• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

JPW

Smash Ace
I was actually very happy to say Isaac's votes building up in that top 50 thread before he decided to make it a survey. There is a lot of support for Isaac. And that shows me there is faith in Golden Sun.

And hopefully Nintendo will let Camelot go back to it. Or have already. I don't know i think Camelot owes Nintendo and the fans a Mario Golf. It's been a long time coming. I prefer they went with Golden Sun.
But "Money Talks" and they'll make more with Mario unfortunately.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Sorry if this is a little off-topic, but am I the only one here whom hopes Camelot will one day make a Golden Sun prequel? Ever since Golden Sun: The Lost Age came out, I have always wanted a prequel to the series.

As all fans of the series know, eons before Isaac's time, alchemy was severely abused by humans, and war and whatnot was raging, which lead to the construction of the elemental lighthouses and the sealing of alchemy. The prequel could take place during those dark days. We could see what the world of Weyard was like back then; what the land looked like, what kind of cultures and creatures there were, and so on. We could learn the true story behind the spirit of the great Gabomba. We could even get to see the city of the Anemos, before it was disconnected from the earth and raised into the sky. If you ask me, Golden Sun: The Lost Age, what with its many stories and mysteries of the past, made the perfect setup for a prequel.

The main character could be a tough female Venus adept whom bares a striking resemblance to Isaac's mother, Dora. Instead of wielding staffs like all the previous female protagonists, she would wield swords, axes, and maces. Like all the previous main characters, she would have no spoken dialogue, except maybe during the very end, like with Felix in the second game. This woman and her clan, and the companions she gains throughout her adventure, could play a huge role in the sealing of alchemy, and the birth of the Wise One.

Hmm, maybe it could be called Golden Sun: Origins.

...Okay, I have rambled long enough...

JPW

Smash Ace
i've always wanted the 3rd to Be Alex's Quest. Where you plays as Alex as he makes all his plans and such. And you kill the good guys. Well not exactly Isaac and Co. But guards and such. And because you had guys like Saturos, Menardi, Agatio, Karst, Felix and Jenna they can always fight alongisde for the good of it all.

Then you get to the end and you face the Wise One but in your reality you actually win, or you fight to win, and the ending is the ultimate ending lol.

But yeah a prequel does sound good.

I actually felt 20 to 30 years was way too much of gap between Lost Age and Dark Dawn. Especially when you look at Alex and his Plans.

Alex: Well damn i couldn't beat Isaac and his friends. I know i'll hook up with some random stranger, and then i'll try and find 2 more idiots to do all the hard work while i set back and work in the shadows and then i'll have my revenge 30 years later when Isaac's children are ready to fight.

Altais

Smash Champion
Hmm, that does sound interesting. Now that I think of it, of all the characters in the series, the one I have always been most curious about is Alex; what went on in his past, what goes on in his mind, etc. Alex is rather a mystery in that regard, is he not?

At some points, I kind of have to agree about the 30-year gap, although I am rather fond of Karis and Amiti. I really wish Dark Dawn was a better game, in terms of story and character depth. (Shrugs) Well, the story was not necessarily bad; I did like the basic concepts (the after effects of the Golden Sun, the psynergy blackholes, the animal people, the dark eclipse)--but it was not, in mine opinion, as deep as it could have been. I understand that it was made because of fan demand, but still...it does pale in comparison to its predecessors. Honestly, I have never been able to bring myself to play through it a second time.

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
I don't know, Alex seems like the kind of villain who always gets others to do his dirty work for him, which, as much as I like him, would probably make for a somewhat boring game XD I'd be totally down for a prequel where you seal alchemy, though. I was kind of hoping Dark Dawn would explore more of the past civilizations shown in The Lost Age, but instead of going to, say, Anemos, or exploring the ruins of Lemuria, or finding out more about Ankhol, or any of the other various locations, it's all just completely new stuff, which I found a bit disappointing. If they do make another game, I just really hope it mixes in some of the old lore.

