• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
If that rumor is true, I must admit, I'll be rather salty. For Ryu to be chosen over a more deserving 3rd party character like Bomberman? No, that...that just doesn't sit well with me. As for Roy? I wouldn't mind, but I hope they at least changed his moves a bit to make him different from Marth. I hope this doesn't hurt Isaac's chances too much. He's really the only character I want that I feel actually has a chance.
The thing is... if Ryu gets in, that means third parties can have multiple reps. That means that Snake isn't really in Bomberman's way anymore, and that is awesome. I also like Roy, so that's cool. #VoteBomber

I still think Wolf is coming soon, and that everything else after that are ballot characters. K. Rool and Isaac seems to be killing it as far as first party characters go, so I think we're still in good shape.

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
I'm really, really, really displeased by this. There's already too much 3rd parties, and they make less and less sense each time there's a new one.

Smash begin to look like a huge dirty mess, in my opinion. I'll accept it if Isaac comes too, but if not, then I won't care about Smash anymore. Probably not a popular opinion, but well...

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I'm really, really, really displeased by this. There's already too much 3rd parties, and they make less and less sense each time there's a new one.

Smash begin to look like a huge dirty mess, in my opinion. I'll accept it if Isaac comes too, but if not, then I won't care about Smash anymore. Probably not a popular opinion, but well...
Yeah, this is really just DLC that DOESN'T FIT. Ryu doesn't belong in Smash. It's like the Mario Kart 8 patch which introduced Mercedes cars, to the global reaction of "Huh? This doesn't feel like Nintendo". He's not iconic enough, he doesn't have the history with Nintendo, and he doesn't deserve it nearly as much as so many other characters, including 90% of the ballot top picks.

The only good things I can draw for this:

We may be getting quite a lot of DLC characters, as these are two more (including a newcomer), I'm still pretty sure Wolf will be coming, and there's the ballot out as well.

We may be getting news on newcomers faster if they have more to announce and develop. I mean, Mewtwo had, what, six months development time? Lucas gets another two. If Roy and Ryu are already in development, that'll be more characters just a couple of months after that. By that time, they can already have the first of the ballot characters worked up, right?

Calane

Smash Ace

I agree, actually. I feel that if a 3rd party character gets in, they must have something to do with Nintendo in some way. Like, Sonic was Mario's rival for a long time, seeing them fight each other makes sense. Mega Man was an NES superstar and was often mistaken for a Nintendo character back then I'm sure. He fits in fine. Pac-Man is just classic, a very important piece of Gaming history, so I don't mind him. Honestly, the only other 3rd party character that fits in at this point is Bomberman. He's not as big or popular as the others, but he has a large history with Nintendo and fits in flawlessly. For them to throw in Ryu...just...blows my mind on so many levels. I don't think they should go crazy with 3rd party characters, but if they must add some more, have them make sense. Ryu, sadly, doesn't make sense at all. If Ryu makes it and Isaac doesn't...oh boy, the salt would be real.

Apollyon

Smash Apprentice
All I am going to say is this:

Remember this is Sakurai we are talking about.

Nintendo seems to be getting alot better at drumming up free marketing for their games, and I would not be surprised if "MassiveHero SoccerGuy" put these sound files in as bait. Think about it from a game development standpoint. If I want to generate the most interest possible in my game, what is the best way to do that? One very simple (and effective) method would be to place baits in your game. After all, a great way to keep your fanbase alive is to get them talking.

Think back to Mortal Kombat, those games were riddled with "rumors" and stories specifically kept alive to keep interest. While Nintendo has not done this before in recent memory, keep in mind what they did at E3 last year, outright acknowledging the Internet's memes.

It also doesn't make logical sense to include these sounds in a patch where they simply are not needed. Either way I look at it, the only way I can see Nintendo putting these "Ryu" references in is to generate discussion. Which worked.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
All I am going to say is this:

Remember this is Sakurai we are talking about.

Nintendo seems to be getting alot better at drumming up free marketing for their games, and I would not be surprised if "MassiveHero SoccerGuy" put these sound files in as bait. Think about it from a game development standpoint. If I want to generate the most interest possible in my game, what is the best way to do that? One very simple (and effective) method would be to place baits in your game. After all, a great way to keep your fanbase alive is to get them talking.

Think back to Mortal Kombat, those games were riddled with "rumors" and stories specifically kept alive to keep interest. While Nintendo has not done this before in recent memory, keep in mind what they did at E3 last year, outright acknowledging the Internet's memes.

It also doesn't make logical sense to include these sounds in a patch where they simply are not needed. Either way I look at it, the only way I can see Nintendo putting these "Ryu" references in is to generate discussion. Which worked.

Thoughts?
Extra files get included all the time.

There was no need to generate new discussion this soon after the Direct, and the release of new DLC.

