• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I think GS4 will happen, personally. As for Isaac making it in... I think Robin actually HELPS his chances. Robin shows that Sakurai is willing to do things very differently. One thing many have suggested is Robin having the ability to summon Djinn to power of various attacks. I never once considered that a viable option, but now Robin has an entire durability mechanic (which is COMPLETELY awesome due to the fact that durability is a CENTRAL feature of Fire Emblem games), so having Robin summon all four types of djinn to power up different attacks, which is a central feature of Golden Sun games, would be a way to really make him feel unique.

I actually feel more confident about Isaac now than before.
I'm not seeing how Robin neither helps nor hurts his chances.

That's the thing with Isaac, overall. There is simply absolutely nothing pointing either way. The lack of being shown as an AT helps give us some hope, but it doesn't actually change anything, given the fact that he was a secret AT in Brawl.

So, yeah, it's frustrating... We will likely know absolutely nothing about his status either way until the end.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
What makes me more anxious about seeing Isaac this time around, is that I think this might be his last chance. Given the assumption that GS4 might not even happen. =(
The more I think about it the more I think Isaac will be one of those characters who will always be leering over Sakurais shoulder.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If we don't get Isaac or a GS character this time but we do get a GS4 before the next Smash, I'd say at that point GS would probably constitute a series hard for Sakurai to ignore, given that it will also once again cause a popularity spike for Isaac.

And as for getting a GS4... it's a possibility. Camelot tends to only work on portables as of late, and Golf and Tennis are out of the way. The 3DS has a pretty strong install base, especially in Japan, where despite claims GS was at one time popular, and it did decently on the VC there, so I could see Nintendo ok'ing another go at the series if Camelot was for it.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
The truth is, Isaac is a perfect candidate for Smash 4. He fits the "originality" requirement perfectly, which seems to be an important aspects for newcomers (yeah, except Lucina). He can have a fantastic, original moveset, a very different playstyle from the rest of the roster, and most importantly, bring the wonderful world of Golden Sun into Smash, including that wonderful music. :love:

It just needs to happen.

Hey guys, I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm new so I was wondering:
Is Issac a first or second party character? I support him either way, but if he is a second party, it would be interesting to have him in as the first second party character.
LOL, we literally talked about this in the previous page from your post. Check our posts on the subject there for more info.

Eh, I still think "Isaac lets out a howl!" sounds the best thus far.
How about "Isaac is SUMMONED into the battlefield!"

:p

Dragonite_Knight

Smash Rookie
I know, no worries. I just thought it was funny you barely missed us discussing that specific topic. :p
Ah ok. It's hard to tell over the internet whether LOL is used in a mocking manner (which is the only time I ever use it, so I'm most accustomed to it) or if someone is actually just laughing.

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
Hey guys I'm new to this thread so excuse me if I say something that's already been said, I'm just now reading up on the old pages but thought I should say something about this.

Right now we have 8 swordsmen (Link,TL,Marth,Ike,Lucina,Robin, Mii, and sorta Pit) in the game. Metaknight is yet to be announced, but there is no doubt he'll be back; Ganondorf is probably getting his swords this time around. So that bumps up the number to 10 swordsmen. To me this is not a problem, but they could make a big deal out of this. Add to that the fact that the two most probable newcomers from an RPG, Isaac and Shulk are two Blonde-ish sword wielders with some type of special power (Psychic, Psynergy) similar to the newest entry to the roster, a sword wielding magic user with blonde-ish hair, Robin.

This bothers me to no end since Isaac and Shulk are my two favorites for joining the roster. What do you guys think?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Hey guys I'm new to this thread so excuse me if I say something that's already been said, I'm just now reading up on the old pages but thought I should say something about this.

Right now we have 8 swordsmen (Link,TL,Marth,Ike,Lucina,Robin, Mii, and sorta Pit) in the game. Metaknight is yet to be announced, but there is no doubt he'll be back; Ganondorf is probably getting his swords this time around. So that bumps up the number to 10 swordsmen. To me this is not a problem, but they could make a big deal out of this. Add to that the fact that the two most probable newcomers from an RPG, Isaac and Shulk are two Blonde-ish sword wielders with some type of special power (Psychic, Psynergy) similar to the newest entry to the roster, a sword wielding magic user with blonde-ish hair, Robin.

This bothers me to no end since Isaac and Shulk are my two favorites for joining the roster. What do you guys think?
As long as a character uses swords and something new, it doesn't bother me. Lucina was an easy clone, I don't think she affects anything either and Mii had to have a sword option because swords are so common, I don't count Mii's as a "character" anyway (they've probably got a slot on the roster, but they're really just a customization option).

