• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

It's-a-me! Mario! Wait, it's not Mario, it's Jumpman! New OP that's not horrible!

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Yup, Mario is going back to Jumpman

Prepare for E3 2014, people!

Wait a second, who now?
Jumpman. Mr. Video. The original Mario.
Jumpman is known today as Mario. The famous video game character for his innovative games, 200 games, and iconic game library. So you may think this is a thread for Mario. Well... It isn't. Jumpman has an entirely different appearance and personality. For starters the stache. Also, the fact he has a personality you may not expect from the plumber "But that's just a theory." Jumpman's appearances include;

Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Circus

And that's it. 2 games may not seem like much, but has that stopped Lucas? Snake on Nintendo consoles? No. Another argument is that he's Mario. Dr. Mario, Toon Link, Young Link, and to an extent the Miis.
So what can he do?
Well, he can use his hammer.
And barrels.
And oil drums.
And pineapples.
And fire.
His moves don't vary far from this canonically, though if they were to make a move set, they could pull from Pac-Man in that he uses characters from the game, and that he uses the 8-bit sprites for the moves. A counter move using Pauline, a chest pounding Retro DK, and a Hammer Bash to the head are all plausible moves.

The Jumpmen

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Mashiro said he's looking at retro characters for the roster, so Jumpman isn't an impossibility. We've already seen 1 retro guy, Mega Man. So that's why I did Jumpman.
Mega Man isn't retro.

Of course, his look is based on his NES appearance, but that doesn't make him retro.

ON TOPIC: He would make for a wonderful assist trophy.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
This...

This actually seems like something that could work.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Y'know, I'm actually totally okay with this possibility. And I think Sakurai would be too.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Mega Man isn't retro.

Of course, his look is based on his NES appearance, but that doesn't make him retro.
Uh huh, and he hasn't had another game released to the public in forever. Sure, Street Fighter X Mega Man released on PC in 2012, but the Mega Man franchise on console hasn't got anything since 2002. That's technically retro.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I was excited when I saw this because when I was super young, I used to play the game Jumpman.

Of course, that's not really the Jumpman you're referring to... Oh well.

This just seems like alt-costume territory. Or, rather, just a color swap.

@Staff o' Smash:
The last game with classic Mega Man was released in 2010.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Man_10

CalumG

Smash Lord
So am I the only one who thinks that the idea is horrible?
You are not alone friend, I think the idea is atrocious. Just goes to show though that even the most absymal idea can have a passable moveset made for it.

I wouldn't mind seeing Jumpman in 2D form as an assist trophy, but there are dozens more unique Mario character ideas (and DK character ideas if you count Jumpman as part of that series) as well as an absolute goldmine of retro characters that could bring more to the table than Jumpman could. And heck, even if they wanted to include a second version of Mario (since they love doing that with Link), Paper Mario and Doc Mario would surely both get priority over Jumpman - after all, Paper Mario's also got a hammer and exists in 2 dimensions, so what could Jumpman offer that he couldn't?

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
You are not alone friend, I think the idea is atrocious. Just goes to show though that even the most absymal idea can have a passable moveset made for it.

I wouldn't mind seeing Jumpman in 2D form as an assist trophy, but there are dozens more unique Mario character ideas (and DK character ideas if you count Jumpman as part of that series) as well as an absolute goldmine of retro characters that could bring more to the table than Jumpman could. And heck, even if they wanted to include a second version of Mario (since they love doing that with Link), Paper Mario and Doc Mario would surely both get priority over Jumpman - after all, Paper Mario's also got a hammer and exists in 2 dimensions, so what could Jumpman offer that he couldn't?
Jumpman's fatter, has slightly better jumping capabilities, and is much more retro than Paper Mario. Just because Paper Mario has more moves than Jumpman doesn't mean Mashiro wants him in more. Mashiro is reviving old characters, not adding in to many famous folks.

Morbi

Scavenger
Jumpman's fatter, has slightly better jumping capabilities, and is much more retro than Paper Mario. Just because Paper Mario has more moves than Jumpman doesn't mean Mashiro wants him in more. Mashiro is reviving old characters, not adding in to many famous folks.
Dr. Mario fits that bill perfectly. Literally... he will bill your insurance after he prescribes some chill pills. Not only that... but he already has veteran status aka a PHD. I think he is probably the better choice... by FAR.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'm PRETTY sure Mashiro said he hated clones and wasn't bringing them back. Sure, Doc wasn't an exact clone, but he was cloney enough to make Mashiro dislike him.
He NEVER said that.

If he disliked Doc, he would never have added him in the first place.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Uh huh, and he hasn't had another game released to the public in forever. Sure, Street Fighter X Mega Man released on PC in 2012, but the Mega Man franchise on console hasn't got anything since 2002. That's technically retro.
Mega Man 9 and 10, released in 2009 and 2010.
Mega Man isn't retro.

