• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Why yes, I will be reading the whole thing over again. ;D
Only a few more days (for people that actually have a Wii U)...

e105beta

Smash Journeyman

Why yes, I will be reading the whole thing over again. ;D
Only a few more days (for people that actually have a Wii U)...
That video was such a nostalgia trip.

Looks like I know what I'm doing the 17th

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
We really need more new series represented playable, and the only people with good shots from unrepresented series off the top of my head are Isaac, Takamaru, and Pacman. Advance Wars deserves one, but that seems highly unlikely

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
We really need more new series represented playable, and the only people with good shots from unrepresented series off the top of my head are Isaac, Takamaru, and Pacman. Advance Wars deserves one, but that seems highly unlikely
Not to get into any arguments, but Xenoblade also seems likely to happen at this point.
And regardless of the character, the Mii/Wii series not only has a pretty good shot, but is definitely the most important Nintendo series still left unrepresented.

It's a shame that GS is in fact on par with some of the series already included in Smash (more or less), but people see and treat it as one much inferior.

e105beta

Smash Journeyman
Not to get into any arguments, but Xenoblade also seems likely to happen at this point.
And regardless of the character, the Mii/Wii series not only has a pretty good shot, but is definitely the most important Nintendo series still left unrepresented.

It's a shame that GS is in fact on par with some of the series already included in Smash (more or less), but people see and treat it as one much inferior.
I just don't get why people see Xenoblade Chronicles as so much more viable. The only half-decent argument against Golden Sun is relevancy, but Dark Dawn came out a good 4 months after Chronicles. It doesn't win in sales, it doesn't win in legacy, it doesn't win in 1st party-ness.

I just dun't get it.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I just don't get why people see Xenoblade Chronicles as so much more viable. The only half-decent argument against Golden Sun is relevancy, but Dark Dawn came out a good 4 months after Chronicles. It doesn't win in sales, it doesn't win in legacy, it doesn't win in 1st party-ness.

I just dun't get it.
The only reason I see it as more viable now is because of the Sal "leak". But before that, I was right with you, and I still think GS is a much larger series that had a greater impact back in its day.

If Isaac doesn't make it and Shulk does, I'd chalk that up to timing more than anything else. If GS1 and 2 released post-Brawl to the same reception as they had over a decade ago, it'd be clear who would have the greater odds.

e105beta

Smash Journeyman
The only reason I see it as more viable now is because of the Sal "leak". But before that, I was right with you, and I still think GS is a much larger series that had a greater impact back in its day.

If Isaac doesn't make it and Shulk does, I'd chalk that up to timing more than anything else. If GS1 and 2 released post-Brawl to the same reception as they had over a decade ago, it'd be clear who would have the greater odds.
I don't think there's a single thing I like about that leak.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Having played Xenoblade I 100% understand why it would be deserving of a playable slot. It's a brilliant game and one of the most exciting universes Nintendo has provided us with. Easily one of my most enjoyable Nintendo experiences.

So I don't think it's fair to say the game isn't deserving of a playable slot. I think both Golden Sun and Xenoblade are both more than deserving of receiving a playable character.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't think people are saying it isn't deserving (I'm not at least), I just don't think it's as deserving as GS.

I think ultimately they're both fine choices. But I still think GS and Isaac have more in their favour. *shrugs*

e105beta

Smash Journeyman
Exactly, I don't begrudge Shulk a spot in and of itself, I begrudge Shulk a spot if he gets one over Isaac.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
If it came down to it I would definitely pick Isaac, but I strongly want both of them. I think my preference towards Isaac might be caused somewhat by nostalgia but Golden Sun has seniority over Xenoblade.

If I begrudge any character for the absence of Isaac it'll be the Chorus Men.

It's a little insulting that Isaac would be ignored just to include a kooky choice for the sake of a kooky choice character. (If it was Marshall or the Rhythm Girl I could respect it so much more but it's not it's three random white guys that apparently appear in just one mini game, what kind of legacy is that?)

I can't fathom what part of that decision I'm supposed to respect.

Last edited:

Arteen

Smash Lord
Xenoblade hasn't built up a legacy yet, so I'm not expecting more than an assist trophy appearance. Ice Climbers are the only characters to get in with a single game.

Nothing against Xenoblade, but I'd prefer if longer-running series (e.g. Golden Sun, Advance Wars) got priority.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Xenoblade hasn't built up a legacy yet, so I'm not expecting more than an assist trophy appearance. Ice Climbers are the only characters to get in with a single game.

Nothing against Xenoblade, but I'd prefer if longer-running series (e.g. Golden Sun, Advance Wars) got priority.
Xenoblade has one of the fastest growing legacy's actually it's often held as the reviver of the JRPG Genre.
With good reason of course.
And besides that Shulk is the most requested Newcomer in Japan aside from Mewtwo and Roy.
Shulk has a very good chance and so does Isaac.
Don't write off a character just because he's new and doesn't have a big enough "Legacy".

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Xenoblade has one of the fastest growing legacy's actually it's often held as the reviver of the JRPG Genre.
And besides that Shulk is the most requested Newcomer in Japan aside from Mewtwo and Roy.
Don't write off a character just because he's new and doesn't have a big enough "Legacy".
Reviver of the JRPG?
Because the JRPG was ever dead?

e105beta

Smash Journeyman
I'm not writing him off, but I'm also not over-emphasizing his importance.

Being popular =/= high chances. Ridley is clearly not playable, despite the constant denial, and IMO, if Sakurai hadn't added him by Brawl, he was never getting in.

And JRPGs dead? Maybe on the Wii, but I'd argue they were never alive on it in the first place.

