• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Still I don't think it's one of the most notable elements when you think about Golden Sun.
Read my 2nd post above. And for Heaven's sake, play Golden Sun again! Then you will probably understand.

I hope.

P.S.

Using Djinn to increase your stats (and using said Djinn would temporarily decrease your stats) and using Spells and abilities to progress through the world is unique. No other RPG did that at its time.
I really need to learn how to shorten my posts :p That was short and concise!

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
And? You may not think it is one of the notable elements about Golden Sun, but it is.

So, are you here to support Isaac?
I support Isaac, but I think you guys are really overestimating how "stand-out" this JRPG franchise is. I can understand you guys are fans, but honestly it's just not as big or comparable as Dragon Quest, Mother, and any other popular RPGs out there. The only things that are standout are how you use the abilities to affect the environment in the game.

Last edited:

Pcubed007

Smash Rookie
Still I don't think it's one of the most notable elements when you think about Golden Sun.
It's probably one of the most important elements. Class customization, new skill sets, matching sets with the other party members for good balance, it's probably a bigger deal than Robin using Tombs, which he doesn't even need to use in the first place since he has a sword.

On a completely unrelated note, why is there such a crazy hype for Mewtwo?

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
It's probably one of the most important elements. Class customization, new skill sets, matching sets with the other party members for good balance, it's probably a bigger deal than Robin using Tombs, which he doesn't even need to use in the first place since he has a sword.

On a completely unrelated note, why is there such a crazy hype for Mewtwo?
Don't know. Maybe cause people want him back?

But I am asking myself why am I getting so hyped up for Isaac all of a sudden (more than normal). Maybe the time of reveal is nigh :p

And I am stuck to this thread, can't leave....

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I support Isaac, but I think you guys are really overestimating how "stand-out" this JRPG franchise is. I can understand you guys are fans, but honestly it's just not as big or comparable as Dragon Quest, Mother, and any other popular RPGs out there.
And I think you don't give this game the credit it deserves. It does stuff that no other RPG has, yet you have not acknowledged that it does.

In response to bold: So? It has its fans and they support Isaac to the fullest. Just because a game may not be as popular as another does not mean there is anything wrong with supporting the game.

So your whole point was to say that Golden Sun is not as popular as Dragon Quest and other RPGs? If so, then you should come up with a better reason why Golden Sun would not get a rep.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I support Isaac, but I think you guys are really overestimating how "stand-out" this JRPG franchise is. I can understand you guys are fans, but honestly it's just not as big or comparable as Dragon Quest, Mother, and any other popular RPGs out there. The only things that are standout are how you use the abilities to affect the environment in the game.
As I said, in my long essay, it is the way everything is put together that makes it an epic game. It may not be the grandest, or the biggest or the longest but for me it is the BEST!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
And I think you don't give this game the credit it deserves. It does stuff that no other RPG has, yet you have not acknowledged that it does.

In response to bold: So? It has its fans and they support Isaac to the fullest. Just because a game may not be as popular as another does not mean there is anything wrong with supporting the game.

So your whole point was to say that Golden Sun is not as popular as Dragon Quest and other RPGs? If so, then you should come up with a better reason why Golden Sun would not get a rep.
As I said in my edited post, the only thing that is standout about GS are how you use the abilities to affect the environment in the game. My point about Golden Sun was to bring up that it's a franchise that didn't make much of an impact or growth in popularity as other Nintendo RPGs out there. I'm done with the argument for now, so go ahead and keep talking about his potential and popularity as a character, but those two combined aren't enough (IMO) for Sakurai to add him as a new representative in Smash Bros.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
As I said in my edited post, the only thing that is standout about GS are how you use the abilities to affect the environment in the game. My point about Golden Sun was to bring up that it's a franchise that didn't make much of an impact or growth in popularity as other Nintendo RPGs out there. I'm done with the argument for now, so go ahead and keep talking about his potential and popularity as a character, but those two combined aren't enough (IMO) for Sakurai to add him as a new representative in Smash Bros.
Sure sure, whatever you say :p

Kycse

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nin-Kycse
I would actually disagree and say that Golden Sun was actually a big deal at the time. The GBA era was its shiniest moment and Nintendo defenitely knows that about GS. To say its not as Popular as Dragon Quest, etc really isn't that important because they aren't owned by nintendo. Xenoblade didn't make as big of an impact as GS but Shulk is in. Whats the difference? Timing. XC:X is coming out and he will sell that game, which will sell Wii U's. If GS4 was coming out on Wii U and not XC:X, you better believe we'd be getting Isaac over Shulk right now.

