• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'm thinking of playing TBS again over this next week.

Anyone have any ideas on challenges or whatnot I should set for myself?
Well, I did a "No Djinn Swap" run.
pholtos pholtos did a "Psynergy Only" run.

Here are some other challenge ideas.

"No Djinn" run: You must keep your Djinn on Standby, whenever possible (some bosses use your standby Djinn as summons, meaning the djinn eventually set themselves).
"Basic Attack only" run: You can only use the Attack and Defend commands, no Psynergy, Djinn or Summons allowed (this will probably be a nightmare)
"Single character" run: You must keep everyone but a specific character dead.

You could also just play Golden Sun normally, I guess... maybe experiment with Djinn Set-ups to find a Team set-up that works for you.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Basic Attack Only wouldn't be that hard, since some unleashes are just plain OP.
Healing will probably be the hardest if even item are forbidden.
Edit: Utility Psynergy Only. You fight using only psynergies available in the overworld. Now Slap, Crush etc will be useful in DD

Regarding Xenoblade, i feel like Golden Sun remake/4 could learn a bit from it, maybe. The whole exploration part of it is wonderful, even if i never finished the first one the sights were beautiful. And that was on wii for **** sakes xD

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Basic Attack Only wouldn't be that hard, since some unleashes are just plain OP.
Yeah, but you've got to A) know which weapons have the OP unleashes, and B) actually get those weapons.

Kalaam

Smash Ace
Yeah, but you've got to A) know which weapons have the OP unleashes, and B) actually get those weapons.
True, but you get them rather consistently in the first game. In TLA, once you get access to the smith you can get some pretty good weapons very early, and the masamune as soon as you get isaac's party. The weapon from the great serpent will probably serve a good while with its "ignore 100% of the target's defence" on unleashes. If you allow yourself to change your character classes you can get some pretty powerful normal attacks, since you won't have to bother about your psynergy set.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Isabelle's victory theme is z61 and Incineroar is z63. There is no z62. If it was a third party, it'd be at the end after Simon. There's also an entire music category missing. Music categories go a-z, with z being victory themes. Most third parties and Splatoon are special, having two letters that represent that franchise.

The music category "o" is completely missing. It's a bit of a weird position given Splatoon is "sp" while "q" and "r" are "Other"... while also containing Xenoblade and Punch Out.

EDIT: Made a pretty big mistake in numbering. It's actually z92 that is missing, between Incineroar (z91) and Inkling (z93). Which actually raises the odds that it's a new IP character.
Wait wait wait, the "o" category is missing?! Isn't Golden Sun's name in Japanese "Ougon no Taiyou"? Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other 1st party series that starts with an "o" and is currently missing. Seriously, that's way too many coincidences now!

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
The biggest German Nintendo forum held a community voting to find out the most wanted characters for the Fighters Pass DLC. I thought I should share the results with you guys:

10) Paper Mario / Crash Bandicoot (tied)
9) Geno
8) Dixie Kong
7) Isaac
6) Sora
5) Skull Kid
4) Rayman
3) Waluigi
2) Rex
1) Banjo-Kazooie

Here's the source if anyone's able to speak German. You can just simply look at the pictures aswell lol.

I knew Isaac's popularity was there, but I'm still a bit surprised that he's up there since those forums gather lots of younger people around the age of 14-17 who prolly never really came into contact with GS.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Wait wait wait, the "o" category is missing?! Isn't Golden Sun's name in Japanese "Ougon no Taiyou"? Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other 1st party series that starts with an "o" and is currently missing. Seriously, that's way too many coincidences now!
If there was in fact a cut character who was first party, I sure am wondering if it was Isaac who was planned but downgraded to assist trophy due to time constraints. I sure hope this bodes well for our golden boi to make it in as dlc.
On the other hand we should discuss more about PolarPandas insider information claiming Isaac was never considered and was just an a planned returning assist trophy. If that's true, I hate to think that the tweet was nothing more than to just hint at Isaac coming back as an assist trophy and not a playable character.... or did we simply reach too high given this Rathalos tweet may have never been a golden sun reference in the first place? There just seems to be so much that hints at more given that trademark renewal and no new golden sun music tracks given in the base game.

aqodj9jr9nf11.jpg

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
I don't get why PolarPanda is credible can someone please explain because I'm pretty sure his source is just a low-level employee.

