• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

Nintendokusou

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EduCard
3DS FC
0817-3740-6417
This is the most perfect and complete article I've ever read about why Golden Sun should have a rep in Smash. If you need to explain it to someone who's actually ready to learn about the character, give them this: http://nintendokusou.com/warning-challenger-approaching-isaac-moves-in
And because of this I had to join the boards! All aboard the Isaac train! :estatic:
(Been lurking around for some time now...)
Thank you for sharing this @ Falgor Falgor , it took a lot of work to come up with those moveset ideas, so I'm glad to hear you say that! Embarrass
Also wanted to thank the other users who took a look at the article, glad you liked it that much! :nervous:
Feel free to drop by the site whenever you want and leave me your feedback, it's always appreciated, specially now that I just got started with the site.

Since I'm a huge Golden Sun and Nintendo fan, feel free to add me to the supporter list!
I want a new game and Isaac in Smash so bad! :sadeyes:

By the way guys, can someone tell me where I can find the user IDs to reference you sometimes when using BB Code? I couldn't find them anywhere! :facepalm:

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
And because of this I had to join the boards! All aboard the Isaac train! :estatic:
(Been lurking around for some time now...)
Thank you for sharing this @ Falgor Falgor , it took a lot of work to come up with those moveset ideas, so I'm glad to hear you say that! Embarrass
Also wanted to thank the other users who took a look at the article, glad you liked it that much! :nervous:
Feel free to drop by the site whenever you want and leave me your feedback, it's always appreciated, specially now that I just got started with the site.

Since I'm a huge Golden Sun and Nintendo fan, feel free to add me to the supporter list!
I want a new game and Isaac in Smash so bad! :sadeyes:

By the way guys, can someone tell me where I can find the user IDs to reference you sometimes when using BB Code? I couldn't find them anywhere! :facepalm:
I was about to tell you how but apparently, @ Wintropy Wintropy , :4greninja:'d me. (I was writing when the "a new message" alert came to me)

Welcome to the boards! It was nice to read your article as it lays a pretty good layout for why Isaac is THE character to vote for, for Smash! He definitely deserves a chance and will definitely rock the stage!

Sadly my blog lies in despair as I refuse to update it >.< Glad to see someone else come up and write a cool "Support Isaac" article! And good to see another Isaac supporter joining the discussion after lurking around :p

Last edited:

Nintendokusou

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EduCard
3DS FC
0817-3740-6417
Thanks for trying @ LasermasterA LasermasterA , it's the thought that counts! :grin:
Glad you liked the article! I chose Isaac for the first one in the series because I have a very deep bond with Golden Sun and he is the character I want in the game the most, right now!
That cliffhanger at the end of Dark Dawn is killing me... Damn you Camelot and your "To be Continued" cliffhangers! :crazy:
To tell the truth, I have know about Smashboards for years, since before Brawl even... I just never felt like registering because I'm always busy with a lot of stuff and I get distracted easily sometimes! :laugh:

By the way guys, have you ever seen images from the beta version of Golden Sun? Check these out: http://kprs.laronmi.net/taow/miscellaneous/beta/beta.html

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Thanks for trying @ LasermasterA LasermasterA , it's the thought that counts! :grin:
Glad you liked the article! I chose Isaac for the first one in the series because I have a very deep bond with Golden Sun and he is the character I want in the game the most, right now!
That cliffhanger at the end of Dark Dawn is killing me... Damn you Camelot and your "To be Continued" cliffhangers! :crazy:
To tell the truth, I have know about Smashboards for years, since before Brawl even... I just never felt like registering because I'm always busy with a lot of stuff and I get distracted easily sometimes! :laugh:

By the way guys, have you ever seen images from the beta version of Golden Sun? Check these out: http://kprs.laronmi.net/taow/miscellaneous/beta/beta.html
Yea I remember these images.

Mia was supposed to be in Vale (does that mean Mudshipping was meant to be canon :p) and Jenna was nowhere to be seen. Plus the Proxians looked pretty normal-ish compared to their final dragon-ish scales and more elfish appearance.

Nintendokusou

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EduCard
3DS FC
0817-3740-6417
Yea I remember these images.

