• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Maybe... popularity in Japan?
Nah, I don't know as much as you guys do regarding popularity of characters/series in certain areas outside the forums (sometimes the little ecosystem created within the walls of the net distorts our perception of the outside world), so I won't say anything that results being stupid :laugh:

PS. Thank you! :D
No problem and Isaac and Shulk are not really fighting each other for a spot since they would fight nothing alike.

Shulk's fighting style is based on mechanical type magic (Monado arts) or it seems that way to me.

Isaac is a Magic User (Alchemist) that uses Earth Based Magics.

Their fighting styles are nothing alike.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
No, they do not. Same month, yes, but Golden Sun's is on the 1st of August.

Forgive me, but I was confused at first since you said Mother and I said Earthbound. Then I saw they're the same a few seconds later.

In any case, I don't think we should think much about Smash Run's enemies or retweets. Both statements doesn't really affect anyone's chances just as how the dead leak doesn't really affect Isaac's chances.

Of course, I can be wrong. But it doesn't change the fact that anything can happen at this point.
I said Mother 2 because it wasn't released as Earthbound until localization.

BSTCloud

Smash Apprentice
No problem and Isaac and Shulk are not really fighting each other for a spot since they would fight nothing alike.

Shulk's fighting style is based on mechanical type magic (Monado arts) or it seems that way to me.

They fight nothing alike.
Regarding their fighting styles, I highly doubt they'd come close.
Heck, I even doubt Isaac's style would look like Robin's.

I could see Isaac's sword-attack animations showing a stronger and more... 'physically enthusiastic (?)' character than Robin but not Ike's level of strength.
And Isaac's magic would play around summoning elements (earth mainly) and almighty white engloved hands to punch/move opponents.

I think Shulk's special arts will be Monado arts like you say, his sword... I dunno, chaning shape or something and unleashing powerful blue light sword-ey attacks, so, 15% alikeness, in the fact that they use swords and magic that is.

Last edited:

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
Okay so you guys are going to think I'm over stretching with this (because I totally am), but did you guys ever notice Robin's boots in Smash? They look kind of familiar don't they?

I'm not saying it's a hint or anything, it's just funny how similar they look to Isaac's boots in Brawl. Feet in FE:A are cut off due to them being chibi-like characters, so it's impossible to tell what their feet are supposed to look like. But looking at FE:A concept art reveals that Robin doesn't have boots like that... at least not enough to think they would overlap like that. Most fan art I've seen for Robin shows his shoes as if they were regular boots.

Haha, anyways it doesn't mean anything. I just wanted to share.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Regarding their fighting styles, I highly doubt they'd come close.
Heck, I even doubt Isaac's style would look like Robin's.

I could see Isaac's sword-attack animations showing a stronger and more... 'physically enthusiastic (?)' character than Robin but not Ike's level of strength.
And Isaac's magic would play around summoning elements (earth mainly) and almighty white engloved hands to punch/move opponents.

I think Shulk's special arts will be Monado arts like you say, his sword... I dunno, chaning shape or something and unleashing powerful blue light sword-ey attacks, so, 15% alikeness, in the fact that they use swords and magic that is.
I doubt Isaac will really use his sword except for tilt attacks. Isaac's main distinguishing feature is how he uses Earth Based Alchemy.

The only way that Shulk and Isaac would have similar sword moves is if Isaac is uses a double handed sword and has more than 5 sword attacks.

The Monado seems to be handled like a Double Handed sword.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think Shulk would use his sword with two hands. Its also notable that not even Robin uses the sword very often, either. Isaac would probably use his sword just for a few regular attacks, like with Robin, perhaps even for his Smash attacks, but would otherwise mostly use Psynergy (and heck, even then, Move could be Isaac's Smash attacks).

Two magic swordsman with completely different mechanics would be quite awesome. Also, with the confirmation that Lucina was going to be a Marth clone, there's nothing stopping Felix from being a skin of Isaac, either.

BSTCloud

Smash Apprentice
I doubt Isaac will really use his sword except for tilt attacks. Isaac's main distinguishing feature is how he uses Earth Based Alchemy.

The only way that Shulk and Isaac would have similar sword moves is if Isaac is uses a double handed sword and has more than 5 sword attacks.