Icana

Smash Apprentice
Fun Facts -- Golden Sun and Pikmin:

Golden Sun release date: NA November 11th, 2001
Pikmin release date: NA December 2nd, 2001

Both games also came out in 2001 in Japan and 2002 in Europe.

Sales:

Golden Sun: 1.65 million WW
Pikmin: 1.60 million WW

Golden Sun the Lost Age: 1.12 million WW
Pikmin 2: 1.12 million WW

Both Golden Sun Dark Dawn and Pikmin 3 failed to cross the million mark with their third entry.

Source: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/nint...dware-sales-data-from-1983-to-present.963700/

Pikmin 1 and 2 also got re-released on Wii under the "New Play Control!" series. Golden Sun 1 and 2 also eventually got re-released on the Wii U virtual console.

I bring this up because, success wise, Golden Sun is basically on par with the Pikmin series. Pikmin also had a recent spin-off on 3DS that bombed hard. Pikmin also has a playable character/s with Olimar and Alph in Smash, several music remixes, and a stage. Golden Sun has none save a single remix, despite the parallels of Isaac and Mathew being similar, and the sales success being the same.

Nintendo also placed a strong bet on Pikmin 3 to get Wii U's momentum up and running in 2013. That didn't happen. Golden Sun Dark Dawn was released on a waning DS with the barren 3DS launch on the horizon. If it were delayed and retooled for 3DS, the sales tale may have been different, despite the game's design problems, as it would've been an early brand new RPG release on the new 3DS platform, heading off the release of Fire Emblem Awakening (a game that revived that series) and Bravely Default (also a successful game).

Last edited:

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
I knew Isaac's popularity was there, but I'm still a bit surprised that he's up there since those forums gather lots of younger people around the age of 14-17 who prolly never really came into contact with GS.
And still, there's even Geno who is basically a nobody in Europe. Arguably, Banjo and Skull Kid are also not "younger people" material.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman

Sales:

Both Golden Sun Dark Dawn and Pikmin 3 failed to cross the million mark with their third entry.

Source: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/nint...dware-sales-data-from-1983-to-present.963700/

Pikmin 1 and 2 also got re-released on Wii under the "New Play Control!" series. Golden Sun 1 and 2 also eventually got re-released on the Wii U virtual console.

I bring this up because, success wise, Golden Sun is basically on par with the Pikmin series. Pikmin also had a recent spin-off on 3DS that bombed hard. Pikmin also has a playable character/s with Olimar and Alph in Smash, several music remixes, and a stage. Golden Sun has none save a single remix, despite the parallels of Isaac and Mathew being similar, and the sales success being the same.

Nintendo also placed a strong bet on Pikmin 3 to get Wii U's momentum up and running in 2013. That didn't happen. Golden Sun Dark Dawn was released on a waning DS with the barren 3DS launch on the horizon. If it were delayed and retooled for 3DS, the sales tale may have been different, despite the game's design problems, as it would've been an early brand new RPG release on the new 3DS platform, heading off the release of Fire Emblem Awakening (a game that revived that series) and Bravely Default (also a successful game).
I didn't know the figures were so similar. Why Nintendo? Why hast thou forsaken us?!

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
The similarity to Pikmin made me think.

We could have got Isaac in Brawl with a stage.

Then we could have got a Matthew alt and a Dark Dawn stage in 4.

Missed opportunity, I wonder why they didn't think of doing for Isaac for Brawl he seems perfect.

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
Isabelle's victory theme is z61 and Incineroar is z63. There is no z62. If it was a third party, it'd be at the end after Simon. There's also an entire music category missing. Music categories go a-z, with z being victory themes. Most third parties and Splatoon are special, having two letters that represent that franchise.

The music category "o" is completely missing. It's a bit of a weird position given Splatoon is "sp" while "q" and "r" are "Other"... while also containing Xenoblade and Punch Out.

EDIT: Made a pretty big mistake in numbering. It's actually z92 that is missing, between Incineroar (z91) and Inkling (z93). Which actually raises the odds that it's a new IP character.
Like Ninjaed Ninjaed said, even if it was just a coincidence, the fact it's THAT letter specifically is yet another of those damn strange/weird coincidences and I'm tired of coincidences. :mad088:

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
If there was in fact a cut character who was first party, I sure am wondering if it was Isaac who was planned but downgraded to assist trophy due to time constraints. I sure hope this bodes well for our golden boi to make it in as dlc.
On the other hand we should discuss more about PolarPandas insider information claiming Isaac was never considered and was just an a planned returning assist trophy. If that's true, I hate to think that the tweet was nothing more than to just hint at Isaac coming back as an assist trophy and not a playable character.... or did we simply reach too high given this Rathalos tweet may have never been a golden sun reference in the first place? There just seems to be so much that hints at more given that trademark renewal and no new golden sun music tracks given in the base game.

