• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
That's how it looks.

I call shenanigans on this, especially since Golden Sun had a game released between Brawl and 4.

That's why I'm hoping for DLC, because it's clear they won't make a Smash 5 for many, many years.

Hopefully, the Japanese gaming masses will both bail us out and help us when they see this roster and realize that several of their wanted characters not only failed to make the cut, but didn't appear at all.
Yea, DLC has to be in otherwise a lot of people are going to be disappointed. I am holding back my purchase till Isaac is confirmed playable in the Wii U version.

And yes, a Japanese backlash or cryout would really help since Nintendo has a big habit of listening more to their local customers than International ones.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
What are the possibilities that the 3DS version has several more characters force-locked and hidden until the Wii U release date?

I mean, it only makes sense to have SOMETHING to hype about during holiday season, right?

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
What are the possibilities that the 3DS version has several more characters force-locked and hidden until the Wii U release date?

I mean, it only makes sense to have SOMETHING to hype about during holiday season, right?
Hey, you know that game you paid full price for three months ago? Yeah, we've been hiding content from you. Feel free to find your local wifi point or Wii U copy of the game to download it.

That's not a way to make customers happy.

You can't time lock it because someone could just change the date of their 3DS before booting up the game.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Hey, you know that game you paid full price for three months ago? Yeah, we've been hiding content from you. Feel free to find your local wifi point or Wii U copy of the game to download it.

That's not a way to make customers happy.

You can't time lock it because someone could just change the date of their 3DS before booting up the game.
I don't see why not. They don't have full access right away, but later down the road they can unlock additional content that wasn't available before. Its actually a great way to make them happy as it expands on the content they already had.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I don't see why not. They don't have full access right away, but later down the road they can unlock additional content that wasn't available before. Its actually a great way to make them happy as it expands on the content they already had.
Because people won't see it as "extra" content. They'll see it as content that was withheld from them.

It's the same problem that has outraged people about on-disc or day one DLCs. Only instead of being withheld to get an extra dollar, it's withheld to promote another game.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Because people won't see it as "extra" content. They'll see it as content that was withheld from them.

It's the same problem that has outraged people about on-disc or day one DLCs. Only instead of being withheld to get an extra dollar, it's withheld to promote another game.
But it's free!!! On-disc or day one DLCs cost money, thus people are more peeved about withheld content. If content is withheld to promote the Wii U version and then distributed for free, I don't think people will mind. Then it will seem like extra content. Considering most people have given up and decided this is the final roster, this would be great news for them! They would be excited.

And hyped to get more content! Don't worry, it is not as bad as you think it is and I still think some big-hitting characters will still make it in the game, including Isaac, as playable!

Is that it then? Is Isaac not even in the game in any shape or form???
As of the 3DS version, no. But I think this is not all that bad. If he was AT, then his chances of being promoted were very slim but since he is missing, some of us think that more characters including Isaac will come as a patch with the Wii U version.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Is that it then? Is Isaac not even in the game in any shape or form???
Unless Nintendo had some way to lock out the full roster from leaked copies, then yes.

If the 3DS's date is before the official release date when you start up the game, it will lock out the roster? Something like that. But I doubt it.

DivinexRose

Smash Cadet
I have to admit, I'm quite impressed with Landmaster's continuous optimism despite the bleak blobs spreading here at the moment.

Seeing the full roster and ATs, even though it's a little puzzling to see no Isaac AT and Dark Pit still being the most laughable choice to me, I have no qualms to this otherwise. I kind of wish I could see a new model of Isaac though, that's all I care about. *^*

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
But it's free!!! On-disc or day one DLCs cost money, thus people are more peeved about withheld content. If content is withheld to promote the Wii U version and then distributed for free, I don't think people will mind. Then it will seem like extra content. Considering most people have given up and decided this is the final roster, this would be great news for them! They would be excited.

And hyped to get more content! Don't worry, it is not as bad as you think it is and I still think some big-hitting characters will still make it in the game, including Isaac, as playable!