It's still my hope that Isaac will make his way in because he does have everything he really needs. Moveset potential, Awesome Music, Potential for new GS games to come out, Fan base, interesting character.

Aureola

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Queenrider
...I'm sorry, but have you even played the games? A lot of things are pretty unique, and this is coming from someone who's favorite genre is JRPGs.

Yes, it not as popular as Dragon Quest, but hardly any games are. I don't think that's a good example.

I'm sorry, but I'll just come out and ask you to stop posting negative stuff. We're all aware that there's a good possibility he's not playable. We don't need you to keep pointing it out every other day.

Edit: Okay, I realize I'm being a little rude, but reading through two pages of this argument is annoying.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Nope. Golden Sun stands out in the abilities to affect the environment and to use Djinn in battle.

"Golden Sun didn't make much of an impact or growth in popularity as other Nintendo RPGs out there"

Read this to see how people still remember it as fondly:

http://www.gameinformer.com/blogs/m...4/a-reflection-on-a-great-rpg-golden-sun.aspx

"
This post never made it to the blog page, so I'm going to repost it.

In 2001 a game titled Golden Sun game out for the Game Boy Advance, little did I know That this game would be one of my favorite RPG's ever. I just recently got into Golden Sun, despite the fact that it originally game out 10 years ago. I began to play the first one, when I was looking for a good RPG and I came to that one. The game was incredible and I'll reflect on the different aspects of it and how it is still great." <- Taken from Game Informer website.

This goes to show that even after 10 years, Golden Sun still has fans.

In response to underline: And? The only other RPG game that Golden Sun could have fought against was Fire Emblem and Pokemon and that doesn't change the fact that the game is still appreciated and liked internationally.

In response to bold: You see to be forgetting that Isaac uses Earth-Based Magic, something that no other SSB4 character does.
Sakurai is mainly looking for Unique characters, something which Isaac has in his Earth-Based magic.

TL;DR, you may not find Golden Sun as "worthy" as the other Nintendo Franchises, but that is not stopping him from getting in the game as a playable character. Isaac is unique, which is the main thing that Sakurai is looking for.

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
I would actually disagree and say that Golden Sun was actually a big deal at the time. The GBA era was its shiniest moment and Nintendo defenitely knows that about GS. To say its not as Popular as Dragon Quest, etc really isn't that important because they aren't owned by nintendo. Xenoblade didn't make as big of an impact as GS but Shulk is in. Whats the difference? Timing. XC:X is coming out and he will sell that game, which will sell Wii U's. If GS4 was coming out on Wii U and not XC:X, you better believe we'd be getting Isaac over Shulk right now.

It's still my hope that Isaac will make his way in because he does have everything he really needs. Moveset potential, Awesome Music, Potential for new GS games to come out, Fan base, interesting character.
True words. I have been trying to say that since so many posts. Except the part about XC: X and GS4. Golden Sun had made a huge impact and was still left out whereas Shulk is in. Who probably is not going to even be in XC : X.

Isaac will make it in, I believe. He is unique, has made a huge impact and he still has a fan base. Plus the music is obviously legendary, have it as my ringtone. And obviously Nintendo knows, otherwise why is it now on Wii U VC!

Nope. Golden Sun stands out in the abilities to affect the environment and to use Djinn in battle.

"Golden Sun didn't make much of an impact or growth in popularity as other Nintendo RPGs out there"

Read this to see how people still remember it as fondly:

http://www.gameinformer.com/blogs/m...4/a-reflection-on-a-great-rpg-golden-sun.aspx

"
This post never made it to the blog page, so I'm going to repost it.

