same as a starter grass type, since we already have Charizard (Fire) and Greninja (Water). Ivysaur would be the grass type one.

MOVESET FROM BRAWL

^Thanks SSBWiki

SUPPORTERS
( Comment To Add You c: )
@ BoN~ BoN~
@Freduardo
@Kevandre[/USE]
@[USER=219323]Ben Holt

@Spatman
@Swampasaur
@ Grizzlpaw Grizzlpaw
@KenithTheGatherer
@Masonomace
@FalKoopa
@Mewtwo
@legendofrob1
@oni333
@NeoHippie41
@KimKarsmashian
@Arcadenik
@Jiggly
@Luigifan18
@ SMAASH! Puppy SMAASH! Puppy
@L2 Sentinel
@Twin Shot
@PhazonCorruptedSquirtle
@Rockaphin
@PokémonSpears
@neoREgen
@Vsaur
@Braydon
@ Nauzgo Nauzgo
@VioletScarlett
@Putuk
@Princess Toady
@Homelessvagrant
@Sonsa
@Arbok9782
@Xevious 1
@BobEugCox
@JackerX
Any Idea?

Leave your thoughts in the comment section!

A few ideas were taken from this:
http://smashboards.com/threads/squirtle-drowns-the-competition.380462/
^highly recommended! [/USER]
Please add me to the supporters list.

Here is my ballot vote. I had more to say but I condensed the best stuff I could into 500 characters.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Please add me to the supporters list.

Here is my ballot vote. I had more to say but I condensed the best stuff I could into 500 characters.

"Middle evolution...has no representation"
:4pikachu::4jigglypuff:that's not true unfortunately, also the Ivysaur was a "she" :p
Honestly I thought Ivysaur was the most fun out of the 3, put me on the supporters list!

:4pikachu::4jigglypuff:that's not true unfortunately, also the Ivysaur was a "she" :p
Honestly I thought Ivysaur was the most fun out of the 3, put me on the supporters list!
My b, I thought of Pikachu minutes after my vote and felt bad about it. They are still basics in the TCG and picked up those evolutions in gen 2 as baby Pokemon that require certain items to even breed, so I still think Ivysaur is pretty solid representation for the middle ground, especially since she'd appeal to a lot of gen 1 fans who experienced Pika/Puff as basics.

D

Deleted member

Ivysaur can be whatever gender you want it to be. Apparently in Japan, the its voice is feminine, but that doesn't hold up in English.

D

Deleted member

No Sakurai officially stated it was female somewhere
Even if he did (which I doubt), it would be hard for him to prove it to me. Peach is clearly female. I suppose Shulk is male. But Pokemon? Genders don't look different at all. And if we're going off of voice, Ivysaur sounds male in our localization.

Last edited by a moderator:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Even if he did (which I doubt), it would be hard for him to prove it to me. Peach is clearly female. I suppose Shulk is male. But Pokemon? Genders don't look different at all. And if we're going off of voice, Ivysaur sounds male in our localization.
You suppose? lol. (Pictures Shulk as a girl in his own game.) That would be very awkward considering his relationships with the other characters in the game.
(Also, why does it say you quoted my post?)

Last edited:

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Give me the source.
Huh, I was so sure it was officially stated but apparently people accepted Ivysaur as a girl through the Japanese voice Actress. Nevermind then, but I'll still consider Ivysaur a girl myself.

Shog

Smash Ace
Pokemon Gender

Female
Male

pistil=female
no pistil = male

This shows how definitely Pikachu is Male for example! Jigglypuff should be female simply due to the female protagonist hats
Ivysaur depends on if a pistil can be seen(original sprites doesn't have them obviously, but since the evolution has it...well it would make sense no?)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Female
Male

pistil=female
no pistil = male

This shows how definitely Pikachu is Male for example! Jigglypuff should be female simply due to the female protagonist hats
Ivysaur depends on if a pistil can be seen(original sprites doesn't have them obviously, but since the evolution has it...well it would make sense no?)
Yes and no. Some animals have a trait, and loose it when they get older. For example, a tadpole looses it's tail. Male Ivysaur could loose the pistil when they evolve into a Venusaur, and the female Ivysaur's pistil grows larger when it evolves. Since we don't know how this works, we can't really say what gender it is.
(By the way your female Pikachu is shiny.)

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
@ SMAASH! Puppy SMAASH! Puppy Metamorphosis isn't a trait, furthermore sexual dimorphism exists in the Pokemon Universe, that is my point. Venusaur has it two, so if in whatever case Ivysaur's visible, it is female. Otherwise male (except obviously what the creators expected)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
@ SMAASH! Puppy SMAASH! Puppy Metamorphosis isn't a trait, furthermore sexual dimorphism exists in the Pokemon Universe, that is my point. Venusaur has it two, so if in whatever case Ivysaur's visible, it is female. Otherwise male (except obviously what the creators expected)
I don't know what the heck sexual dimorphism is (or what you meant by that whole reply) so let's just agree to disagree.

D

Deleted member

But I still see no indication that Ivysaur in Smash is female. In our localization, it makes more sense for it to be male.

EDIT: From Bulbapedia, here's a list of the Pokemon that display sexual dimorphism. Ivysaur's not on the list, so from its appearance we have no way to know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Ivysaur was the first grass pokmeon in smash history!

And she has a chance to be better than ever with the new ledge mechanics. C'mon sakurai, you have to release her!

BoN~

Smash Cadet
NNID
Riskyx
3DS FC
4742-7971-2374
Guys,Im Updating the thread now!

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Guys,Im Updating the thread now!
I have an idea for the OP. I don't think any of your arguments are very convincing. (Except for the trophy one, but that isn't really said anymore.)
I think instead of:
*points for the mario series (7 Chars)
You should put something like "The franchise should not determine what character would be a good DLC option" because the majority thinks we have too many Mario characters as well. I don't think it would be the most influential of counter arbuments, but I think it would be better than saying we have a lot of Mario "reps".
Also instead of:
*Besides, Ivysaur would be the same as a starter grass type, since we already have Charizard (Fire) and Greninja (Water). Ivysaur would be the grass type one.
You should put...Um...I got nothin'. Sorry. I would say to put something along the lines of "Some people like the character, and if he was DLC, they could play him again/at all." but people don't really care about that. But I don't think the whole "trinity" thing is all that influential either since some people (including me) think that characters should stand on their own merits, not some gimmicky thing. Maybe you could say something about abandoning a unique veteran? I dunno.
You don't have to put these in if you don't want to. They are just suggestions.

BoN~

Smash Cadet
NNID
Riskyx
3DS FC
4742-7971-2374
I have an idea for the OP. I don't think any of your arguments are very convincing. (Except for the trophy one, but that isn't really said anymore.)
I think instead of:

You should put something like "The franchise should not determine what character would be a good DLC option" because the majority thinks we have too many Mario characters as well. I don't think it would be the most influential of counter arbuments, but I think it would be better than saying we have a lot of Mario "reps".
Also instead of:

You should put...Um...I got nothin'. Sorry. I would say to put something along the lines of "Some people like the character, and if he was DLC, they could play him again/at all." but people don't really care about that. But I don't think the whole "trinity" thing is all that influential either since some people (including me) think that characters should stand on their own merits, not some gimmicky thing. Maybe you could say something about abandoning a unique veteran? I dunno.
You don't have to put these in if you don't want to. They are just suggestions.

Thread Updated :^)

Top Bottom