• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is the footstool jump useful?

3xSwords

Smash Lord
OK what's the point of making a seperate thread when you are going to answer your own question? Footstool jump is considered useful. Depending on each character it could be more useful or not but it has its uses.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
yes. T_T

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
Yes, but not for the reasons you've said. It's generally (though not always) ineffective off the stage, as it is hard to land and your opponent will often hit you before you can.

However, it has some insanely powerful combo applications. If you footstool someone over the stage, they will tumble and fall and land on the ground prone, without the possibility of a tech. This sets up perfectly for a number of locks, like Jab locks, Laser locks, and Wolf's Nair lock. And, the best part is, when a Footstooled-Prone opponent is hit by one of these attacks, it functions as a jab reset, so when the combo ends, they are forced to stand up without the possibility of Rolling or using a get-up attack, allowing the Footstooling player yet another hit guaranteed, which can often finish the opponent off.

So these combos can range from the relatively simple (Sheik doing Footstool to Fastfall Bair to Fully Charged Needles to single Needle {jab reset} to running upsmash for ~60% if perfectly performed) to the insanely powerful (Kirby doing Footstool to fastfall Nair {I think Nair} to Jab lock to lethal percentages to Forward Smash for the Kill).

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
[removed by request]

Who puts videos on photobucket???

Last edited by a moderator:

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Footstooling is useful.

But it's best when I do it and say "Haha. I just stepped on your head."

Edit: videos on photobucket. lol! Not the video(s) themselves, but the concept.

TheX0913

Smash Apprentice
Jersey City, New Jersey; Cornell at Ithaca, New Yo
There are plenty times in the heat of the moment when an opponent such as faclo does is dair off stage and barely manages to spike the opponent. But he falls along with the opponent and as you jump you would footstool off the opponent. Foot stool is useful because you can't tech it and it techinically doesn't count as a hit so if you land a footstool you can mess up someones recovery.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
it can be useful for some who are fighting characters with weak up b's, but overall i hate it. sometimes i am about to do a combo involving jumping a bit above the opponent and then FOOTSTOOL JUMP!!! so annoying...

I also hate when people footstool jump me in the middle of a combo. it messes up everything.

so in a way it is useful, but i hate it.

shinzou

Smash Cadet
It IS useful, it helps with recovery AND doubles as a spike.... 2 in one deal :p

Liquid_Kai?

Smash Apprentice
Its really usefull as people have said and its a good addition to the game imo

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
It also sets up lock combos, ***** characters with horizontal recovery (LOOKIN AT YOU, DK), and is all around fun.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
There are plenty times in the heat of the moment when an opponent such as faclo does is dair off stage and barely manages to spike the opponent. But he falls along with the opponent and as you jump you would footstool off the opponent. Foot stool is useful because you can't tech it and it techinically doesn't count as a hit so if you land a footstool you can mess up someones recovery.
Pretty sure it can't knock anyone out of their up-b, and I'm even more sure that characters that can get their up-b back after getting hit also get their up-b back after getting footstooled.

ThaRoy

Smash Journeyman
For Marth it is vital because of a maneuver called Veritcal Spacing where you Dair IMMEDIATLY after footstooling. The footstool pushes them down in perfect range for a sweetspot resulting in a spike.

Also, if more then 2 people are fighting footstools are very important due to the hectic battles. Also, whenever their is a sudden shift in which everyone goes to a certain spot (if an item of importance is released or if the map is moving like Delfino and you gotta recover to the platform) footstools are seen here.

zB.

Smash Cadet
As has been said it's useful in specific applications. Just look into whatever characters you're interested in and figure out what they can do with it. It leads into a lot of combos and locks and creates spacing for some characters dairs. For the Ice Climbers it can be used to force an opponent to fall from any throw (throw w/ Popo and footstool with Nana) which sets up for a desynced ice block lock or a ice block reset, forcing your opponent to stand up, and then continuing the infinite. It's a very useful technique simply due to the unique fact that it's an untechable meteor.

Semmick

Smash Journeyman
footstool jump is annoying if your trying to edgehog an olimar, but he just foostool jumps you.
But otherwise, I like it

Top Bottom