Mia was supposed to be in Vale (does that mean Mudshipping was meant to be canon :p) and Jenna was nowhere to be seen. Plus the Proxians looked pretty normal-ish compared to their final dragon-ish scales and more elfish appearance.
Yeah, I wonder if Matthew could have become Nowell's sister if this had happened! :surprised:
I guess that, since the first two games were supposed to be a single one on the N64, when they moved the project over to the GBA and split it into two games they probably decided to review the character roles and designs a little bit!? :confused:
I'm glad they did that because I feel like Jenna makes for a more dynamic and less cliché childhood friend at the start of the game... that is if we can say that anything in Golden Sun isn't cliché!? :rolleyes:
Speaking of elves... where are they? There's an Elven Rapier and an Elven Shirt... but there are no elves? What the heck Camelot? :facepalm:

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace
Welcome to the boards @ Nintendokusou Nintendokusou , really enjoyed your moveset, specially the aerials were pretty original.

As for elves, maybe we will finally see them at GS4? And maybe one can join the party because of Light Psynergy (considering there is already Dark Psynergy and it doesn't have any counterpart).

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Yeah, I wonder if Matthew could have become Nowell's sister if this had happened! :surprised:
I guess that, since the first two games were supposed to be a single one on the N64, when they moved the project over to the GBA and split it into two games they probably decided to review the character roles and designs a little bit!? :confused:
I'm glad they did that because I feel like Jenna makes for a more dynamic and less cliché childhood friend at the start of the game... that is if we can say that anything in Golden Sun isn't cliché!? :rolleyes:
Speaking of elves... where are they? There's an Elven Rapier and an Elven Shirt... but there are no elves? What the heck Camelot? :facepalm:
Yea they did sorta do weird stuff if you look at fantasy. Out of the four elements, Jupiter makes the most sense.

Plus no elves and dwarves only come once!

Golden Sun has one twist though, the one that comes in Lost Age. And the Chekhov's Gun that the Wise One sets, never saw that coming!

Welcome to the boards @ Nintendokusou Nintendokusou , really enjoyed your moveset, specially the aerials were pretty original.

As for elves, maybe we will finally see them at GS4? And maybe one can join the party because of Light Psynergy (considering there is already Dark Psynergy and it doesn't have any counterpart).
Hmm so light elves for light psynergy? (although now almost all of Belinsk knows light psynergy)

And the Tuaparang for Dark?

Nintendokusou

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EduCard
3DS FC
0817-3740-6417

Thanks @ JohnnySparkxs JohnnySparkxs , it took me a full day to come up with the whole moveset! :dizzy:
The idea for the aerials came from three things:
- Isaac should be weaker on the air, since he is a Venus Adept;
- I wanted to include some non-Venus Psynergy in a way that made sense, so I turned to consumable and equippable items;
- I was also trying to figure out a way to represent all battle elements from the games, so I figured they would work better for the aerials because most of his Psynergy is ground related.
There are actually a couple extra ones from Dark Dawn that I considered using, like the Gunpowder Bomb and the Spark Shuriken, but I think those are rarer and not as suitable since they don't appear in the first two games.

Regarding the elves, I agree that they will probably appear sometime in the future. When I got the Elven Rapier for the first time, I was totally expecting them to appear near Kolima Forest, but I was obviously wrong! :laugh:
I still don't know what we should expect from Dark and Light Psynergy. We know there is a clan of Dark Adepts, and that Light ones were born in DD due to the Apollo Lens' light, but they never really told us if they were that important...
However, I do agree elves would fit a Light Psynergy "Lumen" Clan to a tee! :)

When it comes to a playable party of 8, I bet we are getting these characters:
Matthew
Tyrrel
Karis
Mercury Adept (probably a Lemurian warrior and Piers' son, or Amiti again, since they did confirm that he is Alex's son - http://twitpic.com/3foeq0)
Takeru
Mars Adept (maybe a Proxian or Felix's daughter, since the ladies in Prox seem to dig the guy and his sister is a Fire Adept! :laugh:)
Ahri
Nowell
So, I don't know if we will ever have a playable Light or Dark Adept, unless they expand the number of slots or go with an uneven structure... then again, Sol and Luna are mentioned at the start of the very first game...
I'm going to risk it and say that the next game will star Takeru and Nowell right from the start, since she is with Piers and Takeru is mentioned to be travelling in a cool boat, seems to fit... Also, they could start off the game in the middle of Dark Dawn's events, since Nowell stays with Piers and, if I remember correctly, Briggs says they visited Bilibin, which was strangely absent from DD!

