• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is the only way for Ryu to get a kill vB -> SRK?

LP-800

Smash Rookie
It's impossible for me to get any kills besides that because Ryu is so slow and has no aerials that can kill without getting airdodged

LP-800

Smash Rookie
it's impossible to hit with F Smash or Bair at kill % or even at all because this game is ****ing stupid and allows you to play cautiously with no repercussions

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
It's impossible for me to get any kills besides that because Ryu is so slow and has no aerials that can kill without getting airdodged
How is Ryu slow when his aerial acceleration is in the upper half of the cast and run speed wise he is as fast as Mario?

Also why would you need anything else but Shoryuken?

LP-800

Smash Rookie
Elaborate please???
Air dodge, spot dodge, and rolling are almost unpunishable unless you get a hard read and even then it's extremely hard
The only people I've seen that can do all of those consistently are top level tournament players

How is Ryu slow when his aerial acceleration is in the upper half of the cast and run speed wise he is as fast as Mario?

Also why would you need anything else but Shoryuken?
Because the only way to hit with shoryuken is after a focus attack and it's easy to get baited into abusing focus attack since it's ryu's only good option as a kill move

Zionaze

Smash Ace
So many false claims. If focus atk is your only way of landing a SRK then your going to need to start mixing things up

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
You dont need too. Just walk around doing utilt when they are in kill percent. Its pretty safe on shield and on whiff you really won't be punished. It takes alot of skill and great reactions to confirm off a single utilt though.

If your opponent does something unsafe on your shield just shield drop then combo into SRK. FADC movement is good for baiting something then you can punish as well.

Also his bair is safe on shield. you can more or less just throw it out and not fear retaliation as long as your spacing wasnt terrible.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
First of all, yes, Shoryuken is going to be your primary kill move. It's the easiest to confirm into, and it's strong and fast, making it often a good choice the second your opponent leaves an opening.

If you're trying to kill with f-smash and b-air and your opponent never seems to let you, it means you are fishing too hard for kills. Be more concerned with always trying to keep your opponent boxed in. Some opponents play with the style of waiting for you to over commit and will even willingly stay boxed in without opening themselves for a big hit. Just keep chipping away at them. Be more stubborn than they are. It takes a long time, but eventually the danger of being killed by many small hits will come and they will flinch. This also takes a lot of consistency, so make sure to focus practicing on making as little flubs as possible.

Hope that helps

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
I've been maining Ryu for a while and I can confirm that it is really difficult to land any KO moves on a character that zones well and keeps away. I find that the only way to get my kill is to rack up percent until past 150% and land a hold jab or side B or uair. A lot of my kills end up being like that. And it's not like I'm bad with Ryu or anything, in fact I'm quite fluent with his arsenal, but his chasing game is not great.

Last edited:

LittlePac

Smash Cadet
You are beyond bad if you think FA is the only way to land SRK. Lol oh my lord.

FallenHero

Smash Ace
LOL he has more ways to kill than just SRK. Bair, f smash, heavy jab, and true Tatsu are moves Ryu can kill with. Anyways SRK is such a good kill move that he doesn't even need that many kill moves.

Last edited:

malicecrossrevolver

Smash Apprentice
You can KO with:
Up tilt hold,
standing Hold A,
Any Smash attack,
Up air,
forward air,
down air,
back air,
true tatsumaki,
the hadoken if you catch them off by pushing them off the ledge!,
the dash attack,
even the focus attack.
and of course the Shoryuken.
All of these require the right damage.

But If your bread and butter is grabbing, then Ryu probably isn't for you.

Migster

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5069-4417-4697
You can KO with:
Up tilt hold,
standing Hold A,
Any Smash attack,
Up air,
forward air,
down air,
back air,
true tatsumaki,
the hadoken if you catch them off by pushing them off the ledge!,
the dash attack,
even the focus attack.
and of course the Shoryuken.
All of these require the right damage.

But If your bread and butter is grabbing, then Ryu probably isn't for you.
When you down smash them at 140% near ledge and they still don't die

Top Bottom