I don't know much about Xenoblade, but I see Isaac using his sword for a few attacks but primarily focusing on Psynergy. Also, Robin is about 75% tomes, only switching to swords on occasion. I see Isaac working the same way, but with Psynergy, and Psynergy works completely different to the FE tomes. Especially since Psynergy has both Water and Earth, two elements not featured in Fire Emblem at all.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
I agree with Jaydin... I'd also add that Ganondorf getting a sword in Smash is a longshot.

But yeah, Isaac would be a very different swordsman than the rest, I don't really see a problem there.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If Sakurai had something against adding sword-wielders he wouldn't keep adding sword-wielders.

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
As long as a character uses swords and something new, it doesn't bother me. Lucina was an easy clone, I don't think she affects anything either and Mii had to have a sword option because swords are so common, I don't count Mii's as a "character" anyway (they've probably got a slot on the roster, but they're really just a customization option).

I don't know much about Xenoblade, but I see Isaac using his sword for a few attacks but primarily focusing on Psynergy. Also, Robin is about 75% tomes, only switching to swords on occasion. I see Isaac working the same way, but with Psynergy, and Psynergy works completely different to the FE tomes. Especially since Psynergy has both Water and Earth, two elements not featured in Fire Emblem at all.
There's no denying each would bring something new and unique to the table in terms of a moveset, but their design similarities could have affected their possibility, at least somewhat. Robin however I don't know if you've played FE games before, but weapons have durability and if you use them enough times they break. This is the first character in Smash to use that property, but since we haven't seen much aside from his tomes. We're going to have to wait for some PotD for explanations. So far I think the swords are used for smashes(the Levyn sword causes more knockback when equipped) and tomes for specials while having a mix for tilts an airs.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
There's no denying each would bring something new and unique to the table in terms of a moveset, but their design similarities could have affected their possibility, at least somewhat. Robin however I don't know if you've played FE games before, but weapons have durability and if you use them enough times they break. This is the first character in Smash to use that property, but since we haven't seen much aside from his tomes. We're going to have to wait for some PotD for explanations. So far I think the swords are used for smashes(the Levyn sword causes more knockback when equipped) and tomes for specials while having a mix for tilts an airs.
I've been playing Fire Emblem for years, its one of my favorite Nintendo franchises ever since I first heard about FE in Melee. I've played and beaten all the western-released games except Awakening (and I haven't beaten Shadow Dragon), and I've played and beaten two of the older non-localized FE games as well, and I tried Thracia 776 but never beat it. Yeah, I know about weapon durability, and I think its awesome.

As for design similarities, I only see Isaac using his sword to support Psynergy, with him using his sword for his standard combo and a few standard attacks, otherwise I think his moveset would be 90% psynergy.

ChosenZelos

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys! Just thought I'd say, Isaac is one of my biggest wants for Smash. I loved Golden Sun when I was younger. I haven't really gotten around to Dark Dawn, but I shall at some point!

Hopefully he makes it :D I believe!

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

It's coming to the point where I'm not convinced Sakurai gives a twaddle about the amount of sword users on the roster.

I would guess Sakurai will be satisfied if he can make most of them different to each other.

You know, in a pinch Isaac could forego his sword altogether. He'd be plenty powerful and exciting with just psynergy. (and Djinn) He doesn't have to depend on a sword like most of the others do.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
See, the fact of the matter is that the prospective new sword users (and the known one):
Robin, Shulk, Isaac, Ganondorf (assuming he gets a new moveset) have other things that can be mixed in with them to make them feel original.

Robin has tomes, and in fact, 75% of Robin's moveset appears to be tomes/magic.

Shulk has... well, the Shulk fans would tell you that, but presumably the techniques and skills available to use in Xenoblade (maybe Ether if its similar to past Xeno games), plus the Monado itself and his visions.

Isaac has Psynergy, obviously.

And Ganondorf could have dark magic and keep a few of his fist moves, plus they could potentially make him dual wield as well.

The only exception is Lucina, but she's an easy clone, so I don't count her on that. Basically, all of the prospective sword users can do something else alongside using swords.

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
I've been playing Fire Emblem for years, its one of my favorite Nintendo franchises ever since I first heard about FE in Melee. I've played and beaten all the western-released games except Awakening (and I haven't beaten Shadow Dragon), and I've played and beaten two of the older non-localized FE games as well, and I tried Thracia 776 but never beat it. Yeah, I know about weapon durability, and I think its awesome.