And for some reason we don't have a Venus Clan that is specifically called that in the games, either!? :ohwell:

Last edited:

Ludjinnado

Smash Cadet
Yeah, thanks @ Nintendokusou Nintendokusou for writing that article. It was a pleasure to read, but also I'm glad that people like yourself are actively promoting Isaac as a potential Smash Bros. character.
I feel like every new supporter of Isaac's inclusion is one step closer to him as DLC and, more importantly, a new Golden Sun title. Your writing will hopefully inform more people of Golden Sun, so once again, thanks.

Last edited:

Nintendokusou

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EduCard
3DS FC
0817-3740-6417
Yeah, thanks @ Nintendokusou Nintendokusou for writing that article. It was a pleasure to read, but also I'm glad that people like yourself are actively promoting Isaac as a potential Smash Bros. character.
I feel like every new supporter of Isaac's inclusion is one step closer to him as DLC and, more importantly, a new Golden Sun title. Your writing will hopefully inform more people of Golden Sun, so once again, thanks.
Thanks for the kind words @ Ludjinnado Ludjinnado ! The plan is to use this article series to actively try to promote franchises that haven't appeared in Smash yet but clearly deserve to be in, like Golden Sun, Panel de Pon or Advance Wars, to name a few.
I actually just sent an e-mail to the Nintendo PR Employee I usually talk to here in Portugal, and I told him the article is being well received and it would be interesting if they could make it reach Mr. Sakurai and his team, so let's hope it miraculously arrives in Japan somehow! :upsidedown:
The series does need more love from younger players who never heard about it...

@ LasermasterA LasermasterA Yeah, that twist pretty much confirmed to me the Wise One is more than it let's on... He basically predicted the future because he knew Alex would attempt something! Since Mt.Aleph is apparently the Stone of Sages, what is he? :confused:
I'm curious to find out what happens, after all, it is implied that:
- The Wise One is being targeted (probably by our blue-haired friend...);
- Alex might have bathed in the light of the Apollo Lens, since he talks to Matthew from a distance through telepathy, and basically manipulated them into activating the alchemy machines;
- Isaac is missing, and he still unknowingly has the influence of the Mars elemental star.
It seems to me like Alex is trying to gather the power of all elements for himself! To what end, I don't know!?:ohwell:
I just hope it's not another one of those "I want to destroy this world and build it from the ground up" reasons!:smirk:

Last edited:

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
Yeah, that's a really in depth article. The moveset's cool as well, especially how it uses items as his attacks in order to incorporate non-Venus Psynergy. Not to mention how much music he suggested. If that much would be added, I might just die with joy.... and then I wouldn't ever be able to play as Isaac, which would be very annoying.

I'm very glad that people are recognising Isaac's potential as a Smash Bros. character; it makes me very hopeful for his inclusion.

Surement, si vous êtes français, vous devriez venir de Kalos, non? Aussi, j'ai pensé qu'il y aurait des français ici mais je ne veux pas demander pour ne pas violer la vie privée des autres.
Ouais, techniquement on peut dire que je viens de Romant-sous-Bois, en équivalent de Kalos. ;)
C'est juste qu'en ce moment je joue à Rubis Omega. :)
Translation: Technically I'm from Laverre City in Kalos. I just happen to be playing Omega Ruby right now.

I already saw a couple of them but not all, so thanks, I always like to learn about alpha/beta stages of games I enjoy. :seuss:

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace
Thanks for the kind words @ Ludjinnado Ludjinnado ! The plan is to use this article series to actively try to promote franchises that haven't appeared in Smash yet but clearly deserve to be in, like Golden Sun, Panel de Pon or Advance Wars, to name a few.
I actually just sent an e-mail to the Nintendo PR Employee I usually talk to here in Portugal, and I told him the article is being well received and it would be interesting if they could make it reach Mr. Sakurai and his team, so let's hope it miraculously arrives in Japan somehow! :upsidedown:
The series does need more love from younger players who never heard about it...