The Monado seems to be handled like a Double Handed sword.

Well, he DOES wield it double handed :p
This one looks uglier and more pixelated, but while he uses the standard "Attack" command in the game, he strikes with the sword wielding it two handed.

Could you equip him with a single-handed sword in the game? I don't remember, I haven't played in years.

I'm not implying his sword will be his primary attacks or anything like that, but, yet again, like you said before, for a side and up short range tilts... that's what I expect at least. Nothing closer to 5 attacks of course, but a few. Even in his brawl trophy signature pose was about to take his sword out like saying "I'm ready to slash anyone anytime!"

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero

Well, he DOES wield it double handed :p
This one looks uglier and more pixelated, but while he uses the standard "Attack" command in the game, he strikes with the sword wielding it two handed.

Could you equip him with a single-handed sword in the game? I don't remember, I haven't played in years.

I'm not implying his sword will be his attacks or anything like that, but, yet again, like you said before, for a side and up short range tilts... that's what I expect at least. Nothing closer to 5 attacks of course, but a few. Even in his brawl trophy signature pose was about to take his sword out like saying "I'm ready to slash anyone anytime!"
If Isaac does use a sword he would only use it for weak basic attacks. To me anyway.

I am not entirely sure whether or not Isaac wields his swords with one hand at times.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think if they go with older Isaac, he'd probably use it one-handed. The major problem fighting two-handed in Smash, though, is picking up items. Robin is the first character to have both hands occupied, and they use telekinesis to pick up items and perform throws. Isaac could do that with Psynergy just fine. Honestly, if they want to make Isaac use a two-handed sword, I wouldn't mind that at all because it'd be more unique than if he just fought one-handed like every other sword user.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I think Isaac's reveal trailer should be the Gameboy Advance sprites somehow. I would love that.

And his final smash better have the overworld text when you cast a spell:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
So, TLA is getting releases on VC too? YESH.

This will only help to drum up more support for Isaac

Makrrrrrr

Smash Apprentice
Hey people! New here! Just dropping by for support for Isaac!

Golden Sun is probably one of my most cherished RPG franchises ever! I even played 1 and 2 back to back because I can't get enough! AND I guess I am one of those rare breed that LOVED the DS installment. (I don't really know the consensus here but on other places Dark Dawn's not well received.)

It's such a shame that Sakurai haven't properly recognized the franchise, even with an AT and music, it is not enough!

Count me in for believing that Isaac should be included in the roster! AND please a Golden Sun stage, (VENUS LIGHTHOUSE)

That is all :)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Golden Sun is probably one of my most cherished RPG franchises ever! I even played 1 and 2 back to back because I can't get enough! AND I guess I am one of those rare breed that LOVED the DS installment. (I don't really know the consensus here but on other places Dark Dawn's not well received.)

It's such a shame that Sakurai haven't properly recognized the franchise, even with an AT and music, it is not enough!

Count me in for believing that Isaac should be included in the roster! AND please a Golden Sun stage, (VENUS LIGHTHOUSE)

Obviously if Isaac is in he'd have a Golden Sun stage. My guess would be Venus Lighthouse on 3DS, and that one first cave you go to at the beginning of the game for Wii U... whatever its called, the one with all the pillars where you awaken alchemy or something. Damn, I've gotta replay that game and beat it. Going to start within the next week.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Obviously if Isaac is in he'd have a Golden Sun stage. My guess would be Venus Lighthouse on 3DS, and that one first cave you go to at the beginning of the game for Wii U... whatever its called, the one with all the pillars where you awaken alchemy or something. Damn, I've gotta replay that game and beat it. Going to start within the next week.
I think you're referring to the Sol Sanctum.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

I know how you feel.

Golden Sun, at least for me is the last series of my childhood not to have a playable rep.....and it's a very important one so it's pretty jarring.

Bane84

Smash Journeyman
I hate to keep bringing this up, but after reading the latest translation from Famitsu about Robin's inclusion: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=121384840&postcount=8201

A few points caught my attention that seem to work against Isaac:
  • I thought to utilize his all-around nature by assigning swordplay to his Smash attacks and magic tomes to his special attacks--that is, allow him to use magic.
  • At the end of the day, Chrom would just end up being another plain-old sword-wielder like Marth and Ike.