As for design similarities, I only see Isaac using his sword to support Psynergy, with him using his sword for his standard combo and a few standard attacks, otherwise I think his moveset would be 90% psynergy.
Nice, I'm a fan myself. I never bought any of them aside from FE and SS on VC, a friend of mine whose a super fan lended me Awakening recently and I've played through most of it even though I've gotten stuck a good 2 weeks on some parts lol. What I've wanted to play for years is RD, but its too expensive to get right now.

As for Golden Sun, I had the first one as a kid and I can't for the life of me remember much about it. I've got some money to get it on the VC, but I'm still suck on some other RPGs and don't want such a heavy load. When I'm done though I will definitely give it a revisit so I can remember how awesome it was.

What I mean from design is how the character looks not how he plays.

It's coming to the point where I'm not convinced Sakurai gives a twaddle about the amount of sword users on the roster.

I would guess Sakurai will be satisfied if he can make most of them different to each other.

You know, in a pinch Isaac could forego his sword altogether. He'd be plenty powerful and exciting with just psynergy. (and Djinn) He doesn't have to depend on a sword like most of the others do.
I agree, seeing the roster lineup this time its obvious he aimed to make them as unique as possible. I think we won't ever see a clone from one series' character to another (Falcondorf) if he keeps the creative juices flowing as he has. Smash has always been diverse in terms of fighting styles, my gripe is their thought process could change if they notice they have too much of something. Its pretty minor, but I think when they make a game they go through something in a similar fashion where they nitpick at what characters they want in. Maybe that could have affected Chrom's chances and gave way for Robin.

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
When it came to Isaac's situation in Brawl, there was absolutely no evidence he would be included, right until the AT reveal. Now that we know Golden Sun is recognized in the Smash series, mixed with no AT reveal (despite other unlockable ATs showing up during the E3 demos) I think his chances of entering the fray are much more likely.

This topic is currently the 5th most commented character thread on Smashboards, underneath Ridley, K Rool, Fire Emblem (in general) and Shulk. Lucina and Robin got into the game over Chrom because Sakurai listened to the fans. Ridley, K Rool and Shulk all have some evidence pointing to their possible involvement in Smash (ambiguous boss shadow, Kremlings and twitter, respectively).

Mixed with the Gematsu leak being watered down immensely, Isaac's chances are looking good - at least as a DLC prospect if necessary. He may be at the bottom of the barrel based on who we have yet to see, but I think we could see him as an unlockable character.

DivinexRose

Smash Cadet
I'd like to inform that according to ZeldaInformer, Smash 4 full roster will be released next month. This may be the final stretch for all of us.

I'd link it, but I'm on mobile right now. Or if someone would like to link it, that works too.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'd like to inform that according to ZeldaInformer, Smash 4 full roster will be released next month. This may be the final stretch for all of us.

I'd link it, but I'm on mobile right now. Or if someone would like to link it, that works too.
I read it. Based on what I have heard, CoroCoro claimed to do the same thing for Brawl, but they only announced the characters we already knew at the time.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
If Sakurai had something against adding sword-wielders he wouldn't keep adding sword-wielders.
This in a nutshell. There are so many unique fighters who don't use swords so adding one more who doesn't really need the sword to be amazing shouldn't hurt.

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
Both look towards the assailant who is revealed to be: Isaac! "Isaac Shakes Things Up", then cut to actual Smash gameplay of Isaac and footage of him beating up everybody with earth magic and then footage of him using sword attacks too!

At the end we see Isaac with one Move Hand angled towards Ness and a sword in his other hand pointing towards MK both of which ready to fight this newcomer. END OF TRAILER.
The whole trailer would be done in the artstyle of the official art on the game boxes of the GS series.
"Isaac Shakes Things Up!" makes a lot of sense for a newcomer tagline. :laugh: An Isaac trailer with Golden Sun concept art visuals would be amazing; the series has some of the prettiest artwork I've ever seen, especially the Golden Sun: Dark Dawn era artwork.

