• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is there a worse design choice in Smash history than the K.O. bar?

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
Why, oh ****ing why, does the K.O. bar charge when you get hit? Why should a player be rewarded both for getting hit, and landing hits? That's not a reward, it's an inevitability. If you are in any way participating in the game, this instant deploy one-hit K.O. move will be available to you and it won't even take long. They actively went against the way it worked in the Punch-Out series (charges when hits are landed, depletes when you're hit), when that would have made so, so much more sense. Rewarding good play? Providing a finisher on the end of a combo? It would've been perfect! What the **** was Sakurai thinking, I genuinely can not reconcile this with any logical thought. Has this been discussed much?

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
I'm less than fond of it as a game design choice, yes.

My distaste for it stems from the fact that as a game mechanic, it's degenerate. Either Mac is dead before Punch is charged, or the whole game turns into his opponent attempting to avoid getting Punched while throwing out as many random safe moves as possible in an attempt to kill his charge.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Sakurai seems to have a bad habit of making certain mechanics reward getting hit. See: The rage mechanic, Lucario.....

Last edited:

cardboardowl

Smash Apprentice
It's a comeback mechanic, which mac needs cause frankly he isn't very good.

Also rage doesn't "reward bad play". It's common in a ton of fighting games. It rewards staying alive.

Nat Goméz

Smash Apprentice
We have so much whinning threads in the Little Mac forums :p

Why would you make a character almost deffenseless in the air, and then give him the worst recovery in the game? This doesn't make any sense in smash, all the fighters should be able to jump and attack whenever they please. Smash is a game where you jump and get thrown offstage all the time, cutting this options for just one character is a little harsh don't ya think? Actually is just TOO harsh.

And that's why we have this mechanics. To balance what they did to the character. And if KO bar increased just by hitting and decreased by taking hits, then Mac would need to be able to always out play his opponent in order to get it. If he had that advantage, why would he need it in the first place? It charges when taking hits to compensate in how early he can die, and how fragile he can be.

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457

Why would you make a character almost deffenseless in the air, and then give him the worst recovery in the game? This doesn't make any sense in smash, all the fighters should be able to jump and attack whenever they please. Smash is a game where you jump and get thrown offstage all the time, cutting this options for just one character is a little harsh don't ya think? Actually is just TOO harsh.

And that's why we have this mechanics. To balance what they did to the character. And if KO bar increased just by hitting and decreased by taking hits, then Mac would need to be able to always out play his opponent in order to get it. If he had that advantage, why would he need it in the first place? It charges when taking hits to compensate in how early he can die, and how fragile he can be.
Or... why not just fix the stupid air/ground imbalance so the K.O. bar can work differently without it throwing out his balance? I agree with you, his airgame being awful is a huge disadvantage and it makes him really boring and one-dimensional. So why don't they just change that? I was really looking forward to finally being able to play as Little Mac in this game, but the character in Super Smash Bros doesn't feel like a Punch-Out representative at all, and this is just one of the problems with that.

The way it worked in the arcade games and Super Punch Out on SNES was specifically so that once most of the damage has been applied, your K.O. Punch is ready to finish them off. Just give him a lot of chip damage options and then the K.O. bar is the finisher that you get as a reward for a lot of that. You know, like it was in the Punch-Out series.

Last edited:

Nat Goméz

Smash Apprentice
I understand what you mean, the character is unbalanced in his weaknesses and strenghts to actually be balanced at the end. The big change on his gameplay was considered, a way for him to be more 'balanced', Ground and Air game. But then Sakurai said in a Famitsu page that he won't be maiking any big changes to characters that change their gameplay too much, so that's why we think Mac will stay how he is.

You could give him a try though, if you like the character. I'm personally having lots of fun with him just now.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
It charges when taking hits to compensate in how early he can die, and how fragile he can be.
Now I'm gonna stop you here, and ask you to think about the mechanic and how what you just said relates to it.

Remember, the KO bar resets to 0 when Mac dies.

Quisciens

Smash Cadet
If you want to get that specific, Little Mac NEVER EVEN HAD THE KO PUNCH.