@ LasermasterA LasermasterA Yeah, that twist pretty much confirmed to me the Wise One is more than it let's on... He basically predicted the future because he knew Alex would attempt something! Since Mt.Aleph is apparently the Stone of Sages, what is he? :confused:
I'm curious to find out what happens, after all, it is implied that:
- The Wise One is being targeted (probably by our blue-haired friend...);
- Alex might have bathed in the light of the Apollo Lens, since he talks to Matthew from a distance through telepathy, and basically manipulated them into activating the alchemy machines;
- Isaac is missing, and he still unknowingly has the influence of the Mars elemental star.
It seems to me like Alex is trying to gather the power of all elements for himself! To what end, I don't know!?:ohwell:
I just hope it's not another one of those "I want to destroy this world and build it from the ground up" reasons!:smirk:
It's nice to see a fellow portuguese Isaac supporter in this thread.
Unfortunately, Isaac isn't that popular here in Portugal :urg:, at least in the portuguese Smash facebook group. However, yesterday, at the Smash Tournament at IA, I found out there are many Isaac supporters and managed to show some how awesome he would be in Smash. :)

Ludjinnado

Smash Cadet
Ouais, techniquement on peut dire que je viens de Romant-sous-Bois, en équivalent de Kalos. ;)
C'est juste qu'en ce moment je joue à Rubis Omega. :)
Translation: Technically I'm from Laverre City in Kalos. I just happen to be playing Omega Ruby right now.
Ça, c'est incroyable. Malheureusement, il n'y a aucune région qui est basée sur l'Angleterre. Aussi, est ce-que 'ouais' veut dire exactement le même que 'oui', ou y a-t-il des connotations différentes? Desolé pour toutes ces questions. Il ne faut pas que vous répondiez du tout, je suis juste un peu curieux.

For those who don't speak French (or if my French is illegible):
"That's incredible. Unfortunately, there isn't a region that's based on England. Also, does 'ouais' mean exactly the same as 'oui', or are there different connotations? Sorry for all these questions. You don't have to respond at all, I'm just a bit curious."

Last edited:

Nintendokusou

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EduCard
3DS FC
0817-3740-6417
It's nice to see a fellow portuguese Isaac supporter in this thread.
Unfortunately, Isaac isn't that popular here in Portugal :urg:, at least in the portuguese Smash facebook group. However, yesterday, at the Smash Tournament at IA, I found out there are many Isaac supporters and managed to show some how awesome he would be in Smash. :)
That's cool, I rarely meet other portuguese in gaming forums! :surprised:
It doesn't surprise me people don't know about him, I mean, the GBA games were made a lot of time ago, in an era where the playstation pretty much dominated in Portugal, and the DS one was rather hard to find in stores around here! Of course people wouldn't care about him when they don't even know him!
At least now we can always point them in the direction of the eShop! :awesome:
I wonder if we will ever see Dark Dawn in there, they released the GBA ones really quickly...

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace
That's cool, I rarely meet other portuguese in gaming forums! :surprised:
It doesn't surprise me people don't know about him, I mean, the GBA games were made a lot of time ago, in an era where the playstation pretty much dominated in Portugal, and the DS one was rather hard to find in stores around here! Of course people wouldn't care about him when they don't even know him!
At least now we can always point them in the direction of the eShop! :awesome:
I wonder if we will ever see Dark Dawn in there, they released the GBA ones really quickly...
Except in NA, I heard they are still waiting for The Lost Age. As for Dark Dawn, I own a copy of it for the DS, but considering Nintendo DS VA is already released if I'm not mistaken, then Dark Dawn may be on its way (and luckily, we might see GS 4 coming for the 3DS, it would be awesome if they showed it at E3, followed by Isaac's reveal trailer).

