• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's happenin' - Tourney in Boone, NC (ASU), January 24th

Sengin

Smash Ace
UPDATE: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=207402 <- check here for tourney info

So after seeing all the tournaments far south of here and a couple hours East, I decided to try to start a tournament going on in Boone (West NC, almost TN). We have a nice huge Student Union here and we also have a Gaming Club. The thing is, most Saturdays are taken (right now only April 25th is untaken, but others are possible depending on people). There is a main room that can hold up to 200 people, but is sectioned off into 3 parts so that we can use only 2/3 if needed and increase likelihood of getting it on a Saturday. First question: Are there people who would be willing to come to a tournament that started on a Sunday at 10-11AM and ended at 11PM, or would a Saturday be much better for most people?

I will try to do a melee and brawl tournament, and there will be approximately 13 TVs/projectors available to start with. We would definitely need wiis/cubes and copies of brawl/melee (and mem card), but have plenty of space for more TV's to make this event huge.

Other things to note: there are a couple of places to eat very nearby (0-2 minute walking distance), plenty of places to eat 10 minutes walking distance, and many others sub-10 minutes driving distance. The room is huge, supports lots of TV's and people, and depending on the amount of interest generated, we can have decent prizes (it cost about $150 to rent out the room).

How many people would be interested? The sooner I get responses, the sooner I can reserve the room, and perhaps even the sooner we can have it (and possibly to have more tournaments).

Interested so far:
l0zR
DUB (plus 9+)
mr.fizwidget
stingers
ph00t-bag
NC-Echo(?)

Current possible dates:
1/24 - very likely
4/25 - or this to be the second one

Most likely to be 1/24 and possibly 4/25

Sengin

Smash Ace
I take it from your location you are from Hickory? We could also get together to just have some 1v1s, you know. And I am certainly trying to make this happen. It would be AWESOME. I'm looking at dates now, hopefully there'll be enough spaces on Saturdays.

Also, if anyone is EVER in the boone area and wants to smash, just let me know, and I may be able to play some. There aren't many people that go to ASU that play smash competitively. And by "aren't many" I mean me. And one other guy who kinda sorta does, but not really.

EDIT: Updated the first post.

Please let me know if you are interested, as we need to figure out cost, prizes, and other things in advance (we can't split the money up based on the number of people that arrive because that would be "gambling" and isn't allowed on campus, plus it costs $150 to rent the room). So we'd need at LEAST enough people to collect about $300 ($150 for the room and around another $150 for prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd).

DUB

Smash Lord
12/6 PLUR is holding a tourney I know a lot of NC smash has commited too Sengin. Also theres another bi-weekly that a lot of the Raliegh area is commited too on Saturdays. If you could alternate saturdays with that tourney you'd have nice turn-out I'd imagine.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Wait Stingers, if you're close, then am I close? I think Boone is pretty far from me lol.

Anyway, I may be able to make the second one, whenever that is, but probably not the first.

mr.fizwidget

Smash Champion
i am interested in any and every smash tourny in nc. however, i assume that dub has already counted me in his 10+ estimation.

10+ all from southern pines=too good

Sengin

Smash Ace
Are there any more people interested in coming? I figured more people would want to play than a couple.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
I'm interested. Why didn't I see this thread before?

Also, at some point, you should advertise this to people in Tennessee, VA, and maybe Kentucky. Not to mention your own school, and whatnot.

Sengin

Smash Ace
Also, at some point, you should advertise this to people in Tennessee, VA, and maybe Kentucky. Not to mention your own school, and whatnot.
TN is in the same region on these boards as NC, so they've already seen it (I mean hell, Boone it literally 15 minutes away from Eastern TN). And when I get a date set, I'll post in the Atlantic North boards to get VA to know about it. And I will let my school now about it, though there won't be many that'll show up.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
If it's not 12/6, I'd probably be able to go, especially if others from the Wake County area are interested. I don't know what my schedule is like very far in advance, but I'll keep this in mind.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
12/6 is my Mom's B-Day so I can't hit up plur's tourney either :/ it's gay

just make this in january

Sengin

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'm trying. 12/6 is too early for any big tournament. I'm shooting for Jan., gotta try to talk to the guy who runs the Chapel Hill tournaments so we can figure something out.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
That''d be NC-Echo and Lord Karn.

They're supposed to be Biweeklies but they have a very decent turnout and happen like once a month, so just consider them normal tournaments lol...PM them I guess.

Sengin

Smash Ace
Alright, thanks. I'd like to get it coordinated with them so that there's not 2 weekends in a row of tournaments, we'd probably lose some people what with work or other plans or something.

Sengin

Smash Ace
Ok, so I guess some people are complaining that this would probably be on the 24th, which is the week after Tipped Off 4. So, post (and quickly, please) the answers to this question:

Would you come if it's on 1/24?

