• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I'd put Isaac at 7. Also, I'm working on a moveset for Isaac. I'll post it soon.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
0: Impossible. (Goku, Box of Corn Flakes)
1: Would be a huge upset if it was included, makes no sense to include (Raccoon Mario)
2: Technically possible, but why on Earth would you? (Dr. Stewart from F-Zero)
3: Could happen, but most people really don't think there's a good chance at all.
4: Probably not gonna happen
5: Could or couldn't happen.
6: Better chance of happening than not.
7: Solid chance of happening, folks kind-of expecting it, but would still be understandable if it didn't happen
8: Very strong chance of happening, makes perfect sense, not including it is technically possible, but why wouldn't you?
9: Near perfect. Huge upset if it doesn't happen.
10: Captain Falcon.

That's how I'd view it. I can understand why some folks would say 7 with this scale, or even 6.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'd say Isaac is somewhere between 5 and 7. Though he seems like a fun character given his powers.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
So what chances do you guys think on a scale 1-10 does Isaac have to get in the new smash?
Honestly, I cannot say. I stopped trying to predict Sakurai years ago. Though, like the above poster said, I do think he may have a decent chance if Sakurai wants to represent new franchises.

By the way, what do you lot think of a Golden Sun fighting game? The idea popped in mine head the other night. Camelot could make one after Golden Sun 4. Storywise, it could be a spinoff of the series. Basically, it would consist of all the major characters in the Golden Sun series, protagonists and antagonists alike, and some of the supporting characters. Unlike Smash Bros, this game would take place on a 3D pane. This game could also utilize the many gameplay elements that were in the previous Golden Sun games. Basically, it would kind of be like the other Golden Sun games, except with a real-time battle system instead of a turn-based one.

Assuming such a title was made (which I honestly doubt, but it is possible), which character would you main? As for me, I would probably try out Isaac first, then Ivan, then Hama. Also, what gameplay elements would you like to see in it?

Hmm, maybe I will write a high concept statement when I have more time on mine hands.

Arteen

Smash Lord
I give Isaac a generous 3/10 - 4/10 chance.

Isaac is fully qualified to be in the next Smash, but he's got a lot of competition and can easily be overlooked. As much as he deserves a spot, Sakurai doesn't always make the most exciting decisions when fleshing out the roster (Dr Mario? Wolf?) and overall franchise representation. Honestly, the only characters I think have a 50% shot or better are some combination of Chrom and Lucina, at 9/10 chance, and Bowser Jr, at 5/10.

I don't care for fighting games outside of Smash, but I'd love a console Golden Sun RPG that played like the "Tales of" series of games.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
So what chances do you guys think on a scale 1-10 does Isaac have to get in the new smash?

I would say a 7.

Golden Sun is one of the bigger as of yet unrepresented handheld Nintendo series. Considering there's a handheld smash Bros this time it would make a lot of sense for Golden Sun to get a rep.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So do you guys think Matthew will be an alt. costume for Isaac?
No.

Matthew is a completely different entity than Isaac.

It would be like Marth having a Roy costume. Doesn't work.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Really?
Hmm.. I thought they were literally the same being and same personality.
What makes him different from Isaac? (I never played Golden Sun for GBA.)
Matthew is Isaac's son.

Matthew has little personality shown due to being a silent protagonist.

But Isaac is quite the leader, has a stubborn mind and is willing to help others (when he probably should be doing other things) no matter what.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Well, seeing as this is the Isaac support thread, I figured maybe people would want to listen to this cover. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar7KoyNOg-E I thought it was awesome.

Anyway, Isaac's chances may not be the best. But I still feel like he'd be one of the more interesting characters to add to Smash. I'd like to see him make it almost as much as Ridley.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I feel like Isaac supporters are a bit too downbeat about his chances sometimes.

Look at the positives.

1. He was considered important enough to be an assist trophy in brawl. That's already a proven seal of approval from Sakurai to Golden Sun.
2. Golden Sun is arguably the most important handheld Nintendo series without a playable rep.
3. Not to mention Golden Sun has a cult following. The games are fondly remembered. In a way you could say Golden Sun is like the wests Earthbound.
4. He has truck loads of potential for a unique move set. The fact he wields a sword is a moot point because it's his psynergy that defines him.
5. Isaac got assist trophy status from just being in two games (and being the main protagonist of one), since brawl a third Golden Sun game was released.

Anyone have anything else to add?

I'd be shocked if Isaac wasn't on Sakurais list of potential newcomers. Its just a question of whether Isaac will go the extra distance.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I would think it doesn't really matter, because Ice Climbers got in due to having a unique tag-team mechanic. So I'll just assume he doesn't care about personality.

I'd imagine personality would just be one aspect of many he would consider. I'd guess that each character gets in based on somewhat different strengths.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I would think it doesn't really matter, because Ice Climbers got in due to having a unique tag-team mechanic. So I'll just assume he doesn't care about personality.

Ice Climbers where also chosen cause they where looking for a NES retro rep.