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Except in NA, I heard they are still waiting for The Lost Age. As for Dark Dawn, I own a copy of it for the DS, but considering Nintendo DS VA is already released if I'm not mistaken, then Dark Dawn may be on its way (and luckily, we might see GS 4 coming for the 3DS, it would be awesome if they showed it at E3, followed by Isaac's reveal trailer).
Yeah, still waiting on Lost Age VC, but I'm openly expecting DK: Jungle Climber to happen now that DS VC is a thing, and since they've already got GS 1-2 in almost everywhere, I think Dark Dawn VC will be a thing, too. I'm going to buy both just so I can have them, though I do have the original Dark Dawn as well (my wife bought it a while back and I didn't even realize she had it). The only GS I don't have ATM is Lost Age.

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
Ça, c'est incroyable. Malheureusement, il n'y a aucune région qui est basée sur l'Angleterre. Aussi, est ce-que 'ouais' veut dire exactement le même que 'oui', ou y a-t-il des connotations différentes? Desolé pour toutes ces questions. Il ne faut pas que vous répondiez du tout, je suis juste un peu curieux.

For those who don't speak French (or if my French is illegible):
"That's incredible. Unfortunately, there isn't a region that's based on England. Also, does 'ouais' mean exactly the same as 'oui', or are there different connotations? Sorry for all these questions. You don't have to respond at all, I'm just a bit curious."
"Ouais", c'est "Oui", mais en un peu plus familier. :laugh:
Pas de souci avec les questions, ceci dit, arrêtons le hors-sujet français. Ou en privé si tu en as d'autres. :)

Translation: "Ouais" is "Yes", but it's a little bit more familiar.
No problem, but let's stop being off-topic here. Ask me in PM if you want, though.

__
About Dark Dawn on VC, I'm pretty confident that we'll see it coming sooner or later too. They just started putting DS games on VC, so it's just a matter of time.

Nintendokusou

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EduCard
3DS FC
0817-3740-6417
As @ JaidynReiman JaidynReiman said, and I can confirm, NA still doesn't have it for whatever reason... :(
I'm surprised, because we have had it since November... it's been around 6 months and still nothing!? :ohwell:
As much as I would love for GS4 to be announced and to get an Isaac trailer, I don't think it will happen, much less if it's both at the same time, unless Camelot already has the game in production... I mean, Isaac won't come before next year, since the ballot ends in October, and I don't want another rushed game just for the sake of releasing both at the same time!
And I guess Dark Dawn will release in the VC first, that might still happen this year.
In fact, it should happen this year because I want to make a playthrough of the 3 games for the site, to help spread the love for Golden Sun! I would even include all those small little tricks people have gathered through the years, like keeping Jenna's clothes before leaving Sol Sanctum or the Turtle Boots near Kolima, for example!

Speaking of that, I already have a nice Samson microphone I could probably use, but I'm still missing a TV capture card, do you guys have any recommendations?
I was also thinking what would have better image quality, the original GS cartridges played on a Gamecube GB Player or the VC games on the eShop?
It's not like I will do this right away, but I can at least research until I'm not broke anymore! :p
(After all, I have site hosting to pay for, I can't just buy things without accounting for that...)

By the way, Nintendo hasn't announced a new game made by Camelot since Mario Golf: World Tour, back in May 2014. If we are lucky, and there is no new announcement of a Camelot developed game until the end of this year, we might have a chance of getting a new Golden Sun... but it's just a very slim possibility, so don't count on it! :rolleyes:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
As @ JaidynReiman JaidynReiman said, and I can confirm, NA still doesn't have it for whatever reason... :(
I'm surprised, because we have had it since November... it's been around 6 months and still nothing!? :ohwell:
As much as I would love for GS4 to be announced and to get an Isaac trailer, I don't think it will happen, much less if it's both at the same time, unless Camelot already has the game in production... I mean, Isaac won't come before next year, since the ballot ends in October, and I don't want another rushed game just for the sake of releasing both at the same time!
And I guess Dark Dawn will release in the VC first, that might still happen this year.
In fact, it should happen this year because I want to make a playthrough of the 3 games for the site, to help spread the love for Golden Sun! I would even include all those small little tricks people have gathered through the years, like keeping Jenna's clothes before leaving Sol Sanctum or the Turtle Boots near Kolima, for example!

Speaking of that, I already have a nice Samson microphone I could probably use, but I'm still missing a TV capture card, do you guys have any recommendations?
I was also thinking what would have better image quality, the original GS cartridges played on a Gamecube GB Player or the VC games on the eShop?
It's not like I will do this right away, but I can at least research until I'm not broke anymore! :p
(After all, I have site hosting to pay for, I can't just buy things without accounting for that...)