Last edited:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Being popular =/= high chances. Ridley is clearly not playable, despite the constant denial, and IMO, if Sakurai hadn't added him by Brawl, he was never getting in.
Not to derail the thread, but considering Ridley's status still isn't confirmed and the very unusual way he has been handled compared to any other character, I'm pretty sure it's not denial to say that we don't know whether Ridley is playable or not yet.

Anyway, if we're talking importance to the JRPG genre as a whole, Shulk is more important as the star of pretty much the most important JRPG on the Wii, as compared to Isaac who was simply the star of one very successful GBA JRPG, a much less rare breed. However, reviving the JRPG? Really? Xenoblade Chronicles was successful, but not that successful, and with franchises like Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Shin Megami Tensei, and Tales very much alive, it's not like the genre needed reviving to begin with. Shulk's got pretty good Smash credentials compared to most, Isaac included; no need to overstate his legacy like that.

Wigglytuff ★

Smash Cadet
With SSB4 as the first Smash for a handheld, it would be nice for the company's handheld legacy to be honored through the likes of Golden Sun or Advance Wars among the character roster.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Xenoblade was one of the most prominent JRPGs on the Wii, but there were also other notable JPRGs on the system such as The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, and Monster Hunter Tri.

Not to mention the tons of JRPGs on the DS and on various non-Nintendo consoles.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Reviver of the JRPG?
Because the JRPG was ever dead?
I'm sorry I should have worded that differently.
What I meant to say is that it was very innovative and open compared to other JRPG's at the time.
Not even the last story and Pandoras Tower was as innovative as Xenoblade.
It sort of revived the genre in THAT way not that it was ever dead but JRPG's were starting to follow the Final Fantasy XIII route.
I apologize for any confusion I caused (Or anger)
I support both so it's not like I'd rather see one or the other in fact if Isaac was in and not Shulk I'd be a happy camper.
I just think that you guys shouldn't write off a character is all.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Only a few more days until Golden Sun's re-release... I cannot wait. Even though I have played both games several times, in a way this next playthrough will be an entirely new experience for me: being able to play Golden Sun on the big screen for the first time.

Kycse

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nin-Kycse
honestly, im probably going to play golden sun on the gamepad. Still can't wait to refresh my memory of the amazing journey i had many years ago though. I'm really hoping they have dullahan as an assist trophy if they did decide on Isaac's Inclusion. Guess we'll have to wait for some info on Isaac on th 17th although i feel like were just gonna get more greninja information.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I still am not believing any leaks, so I still say Isaac has a good chance of making it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
King K.Rool and Mewtwo probably still are higher than Isaac, but he's definitely up there!

Altais

Smash Champion
honestly, im probably going to play golden sun on the gamepad. Still can't wait to refresh my memory of the amazing journey i had many years ago though. I'm really hoping they have dullahan as an assist trophy if they did decide on Isaac's Inclusion. Guess we'll have to wait for some info on Isaac on th 17th although i feel like were just gonna get more greninja information.
Personally, I am hoping I will be able to use the Wii Remote.

I still am not believing any leaks, so I still say Isaac has a good chance of making it.
Rule of Acquisition #190: Hear all, trust nothing.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'm not that hyped for the Thursday pic of the day this week.

Sakurai couldn't really post anything besides an Isaac AT that wouldn't be a blatant hint towards Isaac being playable.....and he's not usually that obvious with his hints.

I mean he's hardly going to post a zoomed in screen of a Venus Lighthouse stage and be like "oooh I wonder what game this stage is from that I'm posting about on April 17th?".

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think people are making a bit much of this VC release meaning anything for any kind of GS reveal.

Not only is it just a VC release, but it's not even the Japanese release. I really doubt we'll be getting anything GS related come Thursday.

Isaac is one of the most, if not the most requested in both NA and Europe, btw.
Yeah, once again, this isn't true either. Like Shulk in Japan, in the west Isaac is in the top 10, but nowhere near the top of that list.

Altais

Smash Champion
If Isaac is playable (which I really, really hope), I am sure he will be revealed when we least expect it. [Shrugs] Or when the final roster is inevitably leaked. Either way, we will know his fate soon enough, what with the 3DS version coming out this summer. And anyway, given how many characters were simultaneously revealed this month, I seriously doubt we will get another one so soon.

Maffewt

Smash Apprentice
People consider Xenoblade a commercial success and Dark Dawn a failure, but there wasn't that much difference in the sales. Plus, Golden Sun has sold more than Punch-out, Kid Icarus and Mother. That's a much bigger boon that people seem to think

Raetah

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, once again, this isn't true either. Like Shulk in Japan, in the west Isaac is in the top 10, but nowhere near the top of that list.
You are wrong this time, Isaac is the most requested character of the Sun System including the people of the Moon, Martians and inhabitants of the Jupiter satellites.
Sakurai can not ignore the millions of petitions of Isaac in Europe (jupiter).

But well... Can you please, explain or direct me to the Sal leak?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

e105beta

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone else noticed that the leak says nothing of whether the mentioned characters will be playable or not? All it does is mention that they will appear in the game.

For all we know, any of those characters could show up as an assist trophy.

Accursed

Smash Journeyman
Well, that's not what I meant. I thought you guys knew Isaac was in the top ten most wanted characters in NA, and the most requested in Europe, along with Professor Layton. :/

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I don't think how popular is the point it's that they are very popular across the world making them both have substantial chances to make it in.
Both of them appearing in the next Smash Bros. isn't an impossibility like a lot of people seem to think.
They can both be in the game it's not going to confuse anyone just because they both have blonde hair.
(Or whatever other reasons people may think)

Last edited:
Top Bottom