• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Isaac for DLC - One day. Some day. Golden Sunday.

MrCatEater

Smash Apprentice
Hm a bit out of the loop but who were the two characters deconfirmed as AT's on Mondays?

Also I'll join that prayer circle.
Prince Sable from Kaeru No Tame Ni Kane Wa Naru or the Frog for Whom the Bell Tolls and Takamaru from Nazo No Murasame Jou or the Mysterious Murasame Castle much to my chagrin
Edit::4greninja:'d

Last edited:

Mendelsin

Smash Cadet
Here's what's gonna happen tomorrow.
Pic of the day.
Picture of "move" psynergy hand.
"Pic of the day! This looks familiar! It's the same move used by Isaac from Brawl! But this time his son Matthew is the one doing the action. But....What happened to Isaac...?"

Sakurai posts a link in another post. Link to new character trailer.
Isaac gets confirmed.
Celebration.

You heard it here first folks.

Last edited:

BSTCloud

Smash Apprentice
Pic of the day.
"Pic of the day! This looks familiar! It's the same move used by Isaac from Brawl! But this time his son Matthew is the one doing the action. But....What happened to Isaac...?"

Isaac gets confirmed.
Celebration.

I'm going to crap my pants if that happens.

Oz37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
smozzy
Pic of the day.

Isaac gets confirmed.
Celebration.

I like. But what if...

"Pic of the Day! Back to Move fights along is the Assist Trophy Isaac from Golden Sun!

By the way, I heard he had a son..."

I know many would be disappointed, but I could totes see it happen (and it wouldn't bother me a bit >.>).

MrCatEater

Smash Apprentice
Pic of the day.

Isaac gets confirmed.
Celebration.

Sigh if only! Well I'm going to sleep here's to hoping Isaac lives to be confirmed another day after tomorrow!

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'm a little nervous, I won't lie D: And I don't even think Isaac is super likely to be playable, but I'm still super anxious about it and desperately hoping I'm wrong XD Ugh, Sakurai, why do you do this to meee D8

Bingoshi

Smash Apprentice
I like. But what if...

"Pic of the Day! Back to Move fights along is the Assist Trophy Isaac from Golden Sun!

By the way, I heard he had a son..."

I know many would be disappointed, but I could totes see it happen (and it wouldn't bother me a bit >.>).
Lol, same here. I like Isaac and Matthew about the same, so it wouldn't bother me much either. I'd be happy to get ANY playable Golden Sun character, to be honest.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
A double post and I can't do anything about it. Oh gawd.

Anyway, again, if people would like to be added to the support list, please tag me, otherwise I might miss it.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Pic of the day.

Isaac gets confirmed.
Celebration.

Yes! That would be amazing! I don't dislike Matthew but I don't want Isaac to be shafted in favour of his son. After all he is the protagonist of the 2 games as well as the overall leader of the "Warriors of Vale". I totally want Isaac to be playable and let his son be the trophy! Nice idea :D

If Sakurai has any idea what he is doing (which he probably does), he will add Isaac not his son. Majority wants Isaac, some don't care about Matthew or Isaac and minority wants Felix/Matthew. The one who clearly represents the series should get in i.e. Isaac.

Grand Gaia! Isaac's the one casting it not Matthew.

A double post and I can't do anything about it. Oh gawd.

Anyway, again, if people would like to be added to the support list, please tag me, otherwise I might miss it.
Please add me to that support list!

Last edited:

Mendelsin

Smash Cadet
Yes! That would be amazing! I don't dislike Matthew but I don't want Isaac to be shafted in favour of his son. After all he is the protagonist of the 2 games as well as the overall leader of the "Warriors of Vale". I totally want Isaac to be playable and let his son be the trophy! Nice idea :D

Duude where do you find those drawings? top notch

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Duude where do you find those drawings? top notch
The internet is full of fanart :D I just pick out the awesome ones, although I intend to start drawing some myself. I hope they turn out atleast half as nice as some of these.

Bingoshi

Smash Apprentice

If Sakurai has any idea what he is doing (which he probably does), he will add Isaac not his son. Majority wants Isaac, some don't care about Matthew or Isaac and minority wants Felix/Matthew. The one who clearly represents the series should get in i.e. Isaac.

