• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Good moveset Swampasaur! ^_^

I had a dream last night that I went to the SSB4 website and saw Isaac as a newcomer.

P.S. His background color was yellow.
Sounds about right. I'd be surprised if it was anything but gold. Though Pikachu kinda stole what I imagine the colour would've been. :p

I made a moveset with Gaia being a Down B attack. It was a charge up attack, rather slow, but devastating. Like most of his Specials.
Me too! I should really get around to posting that moveset sometime...

A Golden Sun animation would certainly be interesting. Not only would it cater to the fans, but it could also possibly get more people into the games. I wonder whom would voice the characters, though.]
I suppose if Isaac got into Smash, it sparked a new interest in the series, and Nintendo put a lot of effort behind promoting the new entry we might get an animation, sort of like Uprising (wasn't Pikmin also going to get some sort of animation? Did that already happen?), but that's really the only situation in which I see it happening. Would be awesome though, it would give a whole new perspective to the world of GS. Then again, so would seeing some HD GS locations in Smash...

Arteen

Smash Lord
The backgrounds already include six shades of green. I'm sure another shade of yellow won't be too much to ask for. :)

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
I think it would be a goldish Yellow to represent not only his Venus Element, but the Golden Sun itself.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I love how this was thread about Isaac, then turned into a thread about what his background color would be on the website.

Groose

Smash Champion
I love how this was thread about Isaac, then turned into a thread about what his background color would be on the website.

Some threads have gone on so long that there's really nothing to talk about. This one and the K. Rool one are prime examples. Ridley's thread is still lively because it gets toobig people, but most of the old guards is slow dying off.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Some threads have gone on so long that there's really nothing to talk about. This one and the K. Rool one are prime examples. Ridley's thread is still lively because it gets toobig people, but most of the old guards is slow dying off.
I suppose we could find ourselves some "Not popular" people or something...

Isaac doesn't have too many cons that most people think of...

Digging the avatar, by the way.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I suppose we could find ourselves some "Not popular" people or something...

Isaac doesn't have too many cons that most people think of...

Digging the avatar, by the way.

I'm sure we could find something. Uhm, let's see...

"lol keep wishing. u might as well be expecting geno lolol golden sun is a dead series and probably 3rd party too. besides sakray has already put him in the game as an assist trophy did you all forget? lolllll"

DISCUSS! :p

TeamFlareZakk

I'm sure we could find something. Uhm, let's see...

"lol keep wishing. u might as well be expecting geno lolol golden sun is a dead series and probably 3rd party too. besides sakray has already put him in the game as an assist trophy did you all forget? lolllll"

DISCUSS! :p
Actually I think Isaac will be represented the same way Pit was in Brawl, don't forget, Kid Icarus wasn't around since NES and GB, then Pit was absent for a while, also Pit was a trophy in Melee, much like how Isaac was one in Brawl.

This is why I expect more Broken Seal and Lost Age content like Isaac as a playable character, Felix replacing Isaac's Assist Trophy spot, and of course music, the only Dark Dawn content I'd expect is maybe a stage seeing that it's on the DS, I'm thinking the Lookout Cabin.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Actually I think Isaac will be represented the same way Pit was in Brawl, don't forget, Kid Icarus wasn't around since NES and GB, then Pit was absent for a while, also Pit was a trophy in Melee, much like how Isaac was one in Brawl.

This is why I expect more Broken Seal and Lost Age content like Isaac as a playable character, Felix replacing Isaac's Assist Trophy spot, and of course music, the only Dark Dawn content I'd expect is maybe a stage seeing that it's on the DS, I'm thinking the Lookout Cabin.

Ahem, let's see...

"lol yah but the difference is that kid icarus isnt dead, sakoorie was reviving it for urprising. unless u think golden sun is coming back lolol. besides if a character got in it would be mathew because relevence"

Heh.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
We've stooped quite a ways if we now have to make up people to argue with. :laugh:

Though I guess it's good that Isaac doesn't have some huge dumb nagging point against him that people won't drop like the "too-biggers".

Regardless, any character that can have their largest impact over a decade ago, without a playable role since then, yet can still manage to crack top 10s and maintain regular discussion (even if sparse at times) and interest is a very special character. A character that can still resonate with fans to this extent definitely merits inclusion in my mind. Really Isaac is the exception, the vast majority of characters from a C-List Nintendo series would've been forgotten ages ago, the fact that there's any conversation to be had at all, let alone 23 pages worth is really a testament.