Also, speaking of stages, I can't be the only one to have made a GS Lighthouse stage with the stage builder, can I? ...Actually, I've made 2, haha - one that has rising platforms on both sides, and one that just focuses on one side. Would love it if there was an actual GS stage.

Sqid

Smash Apprentice
Tht prequel idea does sound awesome. It probably should've been done instead of DD. I think it could be likely, but apparently the first two games are supposed to set the story for the rest of the story, they are the prequels. Unfortunately, I doubt they'd make a prequel to the prequels (unless we all push for it!).

Also, the end of the prequel idea could be setting the elemental stones and founding Vale.

:phone:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
In my opinion, a GS prequel could be interesting. I tend to like prequels in general.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
A GS prequel would definitely be interesting, and it already seems like there would be enough in place to make one, but Camelot's comments seem to hint that if there were any more games, they would take place after Dark Dawn, as the first two were apparently seen as a "prequel" to the main storyline. So my guess is that if/when we get a GS4, it will be a follow-up to Dark Dawn, in a similar way that TLA was a follow-up to the first game, but after this "story arc" has been completed, then there might be a chance at it taking place during a different period in the timeline.

Of course this is all hypothetical, I'd love to get any new GS game, no matter when it took place. My bet is a direct follow-up though, perhaps with a new protagonist as well as Matthew (again like GS2), though that's just a guess. I know I'd like to find out what happened to Felix and see Jenna/Ivan/Mia etc.

Altais

Smash Champion
Hmm, that is kind of true, about the first two games serving as prequels. And I agree about Felix and the rest of the group. One of mine major disappointments with Dark Dawn was the fact that we did not get to meet all the party members of the previous games. I was especially looking forward to seeing Ivan.

If a Dark Dawn sequel does come out, I am hoping the two set main characters will be Matthew and Takeru (the son of Susa and Kushinada). So far, Takeru has been mentioned in the games, but never has he made a physical appearance. I think he would make a great addition to the crew, in place of Himi. Also, I am hoping Sveta gets replaced by a new Jupiter adept; for some reason, I did not really like the whole transformation idea.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
He was my number one for 4 long years. A great character, great potential, amazing everything. Golden Sun needs a character. I support Isaac!!

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
if isaac/matthew isn't in smash 4 then god doesn't exist. outside of people like krom or ghirahim he SHOULD be the biggest lock. wouldn't surprise me if he's not added though

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Just updated the OP with an awesome Isaac palette swap courtesy of Venus of the Desert Bloom.

[collapse=Hypothetical Isaac Palette Swap. Credit to Venus of the Desert Bloom.]
[/collapse]

In addition to palette swaps, I'm guessing that we would get an alt outfit (if those are more widely implemented in SSB4) based on Matthew's outfit, or if Matthew gets in, then based on Isaac's outfit. I know they are different characters, but they look and would work very similarly anyway, so I think it wouldn't be much of a stretch.
Unless the one that doesn't become playable ends up as an AT, then it might get confusing. :dizzy::awesome:

Altais

Smash Champion
Hmm, now that I think about it, alternate costumes do sound pretty cool, though I will not be too disappointed if Smash 4 does not have many of them.

For some weird reason, the idea of Matthew getting in over Isaac has started to grow on me. I will admit, I do like Matthew's outfit better than Isaac's. In the end, though, I will be fine with either of them, so long as they get in.

If Isaac or Matthew does get in the game, I hope their victory theme will be this song instead of the "battle won" tune. Not only does it match with the main Golden Sun theme, it just sounds much more fitting. (Shrugs) Or so I think.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If Isaac or Matthew does get in the game, I hope their victory theme will be this song instead of the "battle won" tune. Not only does it match with the main Golden Sun theme, it just sounds much more fitting. (Shrugs) Or so I think.
I'd be happy with either theme, but the one you posted does represent the series better. The battle won theme just gives me a nostalgia rush more (probably because I heard it more than the main theme), but really GS and GS2's soundtracks were so good almost anything would satisfy me as a victory theme.