While I understand that Isaac makes the most sense as the one Golden Sun rep, I feel like we shouldn't get...upset/angry if, say, Matthew was chosen instead (I doubt he would, but still). I feel we should be happy if Golden Sun even gets a character in the first place. For the sake of GS fans everywhere, I hope Isaac is playable, but if his son got chosen instead, I'd hate to see people get upset about it. Especially since even Isaac himself would be happy for his son, I'm sure, lol. That's just my view on it though, so...yeah. By the way, that picture is awesome.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
While I understand that Isaac makes the most sense as the one Golden Sun rep, I feel like we shouldn't get...upset/angry if, say, Matthew was chosen instead (I doubt he would, but still). I feel we should be happy if Golden Sun even gets a character in the first place. For the sake of GS fans everywhere, I hope Isaac is playable, but if his son got chosen instead, I'd hate to see people get upset about it. Especially since even Isaac himself would be happy for his son, I'm sure, lol. That's just my view on it though, so...yeah. By the way, that picture is awesome.
Matthew would be ok, but Isaac is more iconic to the series. So I don't buy this notion that Matthew is likely at all to get in over Isaac. Matthew would be a huge stretch, and Isaac is almost the same anyway, but he's more iconic to the series. That's literally the only difference between the two, so there's no reason to add Matthew over Isaac.

EDIT: Also I beat Golden Sun now and wrote down my massively long password into a text file. :D

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Matthew would be ok, but Isaac is more iconic to the series. So I don't buy this notion that Matthew is likely at all to get in over Isaac. Matthew would be a huge stretch, and Isaac is almost the same anyway, but he's more iconic to the series. That's literally the only difference between the two, so there's no reason to add Matthew over Isaac.
Pretty much this. The only reason to add Matthew would be if we had Golden Sun 4 coming out, and Camelot told Sakurai that Matthew was the lead again. Otherwise, Isaac is the heavily requested character. He's the face of the franchise. He's the one who's been in every game. Etcetera.

Bingoshi

Smash Apprentice
That's not what I was saying at all, good sir. I was simply saying that IF Matthew was chosen, for whatever reason, it shouldn't be looked at as a bad thing. Isaac is more iconic and deserves his spot in the game, that is true. I was just saying. Sorry if that came off wrong or something.

Smash_Handle69

Smash Apprentice
I was just thinking of something: Since the Golden Sun series has lost some popularity over the past few iterations, it's still developed a significant cult following. Wouldn't it make sense to make a Golden Sun rep (hopefully Isaac) to hopefully revitalize the series like Sakurai did with Kid Icarus and Brawl? I think the same thing happened with Fire Emblem and Melee as well.

Edit: I feel sorta :4greninja:'d by Skyblade12. God, I hoping I'm using that verb correctly.

Last edited:

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
I'll be happy with any Golden Sun rep, but getting Matthew instead of Isaac would be like getting Pichu instead of Pikachu, you know? Not as iconic.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
That's not what I was saying at all, good sir. I was simply saying that IF Matthew was chosen, for whatever reason, it shouldn't be looked at as a bad thing. Isaac is more iconic and deserves his spot in the game, that is true. I was just saying. Sorry if that came off wrong or something.
No, I can see that. And you're right, if Golden Sun gets in at all, we should be happy.

Heck, I would be happy. Let it be Jenna who gets in (for all those "moar female reps!" people). I'd still love it. It would bring so much attention back to the series that is desperately needed, and it would still showcase the absolutely awesome battle mechanics that would work brilliantly in Smash Bros.

Just give us a Golden Sun character. Heck, give us four of them (one for each element). Give us Sage Hama as an Assist Trophy. Give us Doom Dragon as a stage boss. Give us Dullahan in Smash Run.

JUST REPRESENT, SAKURAI!

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Again, I'd be ok with Matthew. I just think its a stretch to suggest Matthew has any chance of getting in over Isaac, that's all. :p

I was just thinking of something: Since the Golden Sun series has lost some popularity over the past few iterations, it's still developed a significant cult following. Wouldn't it make sense to make a Golden Sun rep (hopefully Isaac) to hopefully revitalize the series like Sakurai did with Kid Icarus and Brawl? I think the same thing happened with Fire Emblem and Melee as well.
The difference is Golden Sun isn't an "old" franchise being revived. Its last game came out the same year Xenoblade did. The only reason people think Golden Sun representation is unlikely is because Dark Dawn wasn't as good as the originals and didn't sell well. That's literally the only reason.

Now, granted, Golden Sun getting into Smash would be a HUGE boon for the franchise. It'd bring it more into the spotlight than just Isaac being an AT.

Bingoshi

Smash Apprentice
Again, I'd be ok with Matthew. I just think its a stretch to suggest Matthew has any chance of getting in over Isaac, that's all. :p

The difference is Golden Sun isn't an "old" franchise being revived. Its last game came out the same year Xenoblade did. The only reason people think Golden Sun representation is unlikely is because Dark Dawn wasn't as good as the originals and didn't sell well. That's literally the only reason.