As of the 3DS version, no. But I think this is not all that bad. If he was AT, then his chances of being promoted were very slim but since he is missing, some of us think that more characters including Isaac will come as a patch with the Wii U version.
That's the point, though. Whether they have to pay for it or not, it is content that was withheld from a product they paid for in order to get more money. Sure, it's by promoting another product rather than forcing them to but it, but the principle is much the same.

There are also people who don't have a way to download patches easily, who are going to be shafted out of content that they already paid for.

It's very anti-consumer, and not really in line with Nintendo's usual policies.

MrCatEater

Smash Apprentice
Wow I guess that's it then no Golden Sun representation at all not even an Assist Trophy I guess it was fun but it's over now and it was childish to think we would actually get the characters we wanted :/

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Isaac... Really sad about this one. I've wanted him ever since Smash 4 was announced, and him not even being an AT hurts. :(

MrCatEater

Smash Apprentice

Also I hate to bring people down but I think that honestly believing that we will still get more characters is just denying what you don't want to hear I want to be wrong but I doubt it

Turmalinium

Smash Apprentice
This thread will propably be locked soon now that the full roster is known. It was fun being in this thread. I really enjoyed it. But this is still not the end. Maybe this thread will be revived when Isaac is confirmed as DLC or something. :p

Last edited:

zagman505

Smash Cadet
I'm still hopeful for DLC or something. It just makes no sense to me that Isaac would be completely removed. But I guess more likely at this point is that Isaac may just be a WiiU exclusive assist trophy? Sigh.

BSTCloud

Smash Apprentice
I'll leave my final post in this thread saying that today's approach to the game completely killed my hype for the title, and not only because Isaac and Golden Sun were removed in any form, but for various reasons. I don't think the 3DS version is worth my money (it lacks too much content for my criteria) and I don't have plans on getting a WiiU.

Whatever. It's kinda sad. It was fun while it lasted.

See you guys (hopefully!) in the future, take care!

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
That's the point, though. Whether they have to pay for it or not, it is content that was withheld from a product they paid for in order to get more money. Sure, it's by promoting another product rather than forcing them to but it, but the principle is much the same.

There are also people who don't have a way to download patches easily, who are going to be shafted out of content that they already paid for.

How is Smash Bros dlc any different than Mario Kart 8 dlc? Heck that dlc actually costs money.

I think not believing in the possibility of character dlc is just excessively pessimistic. It isn't "cool" or "real" or "smart". It's just being dismissive of something that is still an unknown. Being dismissive of it because you'd rather get over the loss now rather than worrying that they might get in as dlc later on down the line.

There's no guarantee it'll happen but there's also no guarantee it won't happen. Right now that's good enough for me. (It has to be since that's as good as it gets now)

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
How is Smash Bros dlc any different than Mario Kart 8 dlc? Heck that dlc actually costs money.

I think not believing in the possibility of character dlc is just excessively pessimistic. It isn't "cool" or "real" or "smart". It's just being dismissive of something that is still an unknown. Being dismissive of it because you'd rather get over the loss now rather than worrying that they might get in as dlc later on down the line.

There's no guarantee it'll happen but there's also no guarantee it won't happen. Right now that's good enough for me.
The difference being that the MK8 DLC was all from after the game was made, and is coming out more than six months after release.

Last edited:

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
Guys, I have no words for the amount of frustration I have for Isaac. His missing status as an AT is not good. There hasn't even been any Golden Sun trophies at all, and if Isaac is meant to be a hidden DLC character there would at the very least be some Golden Sun content in the game (just like we saw a Karate Joe trophy re: Chorus Kids).

I don't mean to be a downer but DLC is very unlikely. Our best hope is Project M, and I'm very nervous the DLC speculation is going to get him cut from Project M...

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
The difference being that thaw MK8 DLC was all from after the game was made, and is coming out more than six months later.
I never said when I expected the dlc. Most people are tying dlc in with the release of the Wii U version but we could just as easily get Smash dlc next year instead.

