• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
You guys are ridiculous. Isaac has no chance. If there are three most likely candidates right now, they are Pink Gold Peach, Toon Dark Pit, and Son Goku.

Kid Icarus and Mario have a stunning lack of representation as it is, and franchises like DK and Golden Sun got way too much attention in this game. Its so lopsided and biased its ridiculous. Plus, our third party reps are laughable and make no sense whatsoever in this game. Pac-Man? Sonic? Come on, now. Son Goku is the best choice, especially considering he actually got his start in video games.

Honestly, people voting for Isaac should just give up. Nobody liked Golden Sun anyway, and it was a poorly received RPG that pales in comparison to classics like Quest 64. And Isaac, as a general character, is a loudmouth that never shuts up in-game, and I suspect he will be equally annoying in Smash as well. He doesn't even use a sword either, and that's definitely something that our current roster lacks.

Face it everyone, Pink Gold Peach and Toon Dark Pit, are more unique, popular, well-known and important to Nintendo's history than Isaac could ever be. And Goku just makes way more sense.

TL;DR Oh ho! Tis funny because it is opposite of truth!

Don't report me, this is a joke, flame shield is up just in case. Isaac for DLC.
I can't tell if you're being serious or not, so here goes:

If you are serious:
Go to hell.

If you're not serious:
heheh. =)

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
You guys are ridiculous. Isaac has no chance. If there are three most likely candidates right now, they are Pink Gold Peach, Toon Dark Pit, and Son Goku.

Kid Icarus and Mario have a stunning lack of representation as it is, and franchises like DK and Golden Sun got way too much attention in this game. Its so lopsided and biased its ridiculous. Plus, our third party reps are laughable and make no sense whatsoever in this game. Pac-Man? Sonic? Come on, now. Son Goku is the best choice, especially considering he actually got his start in video games.

Honestly, people voting for Isaac should just give up. Nobody liked Golden Sun anyway, and it was a poorly received RPG that pales in comparison to classics like Quest 64. And Isaac, as a general character, is a loudmouth that never shuts up in-game, and I suspect he will be equally annoying in Smash as well. He doesn't even use a sword either, and that's definitely something that our current roster lacks.

Face it everyone, Pink Gold Peach and Toon Dark Pit, are more unique, popular, well-known and important to Nintendo's history than Isaac could ever be. And Goku just makes way more sense.

Don't report me, this is a joke, flame shield is up just in case. Isaac for DLC.
Don't come here and ruin our good time wishing for the impossible with your irrefutable logic. :p

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

Honestly, people voting for Isaac should just give up. Nobody liked Golden Sun anyway, and it was a poorly received RPG that pales in comparison to classics like Quest 64. And Isaac, as a general character, is a loudmouth that never shuts up in-game, and I suspect he will be equally annoying in Smash as well. He doesn't even use a sword either, and that's definitely something that our current roster lacks. There is no way he could ever be a unique fighter.

*Proceeds to use Judgement*

Anyway, welcome back! :)

:231:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
As it stands now, being a notable candidate since pre-Brawl, Isaac is probably the longest requested serious contender still with a chance.
Many would argue that K. Rool should've been a contender for longer as well. Diddy Kong probably should've been in Melee and K. Rool in Brawl, but 'eh. It is true that most didn't really consider K. Rool (myself included) since Diddy wasn't in yet.

Today seems to be Isaac's day for Rate Their Chances. So head on over to the thread and share your thoughts on the golden boy!
http://smashboards.com/threads/rate-their-chances-the-dlc-edition-day-3-isaac.398604/
Already did. Can't justify giving him more than 60%, but he's definitely looking really good right now and I'm glad.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
*Proceeds to use Judgement*

Anyway, welcome back! :)

:231:
Oh thanks, I've been floating around, stalking the threads a little now and then, and commenting on an occasional thread. I'm back now because of DLC and balance patches.

Isaac, realistically has probably the best shot of any character, alongside a DK rep (either Dixie or K. Rool) and Wolf (he's pretty much all but confirmed). He was notably absent in the new game as an AT and his series was all but forgotten by the team. His demand is extremely high, his potential is relatively good, even in regards to being unique, and his model could be imported and updated from Brawl. His votes will likely be extremely high on the ballot as well so it'll be hard for them to turn a blind eye.

