• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Blasphemy.

Garet wielded nothing but an axe.

I won't hear otherwise.
Admittedly, I usually made Garret the powerhouse and left him with axes. Of course, though, you could always give Isaac axes as well...

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I ask that this thread's focus be on the character/series of the thread, and not on other characters, or flaming of other users for supporting/detracting a character.

My response may be late, but it still rings true.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I ask that this thread's focus be on the character/series of the thread, and not on other characters, or flaming of other users for supporting/detracting a character.

My response may be late, but it still rings true.
Do you support Isaac too, @ Gunla Gunla ?!

Question guys: If you were ranking the characters from the series in order of importance, what do you think would be the Top 10 characters from Golden Sun? I'm asking for potential future fighters or ATs after Isaac gets in (he WILL get in, right, Nintendo?).

1. Isaac
2. Alex
3. Felix
4. Matthew
5. Jenna (probably my bias placing her this high, but without her, we have no Matthew, so...)
6. Sveta
7. Kraden
8. Hama
9. Ivan
10. Piers

Just quickly thinking things through. This probably needs some revision, so supply your own thoughts.

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
Jenna could be compared to Krystal. She's the love interest of the main character and she would have an original gameplay. Doesn't sound too out of place if we could have more characters than one.

Matthew and Felix could respectively be an alt and a clone or semi-clone (they could both be fully different characters, but we all know how it works in Smash :rolleyes:).

Alex being the Mastermind and the real bad (?) guy of the series could work, but since we never actually fought him, a full moveset would be hard to build for him. If we do fight him in GS4, then, he'd probably be the most requested 2nd character.

Sveta would be a really interesting character, though I don't know if she could work well since the transformations are not a thing anymore.

Kraden, as an annoying AT just like Resetti. Nothing else. :laugh:

Hama, as a trophy. I don't think anything more is possible for characters who don't actually fight.

Then Ivan and Piers would work as fighters in theory, but they don't have enough importance. The same for every other character from one of the teams: Mia, Garet, Sheba, etc.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Jenna could be compared to Krystal. She's the love interest of the main character and she would have an original gameplay. Doesn't sound too out of place if we could have more characters than one.

Matthew and Felix could respectively be an alt and a clone or semi-clone (they could both be fully different characters, but we all know how it works in Smash :rolleyes:).

Alex being the Mastermind and the real bad (?) guy of the series could work, but since we never actually fought him, a full moveset would be hard to build for him. If we do fight him in GS4, then, he'd probably be the most requested 2nd character.

Sveta would be a really interesting character, though I don't know if she could work well since the transformations are not a thing anymore.

Kraden, as an annoying AT just like Resetti. Nothing else. :laugh:

Hama, as a trophy. I don't think anything more is possible for characters who don't actually fight.

Then Ivan and Piers would work as fighters in theory, but they don't have enough importance. The same for every other character from one of the teams: Mia, Garet, Sheba, etc.
Piers could show up on the Lemurian Ship stage, as a background element, though. He should probably rate above Ivan for importance. But Ivan gives you Mind Read. No real way to translate that to Smash, unless we get a Palutena's Guidance-like Mind Read of the fighters.

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
I like seeing stuff like this, it shows people are still interested in not just the character, but the series as well. (Also a Garet AT should just run around and shout random nonsense, kinda like Resetti. Garet always seemed a bit...empty in the head sometimes :p)
FB.PNG

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I like seeing stuff like this, it shows people are still interested in not just the character, but the series as well. (Also a Garet AT should just run around and shout random nonsense, kinda like Resetti. Garet always seemed a bit...empty in the head sometimes :p)
View attachment 54198
Tyrell was the one who was empty in the head. Garet was nothing compared to his son.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

*Verrix*

Smash Apprentice
Here's hoping, as much as I do like King K. Rool, I've wanted Issac in Smash since I saw his AT in Brawl.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So what's new besides the Smashified Inklings?
Japanese Direct showed off a bunch of things, Mario and Sonic Rio (like that's surprising) WITH ACTUAL NEW CHARACTERS (that's flippin' awesome), Chibi Robo 2D platformer... complete with Chibi Robo getting his own Amiibo (yeah, if GS4 gets made, we're -definitely- getting GS Amiibo), first look at Project Treasure, new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, Fire Emblem Amiibo supported in FE If, Dr. Mario 3DS (includes Luigi, too)...