I think that the battle won tune is more likely to be the victory theme (though some existing victory themes are pretty random and not what I'd have expected), but if a GS rep gets in, it's practically a guarantee that the main theme would be it's own entire song. It could be both, but personally I think that's unlikely.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Where can I find these japanese polls? I'd like to see how their wanted lists compare to ours.

Oh, and Isaac is my absolute most wanted newcomer. I was crushed when they revealed him as an assist trophy. At least he was the strongest one. ;_;

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Where can I find these japanese polls? I'd like to see how their wanted lists compare to ours.

Oh, and Isaac is my absolute most wanted newcomer. I was crushed when they revealed him as an assist trophy. At least he was the strongest one. ;_;
Japanese polls? Of the Japanese sites I've visited (which I currently do not have links to, sorry) it's mostly just regular Smash discussion, I don't recall seeing any fan made polls. From the discussion though, Isaac (Robin as he's known there) does not come up as often or have as much popularity as he does here, though he still does have some support, and sometimes is acknowledged of having decent western popularity. I think they probably see him as a dark horse candidate. Still more popular, requested, and talked about than Little Mac or Ridley though.

I currently don't have links though, like I said, so unfortunately you'll have to take me at my word, though from the other people who've done some looking on Japanese sites, that's generally the consensus about Isaac.

I can empathize with your upset of Isaac's lack of playability in Brawl, but when he was revealed to be an AT I was just relieved he made the game at all, as up to that point there had been NO Golden Sun content revealed. I still find it strange that there were zero GS stickers, but at least we got a piece of music. Hopefully we'll get more GS content this time around. ;)

D

Deleted member

I wonder how people view Mut in Japan.

Mut = Matthew's Japanese name.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I wonder how people view Mut in Japan.

Mut = Matthew's Japanese name.
While I haven't searched as intensively as someone like Chrono, I only saw him come up maybe once or twice total on several different sites. When Golden Sun is brought up (which isn't that often), it's almost always Isaac that is suggested (though I think I also saw Felix, or, uh, Garcia, brought up once or twice as well, about as often as Mut (lol)). Dark Dawn really wasn't a big deal at all in Japan IIRC, even less so than it was here, so I don't think many people even acknowledge it. I mean, it wouldn't stop Sakurai from picking Matthew if he wanted to, but Isaac pretty much has more popularity in every region.

However, I see Saki suggested much more than Isa as well (and S&P requests are more common than GS ones in Japan), so it could just be like over here, where the original (usually more iconic) protagonist is requested more in general.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Not sure if final smash should be
Judgment(not spelled Judgement)

or Eclipse

Also, I think he should get a pallet swap with Adult Isaac's outfit which is sooooo much cooler than his teen one.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
^Personally I'd choose Judgment over Eclipse, as Judgment is a Venus summon (Isaac's element) while Eclipse is a Jupiter summon. Honestly though, looking at them, it seems like they would have a very similar effect in Smash anyway, with one being a knight and one being a dragon. Either would work though, I suppose.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
How about Megiddo?
Yeah, Megiddo would work. Personally I think a summon is a more likely FS, as they play a larger role in the series than one weapon's effect, and I think Sakurai feels that is a better representation of the character and series, but Megiddo is definitely a possibility. I could even see Isaac being able to use the Megiddo effect without using the Sol Blade, cause Smash works that way. :p

I really should get around to including it in the OP though...

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Heh, you're pretty timely on your responses. You must like Golden Sun as much as me!

I agree, a summon (Judgement) seems most likely for his FS, but maybe Sakurai will surprise us with some kind of allusion to the next GS (Mars Star/incomplete Golden Sun power, anyone?).