But then a few points seem to work FOR Isaac:
  • In the end, if a game isn't fun, then there's no point.
  • When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot.
I'm still torn on the whole sword/magic user thing, despite the fact that Isaac is primarily a two-handed sword user (as described above) and an Earth-based Psynergy user.

As a contingency, I'm planning on co-maining :4robinm: in the spirit of Isaac just in the event that he DOESN'T make it in. Otherwise, he's my man!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I hate to keep bringing this up, but after reading the latest translation from Famitsu about Robin's inclusion: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=121384840&postcount=8201

A few points caught my attention that seem to work against Isaac:
  • I thought to utilize his all-around nature by assigning swordplay to his Smash attacks and magic tomes to his special attacks--that is, allow him to use magic.
  • At the end of the day, Chrom would just end up being another plain-old sword-wielder like Marth and Ike.

But then a few points seem to work FOR Isaac:
  • In the end, if a game isn't fun, then there's no point.
  • When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot.
I'm still torn on the whole sword/magic user thing, despite the fact that Isaac is primarily a two-handed sword user (as described above) and an Earth-based Psynergy user.

As a contingency, I'm planning on co-maining :4robinm: in the spirit of Isaac just in the event that he DOESN'T make it in. Otherwise, he's my man!
Um, what? How does the first thing HURT Isaac? Chrom is all about swordplay, Isaac is about PSYNERGY! If anything, I think Isaac would use far less swordplay, and even then, him dual wielding his sword would make him that much more unique. In fact, I can imagine him using Psynergy to pick items off the ground and perhaps grab people, too.

The entire article really, really spells good things for Isaac for me. The fact is that Chrom, even if he could fight a bit differently, was literally only a swordsman. No, Sakurai wouldn't have counted class changing or Chrom's promotion, because every FE character is based on their raw potential. Even Ike is in his starting class from Radiant Dawn.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Something to note when thinking of a moveset for Isaac, is that Sakurai is willing to give characters moves they wouldn't normally have if he thinks it helps rep the game they come from more. He said as much in his recent Robin/Lucina interview.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Something to note when thinking of a moveset for Isaac, is that Sakurai is willing to give characters moves they wouldn't normally have if he thinks it helps rep the game they come from more. He said as much in his recent Robin/Lucina interview.
Well, keep in mind, he tries to make them true to their roots as much as possible. If he can fit characters with only moves related to them, he'll do it. If he needs to he will draw inspiration from other characters, though. The only thing Robin uses that Robin can't normally use is Dark Magic, and even then technically Robin could be made to use Dark Magic.

Last edited:

Makrrrrrr

Smash Apprentice
Well, keep in mind, he tries to make them true to their roots as much as possible. If he can fit characters with only moves related to them, he'll do it. If he needs to he will draw inspiration from other characters, though. The only thing Robin uses that Robin can't normally use is Dark Magic, and even then technically Robin could be made to use Dark Magic.
You know what, since Sakurai is really about 'unique' characters with gimmicks, the 'Djinn' aspect of Isaac can be explored and implemented as his signature style, I think it will be great. Like summoning Djinns first then unleashing a special move afterwards. I'm sure Sakurai can make it cool as he did with Robin's moveset.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
You know what, since Sakurai is really about 'unique' characters with gimmicks, the 'Djinn' aspect of Isaac can be explored and implemented as his signature style, I think it will be great. Like summoning Djinns first then unleashing a special move afterwards. I'm sure Sakurai can make it cool as he did with Robin's moveset.
That's why I brought that up before, I think Sakurai might seriously consider potentially using Djinn in Isaac's moveset. It might also mean Isaac isn't entirely earth-based, but who cares? It'd be awesome. My thought is that, Isaac can use Djinn to power up other attacks and make them stronger. Like, his specials perform a certain element of a certain spell by summoning a djinn, and the more you use that special, the higher level it becomes and more powerful it is. Using other specials will make the higher one drop. Also, Isaac will have some Psynergy as part of his regular attacks as well, with only his base combo and some air strikes using his sword. Any elemental psynergy on his standards is powered up as well the more djinn he has of one element.

