• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I will say, if Square is so stingy, what did they get in return for Cloud coming back? The Smash team were desperate to get everyone back, and Square reportedly wanted Cloud as DLC again. I don't think it's too hard to believe that something DLC related is planned.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Nothing has come to light... because Cloud isn't in World Of Light. Like, at all. You can't unlock him, you can't play as him, and he isn't in cutscenes.
That's a shame, but to me it shows that, if anything, a Square character would make more sense as DLC than base anyway if they're going to enact those kind of restrictions. It's not like Cloud didn't return, SE is still willing to play ball. Even if it's hardball. :/

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I will say, if Square is so stingy, what did they get in return for Cloud coming back? The Smash team were desperate to get everyone back, and Square reportedly wanted Cloud as DLC again. I don't think it's too hard to believe that something DLC related is planned.
I mean, we’re getting Final Fantasy ports. That’s good for Nintendo and Square. So having Cloud in Smash is good for Square to get people to want to buy those ports.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I mean, we’re getting Final Fantasy ports. That’s good for Nintendo and Square. So having Cloud in Smash is good for Square to get people to want to buy those ports.
Yes, but that logic still works even if Cloud was DLC. The games would still build up interest, but now the character is beyond an extra pay wall.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, this. I don't think they went away just with the ports, I think Sakurai made a deal with Square just as he seemingly did with Konami. I think Square chose a character for DLC and is taking a big chunk of the earnings

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
To be honest, this. I don't think they went away just with the ports, I think Sakurai made a deal with Square just as he seemingly did with Konami. I think Square chose a character for DLC and is taking a big chunk of the earnings
That is what I think as well. But here is the thing, what character would be the most low cost and profitable by pure legal control? Now, here is the thing, would stingy Square want to pick a character who they know they would have to split the profits in the end?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Okay so the Isaac Mii costume is indeed good news. But I wouldn't think it raises his chances for DLC or the next game outside of further confirming that he did well on the ballot. Also, I'm glad that most of the Spirits are from GS1; it reassures me that they'd definitely pick Isaac over Matthew for a GS rep.
Welp, looks like I'm gonna be maining Mii Swordfighter.
Ironic that the Smash game featuring the largest amount of Golden Sun content is the one furthest away from any GS release.

But then again, the increase in content is likely on the backs of all the fans. I'm thrilled we could accomplish as much. ^_^
Do we have any pictures of Isaac's Mii Costume or is it still relatively unknown aside from the wig?

I'm glad I'll somewhat be able to play as my boy.
As someone else said, I’m maining a Mii sword-fighter now.
Haha! I’ve been maining the Mii Swordsman before it was cool. :p
Super stoked to get Isaac’s costume right away! Now we just need to get the right Mii face...
This is absolutely the correct attitude to have. Isaac won as a far as I am concerned. He is a character from a pair of games whose heyday was 15 years ago, and as N3ON said Golden Sun actually has more content in Ultimate than in any other Smash Bros. game in the series. The Mii Costume is absolutely an indicator of a bone being thrown for fan demand.

Keep in mind that multiple characters that received Mii costumes in Smash 4 ended up being promoted in Ultimate (Inkling, Isabelle, Chrom, K. Rool, Daisy). Nearly half of Ultimate's newcomers had Mii costumes.

Sentinel07

Smash Apprentice
Considering what we've come to learn about Cloud in Ultimate and Verge's claims regarding Minecraft content coming into question, I'm starting to doubt we're actually getting another Square character.
Me too. If Nintendo and Square can't even get FF really going (undoubtedly their biggest franchise), what really are the odds of them getting anything else going at this rate.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Me too. If Nintendo and Square can't even get FF really going (undoubtedly their biggest franchise), what really are the odds of them getting anything else going at this rate.
That'd be more concerning if they didn't already procure the content necessary for a fighter pack (character, stage, music). They did it once and could presumably do it again.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Quick note about Geno: if Nintendo is going to Square already and they truly care about the ballot, they will get Geno no questions asked, unless Square is completely uncooperative or talks hit a snag. That said, I'm sure they care about the ballot at least a little but we'll see how much.

-------

Also, while it's awesome that Isaac has a costume, let's not forget that we're still pushing for the real thing! Celebrate the small victory and then let's get back to walking forward with determination!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Quick note about Geno: if Nintendo is going to Square already and they truly care about the ballot, they will get Geno no questions asked, unless Square is completely uncooperative or talks hit a snag. That said, I'm sure they care about the ballot at least a little but we'll see how much.
Also, Geno is one of the few highly popular characters that Square has the full rights too, at least when it comes to getting money. With Sora you have to worry about Disney and Square is only the publishers of DQ now.
Another thing worth noting is that music is a very distinct selling point in the DLC packs, so that should also be kept in mind as an important factor for who gets selected. If one pack gives you a dozen and a half more songs than another pack, then there will be some issues.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Hehe! All this talk on how Cloud was very difficult to get back made me think of this senario if I could talk to Nintendo directly: “Hey Nintendo! You know, there is a certain highly requested blond JRPG character that you own that wouldn’t give you a lot of hassle like Cloud has and you wouldn’t be spending a lot of money on.” ;) Wink, wink! Nudge, nudge! *cough* Isaac *cough*

Sentinel07

Smash Apprentice
Hehe! All this talk on how Cloud was very difficult to get back made me think of this senario if I could talk to Nintendo directly: “Hey Nintendo! You know, there is a certain highly requested blond JRPG character that you own that wouldn’t give you a lot of hassle like Cloud has and you wouldn’t be spending a lot of money on.” ;) Wink, wink! Nudge, nudge! *cough* Isaac *cough*
Plus, this certain blonde JRPG character would actually have more attack possibilities other than just swinging his sword. :)

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
...Wait? Issac got a Mii Costume too?