By the way, Nintendo hasn't announced a new game made by Camelot since Mario Golf: World Tour, back in May 2014. If we are lucky, and there is no new announcement of a Camelot developed game until the end of this year, we might have a chance of getting a new Golden Sun... but it's just a very slim possibility, so don't count on it! :rolleyes:
Personally I'm counting on it. Odds are honestly very good that Camelot is working on a new Golden Sun game. Whether we get an announcement this year or not, not sure, but I hope we at least get a teaser.

Nintendokusou

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EduCard
3DS FC
0817-3740-6417
Personally I'm counting on it. Odds are honestly very good that Camelot is working on a new Golden Sun game. Whether we get an announcement this year or not, not sure, but I hope we at least get a teaser.
Amen to that! Fingers crossed! :estatic:

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace
It seems they smashified Travis from Mother 4, an odd choice, since it is a fan made game, but it looks cool...
Still waiting for Isaac Smashified, I mean, it's about time.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
It seems they smashified Travis from Mother 4, an odd choice, since it is a fan made game, but it looks cool...
Are you kidding? After Travis got in, it's time for people to flood the Smashified inbox for requests for all their Sonic OCs.

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
I guess that they avoided to smashify the second most popular Nintendo newcomer right after K. Rool. So, we'll see Isaac, but we may see yet another character before, maybe more. Well, anyway if they don't do Isaac, I don't understand anything anymore. :ohwell:

Edit: Also, it was just for the Mother's Day "joke". So it makes sense. They won't only make the characters with the highest chance, I think. They probably plan to do a lot of really different characters for the sake of diversity.

Last edited:

Ludjinnado

Smash Cadet
Really?! A character from a fan-made game... and a Mother/Earthbound/whatever it's called game at that. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Earthbound characters (I like playing both Ness and Lucas in Smash Bros., in fact), but there are far better choices in my opinion.

Is Mother 4 really popular or something? I never really understood the series in general, as it always seemed a bit weird to me (in a bad way).

I guess that they avoided to smashify the second most popular Nintendo newcomer right after K. Rool. So, we'll see Isaac, but we may see yet another character before, maybe more. Well, anyway if they don't do Isaac, I don't understand anything anymore. :ohwell:
There are a lot of things I don't understand, including cruelty, that you can't buy portobello mushrooms loose, and where the cows went. I mean, if the cows come home, they must have gone somewhere in the first place. But where??? I find the whole thing highly suspicious...

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Is Mother 4 really popular or something? I never really understood the series in general, as it always seemed a bit weird to me (in a bad way).
Kind of hard to tell, the game isn't even out yet. It's thought of fairly highly by the MOTHER fan community right now, but who knows what the reaction will be once it releases.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Really?! A character from a fan-made game... and a Mother/Earthbound/whatever it's called game at that. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Earthbound characters (I like playing both Ness and Lucas in Smash Bros., in fact), but there are far better choices in my opinion.

Mother 4 is popular in the Mother community but isn't huge. The series is supposed to be weird. Its the beauty of Mother.

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
Hey guys. I made a Golden Sun stage that's not a lighthouse, Passaj Mountain climb. It's simple with two cliffs and a gorge between them, but floating around are blocks of the special mineral, zol.

It's a bit clustered and I haven't tested how it plays, but let me know what you think!

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHj--t1vcA

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Hey guys. I made a Golden Sun stage that's not a lighthouse, Passaj Mountain climb. It's simple with two cliffs and a gorge between them, but floating around are blocks of the special mineral, zol.

It's a bit clustered and I haven't tested how it plays, but let me know what you think!

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHj--t1vcA
I remember this area a lot. Its a nice idea for a stage that isn't the Venus Lighthouse (although if they do give Isaac a stage it will most likely be that). Since I played Dark Dawn first and its my only GS I like the idea. I had to backtrack through that stupid passage though.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
I didn't actually know a whole lot about Golden Sun. The fights looked pretty, it had good music, and Isaac is in it. That was about it.
And then I read this LP of the first two GS games. It's....wow. Don't read this if you harbor any fond nostalgic memories of the games, unless you intend to set them on fire. I've never seen such bad writing in a game before, I seriously think I could've done a better job.
Is the DS sequel any better? According to Falgor's linked article, it didn't sell as well or get rated as highly (though to be honest, I don't trust ratings regardless because they tend to be broadly arbitrary and meaningless).