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Heh, you're pretty timely on your responses. You must like Golden Sun as much as me!

I agree, a summon (Judgement) seems most likely for his FS, but maybe Sakurai will surprise us with some kind of allusion to the next GS (Mars Star/incomplete Golden Sun power, anyone?).
lol, this was more just good timing, sometimes it takes a while for me to reply. I try to contribute as much as I can, not just because I love Golden Sun, but also in attempt to spread Isaac (or Matthew, or really GS in general) support, which usually happens more when the thread has more activity.

And really there are so many options for Isaac's moveset (including Final Smash) that pretty much anything from the games could be viable, but usually I tend to focus on the attacks and things that Isaac or other Venus adepts in particular do or are associated with, as I think that will be the most likely way Isaac is implemented in Smash.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Almost done with the first game now (though it odds me out actually why it's lot shorter and bit scatterplaced in means of events, I guess you REALLY need to clear Lost Age to get the overall gist of events.)

And I strongly agree that Judgement would be the FS. I think Megiddo would work more as a power effect on a B-move or a critical hit-like ratio on a side smash, in case Isaac uses Sol Blade as his blade in Smash.

Speaking of that, I dunno why I went on doing this but I actually made an analysis on Ivan on being in Smash Bros (maybe because I really like that guy and use it for a certain fanfiction I'm doing). Check out if you like, though adding this might have slight Pokemon or RPQ's themes within:

[COLLAPSE="Smash Bros Analysis: Ivan (Updated!)"]

Ivan (Golden Sun)

Size: 5/10
Weight: 2.5/10
Defense: 3.5/10
Power: 3/10
Special: 8/10
Range: 8.5/10
Speed: 9/10
Jump: 8/10
Ability: Mind Read
Can read people’s minds and attack patterns. Enables the user to attack first and foresee enemy’s strongest attacks.

Battlestyle

Ivan can be classified as a mix of fragile speedster and a spellcaster-type fighter: he’s very quick and nimble, and being a Jupiter Adept,can read his enemy’s movements and attack patterns, enabling him to strike first surehandedly.

Ivan’s fighting style is that of a caster fighter, centering primarily around Psynergy-spells that harness electricity and wind to attack, most of which can inflict considerable amount of damage or annoy his opponents by either blowing them away or stunning them. Many of these spells have an amazing range: thus Ivan’s strengths can be used the best by fighting in distance rather than close combat.
However, Ivan is quite frail and isn’t very strong in means of physical power: while this can be somewhat fixed by equipping him with the stronger weapons below, his low defenses and weight makes him easier to send flying compared to his bulkier companions.

RPQ Notes:
Ivan is in his best when used as a leading supportive caster: his nimble speed and powerful spells can weaken the opponents right in the first moments of battle and provide a helpful start for his teammates to take the “softened” enemies down. Ivan also possesses a great array of buffing spells, which can help his team against more durable enemies if needed.

Special Moves:
Standard Special: Spark Plasma
A long-chargaeble attack. Ivan charges the electric power on his rod or sword, and then calls for purple thunderbolts to hit the area around him.
The amount of thunderbolts and damage depends on how long you have charged, up to 7 bolts. This is one of Ivan’s most potent KO attacks, being quite powerful in both knockback and damage, especially if the bolts manage to hit the opponent multiple times.

Damage: 8%-13% (per bolt) Knockback: Moderate to High

Side Special: Sonic Slash
Ivan swings his rod or sword up to three times depending on the button input, creating 3 purple air swath blades. These have large range due their size (half the size as Ivan) and travels quite far and bear the trademark speed of the Ivan itself. The damage isn’t too much to brag upon but it is a versatile approaching projectile move due it’s range and speed.
Damage: 6-8 per blade. Knockback: Low

Up Special: Whirlwind
Ivan creates a miniature whirlwind in front of him and sends it off. This can blow enemies away, making it an excellent move for edgeguarding. When used in the air, Ivan is enveloped inside a whirlwind which can be moved around and trap in enemies before sending them off to different directions. (Identical to Tornado from Kirby-series)
(Aerial) Damage: 7%-9% if connecting fully. Knockback: Low to Moderate

Down Special: Bind
Ivan casts Bind on his opponent, trapping him or her inside a trigonal seal. This prevents the opponent of using any kind of projectile attack for a short time. If used repeatedly though Bind’s duration and effectiveness diminish until it has no effect: thus the psynergy has to be recharged in time to work again. This move is best used sparingly.

