• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is this Normal?

Pyr0

Smash Ace
Ok, so I went to my first (BIG) Tournament

I reached the semi-finals with no problem, I was comboing left and right, chaingrabing the space animals (I main Marth) and overall having a nice time wining.

But there, against my Oponent (in the semi) He was using Samus, I started to rack up some damage, lost a stock, killed him twice, but out of the sudden WHAM! I start missing my Shorthops, I just couldnt keep up or something and lost.

My question:

Is it normal to suddenly get exited and miss the SH becouse of your fingers twiching too much?

How can I train SH to avoid this stuff?

Kada

Smash Journeyman
Getting nervous or excited is perfectly normal when you're in a tournament, and under pressure. The only real way to work on this is just to go to more tournaments. Put yourself in that situation more often.

Even the pros get a little twitchy when they're playing, so it never really goes away. Don't really worry about it. You'll notice the feeling getting weaker the more tournament experience you gain.

I don't have a lot of experience myself, in fact, my first large tournament, TransCanada, is coming up in two weeks. So I'll be able to experience this firsthand =P

Pyr0

Smash Ace
Well, Ill try to go to more toruneys, but still, I dont want this thing to happen again, its not cool at all, you tell your hands to do something, but they do something else =S

I might try a different method of SH tho, perhaps the one that you slide your finger, ill see if that helps me.

Oh btw, Good luck on your toruney

tshahi10

Smash Ace
get high and drunk. you wont have a problem then.....

jk. just press buttons quicker. i honestly have a harder time full jumping under pressure, so you maybe just mashing

jmic

Smash Ace
I've attended 3 large local NorCal tournies... 2 with dismal results and 1 a lot better. I found myself more relaxed when I was listening to my iPod. That's just me though.

I got to play my idol, Silent Spectre, and I thought I'd choke out, but I removed two stock from him in both matches. I still lost, but I didn't choke as much as I did in the last two tournaments.

Another thing to note, were you warmed up for the semis? Sometimes the downtime between matches can cool your hands down. If that's the case, you should play more friendlies to keep your hands warm and ready.

Joe_Sumo

Smash Apprentice
Stay relaxed and practice short hopping on 1.5 in practice. Also theres two ways to short hop the other might be easier for you. One is letting go of the button super fast(thats what i do) the other is sliding your thumb across y so that how hard you press the buttion doesnt matter

CBNJ

Smash Journeyman
Try listening to music, it helps some people out. Just relax, and realize that it's just a game, and you'll do fine. :p

_clinton

Smash Master
I'd say short hop with someone like the Pika's (if you get good with their short hop, then others are easier)

Giggidax

Smash Ace
sometimes i have trouble full jumping when i need to. because i try and do a trick right when i leave the ground with a full hop. so i end up pressing jump too short and doing a sh aerial.

edit:: to perfect shorthopping i think u should play fox for awhile. unless u alrdy play fox, then all i can say is practice shdl or shl. ull get beast at shorthopping real fast

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master

I reached the semi-finals with no problem, I was comboing left and right, chaingrabing the space animals (I main Marth) and overall having a nice time wining.

But there, against my Oponent (in the semi) He was using Samus, I started to rack up some damage, lost a stock, killed him twice, but out of the sudden WHAM! I start missing my Shorthops, I just couldnt keep up or something and lost.
LOL, what tournament was this? And who was the Samus?

lol i stopped reading there.
LMAO, I hear that...

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Yea i completely agree there too

My problem at my first large tournament was facing KDJ

oh and that **** F-smash edgeguard.. i really wanted that weeg to die

Sariku

Smash Master
My first Major tournament... was a nightmare. I didn't get past the first round, and the dude completely abliterated me. It was about a year ago. But a month or so again I entered it, and I versed the dude. It was close, but he beat me. But I got so much better.

Just keep going to them. You get better.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
This happens to me too, but not in tournaments [there are none to go to here]. It only happens when people are watching which is a pain in the ***. It lowers my skill to noob level [which isn't too far from my current skill level] and I end up looking and playing like crap. Just find a way to remain calm constantly and you'll be ok.

Kaede - KeyWei

Smash Cadet
Lol we get nervous at some point! I listen to music and concentrate and half the time don't know what I am doing!! ('Specially to Tetris xP)

Pyr0

Smash Ace
I wasnt really nervous, it was more like an adrenline rush or something, I just started to go on Instinct or something and mashed the buttons all the way down hard instead of quick taps.

lol i stopped reading there.
Well, Im not sure what you ment, but there was about 200 Players in the tournament, at least 100 of them where just good reflex players not really teching. another bunch were fastfallers (mainly Fox, more than half my matches were vs him =S) wich im used to facing and dont have much problem against.

The tournament was in Puebla, Mexico , I was visiting my cousins there (vacation ftw!) but you know the rules, never leave home withought your controller.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
No he said that because if its your first tournament and there was 200 people (lie)

you wouldn't have made it that far.. sorry

Pyr0

Smash Ace
First Big tournament.

I have played in some local (Tijuana, Mex) ones but no-where neer as big in numbers as that one.

I played 7 Matches, won 6 and ****ed up real bad in the last one.
(No 2 out of 3 there, it was 1 match, win you pass, lose your out, 3 stocks)

Is it that hard to belive A player can win 6 matches? its not like i trained against level 9 cps...

(I train with 2 other smashers that live neer my house, and sometimes a friend from school comes to my house and pisses me off with peach =S)

Also, not every single one of the toruney smashers was a competitive pro; I recall faceing a sheik that just spammed tilts and u-smashes. (Dont get me wrong, there were some good players out there.)

But belive what you want; My point here was only to ask if its normal to lose some control while under the heat of battle, not to convince a jury that im inocnet (waching too much Judge [NAME] shows on tv is bad for you xD)

Sodapop

Smash Apprentice

My question:

Is it normal to suddenly get exited and miss the SH becouse of your fingers twiching too much?

How can I train SH to avoid this stuff?
That happened to me a few days ago....But I would have won if I would have used that cape....(I was using D. Mario)

Pyr0

Smash Ace
Im not saying its hard, im saying that I started missing them for no reason at all.
(well there must be a reason, but i dont know it xD)

Top Bottom