Eh, I still think "Isaac lets out a howl!" sounds the best thus far.
This quote could work well potentially (I love Golden Sun's imagery of a weapon "howling"), although I feel like the "howling" is more reserved for the weapons/Artifacts as opposed to the people/Adepts, not to mention that it reminds me more of those werewolves from the Garoh village... (also, today I learned that the "werewolves" were apparently referred to as "vampires" in the Japanese version of Golden Sun: The Lost Age.. :crazy:)

Or:
'Isaac Moves into battle'
'Isaac casts himself into the fray'
Anyway, Robin relighted my fire for Isaac to! I was thinking Isaac's Psynergy could be similar in function to Robin's Tomes.
Fire > Elfire > Arcfire
Thunder > Elthunder > Arcthunder
Wind > Elwind > Arcwind
Now picture Isaac:
Spire > Clay Spire > Stone Spire
Gaia > Mother Gaia > Grand Gaia
Quake > Earthquake > Quake Sphere
(Of course there would be a trope regarding the "escalation of attack levels".. :laugh: Took a bit of digging, though!)

Actually i always imagine those moves to be Smash attacks of Isaac (Spire FSmash, Gaia USmash, Qauke DSmash) If you dont charge your Smash you always obtain Spire/Gaia/Quake, middle of charge Clay Spire/Mother Gaia/Earthquake, fully charge Smash Stone Spire/Grand Gaia/Quake Sphere.

Isaac Smash with full charge would be attack with a extremely long range, but they require the risk of charging completely the smash attack and the time of charge would make the move predicable. So i think that is fair.
I think this would be a good implementation for Isaac's attacks; it reminds me of how some of Black Mage's attacks in Super Smash Flash 2 (as of version 0.9) gradually become "enhanced versions" as charge time increases. I envision this mechanic primarily for Ragnarok/Odyssey (since that's practically the signature Psynergy move of Isaac)....Ragnarok's size and/or distance could increase the longer the move is charged, turning into Odyssey (a smaller-scale "Triforce Slash"-esque attack?) if you charge the attack to its maximum strength.

----

Might as well post my rough ideas for Isaac's/Matthew's potential special attacks (although a lot of people have posted similar attacks..sigh XD)..
Neutral Special: Ragnarok --> Odyssey (becomes Odyssey only at maximum charge)
Side Special: Move (can manifest as Move, Catch, or Pound - based on mechanics from this post)
Down Special: Spire or Gaia
Up Special:
Growth (similar to Ivysaur's Vine Whip attack from Super Smash Bros. Brawl)
Final Smash: Summoning: Judgment

I think that Isaac (or Matthew?) Sol Blade should be the weapon of choice for a few attacks...I'm not sure how to properly implement the Megiddo unleash..maybe a "30% chance (referencing the typical 35% Unleash rate for most Artifacts) for a Forward Smash attack with the sword to gain a fiery effect" or something..?

Also, someone posted this potential Isaac moveset on Reddit; I think that usage of "Quake" as an Up Special attack would be great (maybe Vine and upwards-propelling Quake could both be options for the Up Special moveslot).. I really loved the mechanics for "Move", though (referenced above).

Finally, this idea would('ve) work(ed) great for an Isaac reveal trailer..:

roydgriffin said:
For his reveal trailer I would imagine Sakurai letting it look like a trailer for masterhand at first, but it then turns out to be Isaac's Psynergy.

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/c...veset_for_isaac_maybe_looks_a_bit_too/cice6mt

Last edited:

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
As long as we're sitting around rationalizing up how Robin affects Isaac's chances, besides being a sword+magic user, here's something else interesting I remembered about Golden Sun.

Isaac's default name in the Japanese version of GS is, in fact, Robin.

And clearly we can't have two seperate characters named Robin in one game. It's bad enough we have two versions of Robin already; they wouldn't add another separate character with the same name. That'd be really confusing on the roster screen. That'd be like having Ryu from Street Fighter and Ryu from Ninja Gaiden in a game together.

So, sadly, Isaac is deconfirmed. :(

Except that he's not. ;)

http://www.smashbros.com/sp/jp/characters/reflet.html

Our Robin = Japan's Reflet
Japan's Robin = Our Isaac

Anyway you slice it, one Robin per roster. :D

Last edited:

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
When it came to Isaac's situation in Brawl, there was absolutely no evidence he would be included, right until the AT reveal. Now that we know Golden Sun is recognized in the Smash series, mixed with no AT reveal (despite other unlockable ATs showing up during the E3 demos) I think his chances of entering the fray are much more likely.

This topic is currently the 5th most commented character thread on Smashboards, underneath Ridley, K Rool, Fire Emblem (in general) and Shulk.
Bandana Dee is very strong one to. It have 100+ pages.(Shulk, like Bandana Dee, are new character of this generation and there getting a lot of attention and love than many old fan Favorite, even retro ones.)

Isaac need to reach 100+. You must believe. I feel very glad that I play Golden Sun, Love it and support for smash. Is still not dis-confirm but am gonna be excited, is they really put him in.