People overlook this far too much.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes. It was. They took the Ice Climbers instead of Balloon Fighter, Urban Champion and another dude. Have no source, but it's common knowledge nowadays for many.

iam8bit

Smash Ace
Isaac is absolutely, positively my most-wanted Newcomer for Smash 4.

I loved Golden Sun I & II, they were one of my favorite games ever. I'm really, really hopeful for this one.

Also, having a Golden Sun stage on Wii U would blow my mind. :estatic:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
No.

Matthew is a completely different entity than Isaac.

It would be like Marth having a Roy costume. Doesn't work.
I don't see a big problem here. Daisy is technically an alternate costume of Peach. And while you could maybe argue (as far as canon games go) that Daisy really isn't much more than pallet swap of Peach, in reality she is a different person.

In the same way that Peach has a Daisy alternate costume and Luigi has a Waluigi colored alternate, I can't see any problem with giving Isaac an alternate costume that looks like Matthew.

Altais

Smash Champion
So do you guys think Matthew will be an alt. costume for Isaac?
[Shrugs] It is possible. I do not see it being too difficult to do, seeing as Matthew is virtually, if not completely, identical to Isaac save for his clothes. Though I would love to see such a costume, I would not get mine hopes up, assuming Isaac is in Smash 4.

And, I think I have said this before, but I would also love to see teenage Isaac wearking adult Isaac's clothes.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Proposed changes to my moveset/etc of Isaac.

1. When set to a Mercury Djinni, instead of decreased lag, increased hit-stun for the opponent. It's a reference to both the difficulty of moving in water, and also the state of being frozen.
2. Ice-animation in Mercurry Side Special (1), and water animation in Mercury Side Special (2). At high percents, chance to freeze opponent with Mercury Side Special 1.

Thoughts on that?

Altais

Smash Champion
Proposed changes to my moveset/etc of Isaac.

1. When set to a Mercury Djinni, instead of decreased lag, increased hit-stun for the opponent. It's a reference to both the difficulty of moving in water, and also the state of being frozen.
2. Ice-animation in Mercurry Side Special (1), and water animation in Mercury Side Special (2). At high percents, chance to freeze opponent with Mercury Side Special 1.

Thoughts on that?
I cannot really offer much input on that, except that such a move (Djinn Set, was it?) should be associated with Isaac's downward-special instead of his standard special. The standard special, in mine opinion, should be a signature attack like Earthquake or Ragnarok.

Assuming Isaac is in Smash 4, I have a feeling his attacks will be largely Earth-based. If they gave him too many attacks that are obviously associated with other elements (water, wind, etc), it would make him too similar to other magick users in Super Smash Bros. [Shrugs] That is mine thought, at any rate; I could just be talking out of mine back side.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
I cannot really offer much input on that, except that such a move (Djinn Set, was it?) should be associated with Isaac's downward-special instead of his standard special. The standard special, in mine opinion, should be a signature attack like Earthquake or Ragnarok.

Assuming Isaac is in Smash 4, I have a feeling his attacks will be largely Earth-based. If they gave him too many attacks that are obviously associated with other elements (water, wind, etc), it would make him too similar to other magick users in Super Smash Bros. [Shrugs] That is mine thought, at any rate; I could just be talking out of mine back side.
I wanted his smash attacks to be most psynergy moves because like there's "quake, earthquake, and sphere quake", it's kinda like charging the smash attack longer.

As for his specials, I kinda agree. His down special was kinda at a him, but I opted for neural special being it because it's easier to use the d-pad then without holding down b as well.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes, I think Isaac should be mostly Earth-based to. Not only cause I don't wanna see another Ness / Lucas - like thing going, but it indeed makes him the most unique. Water-based moves will all probably end up being a sort of FLUDD / Water Gun like attack, unless they choose to base Mercury moves on ice (Frost could work, as in, a water puddle turning into an ice pillar) but I wouldn't like that. Same with Mars-based attacks. Fire is overused already. Wind / Jupiter is okay, but they should use other characters for these features (Toon Link perhaps).

Smash has not too many characters who have a very strong ground game. A lot of the fighting in Smash happens in the air, hence why making Isaac ground-based, with Earth-powers is the best they could give him. Of coarse there's always room for quirky moves that MAKE Golden Sun, like Move, and maybe others. But damn, I wanna see Isaac cast Spires, make fearsome Earthquakes, tear appart the ground with moves as Grand Gaia, obliberate enemies with Ragnarok / Oddessey! A big part of what made Golden Sun this appealing is cause of the flashy animations and awesome looking attacks. Would be a damn blasted shame if Isaac didn't reflect this in Smash.

GOLDEN BOY WE AWAIT YOUR RETURN!

iam8bit

Smash Ace
I've been thinking, I think the 3DS version of Smash is the best thing that could've happened to Isaac. Since that version seems to be focused on honoring the portable side of Nintendo, I think it's obvious that Golden Sun should be on the radar for stages, music, items, assist trophies and such.

Considering most of the actual roster already serve as both console/portable representatives, Isaac can be one of the first characters to come exclusively from the portable world. :estatic:

Top Bottom