View attachment 181043
It still has eerily similar coincidences to Golden Sun, but it likely all went over Sakurai's head since he didn't make the screenshot himself and he has no nostalgia and attachment to the Golden Sun series to catch on. Personally, I think I pegged Sakurai as this all knowing guru and that there was no way he couldn't know it was a Golden Sun reference but eh. Looking back at it now, it does have his two favorite biases in it. Maybe if Isaac was shown off back in the August direct they did say he was made an assist trophy from the start so you'd think he might have been in that image as well.

QcSlayer

Smash Journeyman
Well, I did a "No Djinn Swap" run.
pholtos pholtos did a "Psynergy Only" run.

Here are some other challenge ideas.

"No Djinn" run: You must keep your Djinn on Standby, whenever possible (some bosses use your standby Djinn as summons, meaning the djinn eventually set themselves).
"Basic Attack only" run: You can only use the Attack and Defend commands, no Psynergy, Djinn or Summons allowed (this will probably be a nightmare)
"Single character" run: You must keep everyone but a specific character dead.

You could also just play Golden Sun normally, I guess... maybe experiment with Djinn Set-ups to find a Team set-up that works for you.
Talking about challenge, what happen if you do a Mialess chalenge and transfer to TLA?

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
What a strange (but fun in my eyes) situation we are in for Isaac. Out of all the ATs, Spirits, etc, Isaac (and GS) is the most suspicious of them all. So many different coincidences surrounding the two is insane. Whether they mean something or not, the hype train still keeps going regardless. Haha!

Seoxys

Smash Apprentice

Sales:

Oh well, guess Golden Sun didn't get enough Daddy Miyamoto-bias to get in Smash then ;_;

I mean ffs Golden Sun pretty much had here more sales than Pikmin tho... this makes me sad...

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
The data has an entire franchise missing in the music list. Odds are, that missing slot (which is for a victory theme FYI) was for a new franchise character. NOT Piranha Plant.
As much as this could be good for us, I believe every character has its own victory theme saved in the data, as in even if they're the same, each character gets its own slot. I firmly believe Isaac was cut, so that theme could've been for him. What's much more damning in my eyes is the missing songs prefaced with "o". That combined with the missing victory theme bodes very well for us and our "Isaac was cut" theory, especially if the missing songs are for "Oogon no Taiyou". This might be the biggest piece of evidence in our favor so far.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
As much as this could be good for us, I believe every character has its own victory theme saved in the data, as in even if they're the same, each character gets its own slot. I firmly believe Isaac was cut, so that theme could've been for him. What's much more damning in my eyes is the missing songs prefaced with "o". That combined with the missing victory theme bodes very well for us and our "Isaac was cut" theory, especially if the missing songs are for "Oogon no Taiyou". This might be the biggest piece of evidence in our favor so far.
If he really was cut, they saw that backlash of the Isaac AT and all the support he’s still getting even afterwards, AND we know that AT’s/pokeballs toggle off in certain situations, then Isaac really does have a much better chance at DLC than we thought.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
If he really was cut, they saw that backlash of the Isaac AT and all the support he’s still getting even afterwards, AND we know that AT’s/pokeballs toggle off in certain situations, then Isaac really does have a much better chance at DLC than we thought.
I think that we may basically be a lock if a new Golden Sun is in development, and all this evidence just helps us. Honestly? I think we're good. I'm pretty much convinced that a new Golden Sun is coming, with all the new references Camelot's been making to the new trademark filed earlier this year. Something's coming, guys.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
I think that we may basically be a lock if a new Golden Sun is in development, and all this evidence just helps us. Honestly? I think we're good. I'm pretty much convinced that a new Golden Sun is coming, with all the new references Camelot's been making to the new trademark filed earlier this year. Something's coming, guys.
Here’s hoping it does! But be careful everyone. We don’t want to go overboard. Expect NOTHING, but remain hopeful regardless. :D

What I do like about all of this is that we can use this to our advantage to get people to continue talking about Isaac and Golden Sun. Even getting people to actually predict Isaac for DLC even and/or that Golden Sun may be coming in 2019 (or an announcement at least). Whatever gets Golden Sun relevant out there.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Oh well, guess Golden Sun didn't get enough Daddy Miyamoto-bias to get in Smash then ;_;

I mean ffs Golden Sun pretty much had here more sales than Pikmin tho... this makes me sad...
Isn't Pikmin more popular in Japan? Or at least Ai no Uta?