Nothing GS or Camelot related, but that'd probably come at E3 if -anything-.

So what's the general consensus on Isaac's moveset in Super Smash Flash 2?
Potential overpowered-ness aside, is it a good representation of the character?
I haven't really seen it... I guess I'm really just not interested in Super Smash Flash. Especially since Flash is, well, dead. And its dead to me; it always severely lags my system, if not outright crashes it.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Wow, Move has a great amount of variety too it. I kinda like it. I REALLY like the whip growth that can also trap opponents.

The ability to direct where Gaia goes isn't that bad honestly, and the way they handled Lift is quite good as well.

I would still prefer Isaac to only have a few sword attacks, though, and a lot more Psynergy. Isaac has so much Psynergy even from just Earth Psynergy that it could cover most of his attacks except for MAYBE his standard combo. And one idea I had for Isaac's standard combo is using the attack animations of Odyssey (perhaps if he can somehow power up his abilities he can actually create the shockwaves, though that's really iffy).

Definitely do like how they handle both Move and Lift. Perhaps a similar thing can be done but using Djinn instead. Like I've heard an idea from others in the past suggesting that Geode (I think it was Geode?) could throw Isaac for his recovery, if they went with the route of Djinn being his specials.

But that said, again... I highly dislike Psynergy ONLY being used for Specials. I think there can be a lot more variety than that. But Isaac doesn't look too bad in his gameplay here.

Nintendokusou

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EduCard
3DS FC
0817-3740-6417
Garet with an Axe is the best Garet, for me. :grin:

Even if the Smashified team takes too long to make Isaac, there's other fans to make good content:
https://pokerusvgm.bandcamp.com/album/the-sun-sagas-a-musical-tribute-to-the-golden-sun-series
That Elemental Stars remix... so good,,, :crying:

Do you support Isaac too, @ Gunla Gunla ?!

Question guys: If you were ranking the characters from the series in order of importance, what do you think would be the Top 10 characters from Golden Sun? I'm asking for potential future fighters or ATs after Isaac gets in (he WILL get in, right, Nintendo?).

1. Isaac
2. Alex
3. Felix
4. Matthew
5. Jenna (probably my bias placing her this high, but without her, we have no Matthew, so...)
6. Sveta
7. Kraden
8. Hama
9. Ivan
10. Piers

Just quickly thinking things through. This probably needs some revision, so supply your own thoughts.
I seriously expected someone to mention Saturos, I'm surprised no one did! :surprised:

This shows pretty much all of his moves.
That is exactly how I imagined Gaia when working on my article about Isaac!
I liked the way they expanded Move's functionality, seems interesting!
Lift was another clever implementation, but I still would prefer a damaging attack like Meggido...
Growth seems a little bit overpowered though!?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
His Smash attacks are Psynergy too iirc, though they are a bit lackluster.
I missed it. Now that I think about it, I do recall another variation of growth.

I don't really like Gaia, though. It doesn't look like Gaia at all, it looks more like Spire.

Nintendokusou

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EduCard
3DS FC
0817-3740-6417
I missed it. Now that I think about it, I do recall another variation of growth.

I don't really like Gaia, though. It doesn't look like Gaia at all, it looks more like Spire.
Yeah, it looks like Spire!
But that's how I imagine they could control one... Maybe make the sign on the ground less obvious, like Greninja's Shadow Sneak!?

Burruni

Smash Hero
This shows pretty much all of his moves.
Honestly, Lift and Gaia Spire are the only special moves I really like out of it.

Growth... seems like it'd be Confusion with more range in exchange for worse wind up and end lag. And Move... I don't know. I've always thought of Catch + Move + Lift being his set up for the base of his throw game.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Tyrell was the one who was empty in the head. Garet was nothing compared to his son.
Yea Tyrell was basically Camelot taking the fanon version of Garet and mocking him for it x D

Kraden calls a pigeon smarter than him and even Garet is flabbergasted at his son's stupidity.

About the Final smash, I just considered the obscenely powerful badass combo because he doesn't have to get a stage altering final Smash. They might pull an Ike on him (funny considering how Ike is supposedly short for Isaac) and combine all his moves to do a Mega Aether-ish Final Smash.