Anyone got any really cool canonical movesets on here for him? I'm sure they're on these pages somewhere but 325 pages is a lot to search through. Anyone recommend a cool one to look at, because all of mine are let down by my limited knowledge of GS moves. Besides Megiddo from the Sol Blade being a sweet FS.

Coaltergeist

Smash Apprentice

Honestly, people voting for Isaac should just give up. Nobody liked Golden Sun anyway, and it was a poorly received RPG that pales in comparison to classics like Quest 64. And Isaac, as a general character, is a loudmouth that never shuts up in-game, and I suspect he will be equally annoying in Smash as well. He doesn't even use a sword either, and that's definitely something that our current roster lacks. There is no way he could ever be a unique fighter.

I was mad for like 1 second, gj :).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Many would argue that K. Rool should've been a contender for longer as well. Diddy Kong probably should've been in Melee and K. Rool in Brawl, but 'eh. It is true that most didn't really consider K. Rool (myself included) since Diddy wasn't in yet.
That might be true, but it's not really a question of what should've happened, rather what did happen. Diddy Kong was likely locked up in litigation around the time of Melee anyway, which is probably why he didn't even show up in the game. Plus if the data is anything to go by it seems like there would've been a greater chance of getting Dixie over K. Rool until now.

So yeah, K. Rool and Dixie didn't really get much support behind them until Diddy was confirmed, while Isaac's support dates back to before Brawl itself. Or at least... when Brawl was announced.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
That might be true, but it's not really a question of what should've happened, rather what did happen. Diddy Kong was likely locked up in litigation around the time of Melee anyway, which is probably why he didn't even show up in the game. Plus if the data is anything to go by it seems like there would've been a greater chance of getting Dixie over K. Rool until now.

So yeah, K. Rool and Dixie didn't really get much support behind them until Diddy was confirmed, while Isaac's support dates back to before Brawl itself. Or at least... when Brawl was announced.
Well, in regards to Dixie, one major hurdle with that is we KNOW what she was planned for--to be part of a tag team with Diddy.

Anyway, yeah, its definitely nice to see that Isaac is so highly requested.

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
So who would win in a fight?

Link or Isaac?

In general, not in Smash4. Just a general fight.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well, in regards to Dixie, one major hurdle with that is we KNOW what she was planned for--to be part of a tag team with Diddy.
That's true, though it also means that Sakurai entertained the idea of her being playable, which is more than can be said for K. Rool.

Anyway, yeah, its definitely nice to see that Isaac is so highly requested.
It hasn't been like this since maybe 2011!

Funny how Isaac has spiked so many times. That's pretty rare for a character.

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
Depends on how much outside help we're talking about.

Triforce?
Djinn?
Hmmm...

Let's go a Straight up Sword fight. No magic, psynergy, powers or anything, just mano y mano sword fight.

And

A full arsenal of abilities, items, powers and magics.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hmmm...

Let's go a Straight up Sword fight. No magic, psynergy, powers or anything, just mano y mano sword fight.

And

Link.

Isaac

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Hmmm...

And

Isaac's Sol Blade let out a howl! Megiddo!

No Psynergy, no power, just weapon. Link still gets crushed. :)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
In "straight up sword fight," it depends on what sword is being wielded. The Master Sword is awesome... but its biggest use is against the forces of evil. Isaac isn't evil, so if Isaac and Link use their best weapons, Isaac wins hands down.

If they use their full arsenal of abilities... Isaac also wins. Especially if its post-GS2 Isaac.

Mickeyo64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mickeyo64
You have to remember Link carries the indestructible Hylian shield which can block any projectile (Which even means Megiddo) Sorry, even though I love the Golden Sun series I have to say with Links arsenal and experience i'd give fight in favor of Link.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
You have to remember Link carries the indestructible Hylian shield which can block any projectile (Which even means Megiddo) Sorry, even though I love the Golden Sun series I have to say with Links arsenal and experience i'd give fight in favor of Link.
I don't think they listed or considered giant meteor falling down on Link as one of the "projectiles". Sure his shield MIGHT "block" Meggido but Link would still be crushed.

Isaac wins hands down. The games are in totally different leagues with regards to power scaling.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The Hylian Shield blocks any projectile? Sorry, that's not actually legit. The Hylian Shield isn't nearly so powerful.