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I didn't actually know a whole lot about Golden Sun. The fights looked pretty, it had good music, and Isaac is in it. That was about it.
And then I read this LP of the first two GS games. It's....wow. Don't read this if you harbor any fond nostalgic memories of the games, unless you intend to set them on fire. I've never seen such bad writing in a game before, I seriously think I could've done a better job.
Is the DS sequel any better? According to Falgor's linked article, it didn't sell as well or get rated as highly (though to be honest, I don't trust ratings regardless because they tend to be broadly arbitrary and meaningless).
Its a standard story. Nothing that big. Its just kids saving the world from disaster. What more do you expect. The game's really good with its gameplay. Also that dude exaggerates way too much and it doesn't very much seem like a critical review just a hateful one.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Not a lot I can say to that. Just know that you're losing most of the game in that LP. Heck, you're even losing some of the details of the writing itself, not to mention all the context for it, with the way it's presented there.

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
We already mentioned this LP here. We know Golden Sun is not perfect (just like every other very good game arguably), but the guy who wrote this exaggerates every little thing so damn much. I don't even have words to describe it. I'm someone rather critical when it comes to stories, and I just loved Golden Sun's.

The DS sequel is considered not as good, but the reviews were still good (on average 2 to 3 points below the GBA games, who were at 17-18). The sales were not as good either, but there's some facts explaining it, and Dark Dawn still sold decently despite those problems.

___
Edit: A survey for the next Smashified character. Don't think it's official but well, any mean to try to promote Isaac anywhere is good, for me:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1-P1CGX0Qociad_nASIoCdFrHMhNagXRePClJSyqHxNg/viewform

Last edited:

Nintendokusou

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EduCard
3DS FC
0817-3740-6417
As the person who wrote the article, I can tell you that the DS one is basically more of the same! The only things hindering the game storywise are these:
- certain characters aren't as well developed (because they are obviously only there for this ride...);
- the psynergy vortex plot is set aside for most of the game, only to return at the end, delivering yet another cliffhanger;
- the game ends up raising more questions than answering the ones we already had before;
- there are a number of points of no return, which is mildly annoying.
All of that, combined with the fact the game took 8 years to release after TLA, which is a huge gap.
Most of the original players had either moved away from the series or probably forgotten it existed, and newer players may have felt apprehensive about playing a sequel to games they never heard anything about!
Since TLA is also the end of the 1st arc, it is a tough act to follow, specially with a game that is supposed to start a new adventure and reintroduce us to the world. (a.k.a. people expected more than what they got.)
Also, don't forget the DS already had a strong RPG library at this point and this year (2010) was full of RPG or RPG-like releases. Besides that, the 3DS was also starting to debut, with games like Animal Crossing and Kid Icarus being announced.
All of this might have hindered Golden Sun's sales in many ways.

Regarding the story writing, just like @ POKEMANSPIKA POKEMANSPIKA mentioned, the story is just a "kids saving the world... again..." kind of story. It may have a lot of clichés, yet it manages to subvert some of them and create a living and breathing world that is fun to visit and remember from time to time! And like he said, the games shine the most when it comes to gameplay. The Djinni system is relatively unique and the field psynergy puzzles feel refreshing, to say the least!
And yeah, that guy in the LP exaggerates to much, I had read it before.

@ IvanQuote IvanQuote I liked your stage idea, had totally forgotten about the Zol blocks! :facepalm:
But wouldn't it be more interesting to fight inside the tunnels? There's all those air currents and floating blocks that people could hop onto or drop on top of each other!
And if we are going with Zol blocks, I think the snake in the Ouroboros would be even cooler, but that's just me! :)
For a non-lighthouse stage, I would really like to see the Elemental Star Chamber, with a remix of the music and all! What do you think?