Although I would take Catastrophe anyday or his more lawful (and judgemental) brother Judgement.

And talking about Remixes, Skyberry Symphony's Golden Sun Legends on Youtube is pretty awesome as well. He did add his own flavour and different instruments, but based it throughout the gameplay of Golden Sun i.e. canonical progression throughout the game starting from Vale to Vault then Kolima and so on.

Pretty decent, check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClfSW002mZOrhzjaRvgY6ww

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Honestly, Lift and Gaia Spire are the only special moves I really like out of it.

Growth... seems like it'd be Confusion with more range in exchange for worse wind up and end lag. And Move... I don't know. I've always thought of Catch + Move + Lift being his set up for the base of his throw game.
I've not always thought of it like that, but eventually I caught on and totally agree, his moveset Psynergy should be his grabs and throws. He can even make his down throw that crushing ability from a later game.

Yeah, it looks like Spire!
But that's how I imagine they could control one... Maybe make the sign on the ground less obvious, like Greninja's Shadow Sneak!?
How it works is great, but not how it looks. It Looks nothing like Gaia.

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace
I like Isaac's SSF2 moveset, however, his back air and down air (specially the down air) really bugs me. As for the back air, I imagine Isaac creating a bamboo stick and holding it and then turning his back and smacking his opponent with it. As for the down-air, I imagine Isaac casting spire and if it fully hits, the opponent will be spiked.

I really like how SSF2 handled Move and I think Ragnarok would be more fit more as neutral special rather than Growth. I see Growth as Isaac's Up-Tilt with very little knockback, making it a great jungling tool.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I like Isaac's SSF2 moveset, however, his back air and down air (specially the down air) really bugs me. As for the back air, I imagine Isaac creating a bamboo stick and holding it and then turning his back and smacking his opponent with it. As for the down-air, I imagine Isaac casting spire and if it fully hits, the opponent will be spiked.

I really like how SSF2 handled Move and I think Ragnarok would be more fit more as neutral special rather than Growth. I see Growth as Isaac's Up-Tilt with very little knockback, making it a great jungling tool.
Well then you might have to get rid of Punji and Nettle.:c

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
Considering Chibi-Robo will get an Amiibo, do you think Isaac and characters from other smaller series could have one as well? :sadeyes:

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace
Considering Chibi-Robo will get an Amiibo, do you think Isaac and characters from other smaller series could have one as well? :sadeyes:
If he gets as DLC, I'm pretty sure he will. If we get GS4 (which I hope) he might also get an Amiibo too, that I hope could also be used in other games (imagine racing in MK8 dressing as Isaac).

Arteen

Smash Lord
I don't really follow Super Smash Flash, so I was wondering if anyone had any idea when Isaac's actually supposed to get in. That teaser was a long time ago.

Spootondorf

Smash Apprentice
I've been working on this post and moveset pretty much all afternoon and evening. I hope everyone likes it.

My opinion on the hand Psynergy is that it's too obvious of a choice for grabs and throws and that, were it to be used for specials, it would be a waste of a slot that some other Psynergy should more rightfully occupy. I do like how it's implemented in Super Smash Flash 2, but it still wastes a special move slot... unless there are somehow more fitting choices for a grab and throws.

I know I've posted my moveset ideas before, but I keep going over it and trying to improve it, so... here I am posting it again. This moveset is the best I've thought of by far, and it incorporates both moves that Isaac demonstrated and ones that he conceivably could use, were he present at the right places and times in Lost Age and Dark Dawn.

Without further ado....

Final Smash: Judgment. Flint and three other Djinn are used for this, after which Flint is put into recovery, with consequences to Isaac – the same as when the level 1 Venus summon is used (see below). The four Djinn circle quickly about Isaac a few times before shooting up into the sky. Anyone caught inside the circle will receive maximal damage and knockback from Judgment, usually KO-ing them. Isaac escapes from the scene via Retreat as Judgment fires down onto the stage. The aforementioned circle is the width of the shot, and when the shot explodes, a shockwave emanates outward, causing high damage and knockback, but not necessarily at "KO-strength" in most circumstances. The shockwave can be dodged without too much difficulty. Isaac then uses Retreat to return to the same location on the stage that he left from.