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
Is it even possible without cheating ? I know you can go as a far as Tret without her, but that's it.
Yes, it's possible by using a glitch. I wouldn't know how to do it though, but I'm sure someone else can explain it.
It was talked about on the sub already, too. :)

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
But Mia is the best main party character in the game! Well......she’s my favorite.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Could I get a refresher on that Isaac cut theory? Does it give any hope for the golden boi to come in dlc wave 1?

Icana

Smash Apprentice
The other thing I wanna mention about the Golden Sun and Pikmin comparison is that I gave the release date because they're both brand new IPs that came out around the exact same time and both series only have three core titles to them, each one selling comparably to the other. I think, from a fan perspective, the two are just as 'relevant' as the other.

Now Pikmin did have one spin-off which came out last year that under performed on the 3DS, and Pikmin fans probably don't really consider it a Pikmin game, but I guess that game keeps the mind share alive. That's one of the reasons why I've mentioned I'd like to see Camelot put Isaac in Mario Tennis Aces as a guest star in their own game --to comparably keep his mind share active.

Also, Golden Sun Dark Dawn came out in 2010, whereas Pikmin 3 came out in 2013. So Pikmin 3 is the most recent of the two (though the game was meant to release on Wii before delayed to Wii U's launch, and then delayed again till summer 2013). Pikmin is currently "active" by way of Miyamoto's word, as he announced that Pikmin 3 was in development casually at E3 2008, after their show had disgruntled fans with Wii Music and Animal Crossing as their Wii holiday games. Miyamoto has said Pikmin 4 is in development as well (he said it was nearly done in 2015). Last mention of the game was last year at E3 2017: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-14-miyamoto-pikmin-4-still-progressing

If not for Miyamoto, we wouldn't know Pikmin 4 exists and development on it is ongoing. Likewise, I hope our voices penetrate Nintendo and Golden Sun developments are happening behind the scenes at Nintendo and Camelot.

Last edited:

Istry555

Smash Cadet
You can't be too hard on the Pikmin / Golden Sun comparison for Brawl. Pikmin is a Miyamoto creation and I also always got the feeling that handheld exclusive series (not counting Pokemon) were sort of second class citizens in Nintendo's mind. I agree, though, that Isaac was so close to getting in Brawl, it's a shame it didn't work out.

I feel like there's a lot to compare Isaac and Little Mac. Little Mac likely only got in 4 because Punch Out got a revival. It was good timing for the character, otherwise I doubt he would have been promoted from assist trophy as Punch Out isn't exactly an ongoing franchise. Isaac has the popularity that if just got a new game that coincided with Smash development, he'd be almost guaranteed.

Last edited:

Icana

Smash Apprentice
You can't be too hard on the Pikmin / Golden Sun comparison for Brawl. Pikmin is a Miyamoto creation and I also always got the feeling that handheld exclusive series (not counting Pokemon) were sort of second class citizens in Nintendo's mind. I agree, though, that Isaac was so close to getting in Brawl, it's a shame it didn't work out.

I feel like there's a lot to compare Isaac and Little Mac. Little Mac likely only got in 4 because Punch Out got a revival. It was good timing for the character, otherwise I doubt he would have been promoted from assist trophy as Punch Out isn't exactly an ongoing franchise. Isaac has the popularity that if just got a new game that coincided with Smash development, he'd be almost guaranteed.
Speaking of Punch Out!, the revival Wii game did surprisingly well too. 1.14 million according to that same link above. It's a wonder a new one hasn't come, but I guess we did just get Arms, and Next Level Games (the developer of Punch Out! Wii) is perhaps working on Luigi's Mansion 3.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Could the missing victory theme be for the existing and returning characters
from Fire Emblem Awakening? There were a video recently that show FEA characters to have a variant of ID purpose, but where is it placed in the data?
There's other gaps earlier on in the list as well. That's why Incineroar is z92. I'd wager the previous gaps in the list are from other characters that got cut in past games. It could also be victory themes that got replaced, maybe.