Plus, Nintendo has never raised discussion through excess data that I can recall. They hate leaks on pretty much every level.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Yeah, this is really just DLC that DOESN'T FIT. Ryu doesn't belong in Smash. It's like the Mario Kart 8 patch which introduced Mercedes cars, to the global reaction of "Huh? This doesn't feel like Nintendo". He's not iconic enough, he doesn't have the history with Nintendo, and he doesn't deserve it nearly as much as so many other characters, including 90% of the ballot top picks.
What? I'm not overly excited if this is legitimate, to be completely honest (do we really need a third Marth?), but saying that Ryu isn't iconic is just objectively wrong (he's the face of Street Fighter, which is pretty much the fighting game), and as far as a history with Nintendo goes, Street Fighter games have been on Nintendo systems since the Super NES, including Super Street Fighter 4 in the early days of the 3DS.

I'm not entirely sure about him not deserving it (that's entirely subjective and open to interpretation), and I sincerely doubt that the leak is legitimate (the allegedly leaked music files are either ones which were already used in the game or taken directly from other games, including (oddly enough) Ryu's supposed victory music), but some of those statements seem a bit off.

Last edited:

Apollyon

Smash Apprentice
Extra files get included all the time.

There was no need to generate new discussion this soon after the Direct, and the release of new DLC.

Plus, Nintendo has never raised discussion through excess data that I can recall. They hate leaks on pretty much every level.
I agree with you an all three of your points, but that wasn't the main point of my statement.

When is new discussion ever bad for a game?

Plus, you took the reason this has to be a "Sakurai" moment out of my mouth. NIntendo hates leaks right? Then why would they put in data which could be used as a "leak?" I just can't see Nintendo allowing such data to get out when they hate leaks so much.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
What? I'm not overly excited if this is legitimate, to be completely honest (do we really need a third Marth?), but saying that Ryu isn't iconic is just objectively wrong (he's the face of Street Fighter, which is pretty much the fighting game), and as far as a history with Nintendo goes, Street Fighter games have been on Nintendo systems since the Super NES, including Super Street Fighter 4 in the early days of the 3DS.
Funny how you have to say "since the SNES", then skip straight to the 3DS, since there were no Street Fighter games on the N64, GameCube, Wii, and the next one isn't coming out on the Wii U.

I guess you're right in that he's the face of Street Fighter, and it is INCREDIBLY easy to envision his moveset. But I just don't associate him with Nintendo AT ALL anymore.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Ryu hasn't been on a Nintendo platform since the GBA. His last Nintendo console appearance was on the SNES.

He's currently one of the signature characters on a fighting game (ie: competitor to Smash) that has been releasing on every platform EXCEPT Nintendo platforms for over a decade.

There's no way to translate him well, since the mechanics of Smash are so different, so few Ryu fans would actually like his Smash incarnation (not to mention, most of them have systems that actually have Street Fighter games on them).

Similar to Banjo, he'd be DIRECTLY advertising the competition.

There has been no confirmation of those files from any other dataminer.

All these make me think that it is nothing but a hoax. Like leaks, datamining can be faked.
I think the rumor is super fake, but to be fair Ryu has been on the 3DS and the Wii.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Well in a sort of good news, Nintendo probably wouldn't put a character like Ryu in the game, if they were not getting something in return from Capcom.

So I guess that might be something to look forward to just in case Ryu gets added.

In other news, looking forward to Isaac is more important. His chances might have increased as there may be more characters planned for DLC than we thought.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I just think people are putting way too much stock in something so easy to fake. It's not exactly hard to rip existing music...

If more claims of Ryu and Roy in the data start emerging, then and only then should this rumor start to be taken seriously.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
They might as very well be scrapped during DLC development.

Just because they have files doesn't necessarily mean that they will be DLC. Their chances just rose quite a bit if this is what it seems to be.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I just think people are putting way too much stock in something so easy to fake. It's not exactly hard to rip existing music...

If more claims of Ryu and Roy in the data start emerging, then and only then should this rumor start to be taken seriously.
We have two data miners now, and The Cutting Room floor are well known for it and fairly respectable. It may not be clinched, but it's a whole lot more likely.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

We have multiple sources reporting it now, and I've heard that the cutting room floor is very reputable.

https://twitter.com/CuttingRoomWiki/status/588467223833882627

Nothing concrete, but we should know one way or another soon enough.

CrimsonKnight

Smash Rookie
I think the rumor is super fake, but to be fair Ryu has been on the 3DS and the Wii.
I think the Wii game was a cross-over game, Tatsunoko x Capcom. As for Roy, I would be okay with his return (assuming he gets a move set change and is not Marth #3) Ryu is a bit odd but I'm not strongly against it. If it is fake (or true), I won't lose any sleep over it.

As for Isaac, hoping he gets in this time. I have been hoping for him since pre-Brawl. (First post... Woo)

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
We have multiple sources reporting it now, and I've heard that the cutting room floor is very reputable.

https://twitter.com/CuttingRoomWiki/status/588467223833882627

Nothing concrete, but we should know one way or another soon enough.
I would actually like someone to show proof of them hacking the game and finding these files. Just posting them online and saying they were there doesn't do it for me. If the Cutting Room Floor wants me to believe them, then they should have links and references to the files and videos of them accessing it.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I dunno how I feel about this.

I don't mind Roy but I could probably list about fifteen third-parties I'd prefer seeing above Ryu.