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
To answer the question in the title, yes: tripping.

[H]is airgame being awful is a huge disadvantage and it makes him really boring and one-dimensional. So why don't they just change that?
I don't think it necessarily makes him boring and one-dimensional. On the contrary, it gives him a unique feel and playstyle compared to the rest of the characters in the game.

If all characters had recovery and jump that were as bad as Little Mac's, would the game be less interesting? Of course. But having just a single character with those characteristics creates a whole bunch of entirely unique matchups centered around his unique strengths and weaknesses. And I don't think that's a bad thing at all.

Last edited:

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
For real.

Or... why not just fix the stupid air/ground imbalance so the K.O. bar can work differently without it throwing out his balance?
There's this idea called dynamism. In this case, having one particularly strong trait while also being burdened by a particularly weak trait. What this creates is a very interesting and fragile character, that exceeds stupendously when piloted correctly, but crumples by simply being thrown off the stage.

Think about the varied opinions people have on Mac. We see it over and over: people who say Mac is garbage and never lose to him, but also the players who complain and say he's broken. That is a good and interesting character to have in the game. You're suggesting he be flattened out and simplified which is frankly a horrible idea considering how well Mac was done in this game.

I'm 30000000% the developers tried to keep the KO meter based only on his own hits. I'm sure that weakened him further than needed. Like @ Nat Goméz Nat Goméz said, that kind of meter would require total and constant control of the game. That would probably be even worse.

I'm with you when you talk about the transition from the Punch-Out games to Smash. But Mac is probably the best done Smash character in history. Interesting, unique, beatable.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Bad design can be unique (hell, it's easier for unique designs to be bad) and beatable, but Mac is far far far far far from interesting or an exercise in good design.

Mac is weak? I agree, but that's because he's binary. Instead of being dynamic, which is all about the ability to adapt to a situation, he's static. Either he's in control of the ground game, or he's dead. People hate playing against Mac even though they can wreck him/he's weak? That's a decent sign that your design is bad, and that you should consider what makes people dislike him so much.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Bad design can be unique (hell, it's easier for unique designs to be bad) and beatable, but Mac is far far far far far from interesting or an exercise in good design..
There are like 50 characters in this king of the hill game. One of them - one singular character and no one else - has no aerials and only works on the ground. I guess that can be your opinion if you don't think that's a hella interesting wrench to throw into the game.

Mac is weak? I agree, but that's because he's binary. Instead of being dynamic, which is all about the ability to adapt to a situation, he's static.
Again, 1 static character among 49 "adaptive" characters is a good and interesting thing to have.

Either he's in control of the ground game, or he's dead. People hate playing against Mac even though they can wreck him/he's weak? That's a decent sign that your design is bad, and that you should consider what makes people dislike him so much.
That's a decent sign that people suck. Always and forever people will point out weaknesses after losing. This is to preserve ego and discredit the opponent. The design is truly bad is when the weaknesses can never be overcome. I don't see no Little Macs sweeping tournaments? Am I missing some tournament results where Macs are going undefeated? Do people even talk about him being a top tier?

The only people who hate playing against Mac aren't winning against him (because they're bad).

Last edited:

jmanup85

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jmanup85
3DS FC
1633-4569-8126
There are like 50 characters in this king of the hill game. One of them - one singular character and no one else - has no aerials and only works on the ground. I guess that can be your opinion if you don't think that's a hella interesting wrench to throw into the game.

Again, 1 static character among 49 "adaptive" characters is a good and interesting thing to have.

That's a decent sign that people suck. Always and forever people will point out weaknesses after losing. This is to preserve ego and discredit the opponent. The design is truly bad is when the weaknesses can never be overcome. I don't see no Little Macs sweeping tournaments? Am I missing some tournament results where Macs are going undefeated? Do people even talk about him being a top tier?

The only people who hate playing against Mac aren't winning against him (because they're bad).

This deserves to be liked twice by me, but it can't. Also, aura is pretty bad and so is luma.