Now, granted, Golden Sun getting into Smash would be a HUGE boon for the franchise. It'd bring it more into the spotlight than just Isaac being an AT.
I feel you're saying that I'm saying that Matthew is likely, which is not what I'm saying. I feel the point of my comment was lost on you, but that's okay.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I feel you're saying that I'm saying that Matthew is likely, which is not what I'm saying. I feel the point of my comment was lost on you, but that's okay.
No, the comment wasn't lost on me, I got what you were saying, I was just clarifying my piece, that's all. :p

Or like getting Lucario instead of Mewtwo. amiright?!
Difference is Mewtwo isn't the main and most iconic Pokemon character.

Smash_Handle69

Smash Apprentice
Difference is Mewtwo isn't the main and most iconic Pokemon character.
Yeah, I know. It's not supposed to be completely analogous, it's mostly a joke. To be fair, I do like Lucario, especially in Project M. (He's so fluid and his moveset's so cool. I wish he was the official Lucario, and DAMN that Aura Mechanic!!!!!!!) Pichu to Pikachu is probably the best analogy.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
JaidynReiman, he is not saying he wants Matthew over Isaac, but he would like any character from Golden Sun.

Bingoshi Said:

While I understand that Isaac makes the most sense as the one Golden Sun rep, I feel like we shouldn't get...upset/angry if, say, Matthew was chosen instead (I doubt he would, but still). I feel we should be happy if Golden Sun even gets a character in the first place.
He is saying that we should still be happy that Golden Sun gets any character at all, even if it is not Isaac.

He is not debating, but explaining why having Isaac or Matthew is a good thing.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Pretty much this. The only reason to add Matthew would be if we had Golden Sun 4 coming out, and Camelot told Sakurai that Matthew was the lead again. Otherwise, Isaac is the heavily requested character. He's the face of the franchise. He's the one who's been in every game. Etcetera.
Looking at the ending of Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, it is quite possible to bring Isaac to the limelight again. The whole party has separated by the end of game and it is unlikely that you do the same thing as last time, travelling to each home town of the companions and picking them up to come along on the journey. Especially due to hints related to Isaac not being there at the end of the game plus Himi's vision related to him, I feel that Camelot can easily make Isaac playable thus negating the point of Matthew being playable in Golden Sun 4. And he still remains the face of the franchise, which he still is since Matthew carries around his face everywhere he goes :p

Too bad Matthew is a complete clone otherwise, Isaac and Matthew in the same party kind of like Felix and Isaac would have been awesome. But it does happen in a way at the start of DD. Maybe Isaac can get some different stat growths in the next game, better than Matthew's. Although that would kind of negate Matthew's role in GS 4 but that is fine with me :D

I'll be happy with any Golden Sun rep, but getting Matthew instead of Isaac would be like getting Pichu instead of Pikachu, you know? Not as iconic.
And thus that is why we always get Pikachu instead of Pichu and why we will get Isaac over Matthew. The first Earth Shaking Adept has to make it in! A Matthew skin or an adult Isaac skin is fine but the reveal should be young Isaac.

Last edited:

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
I'm fine with either Isaac or Matthew. To me, the only real difference is that Isaac has breastplate nipples and the better smashboards thread :troll:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Looking at the ending of Golden Sun: Dark Dawn, it is quite possible to bring Isaac to the limelight again. The whole party has separated by the end of game and it is unlikely that you do the same thing as last time, travelling to each home town of the companions and picking them up to come along on the journey. Especially due to hints related to Isaac not being there at the end of the game plus Himi's vision related to him, I feel that Camelot can easily make Isaac playable thus negating the point of Matthew being playable in Golden Sun 4. And he still remains the face of the franchise, which he still is since Matthew carries around his face everywhere he goes :p
Agreed, that's why I also included the "and Camelot told Sakurai that Matthew was the lead again". Because bringing Isaac back makes a lot of sense.

Too bad Matthew is a complete clone otherwise, Isaac and Matthew in the same party kind of like Felix and Isaac would have been awesome. But it does happen in a way at the start of DD. Maybe Isaac can get some different stat growths in the next game, better than Matthew's. Although that would kind of negate Matthew's role in GS 4 but that is fine with me :D
That's the thing. If Isaac is back leading the party, Matthew as a character is pointless. With the buildup we got, Matthew getting the Sol Blade, the whole Matthew/Sveta shippiness, etcetera, I can't see them wiping out their character that way. I think Matthew is going to be important to Golden Sun 4.

There's also the balance problems. Isaac at this point is god tier. There's a reason you didn't start with Isaac in The Lost Age, it let them reset the play experience. Tuning things for where Isaac would be would render the other characters useless. We'd probably get a quest to go hunt for Isaac, letting Matthew build up more, then stumble upon him as we neared the end again.

And thus that is why we always get Pikachu instead of Pichu and why we will get Isaac over Matthew. The first Earth Shaking Adept has to make it in! A Matthew skin or an adult Isaac skin is fine but the reveal should be young Isaac.
Agreed.