Having said that, if we had to get any character from a fighting game, I'm glad it's him.

At least it won't effect the poll. Much. There might be more requests for Sega, Capcom, and Namco characters now though.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I just want Wolf to go ahead and be announced. We all know he is coming, and he is taking valuable votes away from other characters!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I have to wonder when these characters are coming though if they're in the files but Wolf isn't. Because I'm still as convinced as ever that he'll be out prior to or jointly with SF Wii U.

Last edited:

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Honestly if TCRF reports that it's true, then I'm inclined to believe them.

I just don't see the point of adding Roy unless he's revamped to the extent of Lucas/Wolf or is an alternate skin. And even if he was revamped I'd still be let down by the fact that we have five Fire Emblem characters from Intelligent Systems and not a single character from the Wars series (Even though Roy wouldn't take as much dev time theoretically). It's funny because Roy was my favorite character in Melee too, oh well.

Even though I'm fairly opposed to having anymore third party characters join the fray, I would rather see Ryu than most other third party candidates; of course, in my opinion, Nintendo characters from non/under-represented franchises come first.

Last edited:

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
I'm going to be REALLY sour if Ryu and Roy get in. Especially Ryu. He has no place in Smash Brothers. I don't care how iconic he is.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I'm going to be REALLY sour if Ryu and Roy get in. Especially Ryu. He has no place in Smash Brothers. I don't care how iconic he is.
Exactly. The only reason I see him getting in is if we get SFV and all of its editions for the Wii U. It makes sense as a marketing ploy, but ridiculous otherwise. Plus, it overshadows Megaman.

Ryu, of all people has crossed over in everything that his presence serves no worth.

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
Anyone remember when they found the names for Chorus Men and Blues (Protoman) in the files? Yeah, and we don't have them now, do we? :p

Now back to your regularly scheduled Isaac?

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Anyone remember when they found the names for Chorus Men and Blues (Protoman) in the files? Yeah, and we don't have them now, do we? :p

Now back to your regularly scheduled Isaac?
To be fair, a name in the file isn't the same thing as a song.

But the point is well taken.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well... there's also a difference between one guy claiming data and several multiple sources, most of which are pretty trustworthy, corroborating the same find.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Well... there's also a difference between one guy claiming data and several multiple sources, most of which are pretty trustworthy, corroborating the same find.
Sources that I would prefer to be more solid (videos of the files being accessed within the game). Giving us just their word and separate files with no proof of their directories does not seem all that convincing.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I'm getting somewhat more hyped by this. It does seem to indicate a somewhat more steady stream of DLC characters than many of us anticipated. Which is fantastic, because I'm still of the opinion that if they pull even TWO characters from the poll, Isaac is getting in.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sources that I would prefer to be more solid (videos of the files being accessed within the game). Giving us just their word and separate files with no proof of their directories does not seem all that convincing.
Yes, the fact that they are just claims at the moment means it's inherently not empirical, but people like The Cutting Room Floor are pretty trustworthy, even I know that.

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
I made a custom stage for Venus lighthouse that I personally LOVE, and with the update I can finally upload and share it with you guys. I think you'll love playing on it!

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHjnwN8pkA

I'm really not sure how downloading and stuff works, hopefully you guys can figure out how to find it by just clicking on the miiverse post but if not, I'm from Canada and I believe it's a Medium size stage (for the search feature thing).

Here are some pics in action (it looks much better than the entire screenshot shows):

The stage does cut off at the bottom, you can't even really see the lava down there normally. The platforms go up and down (the smaller ones move up and down just a bit while the big ones go all the way to the bottom of the screen and back up).

I added some jagged ends underneath on purpose as a sweet spot. But others can come down and strike you back, and you could find yourselves tumbling all the way to the bottom of the lighthouse...

...However unlike the Venus Lighthouse, this lighthouse has a cannon and the bottom that shoots you all the way back up, knocking out anyone in your path.

Maybe the Wise One saves you? ;)

As an added bonus I added ledges to the sides of the lighthouse for anyone who wants to recreate a certain iconic moment :)

In hindsight though maybe I should turn those into actual platforms if possible lol. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow if you all think it makes more sense.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You people realize that Roy and Ryu getting in affects Isaac's chances in no way whatsoever right?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm not really too worried about it. Its a lot more DLC than many were expecting (I was thinking it was very possible, but confirmation is nice), and I DEFINITELY think Nintendo is getting something big out of this. Ryu is extremely iconic, but he doesn't have -that- much representation on Nintendo. At the same time, he has appeared on many Nintendo platforms. Regardless, Nintendo wouldn't do this randomly out of the blue. And Capcom can't afford to pay them.

I think we're either getting a Nintendo vs. Capcom, or Nintendo maybe bought a Capcom IP (Mega Man if any) and Capcom also included "Ryu in Smash Bros." as part of the agreement.

You people realize that Roy and Ryu getting in affects Isaac's chances in no way whatsoever right?
Actually, I think it does. It makes it significantly more likely to get additional ballot characters (since it proves Nintendo is working on quite a few characters at one time) and ultimately increases the odds of Isaac getting into the game.

Top Bottom