Last edited:

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
You keep using that word. You haven't stopped being wrong about it. You might think that variety is the spice of life, and that's all well and good, but Mac's "variety" comes at the cost of actually being bad for the game and the people who play it.
Are you incapable of reading or something? Do you see anybody saying that Mac is too strong? Are you seeing someone talking about Mac being without weaknesses? Or are you just an idiot who went off on a tangent that has nothing to do with the topic of discussion?
The only people that play Mac are noobs and people who couldn't find their asses with both hands (see, I can make sweeping generalizations too!)

In any case, one doesn't have to lose to a bad mechanic to know it's a bad mechanic (case in point and in fact the subject of the topic, KO punch).

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
No need to fly off the handle.

"Bad for the game": okay, so if we want to focus discussion lets define that.

My impression of what you are calling "bad for the game" and why I brought up Macs lack of results is "breaks competition". To clarify even further, Mac is bad for the game because he wins in a cheap way. Unfairly, without merit through the KO punch.

Again, I bring up Macs lack of results, because if this really was a degenerate mechanic, there would be abuse, and there would be more wins. There is no abuse. You cannot abuse Mac in tournament because his flaws will always be exploited.

"Bad for the game", past your definition, would be an element that is overtly controlling. An element that not only controls certain matchups but the game as a whole. Meta Knight was an element in Brawl that would have benefitted from being removed. Ice Climbers.

Removing Macs Punch would detract from Smash 4. The game is that much more enriched with it included. Hell the game could do more with these crazy polarizing characters. they add value, while a more bland traditionally balanced character like your asking for would be much much more boring.

Quisciens

Smash Cadet
The funny part, SaltyKracka, is that your entire post there was meant to insult the user you were replying to. Well done. You only ever made a point at the end.

The KO punch allows Little Mac to win match-ups that he would otherwise never be able to win(mark never), and it still takes skill because he needs to land it.

Last edited:

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
If you want to get that specific, Little Mac NEVER EVEN HAD THE KO PUNCH.
Actually he did. It's ripped from Super Punch-Out.

Now, mind you, I'm not a fan of the KO Punch, mostly because I would have preferred the Star Punch, but it's a semi-decent substitute.

Last edited:

Quisciens

Smash Cadet
It's debatable whether or not that's really Little Mac. Another little nod you might have missed is how the K.O. Punch is an uppercut. In Super Punch-Out!!, the strongest K.O. Punch was the right uppercut.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Little Mac is a boxer. Boxers don't fight in the air. Therefore Little Mac sucks at aerial combat. That's why he needs the KO meter to compensate his shortcomings (pun not intended).

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
No need to fly off the handle.
I get annoyed when people open their mouths and dump all over the discussion with irrelevancies.
My impression of what you are calling "bad for the game" and why I brought up Macs lack of results is "breaks competition". To clarify even further, Mac is bad for the game because he wins in a cheap way. Unfairly, without merit through the KO punch.
And that's where you're incorrect. I don't think he breaks competition. He's not SF2 Akuma, he's not Brawl MK. He's poorly designed, and IMO matches with him suffer because of that design.

I consider KO Punch an excellent example of that bad design, because it emphasizes the gameplay pattern (i.e. "Don't bother actually hitting Mac or trying to KO him normally, just get him offstage and gimp him") that he by design forces matches into. It's the same as the other mechanics in Smash 4 that reward getting hit without dying (rage, Aura) or, seen from another perspective, punish hitting people without killing them.
Again, I bring up Macs lack of results, because if this really was a degenerate mechanic, there would be abuse, and there would be more wins. There is no abuse. You cannot abuse Mac in tournament because his flaws will always be exploited.
What I've been trying to say is that his results don't matter (although he's obviously weak, which also does speak to why I think he's poorly designed), and I'm not saying his mechanics are exploitable for power. What I'm talking about is the effect that they have on the game as it is being played. What do people do when you've got KO Punch charged? Do they approach you, desperate to land a hit to drain your charge? Do they try even harder to bait you out and punish you? Or do they just run away even harder, spamming whatever projectiles they might happen to have because being near Little Mac is poison, and a charged KO Punch reduces the game to whether or not they're in the right spot when Mac happens to press a button?