ON TOPIC: He would make for a wonderful assist trophy.
I think the feel of Mega Man is definitely retro. The way he moves is exactly like in the nes games. It would be like if they made a version of Link based on LOZ and AoL. He would be considered a retro character in my opinion. And Mega Man is definitely in the same vain.

Jumpman would be a fun character

Neutral: Pauline's Item: jumpman pulls out any number of the bonus items (hat, umbrella, or and throws it randomly. points and damage very upon item.
side special: Hammer. Jumpman strikes the opponent with an overhead hammer smash.
Up Special: Jump! Jumpman over his opponents. if he jumps over an opponent with this move, a number of points falls on them (100, 200 etc). Damage and knockback ranges from how high the number is.
Down Special: Rivet. Jumpman jumps back to create a rivet. this rivet can damage opponent and stop one projectile once.

Final Smash: Hammer Time: Jumpman takes out his hammer for a limited time and can smash his opponent. Additionally, barrels and fire appear out of nowhere and can hit opponents. No high knockback. Mario can smash these with the hammer.
Cant touch this.

CalumG

Smash Lord
...What?

Megaman is not an old character (he still appears in games as recently as 2010), Animal Crossing has been going from early 2000's up until New Leaf (which was released this very year) and Wii Fit Trainer made her debut on the Wii. None of those characters are retro; certainly not in the sense that Pit, Ice Climbers or Mr. Game and Watch were retro.

Sakurai is a big fan of adding retro characters, but I expect he'll acknowledge that there are far better retro characters to add and far better Mario characters too. After all, Jumpman's already in Smash Bros. - his name is Mario. At the end of the day, Mario represents Jumpman, and the Hammer item represents the hammer Jumpman wielded. Jumpman is, for all intents and purposes, already in the game.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Name: Mario
Name: Jumpman
Difference: Yes

Appearance: Mario is a 3D figure with a large nose, black mustache, and a red cap.
Appearance: Jumpman is an 8-bit figure who is fat, has a larger nose, and has a slightly smaller mustache

I could go on for a while.

Now can we stop arguing?

CalumG

Smash Lord
Name: Mario
Name: Jumpman
Look at Mario's trophies in Brawl. Or Melee. Or his character profile in the N64 version. They all list Donkey Kong as his first appearance. Mario and Jumpman are the same person, simple as that. Or at least, they evidently are in the eyes of Sakurai. Stop being condescending, the whole "Difference: Yes" thing isn't funny - it's just incorrect.

Appearance: Mario is a 3D figure with a large nose, black mustache, and a red cap.
Appearance: Jumpman is an 8-bit figure who is fat, has a larger nose, and has a slightly smaller mustache
Jumpman was 8-bit because the technology of the time didn't allow it. He's fatter than Mario is now because Mario was fatter back then - you only need to look at official art of Mario to see that his official look has been getting slimmer from his introduction in DK all the way up 'til now (see this image). His nose was bigger because the technical limitations of the small sprites back then meant they had to exaggerate physical features to make them more prominent to the player.

Jumpman is Mario. It's quite literally as simple as that.

Now can we stop arguing?
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining the facts - Mario is Jumpman. Jumpman is Mario. Why would we need two Mario's in the first place, and if we were to have a second Mario, why wouldn't it be a more unique one (again, like Paper Mario) rather than one like Jumpman where they'll need to fabricate differences based on the technical limitations of the time (as opposed to actual character differences)?

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
This thread is missing something.......oh yeah! The crappy recolor of Mario thats suppose to be Jumpman! :laugh:

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Look at Mario's trophies in Brawl. Or Melee. Or his character profile in the N64 version. They all list Donkey Kong as his first appearance. Mario and Jumpman are the same person, simple as that. Or at least, they evidently are in the eyes of Sakurai. Stop being condescending, the whole "Difference: Yes" thing isn't funny - it's just incorrect.

Jumpman was 8-bit because the technology of the time didn't allow it. He's fatter than Mario is now because Mario was fatter back then - you only need to look at official art of Mario to see that his official look has been getting slimmer from his introduction in DK all the way up 'til now (see this image). His nose was bigger because the technical limitations of the small sprites back then meant they had to exaggerate physical features to make them more prominent to the player.

Jumpman is Mario. It's quite literally as simple as that.

I'm not arguing, I'm explaining the facts - Mario is Jumpman. Jumpman is Mario. Why would we need two Mario's in the first place, and if we were to have a second Mario, why wouldn't it be a more unique one (again, like Paper Mario) rather than one like Jumpman where they'll need to fabricate differences based on the technical limitations of the time (as opposed to actual character differences)?
Jumpman isn't likely at all, but he's a fun throwback. He is Mario, but so is Dr. Mario. I think the characters could be a cool 2D characters retro style like Mr. Game and Watch (but even more retro).