Spootondorf

Smash Apprentice
The Hylian Shield can protect Link from large rocks spewing out of an active volcano, sure (if he turtles underneath it)... but the Megiddo projectile has the full force of Isaac and the Sol Blade behind it. Seriously, he jumps into the sky and slams a meteor down at his enemies. It might as well be the definition of "meteor smash", heh.

Last edited:

Apollyon

Smash Apprentice
Remember that poll where Daisy was winning because of bot voting? The guy who ran the poll just released the results with all bot voters removed:

http://i.imgur.com/yR2ZPCq.png
http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/32mcez/final_results_the_smash_bros_dlc_reddit_survey_is/

Banjo & Kazooie won but Isaac wasn't too far behind them. King K Rool came third.
Sadly mate, that was already discussed yesterday. ON a different note, remember what I said about Isaac being rated higher than K. Rool?

Just sayin. (Ok, so Isaac wasn't number one, but I was close.)

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Which can block any projectile that comes from directly in front of him, as long as he is standing still. Only Young Link can use it to block shots from above, by turtling beneath it.

Megiddo crashes down from on top of Link. He'd hold up his shield, then get smashed by a meteor far larger than he is.

And without powers, he can't time travel back three days. Link has met with a terrible fate...

Calane

Smash Ace
Which Link are you guys talking about? If you're putting all the Links together with all of their weapons, Link has a ton of invincibility items such as the Cane of Byrna, the Magic Armor, and the Magic Cape (which turns him invisible and negates all damage), Nayru's Love, things like that. Also with the Switch Hook, Link can just switch Isaac in his spot when Megiddo crashes down. Link is a lot tougher than you all give him credit for.

Spootondorf

Smash Apprentice
I think we were really just discussing the version of Link that appears in Smash 4. And he can't turtle under his shield, so he's screwed. :laugh:

The Switch Hook has a short range, anyway, and Isaac would still be way up in the air from batting the meteor down.

Calane

Smash Ace
I think we were really just discussing the version of Link that appears in Smash 4. And he can't turtle under his shield, so he's screwed. :laugh:

The Switch Hook has a short range, anyway, and Isaac would still be way up in the air from batting the meteor down.
So you're just talking about TP Link? He still has the Magic Armor then. As long as he has rupees, he's not taking any damage from anything. I'm not saying Link would win, but that move alone wouldn't be enough to stop him.

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
The Hylian Shield blocks any projectile? Sorry, that's not actually legit. The Hylian Shield isn't nearly so powerful.
It clunks Thoron. Arguably one of the most powerful projectiles out there.

Last edited:

Spootondorf

Smash Apprentice
No, not TP Link. The Link in Smash, as he is in Smash. He only has his sword, Hookshot, bombs, the Gale Boomerang, and a bow. Smash 4 Link and Zelda aren't even the exact same designs from TP, anyway. Link has more SS-like leggings/pants than before.

Besides, even if Smash 4 Link had the Magic Armor, he wouldn't be able to use it -- the rupees are in Mario Kart 8, not Smash.

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
No, not TP Link. The Link in Smash, as he is in Smash. He only has his sword, Hookshot, bombs, the Gale Boomerang, and a bow. Smash 4 Link and Zelda aren't even the exact same designs from TP, anyway. Link has more SS-like leggings/pants than before.
Oh. Lol, sorry for the misunderstanding then. That's not really fair as we don't know which moves Isaac would have in Smash. Comparing Smash Link to normal Isaac doesn't make any sense.

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
Eh, whatever. It's a fruitless exercise, anyway, since there is not just one "Link".
True. I wasn't very specific about which Link we're pitting against our favorite Venus Adept. I think it most cases it goes to Isaac, unless Isaac is using a lesser weapon. In that case, if it's just a straight up sword fight, I think it goes to Link.

As far as characters go, I do think Isaac falls in the well above average category in terms of strength. I don't think he's near like Cloud or the DBZ cast, but he's definitely strong.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

Besides, even if Smash 4 Link had the Magic Armor, he wouldn't be able to use it -- the rupees are in Mario Kart 8, not Smash.
Ok, that rupee comment was just fantastic. Props to you, sir.

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace
It was interesting reading the whole Isaac vs Link thing, who needs screw attack, we'll make our own Death Matches :p .

But yeah, Isaac can manipulate earth, plants, summon giant energy swords, use djinn for more powerful summons, which are all weapons that are way more powerful than Link's weapons, so yeah... Isaac would definitely win.

In Sm4sh, it's a whole different story though.

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
Mewtwo and Lucas are both psychic magic users. So is Isaac. Three of them.
There's three Golden Sun games.
Isaac confirmed.

Mickeyo64

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mickeyo64
If we're talking about Smash 4 Link and normal Isaac with all his best djini, swords, armor and psynergy than it hardly seems like a fair fight. However if you give Link all of his equipment as well then you really do have an interesting fight. You have someone who can control Earth and anything to do with it while you got someone who can literally slow down time and go back too. All i'm saying is that when you have the power to control time, then there's not a lot of things that can stop you. Not to mention he has has powerful spells of his own in the form of medallions and other such items. Power armor. I'm sorry but I truly believe Link take the slight advantage in this.

The one indisputable fact however is that Isaac hasn't done anything on his own. He's always been in a party of 2-8. Whereas Link traverses entires land masses and oceans on his own and has the strength to keep going. Even without sleeping! (I'm looking at you inns in Golden Sun)

Link wins but if Isaac had a full party of adepts with him then Link will most likely meet with a terrible fate.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
True. I wasn't very specific about which Link we're pitting against our favorite Venus Adept. I think it most cases it goes to Isaac, unless Isaac is using a lesser weapon. In that case, if it's just a straight up sword fight, I think it goes to Link.

As far as characters go, I do think Isaac falls in the well above average category in terms of strength. I don't think he's near like Cloud or the DBZ cast, but he's definitely strong.
Did you just mention Cloud and the DBZ cast together? Cloud is way below them.

In the end, Golden Sun is a turn based game so we are just hypothesizing. Even in GS, the power is all over the place. The crew in GS fights enemies from measly Moles to huge dragons which crush them from space and the cast all survives.

Indeed they do not have super strength, but their elements are what makes them so versatile. It is this very versatility that puts Isaac above Link in my opinion. If we take Isaac as a good swordsman, Link might have an advantage BUT if we consider the equipment that Link has got access to, we need to consider Isaac's gear as well.

Those Djinn really, really bump up his abilities (power, speed, endurance) and we can't really scale it against a Zelda game cause the ways their games play are so different. Plus Isaac has so much he can do with Earth, that could make this fight a really, really epic one. Earthquakes, spires, giant spectral swords, vines, etc. Especially if he can control multiple at once. Plus if he gets summons, it's game over for Link, although even Meggido is enough in that situation. And against foes with lower HP (Link in this case), Meggido is a lot more dangerous.

Now Isaac vs Bayonetta, now that would be much more interesting. We can remove limiters from Isaac if he is to fight her. Mewtwo would be a really great fight as well.

Sorry if I wrote something confusing, my thoughts were all over the place.

If we're talking about Smash 4 Link and normal Isaac with all his best djini, swords, armor and psynergy than it hardly seems like a fair fight. However if you give Link all of his equipment as well then you really do have an interesting fight. You have someone who can control Earth and anything to do with it while you got someone who can literally slow down time and go back too. All i'm saying is that when you have the power to control time, then there's not a lot of things that can stop you. Not to mention he has has powerful spells of his own in the form of medallions and other such items. Power armor. I'm sorry but I truly believe Link take the slight advantage in this.

The one indisputable fact however is that Isaac hasn't done anything on his own. He's always been in a party of 2-8. Whereas Link traverses entires land masses and oceans on his own and has the strength to keep going. Even without sleeping! (I'm looking at you inns in Golden Sun)

Link wins but if Isaac had a full party of adepts with him then Link will most likely meet with a terrible fate.
Now that is just due to the genre of the game. Golden Sun is a RPG, and typical JRPGs usually have a cast of multiple characters fighting together.

I still think Isaac would overpower Link outside the balancing of Smash.

Falgor

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3652-0587-5880
Hmmm...

And

In terms of pure skill at using a sword (a normal one), I think Link has a good lead. Though, if they can go all out with magic and equipments, Link has just no chance to win at all.

Now there's something new I must bring on the table:
This Roy/Ryu thing some guy said he found in the new patch... What do you think about it?
If it's true, I don't like it at all.

Top Bottom