Grab: Catch. Range is up to two character-widths in front of Isaac. The hand picks the opponent up off the ground ever so slightly and brings it to Isaac, where a second hand -- necessary for pummel and throws, awaits.

Pummel: Slap. The hand that was waiting slaps the enemy while the Catch hand holds it. None of the other hand moves that I can think of are suitable for a stationary beating. Isaac can use Slap if he's wearing the Slap Gloves; I think we shouldn't limit our selections to just moves that Isaac did/could use pre-DD; anything that's game for Isaac in the universe of Golden Sun should be game here.

UThrow: Lift. A quicker version than in GS, it flings the enemy into the air, letting them go once the hands are fully above Isaac's head height.

DThrow: Pound. Pounds the enemy into the ground in front of Isaac. This may cause a techable bounce or burial.

FThrow: Force. One hand, as a fist, hits the enemy and violently propels it away from Isaac.

BThrow: Carry. Behaves similarly to Lift, but moves horizontally and releases the enemy once the hands clear Isaac's character model behind him.

USpec: Megiddo. With the Final Smash slot unavailable and with this move's unsuitability for a normal Smash, I can see it fitting best as a unique recovery. Isaac leaps several Isaac-heights into the air (only vertically, no horizontal movement), his blade visibly heating up, hangs (not literally) for a split second, and slashes a meteor of his size downward at about a 35-40-degree angle from the vertical. The meteor deals a large amount of damage and knockback, and anyone directly hit by Isaac's slash gets spiked in the same direction, with the meteor animation canceled. During and after this move, Isaac is very vulnerable, balancing its power.

DSpec: Flint/Summon Level 1. With Flint, Isaac jumps forward and performs a Djinni-enhanced downward sword slash. After using Flint, Isaac suffers greater knockback until the Djinni is reset. The reset either happens by pressing the button again or by waiting 10 seconds after the summon is performed, which is done by holding the button for a bit. The summon looks the same as in GS, and does a "slow-rise" effect like Gaia, but it makes Isaac's attack Psynergy slightly more powerful until Flint is reset.

SSpec: Grip. A Psynergy hand grabs the enemy up to several character-lengths away and Isaac is flung at them. The hand dematerializes once Isaac reaches his opponent, but while Isaac is still in the air. In the window between the move ending and Isaac touching down, if A is pressed, he will slash his enemy. The momentum gained by the move will carry into the slash, causing either high knockback or good damage. For balance, this move has a good amount of start-up time. In the air, this move is faster and can be used to grab the ledge and pull Isaac to it, though the angle it is useful within is not very wide.

NSpec: Ragnarok/Odyssey. Tapping the button produces Ragnarok, and holding it activates Odyssey. Ragnarok is fast and has decent damage and knockback. It can also spike diagonally downward with the tip of the sword at the tip's final location, but this only works when the tip of the blade is exposed at that point in the attack -- this only happens when the attack terminates in the air (i.e. Isaac is in the air or standing on a ledge). During the giant sword animation, Isaac makes a diagonally downward slashing motion, but while stationary. Said slash will cause damage, making Ragnarok a decently safe move. Odyssey is slow and has no spiking behavior, but it can trap enemies and deals a huge amount of damage and knockback. When the button is held, a small sword pierces the enemy in front of Isaac. If it misses, the rest of the attack cancels. If it hits, the second piercing sword arrives and is guaranteed to hit. With these two swords holding the enemy in place, Isaac smashes a giant spectral sword into the enemy at the same time as he steps forward and slashes the enemy. Odyssey has a longer range than Ragnarok, but it's far easier for it to miss and leaves Isaac very open to attack. He has super armor until the first small sword hits, but he can be hit out of the move any time after that, making Odyssey possibly unwise to use in team battles or free-for-alls.

USmash: Quake. Has the lowest damage and second highest knockback of Isaac's smashes, and functions primarily to hit enemies into the air. With Isaac at the epicenter, columns of earth thrust upward on either side of him. The columns adjacent to Isaac function like the first hitbox of Sheik's USmash, while the others (probably two others on either side) cause much less damage and knockback. The column furthest out on either side has a chance to trip the enemy.