That said, I would still be happy with any and all Golden Sun characters they want to bring in. Add in the entire cast of all three games. There's still enough variety to the movesets to accommodate them all (seriously, I've been doing that).

Smash_Handle69

Smash Apprentice
I'm fine with Mathew, heck i'm shure we'll get the two of them anyhow due to alts. Also I doubt the assist and playable thing. as cool as it would be though...
I highly doubt we're going to get a Matthew alt, let alone alts that are completely different characters, as opposed to just a different form of that character, but this is a baseless assumption on my part. I might be dead wrong.

Actually your completely wrong, but now is not the time to discuss these things. or the place.
As I've already said, it was mostly a joke. I do like Lucario, and am looking forward to trying him out in Smash 4 and the soon-to-be-released Project M v3.5 (hopefully they buff him a bit). But as you've said, this is neither the time nor place to further this discussion. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have even posted this post. Sorry!

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
They'd have to find a good way to differentiate Isaac and Matthew, and I'm sure they could pull it off. Isaac is older now, he should have higher Strength and Health and be able to use different types of weapons Matthew can't. Matthew would still need a way to balance things out as well, but I'm sure they could pull it off and make both Matthew and Isaac useful.

One idea brought up a while back in this thread is that the plot point/cliffhanger the game ended on may result in the characters (possible spoilings):

...losing their powers/stats and having to regain them.

That'd be very uncharacteristic of Golden Sun to date, but it'd be an interesting way to allow Isaac to be the main protagonist again. Although I hope they cut it with the whole "Silent Protagonist can only speak when he's not the main protagonist" thing and just make them speak normally even when they are the main character.

JaidynReiman, he is not saying he wants Matthew over Isaac, but he would like any character from Golden Sun.

He is saying that we should still be happy that Golden Sun gets any character at all, even if it is not Isaac.

He is not debating, but explaining why having Isaac or Matthew is a good thing.
I know, I clarified that. I was only making that comment as a general comment and I wasn't directly implying that Bingoshi thought anything.

EDIT: That pattern broke quickly, guys. Although, that theory of Isaac's outfit being available for Mii's might not be that far off at this rate... Maybe even Matthew's.

Last edited:

Bingoshi

Smash Apprentice
I highly doubt we're going to get a Matthew alt, let alone alts that are completely different characters, as opposed to just a different form of that character, but this is a baseless assumption on my part. I might be dead wrong.

As I've already said, it was mostly a joke. I do like Lucario, and am looking forward to trying him out in Smash 4 and the soon-to-be-released Project M v3.5 (hopefully they buff him a bit). But as you've said, this is neither the time nor place to further this discussion. In retrospect, I probably shouldn't have even posted this post. Sorry!
Well, Sakurai did say "even if two characters' names and voices differ, as long as they function the same way, I assign them as alternate costumes." That, and Lucina was going to be an alt for Marth at one point. I'm not saying a Matthew alt is possible, but I'm not going to say it's impossible either. Anyway, let me stop talking about Matthew. This is Isaac's thread, anyway.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I know, I clarified that. I was only making that comment as a general comment and I wasn't directly implying that Bingoshi thought anything.
Did you clarify it as a general comment or make any statement that could relate it as such?

The wording of your exchange looked as though you were debating with Bingoshi without giving Bingoshi any indication that you were not actually debating anything, but clarifying Isaac's chances.

You gave no clarification whether or not you were debating, which in return, had Bingoshi to believe there was an exchange of conflicting opinions.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Did you clarify it as a general comment or make any statement that could relate it as such?

The wording of your exchange looked as though you were debating with Bingoshi without giving Bingoshi any indication that you were not actually debating anything, but clarifying Isaac's chances.

You gave no clarification whether or not you were debating, which in return, had Bingoshi to believe there was an exchange of conflicting opinions.
I was agreeing with Bingoshi and adding my own thoughts on the comment. I used to see people suggesting all the time that they didn't think Isaac would be added, instead they'd use Matthew instead. I thought it was pretty clear as to what I was saying. :p

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I was agreeing with Bingoshi and adding my own thoughts on the comment. I used to see people suggesting all the time that they didn't think Isaac would be added, instead they'd use Matthew instead. I thought it was pretty clear as to what I was saying. :p
You may think it was clear to understand, but the way you worded your sentences would throw anybody off from thinking as such.

You made it as playful bantering; however, since you did not flat out say: "Isaac and Matthew could both get in, but I feel the need to explain why Isaac is more likely, not to discuss this mater as Isaac vs. Matthew.". Wording it this way would have sufficed and gotten rid of any misunderstandings.

I am not trying to start anything, but I have seen flame wars start like this many times before.

Top Bottom