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
As the person who wrote the article, I can tell you that the DS one is basically more of the same! The only things hindering the game storywise are these:
- certain characters aren't as well developed (because they are obviously only there for this ride...);
- the psynergy vortex plot is set aside for most of the game, only to return at the end, delivering yet another cliffhanger;
- the game ends up raising more questions than answering the ones we already had before;
- there are a number of points of no return, which is mildly annoying.
All of that, combined with the fact the game took 8 years to release after TLA, which is a huge gap.
Most of the original players had either moved away from the series or probably forgotten it existed, and newer players may have felt apprehensive about playing a sequel to games they never heard anything about!
Since TLA is also the end of the 1st arc, it is a tough act to follow, specially with a game that is supposed to start a new adventure and reintroduce us to the world. (a.k.a. people expected more than what they got.)
Also, don't forget the DS already had a strong RPG library at this point and this year (2010) was full of RPG or RPG-like releases. Besides that, the 3DS was also starting to debut, with games like Animal Crossing and Kid Icarus being announced.
All of this might have hindered Golden Sun's sales in many ways.

Regarding the story writing, just like @ POKEMANSPIKA POKEMANSPIKA mentioned, the story is just a "kids saving the world... again..." kind of story. It may have a lot of clichés, yet it manages to subvert some of them and create a living and breathing world that is fun to visit and remember from time to time! And like he said, the games shine the most when it comes to gameplay. The Djinni system is relatively unique and the field psynergy puzzles feel refreshing, to say the least!
And yeah, that guy in the LP exaggerates to much, I had read it before.

@ IvanQuote IvanQuote I liked your stage idea, had totally forgotten about the Zol blocks! :facepalm:
But wouldn't it be more interesting to fight inside the tunnels? There's all those air currents and floating blocks that people could hop onto or drop on top of each other!
And if we are going with Zol blocks, I think the snake in the Ouroboros would be even cooler, but that's just me! :)
For a non-lighthouse stage, I would really like to see the Elemental Star Chamber, with a remix of the music and all! What do you think?
Totally forgot about the Ouroboros. I'll look into improving the stage when I have access again.

Also I heard from a questionably reliable source that the story of Dark Dawn was thought up when the creators were drunk. (More specifically, TV Tropes and a broken link).

Starless

Smash Cadet
Not a lot I can say to that. Just know that you're losing most of the game in that LP. Heck, you're even losing some of the details of the writing itself, not to mention all the context for it, with the way it's presented there.
Yeah, the first time I read that LP I was shocked by the criticism so much that I hated the entirety of Golden Sun. I once hated Isaac and Kraden with passion because these two characters are the most criticized in that LP. But once I played the games again and mingled with the Golden Sun community, I started to love it again just like when I first played it as a kid. Besides, the LPer claimed to know everything about the game and it's too easy and bland for him and yet he mentions nothing about weapon unleashes and stuff.

Oh, almost forgot about the introductions. I joined this forum just to hear about our Golden Boy, but I lurked here for a while now. I would like to see him for Smash for obvious reasons already stated here. Add me to the supporter list?

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
What is this "LP" everyone is talking about? Why is it important? From what I understand, it's a dude talking about how much he hates the game. Why should anyone care about his opinion, and why would it make someone else not like GS if they liked it before the "LP"? Boy, I'm full of questions today. People hate things I like everyday. People argue with me about "Skyward Sword", "A Link Between Worlds", "Golden Sun Dark Dawn", and a bunch more. No matter what anyone says, I'll always like what I like, no "LP" in the world is going to make me not like Golden Sun. I'm confused as to why this "LP" has had such an effect on people.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
What is this "LP" everyone is talking about? Why is it important? From what I understand, it's a dude talking about how much he hates the game. Why should anyone care about his opinion, and why would it make someone else not like GS if they liked it before the "LP"? Boy, I'm full of questions today. People hate things I like everyday. People argue with me about "Skyward Sword", "A Link Between Worlds", "Golden Sun Dark Dawn", and a bunch more. No matter what anyone says, I'll always like what I like, no "LP" in the world is going to make me not like Golden Sun. I'm confused as to why this "LP" has had such an effect on people.
It apparently contains the full text of the game, so people use excepts of it to criticize the game's writing.

Never mind that it's ripped completely out of context and specifically presented to make the game look bad.

Top Bottom