Makrrrrrr

Smash Apprentice
That's why I brought that up before, I think Sakurai might seriously consider potentially using Djinn in Isaac's moveset. It might also mean Isaac isn't entirely earth-based, but who cares? It'd be awesome. My thought is that, Isaac can use Djinn to power up other attacks and make them stronger. Like, his specials perform a certain element of a certain spell by summoning a djinn, and the more you use that special, the higher level it becomes and more powerful it is. Using other specials will make the higher one drop. Also, Isaac will have some Psynergy as part of his regular attacks as well, with only his base combo and some air strikes using his sword. Any elemental psynergy on his standards is powered up as well the more djinn he has of one element.
I agree! Something to that effect. It would be okay if he wouldn't be earth-based, as it can cover a lot of the elements in the Golden Sun series, but after Robin is now having every tome to himself, I personally think that being earth-based can be what sets Isaac apart more from Robin. Especially since his earth spells are much more flashy and epic than that of Robin's basic spells now. Something like floating rocks and vines and all that =))

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
If they make Isaac earth-based, I don't have any problem at all with it. However, if they want to use Djinn in Isaac's moveset, the only way I can see it is if Isaac can use all four elements.

BSTCloud

Smash Apprentice
I could see Sakurai implementing a system in which you use a Dijinn to power up your strength (using the same command would cancel the buff, like in the game where you could prepare or not a Dijinn for summoning), allowing you to unleash a magical attack and having to wait a certain amount of time to use the same Dijinn again (like in the game where you had to wait a few turns to use them after summonning), similar to how they implemented Wario's farts.

It'd be so awesome :sadeyes:

Last edited:

Electric Tuba

Smash Journeyman
In the golden sun games Isaac could wield anything from small daggers to very large broadswords (two handed). If I remember correctly, the animations were slightly based on what weapon you equipped. He was also a physical Powerhouse, especially if you classed him into a chaos lord :D

Kycse

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nin-Kycse
I think if they go with older Isaac, he'd probably use it one-handed. The major problem fighting two-handed in Smash, though, is picking up items. Robin is the first character to have both hands occupied, and they use telekinesis to pick up items and perform throws. Isaac could do that with Psynergy just fine. Honestly, if they want to make Isaac use a two-handed sword, I wouldn't mind that at all because it'd be more unique than if he just fought one-handed like every other sword user.
The Item thing is a good point. Item carrying is pretty important. I wouldn't worry about the two handed aspect of Isaac though. He would likely keep his sword sheathed only drawing it to attack with his A attacks (likely his sword attacks). I can see his forward smash being his basic attack from his games but instead draws his sword as he lunges forward and sheathes his blade during the recovery frames of the attack. This would allow sakurai the freedom of letting him hold items. I can also see isaac having his awkward running animation from GS be his walk or run animation in Smash, which i find weird but fitting lol. Kind of like how Zero runs in UMvC3.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord

Their fighting styles are nothing alike.
They're both RPG human player-characters who are most associated with swords who use magic.

You simply can not say that two magical swordsmen are "nothing alike". This is highly disingenuous. Magic is magic; it doesn't matter very much at all whether the user got the magic from birthright or from licking a magic toad. It matters a little bit more what the elemental emphasis is, but not that much.

I honestly, I think it's completely impossible to see Isaac + Shulk + Robin all in the same game, as three similar magical "swordsmen" with white-or-blonde hair. I think it's unlikely to see even 2 of them in at the same time, but if there were going to be two, it'd be the blonde Earth-using shorty alongside the white-haired lightning taller, as opposed to the off-white-haired magic user Shulk.

I was hoping for Anna to be the 3rd FE rep, using less magic and more tricks/body (kicks or etc) so our magic swordsmen niche wouldn't get too clustered, thus making Isaac (or I guess Shulk. Thread bias, y'know) more likely.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Isaac, Robin and Shulk would make for a fantastic trio.
I agree the BEST trio.
They're both RPG human player-characters who are most associated with swords who use magic.