Robin Vs. Isaac<---Sakurai Make it Happen!

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I still think "Isaac lets out a howl!" is the best representation and easter egg to the series.

I also think his up special could be numerous things. IMO, he should have a tether and a up special, much like all the characters seem to have now. (Meaning some aren't just all tether based)

Side B could be Catch, and if used in the air, he would grab the ledge and be pulled to it.

Anyone think its possible since Isaac and Ness are both psychic they're going to be revealed together as somewhat rivals? Also, Earthbound, Earth Adept, etc. I think that's HIGHLY probable.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I still think "Isaac lets out a howl!" is the best representation and easter egg to the series.

I also think his up special could be numerous things. IMO, he should have a tether and a up special, much like all the characters seem to have now. (Meaning some aren't just all tether based)

Side B could be Catch, and if used in the air, he would grab the ledge and be pulled to it.

Anyone think its possible since Isaac and Ness are both psychic they're going to be revealed together as somewhat rivals? Also, Earthbound, Earth Adept, etc. I think that's HIGHLY probable.
Half-life 3 confirmed?
In all seriousness if Isaac isn't in Sakurai will be doing Camelot a disservice as this is the only original game they've ever made (don't quote me on that).
And a very successful one at that Golden Sun is a big enough series to get in and as many have said before sometimes no info is the best info.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I haven't posted here since Robin's reveal... Anyway, the similarities between Isaac and Robin is really grasping at straws.

If we get random video reveals like Monday's one, maybe a Isaac vs. Shulk one won't be so farfetched.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
As long as we're sitting around rationalizing up how Robin affects Isaac's chances, besides being a sword+magic user, here's something else interesting I remembered about Golden Sun.

Isaac's default name in the Japanese version of GS is, in fact, Robin.

And clearly we can't have two seperate characters named Robin in one game. It's bad enough we have two versions of Robin already; they wouldn't add another separate character with the same name. That'd be really confusing on the roster screen. That'd be like having Ryu from Street Fighter and Ryu from Ninja Gaiden in a game together.

So, sadly, Isaac is deconfirmed. :(

Except that he's not. ;)

http://www.smashbros.com/sp/jp/characters/reflet.html

Our Robin = Japan's Reflet
Japan's Robin = Our Isaac

Anyway you slice it, one Robin per roster. :D
Yeah, we determined that a long time ago.

I haven't posted here since Robin's reveal... Anyway, the similarities between Isaac and Robin is really grasping at straws.

If we get random video reveals like Monday's one, maybe a Isaac vs. Shulk one won't be so farfetched.
What do you mean by similarities? Or do you just mean that some people are grasping at straws thinking Isaac and Robin will be similar? Because frankly I agree, Robin is very unique and has a very Fire Emblem-esque moveset. Isaac would have Psyenergy and a very Golden Sun-esque moveset. That's really the only similarity between the two.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
What do you mean by similarities? Or do you just mean that some people are grasping at straws thinking Isaac and Robin will be similar? Because frankly I agree, Robin is very unique and has a very Fire Emblem-esque moveset. Isaac would have Psyenergy and a very Golden Sun-esque moveset. That's really the only similarity between the two.
Yes, that was what I meant. The similarities end at the point that Isaac and Robin are magic swordsmen.

I don't expect Robin to shoot psynergic hands, nor Isaac to use an electric sword.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276

That's a great idea!

Also, people that don't get the reference of "howling" will think it relates to Isaac being a werewolf.:p

After Toon Link remaining unchanged and Lucina pretty much confirmed as a clone of Marth, I don't see how Robin/Isaac possibly having similar movesets hurts Isaac's chances. If anything, it helps him.

If Isaac needs to be a clone or semi-clone of Robin to get in, then so be it. As long as he's included, I'd be happy. :)
Nah, he'll obviously be a clone of Ivysaur!:troll:

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

I was thinking this myself actually. He could even be revealed fighting off both Ness and Lucas.

Destroyer713

Smash Rookie
You could always have something with Isaac, Shulk, Ness, and Lucas facing off against each other for some reason.

Of course, that seems very similar to what happened with Lucina, Robin, and Captain Falcon, so it proably won't happen because of repetitiveness.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
You could always have something with Isaac, Shulk, Ness, and Lucas facing off against each other for some reason.

Of course, that seems very similar to what happened with Lucina, Robin, and Captain Falcon, so it proably won't happen because of repetitiveness.
Then just have Lucas, Ness and Isaac.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Top Bottom