MrCatEater

Smash Apprentice
I guess before the thread is locked despite me believing that Isaac or anyone else for that matter isn't in the game regardless of what theories you have on Wii U DLC I would like to say thanks for both being a fun place to hang out while waiting for this game and for introducing me to this amazing game that is Golden Sun sorry for being a downer

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326

Well. Nintendo announced the N3DS which is supposed to be a revision with a C-stick and ZR/ZL buttons that Nintendo said it would not add to the 3DS. Then we get this remodel. Fine.

This model has extra CPU power, makes the console features like Internet and all faster. Ok.

It has exclusive big retail games like Xenoblade Chronicles. I don't like where this is going.....

And then this:

Nintendo released the CPP, and now it does not support the Smash Bros. game on Nintendo 3DS BUT the N3DS which has almost a year to come out, with the built in CPP is supported as a Smash stick.

I don't see how that is pro-consumer. It is definitely anti-consumer. Forcing us to buy a new console when we already have a fully functioning console for a feature which can easily be implemented into the older version for an accessory that Nintendo made itself i.e. first party! And for that a person has to shell out another $200. The idea of free update or patch is well that it is free plus the game itself is only $40, not as much as a full priced console.....

And the DLC can also be half a year after the Wii U version and anyway, it will be atleast 3 months after the 3DS version...

Also I hate to bring people down but I think that honestly believing that we will still get more characters is just denying what you don't want to hear I want to be wrong but I doubt it
I am not denying anything. Isaac is not in the roster as the 3DS version stands today. That is true. I am just saying that besides Isaac there are other hopefuls, teased ones too, that were even more popular and have got shafted. Seeing that Nintendo would want to hype the Wii U game, I don't see why it won't reveal them afterwards. It is never too bad to hope. And if this is completely FINAL, then I just won't get the 3DS game. No C-stick, no Isaac, no big screen, no purchase. I can still get the Wii U version if it is satisfactory.

And just in case the thread closes:

The ride was fun, and full of surprises and ups and downs while it lasted. I still believe that Isaac stands a chance as DLC and this is not the final hype the game has had. But each to their own. I will keep believing! Plus everyone keep you spirits high, after all, it is just a game!

Peace! Going to sleep!

And if the thread is still open, see you here another time! Otherwise just meet ya throughout the forums!

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
And just in case the thread closes:
The entire character forum will be closed within 24 hours after the Japanese launch. It will reopen if DLC content is confirmed later.

Isaac being missing is still entirely suspicious. Unless CAMELOT didn't want him to appear in the game (highly unlikely), there's literally no reason to cut an AT, or make Isaac a Wii U exclusive AT. Golden Sun isn't even obscure at all, and there's far more obscure AT's that have been added, and have returned. Apparently Jill from Drill Dozer is still MIA as well, which would make at most 3 MIA AT's, two of which have massive potential to be playable, although only one of which is really all that popular of a request.

Unless Isaac was a burden on the 3DS' CPU (unlikely), there's no reason to cut him as an AT. Unless, again, Sakurai wants to keep things open in case he decides to do DLC later.

I'm not jumping at this from a "grasping at straws" / "hopeful" scenario, I'm jumping at this from a logical perspective.

Anyway, we'll see how things play out in time. For now, let's await The Lost Age's release on Virtual Console outside of Japan.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I don't mean to be a downer but DLC is very unlikely. Our best hope is Project M, and I'm very nervous the DLC speculation is going to get him cut from Project M...
Cheer up! DLC is very likely.

Sounds ridiculous doesn't it? Things said without anything conclusive to back them up usually do.

I just find it funny that people are so exceptionally negative about the prospects of Smash dlc not too long after being completely blindsided by Link/Villager dlc being announced for Mario Kart 8.

It isn't optimism talking when I say we don't know what Nintendo and Sakurai are doing.

Arteen

Smash Lord
It's been fun conversing with all of you other Golden Sun fans!