Arteen

Smash Lord
As far as I can tell, Isaac has two major points going against him.

1) Golden Sun is a small franchise with a small fanbase. Golden Sun could easily be overlooked when Sakurai's deciding what franchises to focus on. Golden Sun isn't the only underrepresented franchise that could get a spot in SSB4. Other series like Advance Wars and Custom Robo for example have more games to their name, and might attract more of Sakurai's attention. It's entirely possible that we've seen all of the new franchises we'll get, and every fighter outside of Trainer and Villager will come from existing series.
2) Sakurai plays favorites. There's no way Earthbound would have gotten as much love as it has if the series wasn't a personal favorite of Sakurai. A bunch of Nintendo characters deserved a spot in Brawl more than Snake, but Snake won out.

Isaac has not hard arguments against him (Sakurai never called his inclusion "pretty impossible", for example), but unfortunately he's hardly guaranteed.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
As far as I can tell, Isaac has two major points going against him.

1) Golden Sun is a small franchise with a small fanbase. Golden Sun could easily be overlooked when Sakurai's deciding what franchises to focus on. Golden Sun isn't the only underrepresented franchise that could get a spot in SSB4. Other series like Advance Wars and Custom Robo for example have more games to their name, and might attract more of Sakurai's attention.
Compared to series already in Smash? Yes, obviously I agree. Compared to the remaining unrepresented series? Well there are still a few that have made more of an impact or are more popular, such as Punch-Out and Wii, but Golden Sun is towards the front of the pack when it comes to what's left. Other series have had more games, true, both of your examples prove this, however inclusion is not based on number of games alone, rather the impact those games have made, and the popularity of the games and characters that resonates afterwards. If this weren't the case, we wouldn't have gotten series like Pikmin, Mother, Starfox, or other games that only had a few titles to their name at the time of inclusion when there were bigger series out there that were left unrepresented. The impact Golden Sun has made (due in part to having a worldwide release for each title) does outweigh that of... really every series other than the two I mentioned and a few that have characters of questionable feasibility. And that could be what gives GS the edge, even if they aren't the top pick.

It's entirely possible that we've seen all of the new franchises we'll get, and every fighter outside of Trainer and Villager will come from existing series.
It's possible, and Sakurai clearly likes to deviate from the precedent, but it seems unlikely that all three new series would be revealed right off the bat, considering that's never been done before. I wouldn't count on the likely remaining ~10 newcomers to all be from existing series, but you're right, it is possible.

2) Sakurai plays favorites. There's no way Earthbound would have gotten as much love as it has if the series wasn't a personal favorite of Sakurai.
I'm inclined to disagree here. Remember, Smash 64 was never originally to be released outside Japan, so the character choices were likely based almost solely on Japanese popularity. At that point Mother was already quite a popular series in Japan, at least on par with like... Metroid and Starfox (who only had three and two games in their series at that time respectively). Coupled with the fact that HAL had worked on Earthbound (so there might be some studio bias, but not from Sakurai, as he didn't work on Earthbound) and Ness was likely a popular character there? A case could be made that Ness's inclusion was at that time as justified as most of the roster.

For Brawl, Lucas was quite the popular pick in Japan, and Sakurai had him planned since Melee, so once again, an argument can be made. Plus, Sakurai has stated that he personally is a fan of FE, so if any series were to get an inordinate amount of love from Sakurai, it'd be FE. But it hasn't. Well I suppose if any series were to get too much love from Sakurai it'd be Kirby, and we all know Sakurai's humility prevented the inclusion of Kirby characters other than Kirby until they were among the most wanted (and therefore perfectly justified).

A bunch of Nintendo characters deserved a spot in Brawl more than Snake, but Snake won out.
Well it's not like Snake was actually in competition with any other third-party. He's the one who broke down the gates, and yeah, Sakurai played favourites there, but one, third-parties are a bit of a different situation, and two, it's not like Snake was chosen over somebody more deserving.

But as to how this relates to GS? Well until we know Sakurai's opinion of GS, we really can't pretend to know. He thought Isaac merited being an AT last game... but that's about it. Even if we did know his opinion, while people would probably make a big deal about it either way, I'm inclined to believe it wouldn't actually effect his chances (unless Sakurai for some reason thought he was unfeasible, which obv wouldn't happen). Sakurai adds who merits inclusion, who he thinks will make a good character, not who he personally wants to see.