Final Smash: Thor
When activated, Ivan collects up his Jupiter Djinn who form into a magical seal summoning Thor out from his dimension. Thor does a cool freefall until he hits the battlefield with a huge thud, stunning the opponents near him.

When summoned, Thor proceeds to zap Ivan’s opponents severely, similar to Zapdos’s Thundershock from Melee. Then he would move into either direction, left or right, and slam his huge hammer on the ground, killing the opponents in the way. After this he disappears.
If there’s no opponent in the way he’s facing, the opponents were lucky enough to be spared and continue battling. It’s bit based on luck on which way he hits.

Damage:

Shockwave: 12% to 15%.
Thundershock: Up to 40% (if hit by the thundershock from the beginning)
Hammer Slam: 36% and High Knockback

- Notable Moves -

Side Smash: Sonic Smash
Ivan charges his weapon as the Jupiter Djinn Gust is drawn to it inside a purple aura- when released he lunges forward and slashes or strikes the enemy once (or twice) very quickly. Has a chance to hit twice for double damage.

*If equipped with Swift Sword the attack becomes upgraded to hit sometimes three times for tripled damage
Damage: 12%, 16% if fully charged. Knockback: Moderate

Weapons of Choice:
Default: Shaman’s Rod
Medium: Swift Sword
Signature/Strongest Weapon: Kikuichimonji

[/COLLAPSE]

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Great to hear that people are still playing Golden Sun. I should really get around to replaying it again. Have you enjoyed it so far?

I'd definitely recommend playing The Lost Age as well, if just to finish the story arc. :awesome:

Good Ivan moveset too! I haven't really seen many Jupiter movesets, and honestly never really gave much thought to how one would work, but yours is a pretty accurate representation of Ivan and the probable Jupiter playstyle overall.

I did wonder how you envisioned these parts working though:

Can read people's minds and attack patterns. Enables the user to attack first and foresee enemy's strongest attacks.

Weapons of Choice:
Default: Shaman's Rod
Signature Weapon: Kikuichimonji

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Without a doubt, Isaac is the most frustrating to make a moveset. There's almost too many options:laugh:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Speaking of that, I dunno why I went on doing this but I actually made an analysis on Ivan on being in Smash Bros (maybe because I really like that guy and use it for a certain fanfiction I'm doing). Check out if you like, though adding this might have slight Pokemon or RPQ's themes within:

[COLLAPSE="Smash Bros Analysis: Ivan"]
Ivan (Golden Sun)

Size: 5/10
Weight: 2.5/10
Defense: 3.5/10
Power: 3/10
Special: 8/10
Range: 8.5/10
Speed: 9/10
Jump: 8/10

Can read people's minds and attack patterns. Enables the user to attack first and foresee enemy's strongest attacks.

Battlestyle

Ivan can be classified as a mix of fragile speedster and a spellcaster-type fighter: he's very quick and nimble, and being a Jupiter Adept,can read his enemy's movements and attack patterns, enabling him to strike first surehandedly.

Ivan's fighting style is that of a caster fighter, centering primarily around Psynergy-spells that harness electricity and wind to attack, most of which can inflict considerable amount of damage or annoy his opponents by either blowing them away or stunning them. Many of these spells have an amazing range: thus Ivan's strengths can be used the best by fighting in distance rather than close combat.
However, Ivan is quite frail and isn't very strong in means of physical power: while this can be somewhat fixed by equipping him with the stronger weapons below, his low defenses and weight makes him easier to send flying compared to his bulkier companions.

