• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is this something new? AT? Unique DI effect?

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Dear Everyone:

Every now and then, something odd happens whenever I try to do a narrow thunder wall (short distance between T1 and Pika's body). This postwas rushed out of excitement and is far from a tutorial.

Anyways, we have what we have: a temporary fusion of T1 (Thunder 1 - the "rod" > vertical hitstun) and T2 (Thunder 2 - the explosion from rod hitting 'Chu > OUCH hitstun).

Personal Observations thus far:
1. Two different heights
2. High one can be done on either side of T1. However, observed instances thus far have Pikachu facing opposite direction of where he is facing during the jump. *still testing > Does the reversal of Pikachu's sprite affect the distance and hitbox requirement for the passing of T1 and the explosion of T2 at the same time?
3. Low one is MUCH lower with pikachu exploding near the TOP of the lightning rod next to the stage.

*Still testing: effects of stages, slants, and walls, different reversals, short/full/double/QAC hop, and its applications in aerial play, edgeguarding, and offstage "Wall with Pain" (LITERALLY).

This beta vid is going to be my first video on this topic. I would appreciate any help or would like to help anyone else who have also discovered this. Responses would be cool too! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCZJeaCdoFM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sincerely,
LDPK, A fledgling Smashboarder

PS. If this really is a new tech... I SO WANT TO TRY NAMING IT! :D Thanks

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
This is pretty amazing, bro. As if you weren't already a beast with Thunder. So what's the method? Just do a moving Thunder, then air control back into T1?

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
I am thinking its more of like.... combination of jumping DI with wavebouncee. Either that or very close jumps left or right while also switching the pickachu sprite.

As for the low version, sprite reversal is not a problem b/c the edge of FD pushes you back into thunder (so long as your jump is close enough anyway). I think for beginners, try doing a close thunderwall on Yoshi's Island stage, should achieve same effect every now and then.

Edit* Team implications > Mario's/squirtle's water, toon link's d-air wind and twilight's wind?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I've done this before ;o also this happens in SV when you thunder and it his the platform but the platforms gets out of the way right away then the thunder goes to you.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
Ive also done this before, mostly on accident. looks badass though, and if we can control it i would defeinitly be interested.

and someone has lurked for a while :p do you play online legendary?

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Oh me? Well if I had a better internet connection then I would be playing internet matches more. I normally am a QAC'er--don't know how some lag could affect me. I would like to try some online matches tho.

Oh, I was thinking of terming this "little-noticed" thunder phenomenon something.

Tell me what you guys agree on or like:

1. Quantum Thunder (two kinds of thunders at once)
2. Thunder Delay (although does not describe the bottom hitbox of T1 when done in the air)
3. Dual Thunder (may be confused with double thunder but same meaning as #1)
4. Fusion Thunder
5. Cross Thunder
6. Phantom/Ghost Thunder
7. Thunder Cancel

ETC names that I thought about and LOVED, but not very TechVocab-friendly:

1. Raikiri (Lighting Cutter) - Naruto reference
2. Impaling Thunder (high version pikachu seemingly "splits" thunder)
3. BoomRod > BoomSTick
4. Thunder Dance
5. Thunder Tango
6, ThunderBlade
7. ThunderStream

Van Jones

Smash Lord
I can't say that I do this a lot, but I have wavebounced thunders on occasion so that I can place the thunder between myself and my opponent.

Besides the example I just listed, I'm not really sure if this has any true applications. I look a it a little closer later.

Aveean

Purple Yoshi Double Dunker
This looks great, and it could be quite useful! I'm going to experiment with it on my own these next few days =)

Awesome discovery.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I have seen a wavebounced thunder but not one in which Pikachu moves back into his thunder and still receives the lightning bolt.
Indeed intriguing, but I cannot think of a reasonable situation in which that is necessary.
We'll have to do some testing to discover its practicality in the heat of battle.

lmntolp

Smash Apprentice
Cool, this is a lot safer than dropping straight down while using thunder. From the list of names, I like Cross Thunder the best because what ur doing is crossing the path of ur thunder. Thunder cancel works too because the "wall" gets cancelled. This move actually made me think of ness/lucas' PK thunder, except that instead of aiming the electricity into you, pikachu aims himself into the electricity. That made me think of another name for this XD, Pikay Thunder.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Delayed Thunder, or whatever you might call the thunder involving blue and touching pika would be the most accurate.