In 2001 a game titled Golden Sun game out for the Game Boy Advance, little did I know That this game would be one of my favorite RPG's ever. I just recently got into Golden Sun, despite the fact that it originally game out 10 years ago. I began to play the first one, when I was looking for a good RPG and I came to that one. The game was incredible and I'll reflect on the different aspects of it and how it is still great." <- Taken from Game Informer website.

This goes to show that even after 10 years, Golden Sun still has fans.

In response to underline: And? The only other RPG game that Golden Sun could have fought against was Fire Emblem and Pokemon and that doesn't change the fact that the game is still appreciated and liked internationally.

In response to bold: You see to be forgetting that Isaac uses Earth-Based Magic, something that no other SSB4 character does.
Sakurai is mainly looking for Unique characters, something which Isaac has in his Earth-Based magic.

TL;DR, you may not find Golden Sun as "worthy" as the other Nintendo Franchises, but that is not stopping him from getting in the game as a playable character. Isaac is unique, which is the main thing that Sakurai is looking for.
Yes Golden Sun is still remembered, we are definitely a testament to that. Plus we have had so many people coming on the thread expressing their support for Isaac after trying out Golden Sun on VC. One as recent as last page as well!

Isaac is very unique and very worthy of a playable spot. He will get in!

Last edited:

BSTCloud

Smash Apprentice
So much Golden Sun conversation and remembering its virtues definitely makes me want to replay them! Aah, them screenies. I think I'm going to download a GBA emulator for my smartphone and use the dualshock to play... brb.

Maybe it's finally the time for me to actually finish TLA :p

Last edited:

Aureola

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Queenrider
So much Golden Sun conversation and remembering its virtues definitely makes me want to replay them! Aah, them screenies. I think I'm going to download a GBA emulator for my smartphone and use the dualshock to play... brb.

You should do that regardless of what happens to Isaac. That game is amazing. As long as you get all the Djinn in the first game so you can have 9 Djinn on a character. Though that's more of a personal opinion and the game is still good without that.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

...and if the leak is anything to go by, timing didn't help Shulk much, either. He's got a unique mechanic and maybe some unique moves we haven't seen but is otherwise a clone of existing sword users.

...I'm sorry, but have you even played the games? A lot of things are pretty unique, and this is coming from someone who's favorite genre is JRPGs.

Yes, it not as popular as Dragon Quest, but hardly any games are. I don't think that's a good example.

I'm sorry, but I'll just come out and ask you to stop posting negative stuff. We're all aware that there's a good possibility he's not playable. We don't need you to keep pointing it out every other day.

Edit: Okay, I realize I'm being a little rude, but reading through two pages of this argument is annoying.
I play all kinds of RPG's all the time, I love them all. Golden Sun DEFINITELY stands out, its very unique compared to tons of other RPG's out there. Granted, most RPG's I play have their own unique mechanics that make them stand out, and Golden Sun stands out amazingly well. I still have to play TLA, but I plan to wait until I get a Wii U for that and TLA is out on Wii U.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326

Or you can use the touchscreen. I have used a smartphone GBA emulator and you can get used to the touch buttons pretty fast. After all Golden Sun only uses the d-pad and a, b along with select and start. L and R are just used for psynergy shortcuts (which I only started using on my 3rd playthrough!).

And for me to get back to my TLA game as well. After sleeping, missing out on sleep due to this thread!

Also be sure to link your Golden Sun 1 save to TLA! First time I played TLA I didn't link so didn't get all Djinni and thus no Iris. 2nd time I used golden pass which was great. Third time link cable which was best!

...and if the leak is anything to go by, timing didn't help Shulk much, either. He's got a unique mechanic and maybe some unique moves we haven't seen but is otherwise a clone of existing sword users.

I play all kinds of RPG's all the time, I love them all. Golden Sun DEFINITELY stands out, its very unique compared to tons of other RPG's out there. Granted, most RPG's I play have their own unique mechanics that make them stand out, and Golden Sun stands out amazingly well. I still have to play TLA, but I plan to wait until I get a Wii U for that and TLA is out on Wii U.

It stands out too well for me. There is a reason it is still my favourite game of ALL time, even after tons of RPGs :) And my subsequent obsession...