Ivan is in his best when used as a leading supportive caster: his nimble speed and powerful spells can weaken the opponents right in thr first moments of battle and provide a helpful start for his teammates to take the "softened" enemies down. Ivan also possesses a great array of buffing spells, which can help his team against more durable enemies if needed.

B: Spark Plasma (Chargaeble)
Side B: Sonic Slash (Projectile Attack)
Up B: Whirlwind (Blows enemies away and gives him extra height in the air by spinning)
Down B: Bind (Prevents the use of opponent's projectiles for a short time if it hits.)

Final Smash: Thor

Notable Moves:

Side Smash: Mighty Gust
Ivan charges his weapon as the Jupiter Djinn Gust is drawn to it inside a purple aura- when released he lunges forward and slashes or strikes the enemy once (or twice) very quickly. Has a chance to hit twice for double damage.

Damage: 12%, 16% if fully charged. Knockback: Moderate.

Weapons of Choice:

Default: Shaman's Rod
Signature Weapon: Kikuichimonji

[/COLLAPSE]
im all for ivan beeing in smash as well

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Great to hear that people are still playing Golden Sun. I should really get around to replaying it again. Have you enjoyed it so far?

I'd definitely recommend playing The Lost Age as well, if just to finish the story arc. :awesome:

Good Ivan moveset too! I haven't really seen many Jupiter movesets, and honestly never really gave much thought to how one would work, but yours is a pretty accurate representation of Ivan and the probable Jupiter playstyle overall.

I did wonder how you envisioned these parts working though
Of course, I really am enjoying it (though I lament over the fact that the events sometimes feel pretty scatterly placed and the way I already reached the ending of the game...)
And of course, TLA would be the next stop when done with GS. (-lvl-)

About Ivan's added ability and weapons, these are just "fan extras" to make the moveset feel bit more than just a moveset for a Smash-game and help me analyse them more (because I like to analyse characters that much and not to mention it's for a fanfiction I'm doing, hahah!)
I mean, that ability might sound like something working in an RPQ... something like in Pokemon or Tales Of-game if it had a Smash Bros-like system?

Shortly think the ability as a Pokemon-styled ability (I guess Ivan has Forewarn and gets to attack always first regardless of the enemy's speed)

But thanks a lot there N3ON! (-lvl-)^

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Without a doubt, Isaac is the most frustrating to make a moveset. There's almost too many options:laugh:
Yeah, every time I try to make or visualize a moveset for Isaac I feel like I've left something important out, because he just has sooo much to work with. :awesome:

Though I'd take making a moveset for a character that has too much to work with over not enough to work with. That'd frustrate me more, I'm not very creative, lol. :embarrass:

Of course, I really am enjoying it (though I lament over the fact that the events sometimes feel pretty scatterly placed and the way I already reached the ending of the game...)

About Ivan's added ability and weapons, these are just "fan extras" to make the moveset feel bit more than just a moveset for a Smash-game and help me analyse them more (because I like to analyse characters that much and not to mention it's for a fanfiction I'm doing, hahah!)
I mean, that ability might sound like something working in an RPQ... something like in Pokemon or Tales Of-game if it had a Smash Bros-like system?

Shortly think the ability as a Pokemon-styled ability (I guess Ivan has Forewarn and gets to attack always first regardless of the enemy's speed)

But thanks a lot there N3ON! (-lvl-)^
No problem! ^_^
Yeah, at some points the objectives and plot do seem a bit scattered, there's also alot to follow at some points. I don't think I actually understood everything until my second or third playthrough. :laugh::embarrass:

Oh ok, I get what you meant about Ivan now. I was wondering how Mind Read would work in Smash. :lick:
At least now I know how he would work as a Pokemon. :smirk::p

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Oh, you haven't seen anything yet. Wait until you get to the trident quest in Lost Age. You have to play without a guide to fully appreciate just how bad the game design is.

