• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's-a-me! Mario! Wait, it's not Mario, it's Jumpman! New OP that's not horrible!

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Thought you guys might like this. Another "Jumpman" game called Donkey Kong Circus

And this is an interesting video about Mario's darker side. (Where I found out about the game)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
So I watched the whole video, I didn't really know I was killing a Toad every time I crushed a brick. We should start a riot soon. :troll:
Kidding aside, I'm now really interested in having Jumpman, I think Sakurai could get the villain out of Jumpman if he's planned for the game.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
This could be the plot for Jumpman being in Smash Bros:

You see that other Mario hoisting up DK in the intro for Donkey Kong Jr? Well that was Mario's decoy, also known as Jumpman. Mario never wanted to hurt Donkey Kong or Donkey Kong Junior, and simply wanted to contain the two apes for their journey home to Donkey Kong Country. But Jumpman was tired of being in his idol's shadow, and began to show some violent tendencies. He tied up Mario, shoved Donkey Kong into a tiny cage, and tries to kill Donkey Kong Junior while disguised as Mario. After that event, Jumpman went into hiding, until he hears of the new Smash Bros tournament, where he hopes to kick Mario's pimply Italian ass.

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
Sakurai could instead include Mario from the Super Mario Bros Super Show, who could alternate between his real life and cartoon forms.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
This could be the plot for Jumpman being in Smash Bros:

You see that other Mario hoisting up DK in the intro for Donkey Kong Jr? Well that was Mario's decoy, also known as Jumpman. Mario never wanted to hurt Donkey Kong or Donkey Kong Junior, and simply wanted to contain the two apes for their journey home to Donkey Kong Country. But Jumpman was tired of being in his idol's shadow, and began to show some violent tendencies. He tied up Mario, shoved Donkey Kong into a tiny cage, and tries to kill Donkey Kong Junior while disguised as Mario. After that event, Jumpman went into hiding, until he hears of the new Smash Bros tournament, where he hopes to kick Mario's pimply Italian ***.
Or maybe Mario could twist his head in 360 degrees and turn into Jumpman. :troll:

"It's-a-me! Mario! Wait, it's not Mario, it's Jumpman!"

No, it's still Mario.

With a much more abusing mood than you think.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Just because Jumpman is Mario doesn't mean Sakurai will dismiss the idea you know. >.>
No, it doesn't.
It means that Sakurai has never even considered the idea.
So many retro characters had trophies in Melee. Did Jumpman?
Mario was even said to be Jumpman in his trophy description!
I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but I'm saying that I doubt the thought has even come to Sakurai's mind.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Jumpman doesn't really have to have a trophy or any kind of content really in order to be considered.
The point is that Jumpman can be considered, even if he is Mario, Sakurai can make the ol villainous version of Mario with creative thought put into it.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Not all characters that are popularly requested means they are in the game already. I think he has said before in one Brawl journal that having only popular characters in the roster doesn't really get him excited. He may pick Cranky and Jumpman over K. Rool and Dixie, you never know what direction he'll go for the DK franchise.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Not all characters that are popularly requested means they are in the game already. I think he has said before in one Brawl journal that having only popular characters in the roster doesn't really get him excited. He may pick Cranky and Jumpman over K. Rool and Dixie, you never know what direction he'll go for a franchise.
I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm saying that it will be extremely disappointing to a strong majority of the Smash fanbase.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm saying that it will be extremely disappointing to a strong majority of the Smash fanbase.
That will happen obviously, but once you see the character in action, you might change your mind. :awesome:
Rosalina's inclusion actually changed my views on her before, before they were pretty much blabbers like "It's too late for her to become playable" and Galaxy games apparently not significant enough to the Mario franchise". Now I really like Rosalina's moveset to this day.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I understand the premise of this thread, but Jumpman was simply Mario's name before he was Mario.

Ganon was originally Gannon. Peach was Princess Toadstool in the west. Names get retconned sometimes.

Mario's signature aspect is jumping, hence the emphasis in every Mario game. Mario's Up-Special is essentially Jumpman's jump.

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
I can't believe this topic is still active. What is even happening here?

I'm not saying it's a bad idea
I am. I will say it for you. This is a bad idea. I feel like people are so desperate to try and predict whatever crazy retro choice Sakurai might go with that they're willing to consider absolutely anything, and to a degree, that makes sense, but this is where I have to draw the line. No offense to any of the supporters, of course, but... c'mon, guys... really? Really? I truly, in my heart of hearts, want to believe this is all one big troll. You guys... you guys are all just joking, right? D: I have to assume that you are all only taking it semi-seriously, at least, or else my brain might explode XD Ah well, if you're having fun with the idea, then more power to ya, I guess.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I can't believe this topic is still active. What is even happening here?