What might be nice is if the yellow bolt hits them into the blue sweetspot

YES

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
From what I can tell, it looks like you did thunder while jumping with a low enough horizontal speed to still DI back into the thunder so it hits you.

My suggested names:
Thunder 1.5
Short Circuiting
Hybrid Thunder

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
With quick attack, QAC, and this "Thunder trick," would that make pikachu the most control-stick-acute character in the whole game?

*Recent finding: Apparently as far as my trials go, high version "cross thunder" cannot be done directly above a platform, but instances of crossing or fusion occur when pikachu touches the ground.*

10+ hours of trying:
Many Edgeguard crosses
~10 offstage crosses of different heights
3 grounded crosses (looks like normal thunder 2 but rod is active longer and T2 occurs about 1 second later)
0 aerial on-stage crosses

Please keep me updated on any other findings. Thanks! :D

SilverSpark

Smash Journeyman
Here are a few other possible names... I kind of like Cross Thunder though. Raikiri's also pretty amazing XD I'd go with Raikiri :)

Split Thunder
Zig Thunder + Zag Thunder (for high and low?)
Lightning Blade

oh, could I put this in the technique thread?

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Split Thunder or Thundersplit sounds somewhat cool, I like that ;o

And try to get the yellow bolt combo into blue blast. please. haha

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Its about midnight and my conclusions are...

* maybe DI doesn't help at all after pikachu initiates thunder
----if that is the case, then its just horizontal input before summoning thunder.... (still need to work on this).

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
DI has no effect once thunder is initiated. it has something to do with the thunder randomly jumping over and hitting pikachu. this has happened to me many times. imo it is a set process and you cant really control it once it has started.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
That's what I sort of figured. I am looking into the varying hitboxes of thunder at various points. I want to see if it is "truly" random or whether thunder just varies left or right at several points. If it is not random, then the short horizontal hop before may be the key; if it is random, then I'll try to see whether its practical to attempt a short thunder wall > edge sweetspot (edgehog tactic) and if the event of "Crossing" occurs instead of sweetspot, I'm going to see whether that'll mess up the edgeguard tactic or add in some crazy mindgame and still gimp opponents. I mean, we can literally say that we're gambling with lightning now! XD

Also, I want to see if Cross thunder is safe to use edgeguarding G&W's recovery. Thunder 2 (explosion sweetspot) cannot be absorbed by G&W bucket, but when one tries to hit offstage, the G&W just drops to ridiculously low heights and hits from pikachu's blind spot below. What about a thunder rod (take hit or bucket) to a T2 within a close vicinity to G&W?

At the very least, I could see this Cross Thunder as a neat hard-to-punish mindgame tactic.

I am going to post a video documenting the 1-2 Amazingness of Yellow to Blue, Rod to Boom gimps with varying opponent's DI in the near future.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Also, I want to see if Cross thunder is safe to use edgeguarding G&W's recovery. Thunder 2 (explosion sweetspot) cannot be absorbed by G&W bucket, but when one tries to hit offstage, the G&W just drops to ridiculously low heights and hits from pikachu's blind spot below. What about a thunder rod (take hit or bucket) to a T2 within a close vicinity to G&W?

At the very least, I could see this Cross Thunder as a neat hard-to-punish mindgame tactic.

I am going to post a video documenting the 1-2 Amazingness of Yellow to Blue, Rod to Boom gimps with varying opponent's DI in the near future.
Actually I thought GW's bucket could absorb the Blue. weird.

and bolt-boom will be great haha.

Top Bottom