If there's going to be like no turnout, then it'll have to wait until APRIL 25th. (Maybe 1/31, but unlikely as there'll very likely be a LAN that day).

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Can't do 1/24.

Maybe can do April 25. AP exams are close to that time, so I'd be studying then. More likely for me regardless.

null55

Smash Master
Saturdays are great for me, but stuff always comes up, so I really can't give a definitive answer. I can always say that I can make a tourney that's two months away, but I'm not really sure. It's better than Sunday though.

Sengin

Smash Ace
Awesome. One more is always good in this case. I still need more people though.

Foxy

Smash Master
I will definitely go to this. The venue sounds fantastic!

I'll probably bring three people with me, as usual.

A saturday is certainly best for me, because often it's hard to be able to stay out late on a school night. I'm sure most people share the same circumstances. Also, it gives people a day to recover/finish things before the week starts (if they get worn out from smash or whatever).

I sure hope that this gets a lot more attention, especially from Melee players!

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
I will definitely go to this. The venue sounds fantastic!

I'll probably bring three people with me, as usual.

A saturday is certainly best for me, because often it's hard to be able to stay out late on a school night. I'm sure most people share the same circumstances. Also, it gives people a day to recover/finish things before the week starts (if they get worn out from smash or whatever).

I sure hope that this gets a lot more attention, especially from Melee players!
Is one of the guys you brought Fuzz or Fuzzy or whatever he called himself? I beat him in Melee, but he has potential.

Can't do 1/24.

Maybe can do April 25. AP exams are close to that time, so I'd be studying then. More likely for me regardless.
Same here, parent johns since it would be right after TO4.

Sengin

Smash Ace
Yes, definitely separate from the AppalachLANs.

Thanks for your support! This is very likely going to happen. I need a little more info though: What events would you participate in? There is definitely going to be melee singles, but what about brawl singles? Or melee doubles or brawl doubles? From what I can tell, the most interest seems to be in melee singles and brawl doubles, so that'll probably be what happens. But before I do anything concrete, I want to make sure that's what most people like.

onlymaskde

Smash Lord
As long as I'm here at the time (I may be in CT by January and later), I'll try to get a ride to this, given that it would be on a Saturday.

I would participate in Melee singles, more than likely Melee doubles, and maybe Brawl doubles if I feel like it.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Yeah, he's one of my two friends who like Melee but don't know any AT's or anything. They're pretty good though for being new to the stuff.
Teach him how to counter-pick, and not be obvious. I was Fox, and I'd just ***** his Jiggz on DL64, so he goes Peach and counter-picks to FD.

Sengin

Smash Ace
Foxy, LoZR, and everyone else: opinions on having two events, melee singles and brawl doubles. Yes? No? Should there be melee doubles and/or brawl singles? I need this quickly, I can probably get this official next week.

Foxy

Smash Master
I think that there should DEFINITELY be both Melee singles and doubles. I am a gigantic fan of both and will certainly enter. All three of my friends, should they all come, will enter singles, and most of us should be in doubles.

Brawl doubles I'm fine with, I'd play in it. If the venue and people are cool enough I might even play Brawl singles, but don't count on it. I hate tournament Brawl. However, my three friends I think all do Brawl singles, so that's something to note.

I'd say definitely Melee singles and doubles and Brawl doubles, and probably Brawl singles.

Sengin

Smash Ace
I'm just wondering because of time contraints and money. We need to have the money in the Gaming Club account beforehand (really ******** student union rules - we pay for the room and the prizes, which are determined beforehand, and they take the entry fee, then a couple weeks later they will count it and mail the Gaming Club a check). We don't have too much money right now, so it'll probably only be 2 events: melee singles and one other. I was thinking Brawl doubles to get more people to come (that way we can have both games represented). But if brawl singles will have a better turnout than doubles, I might do that (though I much prefer melee over brawl).

If this one does very well and has an awesome turnout (which I think it will), then the next time we'll have more money and be able to do more tournaments, money-wise.

ArowYoshi

Smash Apprentice
Appalachian State University/ West Jefferson, NC
well i know i totaly suck at melee, so it doesnt matter to me what those are going to be. i may still play just for kicks and giggles but im not expecting anything. im leaning towards brawl singles personally but we can most likely hold both singles and doubles because doubles usually dont last very long and if we have enough sets then we might squeez in both tourneys, ill bring a set if you dont mind, but its quite a treck up to the student union what with all the stairs and stuff. iss there a closer place to park other than the Appalcart stop?

Sengin

Smash Ace
is there a closer place to park other than the Appalcart stop?
Which appalcart stop? There's one very very close to the student union. Also, on Saturdays you can park in the parking deck by the student union and library for free.

Top Bottom