That is the easiest thing to write off as a coincidence, because the only first-party franchise to line up with the correct letter category is Splatoon (because Splatoon goes "sp" instead of what it should be.

Sales:

Pikmin took priority because of Miyamoto. That's why. Pikmin was a Miyamoto franchise, Golden Sun was from Camelot.

But yes, I've noticed the similarities between GS and Pikmin sales in the past. They're basically neck-and-neck.

I don't get why PolarPanda is credible can someone please explain because I'm pretty sure his source is just a low-level employee.
I don't know who PolarPanda's "primary" source is. I do know who PolarPanda's source is that cited the Isaac info, and it should be noted that the Isaac info didn't come from an NoA employee. It came from a Nintendo ambassador who knows NoA employees. So that info is actually third-hand info. The guy in question talked a bit on the Isaac discord recently, that's all I have to say on that. (Also, said person is actually an Isaac fan, so keep that in mind.)

Regardless, I don't believe for a second NoA employees know Sakurai's thought process. So this idea that Isaac was never considered because someone from NoA says as such doesn't sit well with me whether the sources are real or not. I do believe the sources are real. I don't believe the info is anything more than NoA rumors, though.

If the "o" is missing it's just because there is nothing to put in, calm down xD
I agree it doesn't mean anything for GS... but with all other a-z letters being used, "o" being missing is insanely weird. Punch Out and Xenoblade are both in the "r" letter category which seems to be "Other", why didn't either of these get put in "o" instead?

The biggest German Nintendo forum held a community voting to find out the most wanted characters for the Fighters Pass DLC. I thought I should share the results with you guys:

9) Geno
8) Dixie Kong
7) Isaac
6) Sora
5) Skull Kid
4) Rayman
3) Waluigi
2) Rex
1) Banjo-Kazooie

Here's the source if anyone's able to speak German. You can just simply look at the pictures aswell lol.

This is pretty awesome. Nice.

Last edited:

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace

9) Geno
8) Dixie Kong
7) Isaac
6) Sora
5) Skull Kid
4) Rayman
3) Waluigi
2) Rex
1) Banjo-Kazooie

Lol Rex
Quality pick right there

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Ehh... I like Rex. Well..... I like XC2. Rex is okay. Just generic.
Agreed. Rex isn't unlikeable but he's far too generic. Just your average hot-headed shounen hero that's a 15 year-old chick magnet prodigy on a mission to save the world - with possibly a comic relief and/or a mentor figure at his side.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Just had a thought. If that missing slot is indeed a removed character, do you think it was deliberately done to have a “ready to go” DLC character reveal at the VGAwards?

osby

Smash Obsessed

Smash isn't a sales/popularity list. Olimar has a pretty interesting moveset that is very hard to be provided by any other character. That might have gave him an edge.

Bladebreaker

Smash Cadet
Just had a thought. If that missing slot is indeed a removed character, do you think it was deliberately done to have a “ready to go” DLC character reveal at the VGAwards?
Probably not. If that were the case, I feel that dataminers would be able to tell. It also contradicts what Sakurai has said in interviews about how (a) he does DLC, and (b) that all characters they intended to get in got in.

While him lying isn't outside the realm of possibility (as it always is for everybody), it would be a massive breach in trust. Developers withholding content for DLC is the main issue people have with day 1 DLC. The outrage would be bad.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Here guys. I think this might be some good food from thought from my bros over at the geno thread.
Aw man, I missed the big Brawl thread passing moment! Belated congrats to you all! This will easily hit 500 pages before release.

Also, so Fatman's hints are for a character...oh boy. My vote is for Lloyd or Tails--as an apparent "boomer," I know those would be cool for us.

Also, this. I would love Klonoa! A total sleeper Namco pick.

Well, this pretty much proves to me that some people at least in NOA know who at least some of the DLC characters are. His wording seems to suggest it heavily. My guess is this is how Polar and Fatman know. Even crazier is that it appears they might know most of the DLC already. But how could that be, unless...

The whole fighter pack will be revealed at the VGAs...???

Edit: hold on. Hold up...I just thought of something bananas. If the characters are all going to be ones we'll love, and one will bring people back...and boomers will love it, zoomers might complain, and no one is asking for them now...

Holy crap. Is it Isaac?

Maybe Nintendo listened, and that's the big news? Could it be that characters already IN as assists will now have a shot?

Now THAT would be earth-shattering.

Top Bottom