In short, does KO punch make playing the game better?
"Bad for the game", past your definition, would be an element that is overtly controlling. An element that not only controls certain matchups but the game as a whole. Meta Knight was an element in Brawl that would have benefitted from being removed. Ice Climbers.
You're right, that was some heated rhetoric that I should have clarified. What I meant was that it makes for poor gameplay. What that brings me to is another comparison. You highlighted the Ice Climbers as characters that could have been removed and would have made the game better for their removal, right? This would have been because of their ability to catch opponents in chaingrabs that would (properly played) go from 0-death without the opponent being able to play. This brought their gameplay to the binary state of players ending up either alive or dead based on one grab. Now this is/was obviously broken as **** and couldn't be allowed in the next game, but the thing about the Ice Climbers was that they were the logical end point of the existence of chaingrabs. Which were promptly removed in Smash 4, and I think everybody breathed a little sigh of relief once they found out, because chaingrabs weren't fun. They might have been unique and they might have been interesting (I don't consider them to be, but that's a matter of opinion), but they made Brawl a worse game for their existence.

That is the sort of thing I'm talking about when I refer to something as making for poor gameplay.
Removing Macs Punch would detract from Smash 4. The game is that much more enriched with it included.
[Citation Needed]
Hell the game could do more with these crazy polarizing characters. they add value, while a more bland traditionally balanced character like your asking for would be much much more boring.
Here's a thought experiment. Imagine a character who can shoot an absolute wall of projectiles across the stage, filling all available space that you could think to approach through and knocking you back (for the sake of a silly visual, go ahead and imagine Unlimited Lloid Works) and thus preventing you from ever even getting near the character. OP, right?

But wait, this character is literally the lightest piece of fluff in the game, and one simple smash attack or a couple of tilts will suffice to KO the character. Does this make the character less OP? Probably. Does it make the character a good design? Hell no.

But wait, said character is countered by the existence of characters with projectile reflection or absorption moves! That certainly makes them less OP, but then you've got the problem of characters that don't have projectile reflection or absorption moves, and the fact that the existence of this character means they are now absolutely terrible and will never see competitive viability. "Oh well, it's polarizing!" is something I imagine you might say to that, and the answer to that is that I've been building to with this whole thought experiment.

If something is actually polarizing in a competitive game, it is BAD DESIGN.

Last edited:

Mode

Smash Cadet
First off, you need to chill out. No, need to start insulting the intelligence of others just because they don't agree with you. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, but guess what. So do a lot of people. What sets you apart? What credentials do you hold that you feel that you are the supreme authority on character design?

Back to the topic at hand. I can understand why people feel that the KO punch rewards bad gameplay, but I think it's just another dynamic to Little Mac's kit. It makes him different and different is often appreciated in the Smash community . It's not polarizing to the point that it's gamebreaking. If you want keep touching on how it's bad because it rewards bad play then if the player is really that bad they shouldn't be able to land it on you anyways. There are a fair amount of ways to prevent it. Don't wanna get KO punched? Kill Mac before he charges his bar, any throw or strong attack makes him lose it, spot dodge or bait it (it's severely punishable afterall), if you're not damaged then don't be afraid to approach and pressure him, worst case scenario you get hit with and and take 40 damage, but a huge threat is gone. Using the KO punch isn't automatically easy because it is easy to obtain.

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I'm just never going to think that's horrible design because it can be taken away so easily. It was an ordeal by itself to get rid of Nana, but KO Punch? A single hit takes it away?????

Pretty much the most fun I've had with a Smash game. So intense! My heart rate!

It's just such a boring, uninspired, uncreative mode of thinking when you want to remove the soul of Smash.

Last edited:

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
Here's a thought experiment. Imagine a character who can shoot an absolute wall of projectiles across the stage, filling all available space that you could think to approach through and knocking you back (for the sake of a silly visual, go ahead and imagine Unlimited Lloid Works) and thus preventing you from ever even getting near the character. OP, right?

