• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is the bar too high now?

Birdygamer

Smash Cadet
I got really excited when I saw Spirit Mode in the Nintendo Direct, but then something occurred to me: With each Smash Bros game the bar to make a better game gets higher and harder. First we had N64 of Smash Bros, then we had Melee which had a bigger roster and a story mode. Then Brawl came out with a bigger story mode, epic bosses and stickers to help with stats in story mode. Then we have Smash Bros 4 which had smash run, custom characters, an even bigger roster, and the usage of miis. Now with Ultimate, you have spirit mode, story mode, a massive roster, etc. I think it'll be difficult for the Smash 6 to top this coming one.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
The bar will always be raised. It appears most fans just want new characters. After Ken's and Incineroar's addition, it seemed reactions from certain pro players hoped that wasn't just it. I'm past the roster reduction, only because if more characters are added, I just hope the current characters will be gradually tweaked to improve their properties and moveset. When Samus went from high mid-tier to low low-tier in SSBB, I was disappointed. She improved in SSB4, and I'm hoping due to the different style of play she'll at least be decent.

Sakurai and his team have really gone out of their way to spoil us. Sure, some people didn't get the characters they had hoped for, but all this content is fantastic. The new and improved training mode, the online options, the variety of stages and music . . . Even the concept of a final smash meter was added. It makes me think that perhaps Sakurai has people checking out what fans want. If that's the case, then I think he and his team can meet our expectations. I just think right now, Sakurai needs to take a break. He joked about it in yesterday's Nintendo Direct, but I think there's a bit of seriousness in his comment as well.

For now, just enjoy SSBU. The Switch is still recent, so SSBU should keep us occupied. With a development team, there's going to be all sorts of ideas to come up with. Even if we ended up with the same kind of content like we have in SSBU, I think the focus would be mainly on improving what's already present.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I would wish that a future software update adds custom special moves for every fighter, but that could be asking for too much. But still, when you look at Smash 3DS / Wii U, a majority of the custom special moves used the default special's animations.

Last edited:

Birdygamer

Smash Cadet
The bar will always be raised. It appears most fans just want new characters. After Ken's and Incineroar's addition, it seemed reactions from certain pro players hoped that wasn't just it. I'm past the roster reduction, only because if more characters are added, I just hope the current characters will be gradually tweaked to improve their properties and moveset. When Samus went from high mid-tier to low low-tier in SSBB, I was disappointed. She improved in SSB4, and I'm hoping due to the different style of play she'll at least be decent.

Sakurai and his team have really gone out of their way to spoil us. Sure, some people didn't get the characters they had hoped for, but all this content is fantastic. The new and improved training mode, the online options, the variety of stages and music . . . Even the concept of a final smash meter was added. It makes me think that perhaps Sakurai has people checking out what fans want. If that's the case, then I think he and his team can meet our expectations. I just think right now, Sakurai needs to take a break. He joked about it in yesterday's Nintendo Direct, but I think there's a bit of seriousness in his comment as well.

For now, just enjoy SSBU. The Switch is still recent, so SSBU should keep us occupied. With a development team, there's going to be all sorts of ideas to come up with. Even if we ended up with the same kind of content like we have in SSBU, I think the focus would be mainly on improving what's already present.
I know but unless they make a 3D Smash bros, I still think it'll be difficult to beat

Uffe

Smash Hero
I think all current features will remain in future Smash games. I do suspect a reduced roster in the future, though, because the current character number is just outrageous. So if they do reduce the roster size, I expect a lot of disappointed people, which is to be expected. Anymore inclusion and it may as well just be Mugen. I think people need to see the reality of it all and accept things to come. The sixth Smash game could be the best one, but people think because there is more of something that it's better.

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
I already find even Smash 4s roster to be DECENTLY balanced. Sure, the "pro scene" may have their numbers hyper crunched to have a tier list, but to someone who plays more for fun, I can't say a certain character just infuriates me just be being picked under the premise they are OP. I think this will continue, and as long as Nintendo keeps tabs on the numbers the characters can pump out and keep them decently balanced, they can continue to add more and more over the NEXT 20 years =P

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Melee set the bar as far as the physics (excepting Project M). Regarding the roster, there are a bunch of characters I don't care about, so I don't think having so many is the same as setting a high bar there.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
It's safe to say this is the current peak, and can be tricky to pass, but I don't think it impossible. most think Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 to the the tip of the Vs. franchise for instance, and it had to get over the hurdle of MvC2, which much like Ultimate also brought back the whole roster(minus Norimaro) and was written as an essential Swan Song for the series at the time, despite having 16 less characters then that game.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
YEs, the bar is way too high. Now arguments for literally any fighter are reasonable. The next lame FE character, some long forgotten cartoon character, manga characters, even peoples' OC, are now "deserving" f being in Smash because of the bar that's been set.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I honestly wouldn't be that concerned if the following get cut next time. :ultdoc::ultpichu::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink: I mean, the last two barely got anything to differentiate them at all in Ultimate, which makes one ask what the point was.

YEs, the bar is way too high. Now arguments for literally any fighter are reasonable. The next lame FE character, some long forgotten cartoon character, manga characters, even peoples' OC, are now "deserving" f being in Smash because of the bar that's been set.
Just about everything but your first point is not allowed though. PP may be breaking new ground, but he is still a video game character

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
The circumstances behind this game were a perfect storm that allowed them to bring back every character who's ever been playable. It's also been stated that this is probably the only time this can happen. We don't have to worry about this for a while because the Switch will likely have a pretty good lifespan and DLC will likely last beyond the first pack (because money), but once that time comes, Smash might be taken in a new direction.

As for the single-player content? It had peaked during Melee, in my opinion. Break the Targets, Classic Mode that didn't take 1,000 years to load each match, and Adventure Mode with its good variety to it and that was more replayable than Subspace was. Brawl was fine, and Subspace was great, but Classic Mode took too long to load and Break the Targets was a far cry from its former glory. If you're wondering why I haven't mentioned Home-Run Contest, Multi-Man Mode, and Event Mode, it's because those had very little replayability because of their one-dimensionality. You beat them, you got what they unlocked, and you moved on. The fact that Smash 4 brought them back alongside that Target Smash thing was pointless, and I'm glad all 4 have been removed in Ultimate.

Now, there's no telling if Spirit Mode will have the hook that it looks designed to have, with new battles having conditions themed around a massive roster of characters cycling out every few minutes. The single-player experience will hinge on how this mode was executed.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I honestly wouldn't be that concerned if the following get cut next time. :ultdoc::ultpichu::ultyounglink::ulttoonlink: I mean, the last two barely got anything to differentiate them at all in Ultimate, which makes one ask what the point was.

Just about everything but your first point is not allowed though. PP may be breaking new ground, but he is still a video game character
That's not stopping people from making the requests, which is all the more annoying.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I think the bar is very high when we look to the roster and stages. But on singleplayer modes and online system, not at all. Spirits looks cool, but it's not quite the singleplayer mode I wanted, that would be something like a fighting-plataformer and not only stages with challenges like a better Events Mode. I think the game could provide some different singleplayer/cooperative modes too. And for the online system, it still doesnt have dedicated servers or a ranked system. There is space for improvement in a next game. But sure, if they will be able to have all the roster in a next iteration of the series, I'm not sure. But if the roster is a bit smaller but the game improves on these areas, I will totally be ok with that.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I believe all the first party characters will make it into the next game, it's prob the 3rd partys sakurai was refering to

Top Bottom