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
Jumpman isn't likely at all, but he's a fun throwback. He is Mario, but so is Dr. Mario. I think the characters could be a cool 2D characters retro style like Mr. Game and Watch (but even more retro).
Paper Mario is Mario. Major point. All the other Marios have the same chance of getting in as Jumpman. As I said earlier, Mashiro likes adding retro characters. Jumpman is retro, therefore having a chance of making a spot on the roster.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Paper Mario is Mario. Major point. All the other Marios have the same chance of getting in as Jumpman. As I said earlier, Mashiro likes adding retro characters. Jumpman is retro, therefore having a chance of making a spot on the roster.
I wouldn't say the same. Other Marios are currently producing games and even have their own franchises. Most of them are also in complete different genres as well. Masahiro has stated that he likes retro characters in that he said "I am planning on doing my best to bring old characters back in Smash Bros." Bringing back. Jumpman has never left, so he would have hard time being considered in this reasoning. In his previous retro adds, Sakurai brought back characters like Pit and Ice Climbers, rather than old versions of others.

I think Jumpman has a better chance as a novelty character.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Paper Mario is Mario. Major point. All the other Marios have the same chance of getting in as Jumpman.
Well that's simply not the case at all - just because they're all different versions of Mario, doesn't mean they all have equal chances. Dr. Mario and Paper Mario both have numerous spin-off games to call their own, an advantage they hold over Jumpman, who is literally just Mario with a hammer:

As I said earlier, Mashiro likes adding retro characters. Jumpman is retro, therefore having a chance of making a spot on the roster.
Sakurai doesn't just add retro characters indiscriminately, he adds them on uniqueness and interesting gameplay mechanics. What interesting gameplay mechanic could Jumpman offer that another incarnation of Mario couldn't?

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
In Donkey Kong, the whole point of the game is to JUMP over DK's barrels. This allows Jumpman to maybe have a good aerial game. Since the whole point of the game is jumping. He can be countered quite easily on the ground, but can counter many characters in the air.

This counts as interesting. At least to me, and most likely some other people.

Speculator

Smash Ace
It's the same character, the design has just evolved. Luigi was originally just a recolored Mario. Can you imagine a whole seperate slot just to represent that? Jumpman is already in SSB, he just has a different set of overalls.

CalumG

Smash Lord
In Donkey Kong, the whole point of the game is to JUMP over DK's barrels. This allows Jumpman to maybe have a good aerial game. Since the whole point of the game is jumping. He can be countered quite easily on the ground, but can counter many characters in the air.

This counts as interesting. At least to me, and most likely some other people.
But surely if anything, Jumpman has awful aerial game (almost making his nickname ironic)? Mario's jumping ability was arguably at its absolute weakest during that game, so I really don't see how that translates.

I don't think I'd necessarily be against Jumpman's inclusion if we were getting, say, a roster of 60+ characters. In fact, 5 or 6 years ago I'd have thought it to be a nice character inclusion (and one to make the fans go 'wtf?' much like they did with Wii Fit Trainer) but at the end of the day, Sakurai has stated that the addition of many newcomers isn't the focus this time around as it was with Brawl. I very much doubt the Mario series will get more than one Newcomer (if it gets any at all) and there's no way anybody could possibly justify putting an interesting-if-completely-redundant character like Jumpman in over far more important Mario characters like Toad or Bowser Jr.

To sum up - it's not that I inherently dislike the idea of Jumpman, but we're dealing with limited character spaces here, and there are dozens more important Mario characters who should get that hypothetical Newcomer position before Jumpman does.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

I really want to know what people got against MEGA MAN 9 and MEGA MAN 10.

They're legit sequels to a legit franchise.

And to top it off, they're top tier games in my book, heck, 10 is probably the best in the series.

People really need to accept that MM9 and 10 exist, despite the graphical "step back". If it's not this, I have no clue why people ignore them, I need to be enlightened on this matter.

On Jumpman: I won't lie, it's not exactly the retro candidates I have in mind, but still a lot better than a lot of things I see. (And I bet he'll have one awesome moveset, as long as it includes barrels!)

.. Would it belong to the MARIO of DONKEY KONG franchise? :D

Dr. Flinn

Smash Cadet
Heh.

So ya, due to his death, Imhad this idea to revive his most successful thread.

Jumpman

Morbi

Scavenger
Heh.

So ya, due to his death, Imhad this idea to revive his most successful thread.

Jumpman
This was his most successful thread? I think I just shed a tear, I will mourn for his family. Sakurai had better put Jumpman in the game, insensitive prick! Doesn't he know that someone died for Jumpman?!

Top Bottom