Isaac has not hard arguments against him (Sakurai never called his inclusion "pretty impossible", for example), but unfortunately he's hardly guaranteed.
Yeah, I agree. While I might paint the picture that Isaac really doesn't have too much to worry about, it's hardly that black-and-white. He still has a lot of factors against him, and personally I would only put his chances at 50/50 (or 60/40 if Sakurai is compiling this roster largely off Brawl-era popularity).

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
I can't believe I haven't posted here yet.

Golden Sun and I go back. And to see the face of Golden Sun in Smash (as a playable character) would do my heart good.

I don't have a whole lot to contribute to this thread except for wholehearted support.

TeamFlareZakk

I can't believe I haven't posted here yet.

Golden Sun and I go back. And to see the face of Golden Sun in Smash (as a playable character) would do my heart good.

I don't have a whole lot to contribute to this thread except for wholehearted support.
I too am a huge Golden Sun fan, otherwise I wouldn't have Saturos as my avatar.

I too hope we see Isaac join the fight, and I'd like to see it soon, I've been itching to see some newcomers.

Arteen

Smash Lord
I'm a bit worried that it will be a long time before we see Isaac, if he is even in SSB4. Both Luigi's and Olimar's reveals were promotional in nature, but there aren't any new games, or even old games, for Isaac to promote (Dark Dawn has a website, but I can't imagine Nintendo wants to advertise a three-year-old DS game). Hopefully Nintendo can get the GBA Virtual Console out there soon, and people can buy Golden Sun on their Wii U's. We likely won't hear anything until then.

If we're lucky Sakurai might sneak in an early stage reveal, like he did with Arena Ferox for Fire Emblem.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm a bit worried that it will be a long time before we see Isaac, if he is even in SSB4. Both Luigi's and Olimar's reveals were promotional in nature, but there aren't any new games, or even old games, for Isaac to promote (Dark Dawn has a website, but I can't imagine Nintendo wants to advertise a three-year-old DS game). Hopefully Nintendo can get the GBA Virtual Console out there soon, and people can buy Golden Sun on their Wii U's. We likely won't hear anything until then.

If we're lucky Sakurai might sneak in an early stage reveal, like he did with Arena Ferox for Fire Emblem.
It's also possible that Isaac would be unlockable.

He kinda strikes me as the type...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's also possible that Isaac would be unlockable.

He kinda strikes me as the type...
It would make sense. After all, he was one of the few unlockable Assist Trophies.

Ascended

Smash Ace
Put me down as an Isaac supporter. Loved Golden Sun 1 back in the day and I've been wanting him in the game since the pre-Brawl days.

TeamFlareZakk

First off, I think they will be releasing Golden Sun on Virtual Console, which I can't wait until they do, I'd love to play Golden Sun on my 3ds.

Think about it, like Earthbound, Golden Sun is one of those heavily demanded games for the Virtual Console, it's on everybody's wishlist, I too want to see it on virtual console, Lost Age would be out at the same time much like they had both Oracle games out.

Both games would be great, but Lost Age would have some imperfect tweaks seeing that some things need the linked story from Broken Seal, but even though I can't get the Iris Summon, I'd still download and play Lost Age on my 3ds, that's how much I want Golden Sun on the virtual console.

Will it happen?

Yes, eventually, not right away, but it will be available sometime in the future, it's inevitable.

Just because there are no current games for Golden Sun, doesn't mean Isaac doesn't promote something, because actually he does, Isaac being playable would promote the Golden Sun series in general, think about it, people choose him, play as him, get to know him and what series he represents, this gets people more interested in the series again, then we see Golden Sun on the Virtual Console and all these people playing Super Smash Bros are getting it because this is the game with that Isaac guy we like from Super Smash Bros.

Then Felix should obviously be a Assist Trophy so then if Lost Age is released on Virtual Console, guys playing Super Smash Bros will be like, hey this one has the assist trophy character as the main protagonist.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

It's definitely possible we don't see Isaac for a while, like others have said he might even be an unlockable, but just because he has nothing to promote atm doesn't necessarily mean he won't be shown for a while. Sure, the next couple of months will probably be reserved for characters with tie-in promotions, because the holiday season is starting and everything, but there will be many months with no games that have a corresponding character to use as promotion, and it's likely Sakurai will want to space out newcomer reveals to maximize hype, so I wouldn't be so sure Isaac has no chance of showing up sooner than later. Not in the near future ofc, but even in the first half of next year is possible I'd say, even if not the most likely.