But wait, this character is literally the lightest piece of fluff in the game, and one simple smash attack or a couple of tilts will suffice to KO the character. Does this make the character less OP? Probably. Does it make the character a good design? Hell no.

But wait, said character is countered by the existence of characters with projectile reflection or absorption moves! That certainly makes them less OP, but then you've got the problem of characters that don't have projectile reflection or absorption moves, and the fact that the existence of this character means they are now absolutely terrible and will never see competitive viability. "Oh well, it's polarizing!" is something I imagine you might say to that, and the answer to that is that I've been building to with this whole thought experiment.

If a particular character has overpoweringly good matchups against some players, overpoweringly bad matchups against other players, and no even matchups, like the hypothetical character you described, then I would indeed call that bad design. You can certainly argue that this is case with Little Mac (though I haven't seen enough tournament play to come to that conclusion myself), but it's hard to argue that the KO Uppercut is what makes that the case.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
First off, you need to chill out. No, need to start insulting the intelligence of others just because they don't agree with you. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, but guess what. So do a lot of people. What sets you apart? What credentials do you hold that you feel that you are the supreme authority on character design?
I'm not! But I'm also not the one who keeps making this topic about people and personalities, instead of design and gameplay, which I want to discuss.
Back to the topic at hand. I can understand why people feel that the KO punch rewards bad gameplay, but I think it's just another dynamic to Little Mac's kit.
I think you're misinterpreting what I've had to say. I'm not saying it rewards bad gameplay, I'm saying it as an instant-KO mechanic promotes defensive play, and that its charging mechanic promotes the existence of Mac's already binary paradigm of nobody actually wanting to engage him on the ground, let alone the fact that it charges faster when he's getting hit than when he hits. IOW, it introduces bad gameplay, and decreases reasons for Mac's opponent to want to interact with him.
It's not polarizing to the point that it's gamebreaking.
I quite agree, but that whole rant was more about my irritation with people using 'polarizing' as if it were something positive.
If you want keep touching on how it's bad because it rewards bad play then if the player is really that bad they shouldn't be able to land it on you anyways.
You don't seem to have grasped what I feel to be the distinction between unhealthy gameplay and rewarding unskilled gameplay. Rolls in this game reward unskilled gameplay and make the game far more defensive, but they're nowhere near as unhealthy as chaingrabs were.
A single hit takes it away?????
And a single hit kills you! Not something all that healthy to have in the game, IMO.
Oh, I quite agree. I just have a thing about people thinking 'polarizing' is something positive in game design and a separate thing where I feel that KO Punch is badly designed.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Think of it this way: most characters can get really
low percent KOs in a process known as gimping, or edge-guarding.

Little Mac pretty much cannot do this, the most he can do
in most situations is try to Dsmash poor edge snapping.
We've all seen Nair gimping, but generally he simply can't
go out and stop an opponent from recovering.

This is where the KO punch comes in. It lets him get
those low percent KOs without risking himself offstage, and I
don't think having it filled from taking damage is necessarily
rewarding poor play from Mac. Rather, it serves as incentive
for the opponent to get him off and keep him off the stage.
Getting a punch is meaningless if you're knocked offstage.

Basically, I think the punch is there to fill big edgeguarding
gap in Mac's playstyle.

CCCM89

Smash Ace
it charges as a way to give the player a fighting chance if they're getting the everloving **** beaten out of them and they can't so much as hit the ground. getting beaten up without a chance is not fun. the KO upper gives you a chance.

Agi

Smash Lord
You're right, that was some heated rhetoric that I should have clarified. What I meant was that it makes for poor gameplay. What that brings me to is another comparison. You highlighted the Ice Climbers as characters that could have been removed and would have made the game better for their removal, right? This would have been because of their ability to catch opponents in chaingrabs that would (properly played) go from 0-death without the opponent being able to play. This brought their gameplay to the binary state of players ending up either alive or dead based on one grab. Now this is/was obviously broken as **** and couldn't be allowed in the next game, but the thing about the Ice Climbers was that they were the logical end point of the existence of chaingrabs. Which were promptly removed in Smash 4, and I think everybody breathed a little sigh of relief once they found out, because chaingrabs weren't fun. They might have been unique and they might have been interesting (I don't consider them to be, but that's a matter of opinion), but they made Brawl a worse game for their existence.
I was thinking of the same parallel with ICs while going through this thread, I'm glad someone else mentioned it. It's not at all that Mac can't be beaten, he certainly can - he just forces you to play his game to a greater extent than anyone else in the roster, especially when that KO punch gets filled. The optimal strategy for dealing with that is just to run away for 10 seconds, and that's not fun for anyone.