DSmash: Gaia. The earth opens beneath the enemy's feet. The gravitational force pulling them down is slightly overpowered by the rocks flying upward at them, resulting in slow rise rather than normal knockback.

FSmash: Annihilation. As in GS, this is an extremely potent attack. If conditions guarantee the enemy's KO, the kanji will read "kill" – otherwise, the kanji will read "ruin/destroy". Has the highest knockback of Isaac's smashes.

Get-up Attack: Sol Blade's Purgatory (Dark Dawn). Isaac lies (literally) at the center of the attack, though only enemies next to him are hit.

Dash Attack: Sol Blade's Radiant Fire (Dark Dawn). Pretty cut-and-dried, but flashy.

Standard attack: A slash of the Sol Blade. Nothing particularly interesting, though possibly deceptive, especially when your opponent doesn't know Isaac's not "just another swordsman".

Combo attack: Sol Blade's Centurion (Dark Dawn). Ironically, this is like Melee Link's combo attack, which is no longer present.

UTilt: Punji. Bamboo stalks erupt from the ground in front of Isaac, causing vertical knockback.

FTilt: Thorn. A large, thorny plant erupts from the ground, jutting up and to the side. High knockback.

DTilt: Growth. Thorny vines appear right in front of Isaac and tear into his enemies. Has low knockback.

NAir: Oil Drop. A wall of flame moves from in front of Isaac to behind him.

UAir: Gunpowder Bomb. Produces a small explosion if it hits anyone either on the way up or as it descends. Functions like Link's bombs.

FAir: Weasel's Claw. A low-knockback move that harasses enemies in front of Isaac.

BAir: Crystal Powder. A large ball of ice falls diagonally downward from above Isaac's head, crashing into whomever is directly behind him. Has similar knockback to Ganondorf's BAir.

DAir: Spire. Isaac materializes a spire beneath his feet and hops off of it, causing it to fall. This move will spike. It can also only be used once before Isaac lands on a platform. Second jump status is preserved from before the move.

Shield: Psynergy shell, what else?

Spot Dodge: Cloak. Isaac's model disappears and the edges are replaced with a dashed outline.

Air Dodge: Cloak. Functions the same as Spot Dodge.

FRoll: Sand. Isaac becomes sand and quickly burrows forward before reconstituting himself.

BRoll: Sand. Functions the same as FRoll.

Ledge attack: Tremor. Isaac shakes the ground and trips his enemy while rolling onto the platform. Does no damage.

UTaunt: Isaac does the GS "item get" animation with the Mars Star, then tucks it into his pouch/clothing.

STaunt: Isaac appears to have had his Venus Psynergy powered up by a summon, standing with arms raised and sword in hand, with yellow light coming up from the ground beneath him and surrounding him. (This has no effect on his attack strength.)

DTaunt: Isaac faces the screen and a smiling emoji appears above his head.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, the main problem I see is that this moveset might make him extremely over-powered. I initially had him using four Venus Djinn, but I ran into the problem of there not being enough good and suitable Venus Djinni effects. Plus, that would just add to the already huge amount of variation in the rest of his moveset, making him less feasible to implement and far more difficult to fight.

I'm not very satisfied with Spire, to be honest. If it can be used for recovery, I'd prefer it to be DSpec, which I originally had it as. However, all I need to do, really, is remove the recovery aspect and it will look more like Megaman's DAir. But... if you could materialize a platform beneath you, why wouldn't you use it for recovery? *sigh*

With all that said, I think what I've concocted here would be Sakurai's worst nightmare to implement, so if we get Isaac, he won't be anywhere near on the level I've (hopefully) placed him at with this monstrously varied and complicated moveset.

Two of Isaac's specials and an aerial are recovery moves in my moveset, though their properties could, of course, be tweaked. Megiddo takes him straight up. Grip takes him mostly sideways, but potentially a bit up or down, too. And Spire can be used to move closer to the stage horizontally, making the previous two moves more feasible. It just might be a bit too much in the recovery department.

Well, whatever. Long post is long. Hope you liked it.

Last edited:

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
It's just an idea, but I've seen the Nintendo Direct Micro and something caught my attention: In Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympics, Golf is a new sport on the 3DS version of the game. And when someone says "Nintendo" and "Golf" in the same sentence, well... I think you all know what I'm talking about. :urg:

Top Bottom