But yes, the chance he doesn't show up for a while or is unlockable is definitely there, in fact there is a decent chance of it. However his support has lasted this long, it can maintain a little longer. By this point Sakurai has already decided Isaac's fate anyway, so support at this point, while reassuring, is fairly superfluous.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'd hate to admit it, but I'll actually start supporting Isaac. I played Golden Sun on a ROM recently and enjoyed it as much as the other RPG's I'd usually play. Not to mention he's the most reasonable idea of a Game Boy Advance rep combined with his mixture of swordsmanship and psychic powers Psyenergy. Matthew is worthless anyway since he's from the worst Golden Sun game in history, not to mention people want his beloved father the most. As long as I can pull of the move "Move" (no pun intended), that's fine with me.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Since Sakurai's making promotional movies for all the newcomers and plans to release them periodically, we might actually learn about all of the hidden newcomers before the game's release. The movies will just get uploaded to YouTube on release day anyway, and we know Sakurai's not a fan of that.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I'd hate to admit it, but I'll actually start supporting Isaac. I played Golden Sun on a ROM recently and enjoyed it as much as the other RPG's I'd usually play. Not to mention he's the most reasonable idea of a Game Boy Advance rep combined with his mixture of swordsmanship and psychic powers Psyenergy. Matthew is worthless anyway since he's from the worst Golden Sun game in history, not to mention people want his beloved father the most. As long as I can pull of the move "Move" (no pun intended), that's fine with me.
There have only been three Golden Sun games. The first two were basically the same game split into two. I think any true Golden Sun would not mind his son being in the game. They would virtually have the same moveset, but Matthew's inclusion could help out Golden Sun 4 and Golden Sun series.

On that note, as the Matthew thread owner, I think it's best to not compete with each other. Both GS protagonists have value, and either would do well to represent GS. They would have virtually the same moveset, so who you prefer comes down to a matter of preference. Both would be great characters and are well deserving of a spot in Smash due to GS's overall role in Nintendo History. Much like Marth has not careered the FE series alone, as he has aided by the likes of Sigurd, Roy, Ike, and now Chrom. A character from Golden Sun in Smash 4 would be a win for Golden Sun fans, regardless of who it is.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That sounds better than the real track. But damn, I nostaliga'd.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Belief that Sakurai cares about a "Game Boy Advance rep", harsh criticism of a still-decent game, and begrudging support aside, always nice to get another Isaac supporter! :rolleyes::smirk:

Since Sakurai's making promotional movies for all the newcomers and plans to release them periodically, we might actually learn about all of the hidden newcomers before the game's release. The movies will just get uploaded to YouTube on release day anyway, and we know Sakurai's not a fan of that.
My guess is Sakurai would still wait to reveal the hidden newcomers if not after the game (which would be my guess - even with his aversion to things leaking - which is inevitable) than right around release. I wouldn't expect to know about them months before the game launched, third-parties aside. There's a difference between leaking a single character video and the entire SSE, which Sakurai thought ruined the experience of playing through it. The character videos only make you want to play as the character in question more (hopefully), so I don't see Sakurai really trying to get them all out before things start leaking.

There have only been three Golden Sun games. The first two were basically the same game split into two. I think any true Golden Sun would not mind his son being in the game. They would virtually have the same moveset, but Matthew's inclusion could help out Golden Sun 4 and Golden Sun series.
Even though I'd clearly rather see Isaac, as many people would, I'd definitely take Matthew over no GS character. GS needs some Smash love, and I'd be satisfied with any of the protagonists being playable (though Felix would make me scratch my head :p).

On that note, as the Matthew thread owner, I think it's best to not compete with each other. Both GS protagonists have value, and either would do well to represent GS. They would have virtually the same moveset, so who you prefer comes down to a matter of preference. Both would be great characters and are well deserving of a spot in Smash due to GS's overall role in Nintendo History. Much like Marth has not careered the FE series alone, as he has aided by the likes of Sigurd, Roy, Ike, and now Chrom. A character from Golden Sun in Smash 4 would be a win for Golden Sun fans, regardless of who it is.
You're right, best not to compete when you know you'd just lose. :troll:

But yeah, since there is no one clear sole protagonist of GS, representing the series matters more than a specific character getting in. That said, I feel Isaac would best represent the GS series as a whole, having been playable in two games, and having appeared in all three.