That said, it makes a heck of a lot of sense for it to fill up when he takes damage - in the context of 4-8 player FFA with items. The average Mac in that context may not even get a chance to do enough damage normally getting all bounced around between what's going on. It just becomes toxic when it's brought down to the For Glory competitive level.

Last edited:

KingTeo

Smash Apprentice
What the **** was Sakurai thinking, I genuinely can not reconcile this with any logical thought.
Sakurai was thinking that this was a casual party game. Which is why it's a mechanic that is more of a comeback opportunity instead of one that rewards players who are already winning. 385

Geizt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Icarus
3DS FC
3196-3334-4755
As everyone has said Mac is easy to gimp and just murder once he's off stage. If you've hit him enough to charge his KO punch without KO'ing him then I think that's your fault. No air game, basically no recovery and you still can't KO the guy before it's charged?(Even at that point it's a one chance hit or miss attack.) Doesn't look like the issue is with Little Mac.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I was thinking of the same parallel with ICs while going through this thread, I'm glad someone else mentioned it. It's not at all that Mac can't be beaten, he certainly can - he just forces you to play his game to a greater extent than anyone else in the roster, especially when that KO punch gets filled. The optimal strategy for dealing with that is just to run away for 10 seconds, and that's not fun for anyone.

That said, it makes a heck of a lot of sense for it to fill up when he takes damage - in the context of 4-8 player FFA with items. The average Mac in that context may not even get a chance to do enough damage normally getting all bounced around between what's going on. It just becomes toxic when it's brought down to the For Glory competitive level.
I don't think Mac loses his KO punch over time, only
after he takes a solid hit (though he has about three seconds
after getting it where being hit hit won't make him lose it.)

Agi

Smash Lord
I don't think Mac loses his KO punch over time, only
after he takes a solid hit (though he has about three seconds
after getting it where being hit hit won't make him lose it.)
...huh. Yeah, I guess you're right, I could've sworn it did... well, that does fix part of it.

loserprance

Smash Rookie
NNID
loserprance
3DS FC
1934-0996-6943
Why should a player be rewarded both for getting hit?.
And all the Lucario players in the room just shuffled in their chairs a little bit.

Regarding the question, the KO Meter is pretty questionable but not nearly as bad as I once expected, to me at least. It's pretty easy to whiff (and leaves them open for a moment if they do), can't be used to take a stock off of someone who had just died previously, and to hit it, LM players have to stop dash-attacking and rolling away from you to go in for it, which is the last thing they want to do.

Captain Soviet

Smash Apprentice
The weak must be purged from this game! 1HP STAMINA MATCHES! Weak mortals will NEVER be rewarded for sucking so much they get hit in Smash again!

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
To the people saying it's bad design for Mac to build up the KO punch from taking damage, you're pretty off. The reason that mechanic is there is to reward a player for using super armor correctly. Just think, if all of the damage you took to build up the KO punch was done outside of armor, you'd be dead. This is why Mac is shown abusing his neutral B super armor to build up his meter in his trailer, it's intended to be used as a vehicle to get the KO punch. Mac is a light weight that is easily gimped.

Now the KO punch is also charged when Mac dishes out damage, and that "rewards" the player for being competent and still managing to fight instead of sponging up damage to get a KO punch opportunity. These two mechanics are there to pretty much make sure a good Mac player will get at least one shot at his KO punch in a match.

The KO punch is a great mechanic for smash, it balances out a character that would be really bad with out it, and it introduces an interesting dynamic into the match.