And then it gets worse in Dark Dawn.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
Oh, you haven't seen anything yet. Wait until you get to the trident quest in Lost Age. You have to play without a guide to fully appreciate just how bad the game design is.

And then it gets worse in Dark Dawn.

Bad? are we playing the same game?

iDHasbro

Smash Rookie
I'd love to see Isaac in the new game, as Golden Sun was one of the first RPGs I remember playing, that didn't have the Final Fantasy title.

Plus I am always a fan of a Magic Knight, or simply someone who uses a weapon together with magic.
So that would fit for me perfectly.

His normal attacks and smashes could use his sword, while he's B's all use his Energy.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Finally cleared Golden Sun! Seems like play TLA is a must because the story went into a cliffhanger that I don't wish to be left out. (-l3l-); But overall, the game was good and all. Though I wish characters and the plot would've needed some working... (-?-?-)

Also I went ahead and updated Ivan's moveset with detailed special moves. I dunno if I feel like continuing more but who knows.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

So… it’s kinda been a while since this thread saw some activity. :embarrass:
With several other character topics getting bumped recently, I thought I would pose this question to people to perhaps re-ignite some Isaac and GS discussion:

Do you think that Isaac’s hypothetical potential inclusion in SSB4 will be both his last decent chance at inclusion, and do you think that without being included, his series (which IMO seems to now be dangerously dangling on the edge of permanent dormancy) would ever receive a follow-up? Basically, do you feel that Isaac’s (or Matthew’s) possible inclusion in Smash is the only (likely) way of keeping his series afloat? It’s no secret that Dark Dawn, while not horribly received or anything, didn’t nearly match the level the previous two games did, critically, commercially, or popularity-wise, especially in Japan.

Personally, I feel that even without a GS character being included in Smash, there's no definitive way we can say another GS will never happen, though honestly I do find it unlikely. The fanbase is shrinking, and Camelot always has their Mario sports games to fall back on that do much better commercially anyway. So, while not impossible by any means, I’m not going to hold out hope for a sequel in the current situation, and I feel that Isaac’s inclusion in SSB4 might be the only way the precipitate a future for the series.

It should go without saying that if a Golden Sun character isn’t included this time around, and they (unsurprisingly) do not get a sequel in between SSB4 and whenever the next Smash game comes out, the chance of it still getting a character will be very small, practically nothing. So this could very possibly be the last chance for a GS character to ride the diminishing wave of impact the original games left before they completely miss the boat.

Sadly, this IMO can be said about several of Nintendo’s C-List series, not just Golden Sun, however this is the Isaac thread, and I do believe that out of the series with unsure futures (and no current playable representation), Golden Sun still has a better chance at getting a character than most of them. Smash really does act as a beacon of popularity, but as Sakurai clearly doesn’t add characters for the purpose of them retaining popularity or ensuring their future, it’s not like Sakurai will include a C-list series character to keep them “safe”. The character choices are still based on individual merit, which the GS protagonists certainly have, but frankly not any more than a lot of other potential newcomers. It really does seem like a toss-up right now, inclusion wise. However, unlike some characters with sound futures, Golden Sun could hang in the balance.

Anyway, I think that’s enough of my alarmist rant, I’d be very interested to hear what others think. So please, sound off, do you believe this is Isaac’s (or Matthew’s) last time with a decent chance at inclusion? Do you believe the fate of Golden Sun hinges on inclusion in Smash? Do you think a sequel is possible any other way? Please feel free to share your thoughts.