I am. I will say it for you. This is a bad idea. I feel like people are so desperate to try and predict whatever crazy retro choice Sakurai might go with that they're willing to consider absolutely anything, and to a degree, that makes sense, but this is where I have to draw the line. No offense to any of the supporters, of course, but... c'mon, guys... really? Really? I truly, in my heart of hearts, want to believe this is all one big troll. You guys... you guys are all just joking, right? D: I have to assume that you are all only taking it semi-seriously, at least, or else my brain might explode XD Ah well, if you're having fun with the idea, then more power to ya, I guess.
I'm pretty sure that most of us are only semi-serious when responding to this thread. I am, at least.

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
Dear god I hope so.

Back-reading this thread, I see a page or 2 of it aren't even really about Jumpman, which explains a bit.

Now, one thing that I do think would be amazing is if all of the characters had retro-skins/sprites for alt-costumes, although I'm sure that would require a lot of effort in terms of adjusting hitboxes and creating skins for non-retro characters, amongst various other things. A man can dream, though!

Spire

III
BRoomer
The retro sprites idea sounds pretty unlikely, just give it to someone who could properly use the 8-bit design like Jumpman or Sheriff that makes them distinct.
Jumpman or Sheriff that makes them distinct.
Jumpman or Sheriff
Now there's a fair contender for a retro character. Is your attraction to Jumpman rooted in his <1% chance of getting in the game?

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
While seeing Jumpman in 8-bit form sounds cool on paper, I can see Nintendo just basing his appearance off the DK boxart or something.

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
My retro idea is completely unlikely, but that doesn't mean I want to see a single character get a retro version of himself added under the guise of a "different" character, either XD Sheriff, ok, although I have a hard time imagining them using his sprite. I'm thinking G&W will retain his spot as the only 2D character.

Davidreamcatcha

Smash Ace
If Jumpman were to happen, I'd prefer to see him in a form based on the cabinet art rather than another sprite character.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
this thread was active while I was gone. Holy shiz

Well, take a Revival Herb Jumpman, you deserve it.

So I keep thinking on the possibilities for Jumpman. Barrels, Hammers, Fire Barrels, and I wonder, should I email this idea to Sakurai? Nah, but anyway, keep up the good work Jumpman.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Im an actual jumpman supporter now for some reason... i guess the idea of a wariofed clone of mario sounds just too awesome in general :cool:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
But it's still Mario.
In fact it is the exact same Mario we know and love.
Jumpman is already in Smash Bros. guys.
So because OoT Link was in Melee, we totally didn't get OoT Lik as a kid, right? It would ruin Smash's non-existant canon!

Well, I support, mother****ers!

Last edited:

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I've notice a lot of similarities in the Jumpman debates as I do in the Paper Mario debates. Personally, we only need one Mario for Smash.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Alrighty then, so we have some more stuff that could potentially point the consideration of Jumpman.
We have Dr. Mario, and that's all you guys are going to throw at me that has a good meaning. I go want to point out that there have been as many Marios as there have Links. since Mario is more represented than Zelda, why the **** not wait.

The Blue Mario / Jumpman costume is gone. That's great. We know that Alt costumes do reference old stuff, like Luigi having the color from the japanese-exclusive animated film thing. This is good for us Jumpman supporters because we know they had a reason for taking the inverse-Mario color out. But what that reason is is a mystery.

75m is back. Fantastic. Wrecking Crew stage. Fantastic.

So what to you guys think? Is Jumpman planned or was planned, or do have the people who have posted in this thread think he's still Mario.
So is Doc, he got in the game.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
How does Donkey Kong '94 fit into Jumpman's cannon?

As mega man looks around the stage select screen, he sees Wily's eight new robot masters. Jump Man, Fairy Man, Dinosaur Man, Fox Man, Electric Mouse Man, WoMan (Samus), Puff Man, and Kong Man.

And that's how Mega Man got into Smash brothers.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
A Hanafuda character and Jumpman are pretty much the remaining contenders for a historical character for the next installments now. :p
I don't expect Jumpman as DLC mainly because there's bare demand and no new game starring Mario's villainous form. I'd just wait 7 years for him to happen IMO.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
TBH I've given up on Jumpman as well. I'm just trying to postpone him. I'll wait until Smash for the Wii W (get it, Double-U, like Wii U, complicated) and the Nintendo 4Ds until I can give our inverse overall villain plumber a new shot at the roster.

I'm closing off this discussion until something pops up, etc.
Someone lock this until further notice (please?)

Top Bottom