Last edited:

BSTCloud

Smash Apprentice
You should do that regardless of what happens to Isaac. That game is amazing. As long as you get all the Djinn in the first game so you can have 9 Djinn on a character. Though that's more of a personal opinion and the game is still good without that.
My problem with the second game is that (spoilers)
For the first game you travel with Isaac and his friends, while Felix&co are completely lost and you don't know their whereabouts. They appear from time to time and you wonder how they are doing and if they are still safe, never showing them to you.

By the end of the first game your party sails out, and then you completely lose track of them at the most exciting moment.
And instead of showing you how Felix&co were doing in the first game, you get to control them, starting from scratch, while you are still wondering what's going with Isaac (and his already properly leveled partners), and you have to take care of a bunch of side missions and characters you don't even care about at the moment because you're wondering about Lemuria.

I found that to be so annoying. I think that issue should've been solved by making Golden Sun an entire game instead of two, and having the player switch control of both parties (like FFVIII did) with certain frequency, switching between Isaac and Felix, and living every point of their adventure. Not making you worry about a group of characters and when you kind of forgot about them because you are worried more about new ones, forget the latter to NOOOOW see what the former are doing.

But that's just my oppinion, of course. Gameplay-wise and music-wise I think TLA is still excellent, but story-wise it annoyed me so much I really never got through it.

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
My problem with the second game is that (spoilers)
For the first game you travel with Isaac and his friends, while Felix&co are completely lost and you don't know their whereabouts. They appear from time to time and you wonder how they are doing and if they are still safe, never showing them to you.

By the end of the first game your party sails out, and then you completely lose track of them at the most exciting moment.
And instead of showing you how Felix&co were doing in the first game, you get to control them, starting from scratch, while you are still wondering what's going with Isaac (and his already properly leveled partners), and you have to take care of a bunch of side missions and characters you don't even care about at the moment because you're wondering about Lemuria.

I found that to be so annoying. I think that issue should've been solved by making Golden Sun an entire game instead of two, and having the player switch control of both parties (like FFVIII did) with certain frequency, switching between Isaac and Felix, and living every point of their adventure. Not making you worry about a group of characters and when you kind of forgot about them because you are worried more about new ones, forget the latter to NOOOOW see what the former are doing.

But that's just my oppinion, of course. Gameplay-wise and music-wise I think TLA is still excellent, but story-wise it annoyed me so much I really never got through it.
I know how you feel! I really wanted that as well and agree with you 100%! That is why Golden Sun: TLA no matter how expanded and whole it is compared to GS: TBS, still feels lacking to me. That was the most exciting moment when we get the ship and they are like, now our journey begins, and then boom next game, Felix's party!

They couldn't make it one game due to size limitations of GBA cartridge but I really wanted Isaac's party to be controllable before the reunion in Golden Sun 2. Plus the start of TLA is boring in my opinion and I miss Isaac's party till I reach Jupiter Lighthouse. And when I have gotten used to the new party, boom, return of the original party. The new party is discarded and I use Isaac's party again :p

And then, Dark Dawn, here is another new party! No older members for you. :facepalm:

I also really wanted to visit Lemuria as Isaac.... No new dialogues if you take him later on!

It's like Isaac's party was unable to do anything in the 2nd game since you unlock everything as Felix and despite getting the ship first, they still lag behind.

And then there is the moment when Isaac's ship is not there and his party does not care!

GS: TBS was the best game of the series hands down. TLA expanded stuff but I had some problems with it. Don't even get me started about Dark Dawn which albeit great was lacking compared to both of its predecessors.

Oops, sorry for the rant. Back to rooting for Isaac! :laugh:

Aureola

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Queenrider
Even here Felix gets no love. :p

I like TBS and TLA equally, actually. I didn't really love the whole fetch quest to get to Lemuria, but there are parts in TBS I didn't like either, so it kind of balances it out.

I'm trying to decide what my final party will be whenever I actually get to that point of TLA. Isaac and Jenna will be in for sure, but I haven't decided who the other two will be. I'm debating on Piers because Piers, but do you guys have any suggestions?

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Even here Felix gets no love. :p

I like TBS and TLA equally, actually. I didn't really love the whole fetch quest to get to Lemuria, but there are parts in TBS I didn't like either, so it kind of balances it out.

