• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ITT people who know a lot about various musical instruments help me out

Hai Im Fearless

Smash Lord
so I have a $500 - 1k spending limit for christmas

I would just get a guitar or bass, but I want to learn something relatively unique. I play piano and trumpet currently and I dabble with guitar. I'm also a percussionist.

Ideally, I want some type of stringed instrument where it sits in front of you parallel to the ground and you tap the strings on the fret to make the noise. I don't know if this sort of thing exists, though.

I also want to look into some cool percussion instruments... like a hang drum

I hardly sleep and have nothing to do from the hours of 2am - 10am when there's no smash and everyone else is sleeping. Also I have a scrip of adderall now and want to be focused on something more productive than FFR.

KeeLime

Smash Rookie
If your learning toward what Flat Soda suggested you should then get that or a lap guitar. I would not recommend bass, but you can get what I think is the best guitar on the market for about 700$, the schecter c1 classic. I've played almost every single guitar brand and model, nothing compares to the C1 Classic except for the Fender American Stratocaster, which is $3000+ and partially limited in certain sound qualities; or some prs guitars, which are probably better but cost between $3000-$5000.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Yeah, steel guitar or dobro fits the bill you have up there, pretty well...

Didn't know you played, though... pretty awesome. +1 musician smashers.

Hang drum is pretty sweet, actually... didn't hear of it before.

Anyways, your roomie is gonna love you, eh?

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
If your learning toward what Flat Soda suggested you should then get that or a lap guitar. I would not recommend bass, but you can get what I think is the best guitar on the market for about 700$, the schecter c1 classic. I've played almost every single guitar brand and model, nothing compares to the C1 Classic except for the Fender American Stratocaster, which is $3000+ and partially limited in certain sound qualities; or some prs guitars, which are probably better but cost between $3000-$5000.
is it this one:
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item...0HAMS0000&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed&

?

i'm wary of things priced like this, what do you think? It's listed here for just $500 which is just like the price of schecter damien 6 which I was strongly considering.

Do you have an opinion on the Damien 6 compared to C1 classic?

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
is it this one:
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item...0HAMS0000&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed&

?

i'm wary of things priced like this, what do you think? It's listed here for just $500 which is just like the price of schecter damien 6 which I was strongly considering.

AMS is legit. I've gotten stuff from them before...

Musiciansfriend.com is an incredible place, too... Got a (actually very impressive) guitar with a mandolin for $100 from them. It's no martin, but for the price, it's really good.

Can't comment really on the C1 or Damien 6 either way... I have a strat, so never played them.

vZakat

Half Genie
If you want a really cool percussion instrument I'd go with the vibraphone. I play it and it is by for my favorite percussion instrument. It's more of a jazz instrument though so if you aren't big into jazz it might not be the best for you.

Here's a little solo by burton, one of the best vibes players ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZt7VySrAEE

KeeLime

Smash Rookie
is it this one:

?

I can't believe they are this cheap now, I got mine 3 years ago for $680. Well they are made in Korea which is like the only country other the the usa you want to have a guitar made in. The Classic is in my opinion all around the best guitar that exists; outside of a custom made guitar, no matter how much money I had I would still use this one mainly. It's cheap, versatile( No other guitar can switch between single and hum on treble and bass pick ups) Durable (It's rare that preforming musicians don't have a back up, because of this guitar many performers leave their backup at home) and as you can see, beautiful.

Edit: Classic is my favorite because of the style, but any upper end C-1 is good. I didn't like the diamond series or Damiensss. Exotic is probably the best guitar they make, but it's not worth the up charge imo.

Pritch

Smash Lord
If you want a really cool percussion instrument I'd go with the vibraphone. I play it and it is by for my favorite percussion instrument. It's more of a jazz instrument though so if you aren't big into jazz it might not be the best for you.

Here's a little solo by burton, one of the best vibes players ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZt7VySrAEE
Gary burton is in fact the ****. Hadn't heard that clip, that's pretty badass. Man can play the blues.

If you're into him you should also check out basically anything he's played with chick corea. Some of the best music I've heard.

*EDIT* I may be way off base here as I'm not a vibes player by any stretch of the imagination, but isn't hoping to find any kind of half decent vibes on a $500-1k budget a pipe dream?

vZakat

Half Genie
isn't hoping to find any kind of half decent vibes on a $500-1k budget a pipe dream?
Yeah, I was suggesting the instrument more than the price (I totally forgot there was a price range XD). Unless you score big on ebay you're going to be paying at least 2k for one. And the nicer vibes can easily go for 4k to 8k depending where you get it and shipping and all that.

Burton and Corea are a pretty epic duo but Milt Jackson has always been my favorite vibes player.

Top Bottom