Welp, I'm still maining Ray-Gunner, but Guess I'll be picking "Issac" as well!

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Well guys this is it! With Isaac now a Mii costume we must always use him in online play, tournaments and sessions with our friends.

We must use him so much that he appears on the statistics as the most frequently used fighter (they always have data logging going on trust me)

Isaac has gotten this far because we are officially a highly requested choice now. There is no doubt about it. If we spend the next few years campaigning real hard, he will make Smash 6!

Our work has just begun chums!

Last edited:

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Not only that but dragon quest only has appeal in Japan mostly but really hasn’t been all that popular in Europe or the west. Geno has global appeal and fans have wanted him in for more than a decade.
You are wrong on Geno popularity. He has no popularity in Europe, since his game was not launched here. The only people who want him here are people who are also going on US boards. A recent poll made on the biggest French video games website put Isaac first with 20%, and Geno is far behind with 2%.

At least, Dragon Quest is known everywhere, if not widely spread.

Edit: Wait... Dragon Quest is owned by more than just Square Enix??
Another thing worth noting is that music is a very distinct selling point in the DLC packs, so that should also be kept in mind as an important factor for who gets selected
I heard there are problems with DQ musics. The composer is picky as hell: he even refuses to let orchestral remix to be put in DQ games because he believes it will lower the sales of orchestral albums.

Spoiler for WOL
Apparently Cloud doesn't appear in the mode at all and also isn't unlockable with that mode, he is in no cutscenes
Also FF is stuck with the same representation it had in 4 (minus the Chocobo mii costume) and Cloud is the only character to have spirit from FF
Honestly that makes me want to reach Square to tell them to stop being like that. Bad buzz.

Well guys this is it! With Isaac now a Mii costume we must always use him in online play, tournaments and sessions with out friends
That was the goal! Nintendo have stats, let us show them!

However I probably won't main Mii in local play.

Last edited:

Bladebreaker

Smash Cadet
I heard there are problems with DQ musics. The composer is picky as hell: he even refuses to let orchestral remix to be put in DQ games because he believes it will lower the sales of orchestral albums.
Not what I've heard, as I understand that's more of a design choice for the JP version of the game to preserve the series' roots as a Famicom RPG. The international version of DQ8 (and I believe DQ11) have orchestrated scores. Same with voice acting.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai really is putting a lot of work into Mii costumes of characters he wants isn't he

There are sooo many Mii costumes of characters that didn't make the cut it's wack as hell

Some even have really good detail, like Rex's costume having fire effects and gramps in his helmet

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink

Any of you seen this?

Found it while browsing YouTube.
Yo!!! That’s awesome! Man, it makes me really want to see an anime of Golden Sun.

I’m surprised that Sheba and Piers didn’t get spirits of their own.
(Sheba and Piers confirmed as DLC fighters. Lol)

aTTom aTTom Thank you! Wow! The costume actually looks pretty good!

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sakurai really is putting a lot of work into Mii costumes of characters he wants isn't he

There are sooo many Mii costumes of characters that didn't make the cut it's wack as hell

Some even have really good detail, like Rex's costume having fire effects and gramps in his helmet
Even Lip has a costume, and she was only name-dropped for the longest time.

This is definitely something to look into.

Silo777

Smash Journeyman
It’s now undoubtable that out of all ballot characters (excluding K Rool of course) Isaac got the best treatment. That is very good for us.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
It’s now undoubtable that out of all ballot characters (excluding K Rool of course) Isaac got the best treatment. That is very good for us.
That’s just crazy to believe! I didn’t expect much, but we got more than we thought. I’m so excited for this game!

Now all we need is a GS DLC character (Adult Isaac ;)) that will come with music (that’s still strange we didn’t get at least one new one) and a stage that will promote a new GS game. Lol. We got this Adepts!

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I have to say this…
I feel like they made some characters not playable in purpose.
just to make them mii costume and make people feel more like playing as mii fighters.
it's a **** but smart strategy to get people to play them more lol.
I just hope that doesn't stop him and others from getting upgraded in the future.
Anyway I just hope there are better options for the face, I have never played as miis so dunno about the customization options :laugh:

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I have to say this…
I feel like they made some characters not playable in purpose.
just to make them mii costume and make people feel more like playing as mii fighters.
I doubt it. There were only five unique newcomers, one semi-clone, and five new echo fighters. Seems more likely they just didn't have space and had other priorities regarding character selection. Knowing Sakurai, I'm sure he stuffed the roster with as many characters as humanly possible.

Last edited:

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
That’s just crazy to believe! I didn’t expect much, but we got more than we thought. I’m so excited for this game!

Now all we need is a GS DLC character (Adult Isaac ;)) that will come with music (that’s still strange we didn’t get at least one new one) and a stage that will promote a new GS game. Lol. We got this Adepts!
It is the only explanation I have for not receiving new GS music

Top Bottom