• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Obviously Sakurai is changing things up this time, but I still have a hard time picturing a series with a playable character not getting a stage on both the 3DS and Wii U, it's not like the systems can't handle an abundance of stages, plus Sakurai generally tries to give each series its own stage, though obviously in each game there have been exceptions, so who knows. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if down the line some stages were transferable.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I wouldn't be surprised if Golden Sun (if it gets a playable character) has one stage that's the same (more or less) between the 3ds and Wii u versions and a second stage exclusive to the 3ds version. So 3ds would have 2 and Wii U would have 1.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Venus Lighthouse is a definitely must for Isaac's stage. Either that, or Mt.Aleph, but am leaning towards Venus Lighthouse still because damn... Just so many things happened in Golden Sun over there. I think it's easily one of the most iconic places of Golden Sun. And it would make an awesome, and mostly beautiful stage.

I mean, just hearing this theme...

Makes me wanna play Golden Sun 1 again, and like immediately!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'd agree a lighthouse (preferably Venus) is a must, the only way I see them going with something else is if Sakurai is shoehorned into going with primarily DD content. Then my choice would be Belinsk (or just the Opera House), with Crystallux as part of the stage.

Though chances are if we do get Isaac we'll also be getting at least two GS stages, one on each platform, so there's a pretty decent chance for some stage diversity.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I still should play Dark Dawn but none of the ROMs ever work. Is it at least comparable to the quality of the original and TLA?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Venus Lighthouse is just such a natural choice. It's the literal link between the two games with Isaac's biggest roles: GS1 and TLA. Besides, the events happening there left quite some impact on the story. I would actually be upset NOT seeing the stage honestly.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I still should play Dark Dawn but none of the ROMs ever work. Is it at least comparable to the quality of the original and TLA?
If you compare it to the first two it'll probably feel inferior, but it's still a fine game in its own right, just nothing remarkable.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Really, the fact that Eoleo is playable makes me the most interessted to be real honest. :laugh: I'll find a way to play it though. I mean, it's been so long since I wanted to know what happened really after The Lost Age...! The Golden Sun series holds a special place in my heart. And how many times did I replay The Lost Age itself? I must've lost count! That's quite an acchievement for a game that isn't called Donkey Kong Country 2, as most other games bore me to hell when I play them again.

Arteen

Smash Lord
The game is also only $12 on Amazon, so there's no reason not to get it.

I posted some of my thoughts on the game a page or so back. It lacks the magic that made the first two games so compelling and the story is a mess, but there's still enjoyment to be had.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't own a working DS, nor am I American. Amazon is kind of out of the question cause of this.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's expensive bro. Might buy one later if it gets a price drop, or the bundle with Pokémon Y becomes cheaper.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Sakurai is showing off assist trophies now. Time to commence Operation Dread.

Pleasedontshowisaacpleasedontshowisaacpleasedontshowisaac...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder... If Isaac is playable then would another Mars adept take his place as an assist trophy...

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Hmm, looks like Assist Trophies have been confirmed, not that it surprises me. Hopefully Isaac has been promoted from Assist Trophy to playable character.

Am I the only one that thinks that Isaac's chances are extremely slim?
As much as I would love to see Isaac playable in Smash 4, I do know that his chances are fairly slight, due to competition with other characters. Nevertheless, one can only hope.

At this point, any hint from Sakurai that Isaac might be playable would be nice. Hmm...maybe he could announce a Golden Sun stage first, then Isaac later. It would certainly add hype, in mine opinion.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
They could make Isaac playable and have a skin swap of Felix, everyone wins.

I will always want Piers playable tho <3

If there is by some miracle a Golden Sun stage, this needs to be one of the tracks that plays on it:

Yup, I gotta go replay them all now.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Hmm, looks like Assist Trophies have been confirmed, not that it surprises me. Hopefully Isaac has been promoted from Assist Trophy to playable character.

As much as I would love to see Isaac playable in Smash 4, I do know that his chances are fairly slight, due to competition with other characters. Nevertheless, one can only hope.

At this point, any hint from Sakurai that Isaac might be playable would be nice. Hmm...maybe he could announce a Golden Sun stage first, then Isaac later. It would certainly add hype, in mine opinion.
The simple way to hint Isaac is for Matthew to be confirmed as an AT.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Even with the use of Earth energy, there is just something about Issac's design that seems so bland. I bet his moveset can be exciting, but he just looks very stale. Can't put my finger on it.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
That could be part of it. Maybe it also seems that Isaac lacks passion. Looks like he is on painkillers.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I wonder... If Isaac is playable then would another Mars adept take his place as an assist trophy...

I could see it being any of Felix, Jenna, Garet, Saturos & Minardi, A djinn (if they're not in Isaacs moveset) or even a summon. The possibilities are pretty broad.

In terms of Isaac (or Shulk) being revealed as an assist trophy soon, we can take comfort in the likelihood that Sakurai would reveal bigger franchise ATs before them.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sakurai is showing off assist trophies now. Time to commence Operation Dread.

Pleasedontshowisaacpleasedontshowisaacpleasedontshowisaac...
At least showing Isaac as an AT relatively soon wouldn't be as painful as having to sit through the entire period of speculation with zero GS content announced only to have him wind up being an AT anyway like last time.