(tl;dr) Do you think this is Isaac's last chance at inclusion considering the series' very shaky future? And do you think that inclusion in Smash is the only way the Golden Sun series can continue? Please share...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well I did play the DS one when it was first launched, I believe it was called "Dark Dawn" which was my first (and currently only) Golden Sun game I've played. But the thing that put me off from the game was the needless amount of chatter that happened almost every little while, slowing the game down which put me off from finishing it. And those emotions thing was a little annoying too.

Though I heard the first two are better. Are the chatting scene's a little less compared to Dark Dawn? Or at least smaller amounts of unnecessarily long chatter? Just wondering. ^^;

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Woow. I think ya practically summed my thoughts here. I had done a similar post to Tumblr about this.

I think the case seems a lot so. This series is bit on stagnation: I personally think if Smash wouldn't happen, then the series might fall to obscurity, unless Camelot would better meet a higher-up company who could collaborate to revive Golden Sun (Like I mentioned before in Roster Discussion Thread, Monolift Soft would be more than plausible for this.).

But yeah. In my opinion it seems like flipping a coin. If this series gets in, it'd be fortunate income for it. But with that there's a high risk of failing too since Sakurai had already passed on this series back in Brawl.

Arcadenik: It's not wrong to like it. But we're looking at the overall reception of this game. It's not called mediocre for nothing or because it's a bandwagon.

Kikwi-Kiwi: GS-series are known to be pretty chatty. (Tolbi-arc in GS1... gosh.) But from what I think, they're much on the less side, since I never played DD yet and heard it's actually more chattier.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Uh... I liked Dark Dawn. It was a pretty good game.
Yeah, I enjoyed it a lot too. I've liked all the GS games, though the first will always be my favourite. Like Horsetail said though, overall it inarguably was less well-received than the first two, even if there are exceptions like us.

Well I did play the DS one when it was first launched, I believe it was called "Dark Dawn" which was my first (and currently only) Golden Sun game I've played. But the thing that put me off from the game was the needless amount of chatter that happened almost every little while, slowing the game down which put me off from finishing it. And those emotions thing was a little annoying too.

Though I heard the first two are better. Are the chatting scene's a little less compared to Dark Dawn? Or at least smaller amounts of unnecessarily long chatter? Just wondering. ^^;
Honestly, all the GS games have a fair bit of chatter. It can be kind of tedious to sit through, I can see where you're coming from, but personally I found the gameplay and the story to be fun and rewarding enough that I didn't mean sitting through conversations and explanations. Granted, after playing it a couple times, I now just skip most of the talking. :awesome:

The games aren't for everyone though, hopefully if you manage to get around to playing the first two you do find redeeming qualities.

I think the case seems a lot so. This series is bit on stagnation: I personally think if Smash wouldn't happen, then the series might fall to obscurity, unless Camelot would better meet a higher-up company who could collaborate to revive Golden Sun (Like I mentioned before in Roster Discussion Thread, Monolift Soft would be more than plausible for this.).

But yeah. In my opinion it seems like flipping a coin. If this series gets in, it'd be fortunate income for it. But with that there's a high risk of failing too since Sakurai had already passed on this series back in Brawl.
While I would love for Monolith to try their hand at GS, like I said in the other thread, I personally find that quite unlikely to happen. Honestly for the most part (other than Pokemon - which is Pokemon) 2nd party Nintendo IPs seem to stick solely to their single development team, and don't usually get shuffled around. That being said, I think several of Nintendo's other teams could make a very good GS game, primarily those with RPG experience. It also seems like a large gamble for Nintendo to authorize now, considering GS's current state. :ohwell:

I'd also definitely agree right now the chances are very similar to flipping a coin, I really do think it could go either way with pretty much even odds. However, if Sakurai does want to include a new series (which will happen), other than maybe Punch-Out (and ones Sakurai has already dismissed like AC and Nintendogs), I really do think that Golden Sun overall has had one of the larger impacts, even if that isn't evident recently. Sakurai primarily seems to look at series as a whole (not just recent offerings) when considering representation, which bodes well for Golden Sun IMO.

Top Bottom