Apparently Golden Sun: The Lost Age had a missing track. It's pretty neat.

Yeah, like Diddy said, I prefer this to the finalized track. Makes me eager to hear how wonderful the GS renditions will be in Smash 4. Mixed with the sight of an HD GS setting, and I might start drooling. :laugh:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Thanks to Olimar, we can savely assume it's gonna be Isaac if we get a Golden Sun character.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ness had an international release. At least, it also hit the US. That already gives the character quite a great edge over Ninten.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Thanks to Olimar, we can savely assume it's gonna be Isaac if we get a Golden Sun character.
While I agree Isaac is the most likely character, to be fair Olimar got in when he was the only main protagonist of Pikmin, and then was a veteran by the time new main protagonists were created, it's a bit of a different situation than Isaac.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes, but still... The Golden Sun games still cite him as the most 'veteran Adept' in a similar vein in Dark Dawn. Olimar also only appears in the ending of Pikmin 3 I believe? And didn't Pikmin 2 also feature Louie? That's quite a similar pattern there.

First game: Full glory to Olimar / Isaac
Second game: Split leading role between Olimar & Louie / Felix & Isaac
Third game: Olimar pops up in the end / Isaac instructs you in the beginning

Also, Isaac was the Brawl AT. He's the most recognised out of all Adepts for those who haven't played Golden Sun. It really helps it doesn't matter much who they choose as a main character, cause all 3 games have warrior-based Venus Adepts as main playable characters. Matthew really looks like Isaac, and Felix isn't very likely in the slightest.

So yes, I think it's gonna be Isaac.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
^Yes I agree, I was just saying it's not exactly a completely similar parallel (though now that you mention it there are more similarities than I first noticed). Plus the further we get from DD the less the "recent" arguement still comes into play. Sure, if Camelot requests Matthew he's be the one to get in, but if Sakurai looks at the series as a whole it's pretty clear which character has made the biggest impact from it.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Ness had an international release. At least, it also hit the US. That already gives the character quite a great edge over Ninten.
Yes, but still... The Golden Sun games still cite him as the most 'veteran Adept' in a similar vein in Dark Dawn. Olimar also only appears in the ending of Pikmin 3 I believe? And didn't Pikmin 2 also feature Louie? That's quite a similar pattern there.

First game: Full glory to Olimar / Isaac
Second game: Split leading role between Olimar & Louie / Felix & Isaac
Third game: Olimar pops up in the end / Isaac instructs you in the beginning

Also, Isaac was the Brawl AT. He's the most recognised out of all Adepts for those who haven't played Golden Sun. It really helps it doesn't matter much who they choose as a main character, cause all 3 games have warrior-based Venus Adepts as main playable characters. Matthew really looks like Isaac, and Felix isn't very likely in the slightest.

So yes, I think it's gonna be Isaac.
Pikmin 3 came out relatively late within Smash 4 development cycle. And there is no reason why Alph or any of the other protagonists could still be in the game. Sure, chances are lower but not impossible.

Also Pikmin was already represented with a character in Smash in Brawl. So Olimar is a veteran and thus harder to cut (pain of death quote). While Golden Sun has yet to have any representation. So the situations are much different. GS is going from 0 representation to 1 if they get a character. Pikmin so far has gone from 1 rep to the same 1 rep in Smash 4. The Mother situation, aside from Mother 1 being Japan only, is much closer to GS's situation. And remember, Smash Bros wasn't originally going to be released internationally, so it may have not mattered that much if a character was Japan only.

And I don't buy having AT's having that big advantage over characters created after Brawl. AT's have an advantage by making it over others in the series (in this case its Isaac over Felix), but not over characters created after, since they didn't beat them out. A comparison would be Lyn as an AT. Since Lyn is an AT, will she have a greater chance than Chrom, Lucina, and Robin? Most people on the FE thread would agree that she doesn't.

As I've said, Isaac and Matthew are pretty much interchangeable. I'm sure most mainstream fans would not care that much. GS series fans would just be stoked to see the series just get a rep in general. GS fans who haven't played DD understandable would favor GS's and GS:TLA's characters. It's the same with FE and those who haven't played with Awakening.

I'm sure Isaac wouldn't mind his son getting in over him. I'd love to see either. But its far from guaranteed to be Isaac.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Not guaranteed, just more likely. And quite a bit. I wouldn't mind either.

Top Bottom