Though tbh by the time he was leaked in Brawl I was just relieved he was in the game at all.

Mars? Another?

No...

Probably Venus. Like Felix or Matthew.

Might as well pack my things and go.

Dunno if I'm ready to stick to the bitter end...
A little early to have Isaac greyed out in your sig, isn't it?

Those types don't generally frequent this thread. For better luck, try the Shulk thread. :smirk:

In terms of Isaac (or Shulk) being revealed as an assist trophy soon, we can take comfort in the likelihood that Sakurai would reveal bigger franchise ATs before them.
Why exactly? There was no discernible pattern Sakurai had for revealing ATs last time, I doubt he'll have one this time, other than the hidden ones being saved.

If that happens I'll laugh at your distress.
I dunno if someone who vehemently supports a character with chances no better than Isaac should be throwing stones.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Ya could say so, but I'm just putting the vest on much earlier for now.
Still though, just because we got one AT... it doesn't mean hopes for any the others becoming playable should be dashed. We were bound to get ATs confirmed eventually. To be blunt, regardless of their actual chances, Skull Kid getting confirmed has nothing to do with Isaac or Starfy's fate, nor any other AT, not even Tingle. By that logic you might as well grey out Lip, her chances are no better than theirs.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I think that Shulk and Takamaru have higher possibilities.

Shulk is a new IP from a successful franchise that has traction. Takamaru completes the 1986 quadruplets (Pit, Samus, Link, Takamaru). I think Sakurai has to be careful in how many and which sword characters he introduces. In Brawl, he did a good job. Ike was the strong sword character, Metaknight was the rogue sword character with flashy abilities, Pit was the mixed sword/defensive player, and Toon Link was the fast clone replacement of Young Link.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
How many 'new IPs' did Sakurai actually add in Brawl? Closest was Pikmin. And that was a launch GameCube title. Now, arguebly Wii Fit Trainer is from the most 'recent IP'. I believe they can add a recent character from a running series, as they did with Ike and Toon Link. But new IPs that are actually new? No. Isaac clearly has the advantage over Shulk with this.

Even though, arguebly, Olimar was chosen as the 'recent new IP character' in Brawl over Isaac. Doesn't rule him out however.

That could be part of it. Maybe it also seems that Isaac lacks passion. Looks like he is on painkillers.
When you heal yourself with these:

And your abilities are like these:

And in your journey you encounter these (giving you Fire powers):

And if nothing else, you travel with your best childhood friend who also suffered the same traumas as you, and has powers like these:

What do you think would happen? :awesome:

Isaac for stoner rep in Smash!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Being new has very little to do with getting added, I don't know why people think it matters so much. Sure, Sakurai wants to include new series if he can, but those series still have the same standards to meet as all the others, it's not like being new is a boon. If anything, new series seem to be judged fairly hardly by Sakurai, look at the three (and only three) we've gotten since Smash started, Pikmin, AC, and Wii Fit. These are pretty big series, who are comparable, or even bigger, than most of the older series added. Sure, every time the bar lowers a bit in terms of standards to be met, but... the standard for inclusion still seems to be pretty lofty. Now, considering we really don't have a precedent of Sakurai adding series based on future potential as much as what they've already done, I'd say Shulk's chances, while definitely notable, are still pretty questionable.

If any series post-Brawl is to be included... there's a good chance it'll be his. But the thing is, Xenoblade, as it stood when the roster was being compiled, not what it might be able to accomplish in the future, was still one game that might've made a loud splash, but didn't make a big splash. Of course it's a great game, and personally, I would really like to see Shulk and lots of Xenoblade (and X) content, don't get me wrong, but its overall impact was, compared to other series still unrepresented, more on the minimal side. In the west, Xenoblade didn't bomb or anything that drastic, but it's not like it can claim to have done well, despite what vgchartz (which isn't accurate) would have you believe. In Japan it was outsold by The Last Story, which also didn't do phenomenally. Shulk is a hot character among our demographic, but overall his audience is rather small. Now I'm fully aware sales don't equate to inclusion, but they are an indication of rough audience capacity, and size of audience that would recognize the character does matter as far as inclusion is concerned; Sakurai goes with the biggest series, the ones that have left the greatest impacts.

Even if less recent than Xenoblade, the fact that Golden Sun has had an audience... in the millions, which is several times more than Xenoblade, (just by sales it's roughly five times more), it would indicate that chances are Sakurai would opt for its inclusion first. The two series might seem closer to equal from our perspective, but out there in casual land, where the majority of the sales live, it's much more skewed in Golden Sun's favour. While GS is obviously not at its peak anymore, pretty much the same could've been said for FE, Metroid, and Mother when they were included. FE was on a descent much like GS, and the latter two hadn't even received games for half a decade. But they were still overall important to Nintendo, and their impact still resonated enough to wind up being included.

The age of the series doesn't matter to Sakurai (excluding retros ofc, who are obviously in their own category) nearly as much as the impact and popularity the series has had. One day the Xenoblade series (if it indeed does turn into a series) might be in a place where its impact is comparable to GS's, but it isn't yet, and it wasn't when Sakurai was compiling the roster. Especially since NoA won't acknowledge Rainfall as an influence and Japan wasn't even affected by the impacts of the campaign.

Takamaru has a better chance then both though, yeah. Though not for the "quadruplet" reason.

Top Bottom