Hopefully we'll see Golden Sun rise again, be it Smash 4 DLC, Project M, or even GS4.

isaac3000

Smash Journeyman
Oh no...I hate it that Golden Sun is always overlooked...this joke has to stop, its not funny anymore... I refuse to accept that Golden Sun isn't represented in any form...

If Golden Sun doesn't make it in, then we can say goodbye to Golden Sun 4 as well...

The only ray of hope I can see is: What if Nintendo wanted to make sure that DLC is a thing in SM4SH? Since DLC=more money, so Sakurai thought, which character should I make DLC? The first wave of DLCs must consist of awesome characters...yeah, Robin is awesome for that spot (maybe even Stella too?)...

But I am frustrated that Duck Hunt Dog got in rather than Isaac...I mean????
It was a funny year (and for some of you guys the speculation lasted even more), I hope we can return to this thread, talking about our earth shaking adept DLC version!!

PS: The only reason I wanted to buy SM4SH was Isaac, since its not in my top X games and also, I am not that good in Brawl so...maybe I am not even getting this game...unless we get Golden Sun Content(which isn't just an Assist Trophy)!!!

Last edited:

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
I'm sorry but if my choices are to hope for Isaac as DLC (when there's no Golden Sun evidence AT ALL in Smash 4) or to hope he gets in Project M, I'm completely supporting Project M. I don't want Sakurai's BS trolling to ruin Isaac on project M, it's the only reason I was perfectly fine with Isaac being an AT again.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
It was a fun ride.
Don't know for how much longer they'll allow us to post here...

But everything's been great. Well, things didn't turn out for the best in the end, but until we find Isaac as a trophy somewhere (either the ordinary trophies, Assist Trophies, or Playable trophy model), I'll take Isaac's MIA status to be good news.

Mario Kart and Fire Emblem had DLC.
It's illogical to think that THE most hyped Nintendo game of the year (with MK8) will not support DLC.

But I can at least say I have several options to play as (or in this case... watch videos of other people playing as) in the meantime.
Heck.... just finding out that Bowser Jr. has all 7 Koopalings as alts was EXCELLENT news to me. It actually brought Bjr. from "I don't give a damn" tier status, to "Holy ****! I'm hyped!" tier status.

So in the end, I'm pleased. Screw Dark Pit, Lucina, and Doc. They can't take away Megaman, Duck Hunt, and Little Mac from me anymore. :D
I'll keep my fingers crossed for Isaac as DLC.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Another thing I find interesting about the three missing assist trophies (Isaac, Ray, Jill) is that overall they have a heavy leaning torwards handhelds. If you were to pick three brawl assists to be Wii U exclusives they certainly would not be the obvious choices.

Whether that's a good or bad thing remains to be seen.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Andy getting in over Isaac as an AT is quite shocking..
Is Andy as an individual character an actual AT, or is it just Infantry and Tanks? Because if its just Infantry and Tanks, its not a major deal. But if Andy himself is ACTUALLY an AT, that's surprising.

MrCatEater

Smash Apprentice
I wonder what the pic of the day is tomorrow I'm curious to see what is lined up after the ****storm that happened today

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
And, of those, I think the third is actually the most likely at this point. As much as I hate to admit it. As you say, restricting Isaac to AT on Wii U only is just weird. He was considered the best AT, he was very popular, why restrict him to just one?
So, yeah, I'm kind of losing faith in Nintendo. Not only have they cut completely a character from my second favorite game of all time, but they've openly mocked and ridiculed certain aspects of their fanbase. They've teased and then failed to deliver on plenty of aspects of this game.
Worst case scenario in all of this? Nintendo is planning to sell Golden Sun, but hopefully they will not. I honestly believe Nintendo would never do such a thing considering how long they have held on to their older franchises that are rarely used.

For those of use holding out for DLC for Isaac or for some unheard information on him, I believe this the theme that suits our situation and feelings quite nicely:

Last edited:
Top Bottom