You simply can not say that two magical swordsmen are "nothing alike". This is highly disingenuous. Magic is magic; it doesn't matter very much at all whether the user got the magic from birthright or from licking a magic toad. It matters a little bit more what the elemental emphasis is, but not that much.

I honestly, I think it's completely impossible to see Isaac + Shulk + Robin all in the same game, as three similar magical "swordsmen" with white-or-blonde hair. I think it's unlikely to see even 2 of them in at the same time, but if there were going to be two, it'd be the blonde Earth-using shorty alongside the white-haired lightning taller, as opposed to the off-white-haired magic user Shulk.

I was hoping for Anna to be the 3rd FE rep, using less magic and more tricks/body (kicks or etc) so our magic swordsmen niche wouldn't get too clustered, thus making Isaac (or I guess Shulk. Thread bias, y'know) more likely.
You do realize Shulk doesn't use magic right? So he is in no way competition to either of them.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

So, the fact that Psynergy is completely different from Fire Emblem mechanics means nothing? I think we're getting all three of them.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Just cause they all use swords and some kinda of magical type thing doesn't mean there's room for only one.

If that were true we'd only have Link for swordsmen.

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Isaac, Robin and Shulk would make for a fantastic trio.
Shulk: "Time for a Chain Attack!"

Isaac: "Growth!" (Isaac summons a batch of vines that sprout from the ground and entangle the enemy)

Robin: "Nosferatu!" (Robin drains the enemy's life force whilst they are entangled)

Shulk: "Backslash!" (Whilst Robin is nearly done, Shulk sneaks up from behind and deals a heavy two-handed blow to the enemy's back. The enemy flies forward.)

Robin: "Thoron!" (Robin follows up with a beam of electricity that pierces the opponent)

Isaac: "Ragnarok!" (Isaac finishes off the opponent by summoning a giant flame sword that plunges through the enemy and the ground, exploding upon contact)

Shulk: "Ha ha! We win!"

Robin: "Now THAT's strategy!"

Isaac: "
"

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

The thing about Shulk, and Xenoblade in general is that it is much more Sci-Fi then it is fantasy. When you actually see Shulk in combat it becomes very apparent, his sword is a giant beam sword that fluctuates in size.

Isaac vs. Robin is interesting. I feel like Isaac is more about power and less about finesse then Robin, in both magic use and sword play. He is a Venus adept, and his power comes from the earth after all.

On top of that, Sakurai seems to be wanting to include fighters with unique gimmicks this time around, and Shulk could provide that with his talent gauge and Isaac could do the same with the Djinn system.

All three would bring VERY different things to the table.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The thing about Shulk, and Xenoblade in general is that it is much more Sci-Fi then it is fantasy. When you actually see Shulk in combat it becomes very apparent, his sword is a giant beam sword that fluctuates in size.

Isaac vs. Robin is interesting. I feel like Isaac is more about power and less about finesse then Robin, in both magic use and sword play. He is a Venus adept, and his power comes from the earth after all.

On top of that, Sakurai seems to be wanting to include fighters with unique gimmicks this time around, and Shulk could provide that with his talent gauge and Isaac could do the same with the Djinn system.

All three would bring VERY different things to the table.
Yeah, I hate that notion. Shulk isn't "just another sword user" either, because he's a sci-fi sword user. The entire Xeno series is Sci-Fi. Well, it is Science Fantasy, a combination of both. Isaac isn't "just another sword user" because he has Psynergy and especially earth magic.

Chrom, unfortunately, is "just another sword user." It'd be something else if he came from a different franchise, then he could probably focus on elements from that franchise, but he's not.

ToonAdri

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Toonadri
In my opinion Isaac is very very hight chances,why nintendo launch the 2 golden sun? why isaac is not a AT?why nintendo have interes for golden sun now? this is very strange

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
In my opinion Isaac is very very hight chances,why nintendo launch the 2 golden sun? why isaac is not a AT?why nintendo have interes for golden sun now? this is very strange
We don't know if Isaac is "not an AT" just yet. The fact that he hasn't been shown yet is a bit suspicious, though. Then again, the only confirmed unlockable AT from Brawl is Shadow, and Sonic was in the demo. (Its also notable that Barbara was thought to have see in the demo, but it was never confirmed.)

Top Bottom