I'm trying to decide what my final party will be whenever I actually get to that point of TLA. Isaac and Jenna will be in for sure, but I haven't decided who the other two will be. I'm debating on Piers because Piers, but do you guys have any suggestions?
Haha I didn't mean it that. Felix has got it tough. Real tough. Nothing against the guy, just prefer Isaac. But to be fair he has a higher defense, attack and hp than Isaac although Isaac beats him in luck, agility and pure awesomeness!

Well if you want a pure damage party, why not try the 4 Ronin setup? Isaac, Garet, Jenna and Felix. The true "Warriors of Vale"!

Although I often make Garet a Dragoon, his damage output is still high, his speed lowers and his HP is still great. He becomes a backup healer but healing is not really needed for this party. Jenna is usually a tamer, Ivan a Pierrot and don't remember who the Dark Mage. Isaac is mostly Ronin or Ninja, same with Felix. I use all 3 item dependent classes + rest tri elemental classes.

Last edited:

Pcubed007

Smash Rookie
I'd like to take this moment to comment on the uniqueness by showing how rare (at least as far as I know) it was to have a direct sequel where you get your characters with all of their original stats, items, djinn, etc. Made it feel like one big story.

Aureola

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Queenrider
Haha I didn't mean it that. Felix has got it tough. Real tough. Nothing against the guy, just prefer Isaac. But to be fair he has a higher defense, attack and hp than Isaac although Isaac beats him in luck, agility and pure awesomeness!

Well if you want a pure damage party, why not try the 4 Ronin setup? Isaac, Garet, Jenna and Felix. The true "Warriors of Vale"!
Isaac does beat him in those areas, yes :p. I honestly feel sorry for the guy. He gets no credit, even in his own series. I do think Jenna made sure Matthew knew all about his role in the events, though. Isaac probably helped with that, because I can't imagine him loving all the fame. Or Jenna made him. Your pick.

The problem is that's what my party was last time. I'm trying to mix things up a bit. Which is why I'm using Amiti instead of Sveta in DD (which is going so much faster than TBS. Why couldn't they have released it in the 3DS?)

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
This game is easily the most stand-out title on the GBA. At the time of the release of The Lost Age, it had a hype train that encompassed pretty much everyone who owned a GBA. The series was huge back then, and its popularity did surpass several of the main RPG series (Final Fantasy Tactics Advance). It had a significant impact on the console and the market, and it is easily the best RPG Nintendo has ever made themselves.

BSTCloud

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if I'd say Felix beats Isaac in that but... his battle theme can just be defined as RAD.
I want to play TLA just to hear it again, it's just pure brilliance!!

P.S: I'm glad I'm not the only one who has the problem with TLA, that's exactly why the first GS will be my most dear one forever. I just love it, there is nothing I don't love about it :love:

*Came in expecting a lot of panic about the leak*

*Instead is surprised by fanart of Felix*
Not everything has to be leaks and deconfirmations, I'm glad we're having this little debate about the good ol' times :p

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I'd like to take this moment to comment on the uniqueness by showing how rare (at least as far as I know) it was to have a direct sequel where you get your characters with all of their original stats, items, djinn, etc. Made it feel like one big story.
It was one big story, just released in two sections. Kind of like The Lord of the Rings, which was written as one book but released as three, because publishers didn't think a time that size would sell alone (yep, LotR outgrew its medium long before video games started doing the same thing).

Aureola

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Queenrider
Is it possible to just play on the GamePad without turning on the TV? My problem is that people always need the TV and I want to play Golden Sun. It's actually a miracle I managed to finish Wind Waker HD...

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Is it possible to just play on the GamePad without turning on the TV? My problem is that people always need the TV and I want to play Golden Sun. It's actually a miracle I managed to finish Wind Waker HD...
Yes. It's pretty much the only way i play these days.

Also, Select button toggles to Game Pad in Wind Waker.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
I know how to do it in WW. I just can't figure out how to for other games.

Someone please tell me. I must play GS!
It's a start up option, IIRC. Give me a few hours to get back home and I'll outline it step by step.

Top Bottom