This is a skill balance though, landing the KO punch is not easy against any player that knows what they're doing. You being good with Mac means you can fight efficiently with him to build up the punch, and then still managing to land your KO punches when you need to. Not one or the other, but both.

And all the Lucario players in the room just shuffled in their chairs a little bit.

Regarding the question, the KO Meter is pretty questionable but not nearly as bad as I once expected, to me at least. It's pretty easy to whiff (and leaves them open for a moment if they do), can't be used to take a stock off of someone who had just died previously, and to hit it, LM players have to stop dash-attacking and rolling away from you to go in for it, which is the last thing they want to do.
It can be used to take off a new stock if you're smart about it, it's actually something I commonly do. Sometimes I purposefully finish off a player without the KO punch even though I have it available. This is because if I can get the opponent to about 20ish percent without getting touched, I know I can fish out a d-tilt into KO punch and finish them.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Well, to answer the question in the title, yes, there is. Recall the days of Brawl when random tripping was a serious threat that loomed over everyone's heads (or feet, I guess) at all times.
Seriously, though, I'm not a big fan of the power meter/KO punch either. It essentially rewards bad play by giving a player who is getting their :dkmelee: handed to them a free comeback chance and turns the match into a game of Keep Away until the opponent manages to land enough safe blows. It's like if Sandbag was introduced as a playable character, but every 50-60%, he gained a screen nuke that eradicated every other fighter onscreen >30% or so. The KO punch essentially removes the need of worrying about smart play or character matchups. You can juggle that Little Mac player all you want, and it won't make a difference in the long run as the match will eventually degrade into Red Light, Green Light: The Fighting Game no matter who's winning.
That's just my two-cents, anyway.

Last edited:

Ijuka

Smash Ace
Heh, the KO bar is pretty stupid.

In 2 stock matches, one of 2 things generally happens for me:

#1: I kill the opponent while not taking a whole lot of damage. Generally get KO bar early on on the opponent's second stock, very real possibility to just end the match right there as they're in combo %s.

#2 I get destroyed early on and get full KO bar, comeback with it is a very real possibility as the opponent will be on low enough %s to get combod.

It leaving you vulnerable when whiffed is a non-issue. I would only use it as a clear punish on a roll or just using the true combo into it. There's been plenty of stocks where I get destroyed and still get the kill before them by landing a single dtilt(3 frame startup and safe) which combos into KO punch.

However! Little Mac's biggest issue is that he dies early off stage. You're not even supposed to rack up a ton of % to kill him, you can just throw him off the stage and edgeguard him rather effortlessly and I believe that's the intended counter to both Little Mac and his counter. Of course, in reality it's not that easy against the stronger players but it's still something to keep in mind.

Venks

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VenksUSA

That's not a good comparison at all. This imaginary character of yours would beat every ranged character in a projectile fight, but that's not the case with Little Mac. Little Mac has a hard time on the ground against Donkey Kong, Dedede, and Captain Falcon. DK has more range with his tilts that can smack Little Mac out of his dashes. Not to mention DK can shut down any grounded approach with his down-B which is significantly improved in this game. Oh and DK can beat out Little Mac's super armor with his own super armor. Little Mac needs to get DK to about 110% to land a KO while DK only needs to get Little Mac to 60%. Not to mention DK has aerials as well and does not have trouble gimping Little Mac.

I won't go into the other matchups, but yeah Little Mac's match ups going by his strengths (fighting on the ground) are not as polarizing as you make them out to be.

The KO Punch is crazy good, but it's very easy to whiff. Personally I just enjoy the threat of the ability. If my opponent predictable goes on the defensive then I'll just go hyper-offensive and take the stock with a smash attack if I can. Then on the next stock when they start to play aggresively again I'll tack on 22 or so damage and KO Punch a predictable roll or a shielded aerial.

The hypest moments at the tournaments I've been playing in Australia and America have been my own matches. Little Mac is naturally an exciting character and landing his KO Punch during Grand Finals tends to result in a lot of screams from spectators. These are my personal experiences globally, but feel free to point out tournaments where people find Little Mac boring and uninteresting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom