• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

JohnnySparkxs

Smash Ace
Hi there, just joined up... (pretty much for this thread so far, as I'm a huge Golden Sun fan!)

Regarding what to say about him in the ballot, I've voted twice for him so far, and I've pretty much gone into detail describing the psynergy he can use in-game, ranging from the elemental spells, to the giant spectral hands/fists- pretty much that he's similar to Robin in that his swordplay is a very minor part of his character, and that he's a very unique and beloved character because of his special powers.

Also, I do have cautious optimism that Isaac is going to make it. Inklings are really cool but they seem way too soon to be added, there's no way Nintendo would put Banjo in the game when a major competitor currently owns the character, and Indie devs are dividing so many people among different characters. (And for some that aren't even on any Nintendo systems! Some people...) But Isaac has really been shining, from what I've seen. I guess you could say he's pretty much...golden.
Welcome to the forums, it's good to know that Isaac supporters are appearing and gathering, together, we will all make Sakurai develop Isaac.

As for 3rd parties, the only one we should be more worried about is Snake, but still, Sakurai's intenstion is to keep them to a minimum and since we already have all the gaming most iconic characters, I would say that Isaac's main rival is King K. Rool (Inklings aren't even out yet, so I'm not concerned about them that much).

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
As for 3rd parties, the only one we should be more worried about is Snake, but still, Sakurai's intenstion is to keep them to a minimum and since we already have all the gaming most iconic characters, I would say that Isaac's main rival is King K. Rool (Inklings aren't even out yet, so I'm not concerned about them that much).
I think Snake might have been an issue, had it not been for the falling out between Konami and Kojima. That throws so many wrenches into the works with Snake. Kojima is Sakurai's buddy, but Konami owns the character? Not an easy to sort out situation, and I don't think Nintendo will want to even CONSIDER taking sides in that battle.

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
I think you're wrong. Every look at the most requested has Isaac on the list, usually as one of the top three.

Wolf is pretty much a guarantee at this point in the minds of most people making votes, so we have pretty much all safely discounted him.

Among the top Nintendo characters are:

K. Rool
Inklings
Isaac

Every list I see, that's the listing. Inklings are still a very iffy prospect. I think they're pretty much guaranteed a spot in Smash 5, by this point, but I don't see them getting into Smash 4 before their game is released or shown to be successful.

But either way, those three are the top characters among Nintendo IPs. Due to licensing, profit sharing of DLC, and Nintendo's views on letting third party characters into Smash (which is supposed to be a celebration of NINTENDO history), those are almost certainly the top characters to get into Smash as DLC.

So, if DLC is added based on the votes, Isaac is likely to be in the top 4 Nintendo characters. If, as we all assume, Wolf is already on the way, Isaac is in the top three. If Inklings aren't allowed in due to how recent they are, Isaac is in the TOP TWO.

If we get 5 more DLC characters, Isaac would seem to be guaranteed. If we get 3 more, he still has a fantastic chance, having a much larger legacy than the Inklings. If we only get 2 more characters, it'll come down to luck, as we'd be likely getting Wolf and one other.

Most of us have this conclusion: Wolf is being added no matter what. Nintendo will make at least two other characters based on the poll results.

If this conclusion is correct, Isaac's chances are VERY good.
This is really sound reasoning and it's very comforting indeed.

I feel the same way! I just can't stress enough that whatever we end up doing, be it making the Ballot Reason as passionate as we can or just spamming the ballot on anything we can get ahold of, we have a lonnnnng 6 months before we hear results

So over the course of that time, we have to stay relatively consistent with our pushing.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
The Inklings will be out next month though. They'll have plenty of time before voting closes.

Even though there are multiple 3rd party characters I'd like to see, realistically I'm only expecting one at most. The rest I think will be Nintendo characters.

As for reasons in the ballot, there's no harm in submitting a mix of logical and passionate reasons for Isaacs inclusion. I feel that's a major strength for Isaac, the fans are passionate AND there's a lot of moveset/fun potential to back it all up.

Last edited:

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
The Inklings will be out next month though. They'll have plenty of time before voting closes.

Even though there are multiple 3rd party characters I'd like to see, realistically I'm only expecting one at most. The rest I think will be Nintendo characters.
I think the key word in Sakurai's set of "rules" for choosing fighters is "History"

"The Character must have a history with Nintendo"

This implies that the character must become an important or significant part of Nintendo in the previous years-- Not months or weeks.

In this regard, I feel Inklings, popular as they are, are a non-threat.

ferioku

Smash Ace
You can multi-vote in the poll you know...
I think the key word in Sakurai's set of "rules" for choosing fighters is "History"

"The Character must have a history with Nintendo"

This implies that the character must become an important or significant part of Nintendo in the previous years-- Not months or weeks.

In this regard, I feel Inklings, popular as they are, are a non-threat.
They can still be a threat, if they get enough votes imo. Although Isaac not only has history but he also has a great fan base and by the looks of it, a lot of votes.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
You can multi-vote in the poll you know...
You can, yes. But Nintendo asked people not to, and probably have IP checks and other means to identify multiple votes from a single individual.

ferioku

Smash Ace
You can, yes. But Nintendo asked people not to, and probably have IP checks and other means to identify multiple votes from a single individual.
Oh no, I meant the survey https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1lDL4AlHjetpp9WYTAb7KXwdtTdjv0zJai2o5GLYTy00/formResponse
xD.

Also, I just noticed that Isaac fills all of Sakurai's four criteria. This never came to mind before tbh...
- The character's inclusion must make people want to buy the game.
- The character must be unique
- The character must fit into the style of Super Smash Bros.
- They must contribute to the game balance.

I'm just here wondering why he wasn't added since brawl =O

Golden sun is very popular - Isaac has one of the most unique moveset . - definitely would fit into smash and his movepool is massive meaning they could definitely think of something...

Last edited:

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
Oh no, I meant the survey https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1lDL4AlHjetpp9WYTAb7KXwdtTdjv0zJai2o5GLYTy00/formResponse
xD.

Also, I just noticed that Isaac fills all of Sakurai's four criteria. This never came to mind before tbh...
- The character's inclusion must make people want to buy the game.
- The character must be unique
- The character must fit into the style of Super Smash Bros.
- They must contribute to the game balance.

I'm just here wondering why he wasn't added since brawl =O
Yes! This is what makes him such a perfect candidate.

Not only will his appearance be totally unique, but it will make people who like Golden Sun want to play Smash so they can play as Isaac. It will also boost Nintendo's faith in Camelot's Golden Sun series, and possibly convince them to create the rest of the series the originally intended. He fits in with the style and would stand alongside Pit flawlessly-- And we know how Sakurai loves Kid Icarus. And as far as I'm concerned, if Mewtwo would be the "anti-Diddy" match up like some are saying, Isaac would probably make a great counter for Shiek or something.

Also, Side note, how cool would it be if they incorporated Isaac's ability to read minds in some way?

ferioku

Smash Ace
Yes! This is what makes him such a perfect candidate.

Not only will his appearance be totally unique, but it will make people who like Golden Sun want to play Smash so they can play as Isaac. It will also boost Nintendo's faith in Camelot's Golden Sun series, and possibly convince them to create the rest of the series the originally intended. He fits in with the style and would stand alongside Pit flawlessly-- And we know how Sakurai loves Kid Icarus. And as far as I'm concerned, if Mewtwo would be the "anti-Diddy" match up like some are saying, Isaac would probably make a great counter for Shiek or something.

Also, Side note, how cool would it be if they incorporated Isaac's ability to read minds in some way?
That would be awesome, actually, but the only way I could see Isaac reading another characters mind is a reflect ability, which is a bit much considering we have a lot. I think that the mind reader ability belongs to Ivan if I'm correct (and it reminds me a bit to much of skulks ability to see the future).

Last edited:

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
That would be awesome, actually, but the only way I could see Isaac reading another characters mind is a reflect ability, which is a bit much considering we have a lot. I think that the mind reader ability belongs to Ivan if I'm correct (and it reminds me a bit to much of skulks ability to see the future).
I was thinking that perhaps he would have a unique dodge animation or something that gives him the impression that he knew what you were planning all along.

Heck, he could probably have a unique guarding animation too, like Yoshi's Egg, where he puts himself in some kind of Psynergy Bubble.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I was thinking that perhaps he would have a unique dodge animation or something that gives him the impression that he knew what you were planning all along.

Heck, he could probably have a unique guarding animation too, like Yoshi's Egg, where he puts himself in some kind of Psynergy Bubble.
Wait...Does that mean shield bubbles are Psynergy?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Guys I don't think it's about the number of votes. They're probably just trying to see which characters people are most passionate about. Try to be meaningful and varied when you fill out the comments if you're going to go to different computers. I think in this case it really is quality > quantity (although quantity helps the characters stand out too).

If it was about who got the most votes then there would probably be some sort of poll with voting options.
I suspect quantity will matter in narrowing down the candidates into a smaller pool in which quality will start to play a bigger role.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Guys I don't think it's about the number of votes. They're probably just trying to see which characters people are most passionate about. Try to be meaningful and varied when you fill out the comments if you're going to go to different computers. I think in this case it really is quality > quantity (although quantity helps the characters stand out too).

If it was about who got the most votes then there would probably be some sort of poll with voting options.
I have to agree wholeheartedly with this. No matter how many votes a character gets, I have no doubt Sakurai is ultimately going to use his own judgement. That's why, instead of writing about how much a character means to me, I explain in detail how their moveset could differ greatly from the rest of the cast.

Characters like Cat Mario and Pink Gold Peach could easily be made into alternate costumes.

They specifically asked for one vote per person, and are almost undoubtedly using IP tracking to weed out duplicates.
If that is the case, then I truly sympathise with those whom have to share a computer. I could see Nintendo letting it slide if two or three votes come from the same machine, but if ten or fifty votes are coming from the same machine, then they would be suspicious.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Banjo is a more popular character than any of the remaining characters, his popularity has just been stunted since he was sold because people stopped seeing him as a possibility.

The only reason he's not at the top now is because people are still (justifiably) skeptical. If news came in that Banjo was bought back by Nintendo, nobody else would even have a chance at the top spot on the poll.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I find it kind of surprising Daisy is doing so well in that poll. I haven't seen that much support for her in the west.

Dixie Kong is the real shocker though, I knew King K Rool would eat into her votes but I didn't think it would be anywhere near that much. I figured Captain Toad and Bandana Dee would be doing better too.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I find it kind of surprising Daisy is doing so well in that poll. I haven't seen that much support for her in the west.

Dixie Kong is the real shocker though, I knew King K Rool would eat into her votes but I didn't think it would be anywhere near that much. I figured Captain Toad and Bandana Dee would be doing better too.
I have absolutely no idea why people want Daisy. She's just Peach but slightly different.

And what's funny is that Sakurai probably had Dixie on his shortlist of candidates but not K. Rool.

Banjo just got a lot of votes because ZeRo just put out his personal Top 5 an Banjo was on the list...
=_=
I didn't even know he did that. Not as many people follow Zero as some of the news sites that reported on Spencer's tweet. That's the main reason Banjo is popular.

StrikeBlade

Smash Apprentice
I have absolutely no idea why people want Daisy. She's just Peach but slightly different.
I DO think she should be a full alt for Peach with a different name and voice. It's a bit ridiculous that Olimar and Alph can be a thing but not Peach and Daisy.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I DO think she should be a full alt for Peach with a different name and voice. It's a bit ridiculous that Olimar and Alph can be a thing but not Peach and Daisy.
This is my opinion too. I think Daisy should be a full alt of Peach.

I definitely don't think she warrants her own character.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I suppose that's true but Daisy as her own unique character just seems like a use of time and resources that could be better spent elsewhere.

I assume the newcomers who get included from the poll would all be unique, but who knows.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I feel kinda suspicious about Daisy winning this poll at the moment.

About 10 minutes ago she jumped from about 500 to 1000 in just a few seconds and now she's not budging at all.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Oh so it's rigged.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. -_-
Well, since it was pointed out that you can vote in that poll multiple times... Yeah, useless info. Too easy to throw off. Which is why the official poll will likely through out duplicates.

Spatman

Smash Ace
Daisy and Peach are totally different! I think they incarnate two completely different kinds of Woman

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Daisy and Peach are totally different! I think they incarnate two completely different kinds of Woman
The same could be said about Pit and Dark Pit. Except for the women part.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Having a different personality doesn't mean they wouldn't play similarly. I already know they have different personalities, you didn't need to tell me that.

Last edited:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Daisy? -_-

I mean if someone genuinely wants her, vote for her, I say! But... For the love of all that is good, she better not be chosen. She is not even relevant to her own series. The only non spin-off title she ever appeared in was like 20 years ago.

Top Bottom